• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lausebub

Banned
Yeah, IdeaMan, you don't only provide as with some hints, but you also post news here and discuss random stuff, which makes you way cooler like lherre. And you also try to keep people on the ground, if they become to impatient, because of the lack of news. :)

EVH

To clarify on what was said, it was more along the lines of Nintendo tweaked the Wii U to make sure it can run UE4.

which would explain the recent bump in specs... and apparently Nintendo is still tweaking the hardware. So it could get even better.

It sounds too good to be true, so I don't really believe it, but if anyone here knows some info that BlacknMild2k1 is a safe source then it would be great.

But still, I really don't see Nintendo making such an intelligent move with UE4.

Something I would like to see with WiiU is some sort of standarization for the tools / menus of the console. I mean, in 3DS, each Nintendo tool looks too diferent and feels like a puzzle built with pieces from other puzzles. And usually pretty stupid. Does not feel really pleasant for the eyes.

Ah and of course in-game chat.

IdeaMan keeps us going in the right direction. If we stray too far to the edges, he's always there to get us back on track :)

This, plus he provides interesting bits of information and sources to keep an eye on.

He's just a loving kinda guy.

Akai

It sounds too good to be true, so I don't really believe it, but if anyone here knows some info that BlacknMild2k1 is a safe source then it would be great

I can only speak for BlacknMild in that he's always been an honest guy, and I can't see any reason why that would change now. This instead falls back on how much he trusts his friend as a reliable source...

Deguello

I know BlacknMild as well, and he's not the sort to go around spouting bullshit or go around trolling people.

As for his source? I don't know.

I see so if we praise him enough he will tell us what he knows? :3

you guys are clever, clever :)

Hey leave BlackNMild2k1 alone that was the best news in Months! B E L I E V E or eat crow

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
let's ban IdeaMan anyway since he knows stuff and wont tell us :p

Well, as i explained in this post, i don't know if the Wii U is capable of running UE4, because i don't know what is necessary to define UE4 and the specifications of the console GPU.

Now, if V4/V5 dev kits aren't able to handle UE4 because of the absence of a graphical feature on the GPU, let's hope Nintendo have the time and the money to change it "this late" in hardware development. If it's a lack of raw calculation power to run this engine at 720p average fps/IQ, but the featureset is here, they could increase the frequency of some components while maintaining an acceptable temperature, through cooling system tweaking, adoption of a GPU of similar architecture but with more power, etc. The 3DS development told us again (because they did it in previous hardware also) that Nintendo can change the guts of their machine rather late.

Risgroo

If the WiiU is capable of receiving downports of the major third party titles, I'll manage with just one console. I'll buy the WiiU anyway, since the thought of Nintendo games in HD is too good to resist, so it'd be ideal if I could stick to just one console.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
To clarify on what was said, it was more along the lines of Nintendo tweaked the Wii U to make sure it can run UE4.

which would explain the recent bump in specs... and apparently Nintendo is still tweaking the hardware. So it could get even better.

Just a precision. The "recent bump in specs" that we talk about since the end of last year/start of January has already benefited the V4 dev kits that third parties have. And according to lherre, the "V5" ones for Nintendo & First Parties (and soon the third i guess if it's not already the case) represent a small increase of FPS in a known engine compare to the V4 (so i guess not the boost in power required if v4 couldn't handle the UE4).

Now, did Nintendo "tweaked the Wii U" even more very recently to run UE4, if it wasn't capable of it before ? That's the question :)

Just a precision. The "recent bump in specs" that we talk about since the end of last year/start of January has already benefited the V4 dev kits that third parties have. And according to lherre, the "V5" ones for Nintendo & First Parties (and soon the third i guess if it's not already the case) represent a small increase of FPS in a known engine compare to the V4 (so i guess not the boost in power required if v4 couldn't handle the UE4).

Now, did Nintendo "tweaked the Wii U" even more very recently to run UE4, if it wasn't capable of it before ? That's the question :)

stop trying to keep us grounded with your real world logicman!

WiiUE4EVAR!

TunaLover

wrong they do care not for in house games but they do care

Nah, they always has been a closed company that doesn't care have much idea of what is happening outside the NCL headquarters, meh. This whole "we are working close with 3rd parties now" is not new, I will not believe again until I actually see it.

TunaLover

That's why they've struck a rather unique licensing deal with Autodesk and Havok, right? Because they don't care about external middleware or third parties?

I was surprised by this move, I think it's very positive, but it UE4 is totally different because it means they probably need tweaks some internal components, and if Nintendo already made its mind about hardware I doubt they will change it too much in order to run a specific engine, hopefully I'm wrong.

Nibel

Does even Nintendo knows that UE4 exist? I don't think they care too much about it to be honest.

The majority of AAA games this gen was based on UE 3.

Of course they know who the hell Epic are. And they know about Unreal engine and especially its importance in today's gaming industry.
Supporting the Unreal engine means supporting third party publishers.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
That's why they've struck a rather unique licensing deal with Autodesk and Havok, right? Because they don't care about external middleware or third parties?

That + all their R&D history with a lot of Big N techies, some of them in the field, in the USA and not only in Japan, well aware of all the technical advancements in hardware.

We already talked about the N64 development with all the SGI teasing. But remember the Gamecube, with the promoted partnership with IBM, all the copper technology CPU, the collaboration with ArtX, Mosys with their 1T-SRAM, etc.

Nintendo love technology. If the Wii disappointed people eager for HD, it's for particular reasons, not because "they're stuck in 80's with MOS Technology 6502 processors".

Would be cheaper for AMD and Nintendo to just put a 68xx class GPU in the box, rather than going to all the trouble of customising a 48xx class part to that degree.

When Nintendo and AMD started deving the Wii-U chip, a 6xxx line chip may not have been feasible yet. Remember they probably started deving this quite some time ago. A 6xxx chip may have been too expensive at the time, or not give them the starting base they wanted, or they were unsure when the die shrinkage was going to happen etc etc.

Nibel

Is this the Retro game which is in "crunch mode"? If so, then will we see their Wii U project anytime soon? That 3D Donkey Kong is really unexpected.

DCKing

When Nintendo and AMD started deving the Wii-U chip, a 6xxx line chip may not have been feasible yet. Remember they probably started deving this quite some time ago. A 6xxx chip may have been too expensive at the time, or not give them the starting base they wanted, or they were unsure when the die shrinkage was going to happen etc etc.
Nonsense. The 6xxx series of GPUs started development before the Wii U GPU did. The 7xxx series even probably started before the Wii U GPU was designed on the drawing board.

z0m3le

Banned
Nonsense. The 6xxx series of GPUs started development before the Wii U GPU did. The 7xxx series even probably started before the Wii U GPU was designed on the drawing board.

They were already planning the Wii U specs in 2009, so while AMD had 7000 series on a drawing board, it was still 3 cycles away, and being 28nm, I think they would of held off on that, but the 6000 series would be very easily available to them, seeing as how those prototypes were coming out in 2010 and were still 40nm, What is interesting is they will be such a custom part, that some of the chip could have components from all 4 of the last gpu lines, since AMD had to make concessions to the 5000 and 6000 line for DX11, the 4800 series actually did do somethings more efficiently. A mixture of all 4 cards would be ideal, but it without doubt (at least to me) has parts from all 3 former GPU series from AMD.

I couldn't keep up with this thread over my weekend, there is no way i can catch up before we hit 400 pages at this point. ACE hope you're ready.

DCKing

They were planning the Wii U specs in 2009. They did not design the Wii U GPU in 2009. Those are two different things.

The Wii U GPU will be comparable to 2011 and 2012 GPUs. Not 2008 or 2009 ones.

They were planning the Wii U specs in 2009. They did not design the Wii U GPU in 2009. Those are two different things.

there will be 100 trolls that will call the WiiU 2008 tech after launch no matter what the facts are unless it runs UE4

Quoting for truth. Just because initial planning and early dev kits were built around an old GPU, it doesn't mean the end result will be the same.

Manufacturers don't develop a system without future components in mind, else we'd constantly get products with obsolete/irrelevant parts.

z0m3le

Banned

That is pretty much what I said, but they were designing the gpu late 2009, it takes a while to design a proc, and we know that they had physical chips in those wiiu demo units last e3.

Since the 6000 series was on paper in 2009 and possibly physical by the end of 2010 as a prototype, I think what we are saying is basically the same thing.

DCKing

there will be 100 trolls that will call the WiiU 2008 tech after launch no matter what the facts are unless it runs UE4
UE4 is not some alien technology that needs much power to run on anything. UE4 will run on the Xbox 360 too, if Epic ports it.

People seem to think a new engine will make Samaritan graphics possible instantly, but that's BS. A good engine doesn't suddenly make hardware capable of doing more calculations or more effects. UE3 can already do all the effects and calculations on PC hardware. It's just a framework that may make it easier to access the power needed to do all of it. UE4 will undoubtedly be a better framework than UE3, but it's still going to run on iPads and other low end stuff.

The Wii U will run UE4. That doesn't mean the games look like Samaritan, or better than UE3 games even.

z0m3le

Banned
UE4 is not some alien technology that needs much power to run on anything. UE4 will run on the Xbox 360 too, if Epic ports it.

People seem to think a new engine will make Samaritan graphics possible instantly, but that's BS. A good engine doesn't suddenly make hardware capable of doing more calculations or more effects. UE3 can already do all the effects and calculations on PC hardware. It's just a framework that may make it easier to access the power needed to do all of it. UE4 will undoubtedly be a better framework than UE3, but it's still going to run on iPads and other low end stuff.

The Wii U will run UE4. That doesn't mean the games look like Samaritan, or better than UE3 games even.

While what you said is 100% correct, you aren't taking into account that scaling an engine means a lot, and Wii U running UE4 means more than just it's running the bare minimum that Ipads can run, if Nintendo had to upgrade anything, it means they are targeting a recommended (from epic's console targets) version of the engine, something with all the eye candy you'll see on ps4/xbox3 though probably scaled back a small amount.

Nibel

Ok, third topic is done and ready to go when this one closes.
Thanks to everyone that's helped.
:D

I have high hopes in you. Don't disappoint me, Ace!
If you still need anything then tell us, we will help you on your way to glory
(that brother is doomed)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm excited for the third thread! I'm going to flood it with possible U-Pad questions/ideas along with possible games so we can finally stop talking about graphics.

I just hope it goes up tonight/tomorrow morning because I'm currently in the process of moving. :/

DCKing

While what you said is 100% correct, you aren't taking into account that scaling an engine means a lot, and Wii U running UE4 means more than just it's running the bare minimum that Ipads can run, if Nintendo had to upgrade anything, it means they are targeting a recommended (from epic's console targets) version of the engine, something with all the eye candy you'll see on ps4/xbox3 though probably scaled back a small amount.
Well yeah. The point is that "running UE4" tells isn't something special and that it doesn't automatically imply every game can run on the Wii U.

The Wii would have had UE3 if it would have had fully programmable shaders too, but it wouldn't have had ports of Mass Effect.

Hey guys, IF the Wii-u had, for example 64 MB of EDRAM How much antialiasing would it do?

And also, How does The EDRAM-Antialiasing relationship go?

Because with some good anti aliasing and Antisotropic Filtering it could look better than those Dolphin pics, Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom