• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Put more love in, grasp it tighter, roll that bread up!

NONE OF THEM. Holy derpface Batman.

Luckily the show itself has much better artwork.

It's certainly not making my experience with Yami any easier.

Yami is tons of fun. Well...tons of something that might be defined as fun.
It is so utterly nonsense that it is endearing.

holy fuck the innuendo in this show's fucking phenomenal

Indeed. But i think we are all just dirty old men seeing something in a pure hearted show.

Tony Taka's art already sucked so not much damage there.

Yeah his artwork of Horo is particularly lovely.
Its a style that seems very easy to fuck up and they definitely have.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Maria-sama ga Miteru 09

Maria-sama6.png

Rosa Gigantea is so awesome. I thought Mifuyu was going to be like Kurumi from Kimi ni Todoke and just hate on Yumi while refusing to do anything on her end to improve the relationship (lol) between herself and Sachiko.
But instead she just gives up. :lol

Not much to talk about with this episode besides the lady killer that is Rosa Gigantea.
Seeing Yoshino upset after not finding Rei's card was adorable.

Jintor

Oh, sorry. I only have a retailer pamphlet with me at the moment, but let me look up Madman's RRP (they're the larger company so they set the standard prices).

It feels like they tier pricing based on series popularity and other factors. I'll just drop a few numbers for now - all cash in AUD. Movies are generally DVD$25, Blu-Ray $30; collections are DVD$60, Blu-ray $60, same tier pricing.

New Release pricing is a bit tougher to get a grip on and a lot more expensive. Vol 1 of Madoka, which is only just coming out, is $30 DVD and $35 Blu-ray (or $35 DVD with collector's box and $40 with box). OVAs are on movie-tier pricing, so DVD$25 and Blu-Ray $30, while Ghibli movies command a premium: DVD$30 and Blu-ray $40.

Saint Seiya Omega 3

Why the hell did Geki turn into a bishounen Charles? The guy looks so bad now.

So there are still gold saints around, eh? I wonder if it's anyone we know. I hope we get a female gold saint this series since it seems like they want to tear down the walls discrimination in this one. That's always a plus.

Mostly a boring episode otherwise. The fight at the end was alright, but needed to be longer.

Luckily the show itself has much better artwork.

Yami is tons of fun. Well...tons of something that might be defined as fun.
It is so utterly nonsense that it is endearing.

Indeed. But i think we are all just dirty old men seeing something in a pure hearted show.

Yeah his artwork of Horo is particularly lovely.
Its a style that seems very easy to fuck up and they definitely have.

lol I'm pretty sure that some of the hentais based off his doujins looked better than this... which is about as low as you can go =/

It's a shame... after Tales of Abyss, I was beginning to believe that rpgs to anime might actually end up ok if done well.

wonzo

Banned
The Dark Myth (Anoku Shinwa)

How much mythology can you fit into an hour and a half? More than you'd think!

I was going to post about this last night, but I think I needed some time to digest what I watched. I had heard this was "bad anime" in the vein of Garzey's Wing or Black Lion, and while that's certainly the case, it has its own unique approach to being terrible.
well i'm sold. will watch

P9o2f.gif

The true Lovecraft show of this season, clearly.
how the fuck did i miss this. incredible

Ultimadrago

Why do you ask, out of curiousity?

I was planning see the possibility of importing, as MadMan Entertainment has distribution rights to Nichijou and last I've heard, are planning to release it, though they haven't given a date yet.

Just wanted an idea of what to expect pricing wise (not including the extra for import).

Damn... just realize I had obtained 30 followers on minus in the 2 months or so that I've started making gifs of animes and what not.

This hole is getting deep.

iUdU1xs6j6ygP.gif

Articalys

Ooh man, I would love to see this.
The Museum of Art, Kochi is now holding a special exhibition "The World of Yamamoto Nizo" covering more than 30 years of Nizo Yamamoto's anime background works from April 14 to June 3. To celebrate the start of the event, Yamamoto himself was invited and his talk session and autograph session were held yesterday.

0fMvA.jpg
J7AFD.jpg
Some excerpts from his talk yesterday:
-- The most memorable film in his career was definitely Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies. He was drawing the bombed-out landscapes in the film with tears in his eyes. It was a very depressing but worthy film to make.

-- He described Miyazaki as "a genius who can always give his best effort". Also he felt sometimes Miyazaki was too demanding from others and not good at appreciating it. When making Laputa, Miyazaki asked him, "How long do you sleep a day?" "About seven hours," Yamamoto answered. Then Miyazaki scolded him so harshly, "Too long! Four hours is enough for human!" And Miyazaki actually slept only four hours a day. Yamamoto remembered, "He was really like Napoléon."

-- He stopped working for Studio Ghibli after Spirited Away (2001) because of Miyazaki's ungrateful attitude. He was so angry that he refused his bonus from Ghibli (Spirited Away was the most successful film in Japanese history).

Jintor

I was planning see the possibility of importing, as MadMan Entertainment has distribution rights to Nichijou and last I've heard, are planning to release it, though they haven't given a date yet.

Just wanted an idea of what to expect pricing wise (not including the extra for import).

I wouldn't bother until they have a collection.

Also, if you're in the US, I would assume shipping to be murder since it is from the US to here.

That said generally speaking I rather like Madman, and not just because they're the only guys out here for most everything. Even though they have a virtual monopoly here, they're smart enough to realise the market is far too small in Australia to totally gouge.

Ultimadrago

I wouldn't bother until they have a collection.

Also, if you're in the US, I would assume shipping to be murder since it is from the US to here.

That said generally speaking I rather like Madman, and not just because they're the only guys out here for most everything. Even though they have a virtual monopoly here, they're smart enough to realise the market is far too small in Australia to totally gouge.

If MadMan ends up as the only non-Japanese distributor for me after "a while", I don't mind high shipping.

As for the collection thing, yeah depending on how they split it, I'll probably have to wait for one anyways. Doesn't hurt to hear about some of the pricing though.

Vrakanox

I watched the shining hearts anime and was so pissed that it was not in fact about slaying goblins or kobolds but actually about selling bread.

Love how it tries to change kobolds to cuckolds lol.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
-- He described Miyazaki as "a genius who can always give his best effort". Also he felt sometimes Miyazaki was too demanding from others and not good at appreciating it. When making Laputa, Miyazaki asked him, "How long do you sleep a day?" "About seven hours," Yamamoto answered. Then Miyazaki scolded him so harshly, "Too long! Four hours is enough for human!" And Miyazaki actually slept only four hours a day. Yamamoto remembered, "He was really like Napoléon."
Typical quantity-over-quality idiocy you'd expect from shitty management.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Where is that quote where Oshii talks about the difference between working for Miyazaki and working for him?
What do other animators think of Ghibli? As far as I know, they basically respect Ghibli. It's half love, and half hate. A general response would be: it's a tremendous place, but I don't want to go there. Because they control you too tightly (at Ghibli). For example, (they tell you) come in at 10 in the morning and go home at 10 in the evening, and you just keep on working for one or two years. At my place, no one comes in till evening, and no one knows who is doing what. And (the project) ends within 8 to 10 months cause I get bored.

Jintor

If MadMan ends up as the only non-Japanese distributor for me after "a while", I don't mind high shipping.

As for the collection thing, yeah depending on how they split it, I'll probably have to wait for one anyways. Doesn't hurt to hear about some of the pricing though.

Also, Madman doesn't do dubbing or anything, so I don't know why they would pick up a series that doesn't already have a funimation release or whatever. WHat's up with that?

Ultimadrago

Yeah, I'm fine with it not being dubbed. Reportedly, MadMan said they'd wait out to see if any other potential distributors were going to dub it (lol), before just releasing a subbed version. I don't know why they had it first, they co-owned the license with Bandai before they left physical anime distribution (or so I think, not very certain how these things work). Maybe Bandai had a larger initial influence in the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom