• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What direction do you guys think the next, mainline Mario game will head in?

Mario 64 and Sunshine were pretty open while Galaxy's more linear and streamlined. Which style do you think (or would like) the next mainline Mario game to fall under?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
evolution of the galaxy style. i think nintendo know they landed on something pretty damn special, and they won't try to make any massive, drastic changes so soon after finding a sweet spot.

You mean the next 3D one?

If it's on the 3DS, I can see it being similar to Mario 3D Land, which is linear.

If it's on the Wii U, I think they've done away with the Mario 64-style non-linear gameplay. :( But it'll be a great game, nonetheless.

evolution of the galaxy style. i think nintendo know they landed on something pretty damn special, and they won't try to make any massive, drastic changes so soon after finding a sweet spot.
Pretty much this. In a way, Super Mario 3D Land was already this, given the fairly linear level design with a by-and-large immovable camera angle.

Might be a devolution, if you're really cynical and consider how much it borrowed from the original titles as well. Either way, I loved it, and would like more in this direction - although tossing less lives in my direction wouldn't hurt.

That being said, it'd be nice if they went back to Super Mario 64's sort of design, where you have a fairly self-contained playground you can dick around in, often with a sort of upward ascent mixed in wherein missing a jump typically just sets you back a bit instead of killing you outright, and several goals scattered about to be tackled in pretty much any order you see fit.

I want them to surprise me. That's one of the things I like about the Mario series. It used to be one of the things I liked about the 2D games also.

Hiltz

I do prefer Galaxy's pick up and play style due to its bit-sized level design. However, I would be fine with a more open environments. Just please bring back the Cloud Suit and continue with the orchestrated music. Oh, and I'd scream like a school girl if the Penguin Suit and Kuribo's shoe were included as well.

Nintendo's briefly discussed the challenges it had with making Mario Galaxy 2, so I don't think we'll see a third game done in the same style. In any case, fan expectations are going to be difficult to live up to. Like with Mario Galaxy and Mario 64, I want Nintendo to surprise me (but not like Mario Sunshine) . Maybe it's time to move on to something new.

Ambitious

I'd like a (semi-) open world game set in the Mushroom Kingdom, with the usual regions (desert, forest, castles, icy mountains, walkable clouds above, SMG-like planets even higher) and some new/old upgrades like the cape from SMW.
But I have the feeling we'll never get this.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't think it'll be 3D Land; people must remember that game was designed to sell the 3D effect of the 3DS. It's largely fixed and often isometric camera view is the tip off.

Really, where 3D Mario goes next is anyone's guess. EAD really does like to change things up. Galaxy 2 only happened because they had so much content left over. It very well could go back to a sandboxy game, though probably with lessons learned from Galaxy.

I've been fond of the concept of a Mario in which it is technically a "sandbox" and you can see the entire game world at all times in the distance, but each individual platforming area is more linear and benefits from the design concepts in Galaxy and 3D Land.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
there is only one direction unconquered

super-marionuy9t.jpg

bomma_man

History suggests that they won't be going back to sandbox design, but if they do I hope it has more actual platforming than SM64 and Sunshine. Those games were about exploration more than anything else. I don't think it's necessarily impossible to reconcile the more open design with Galaxy's but it certainly won't be easy.

MAtgS

I think the Galaxies & 3D Land played the linear style far enough. It'll be a welcome change of pace now to have more explorable worlds like Sunshine, just with more environment variety & less water packs.

Bombadil

Banned
A free roam RPG with a bunch of classic 2D minigames peppered into the landscape.

I wonder if Mario will ever included darker themes.

Leave Galaxy alone and do something new. That's how we got things like Galaxy, 64, and Sunshine in the first place. Let Nintendo be Nintendo and create a different type of mario again.

he's going to save the princess, give us the same gamplay as mario 64 and everyone will praise it.

it's the circle of mario, expecting anything more is a waste of time.

KevinCow

Banned
I wouldn't mind a more open world Mario game.

Like, in Sunshine, you know how you can see different levels on the island from whatever level you're in? I've always thought it would be awesome if you could just walk from one area to another.

KevinCow

Banned
I would love a full Yoshi game with the pointer-tongue mechanics of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

One of the many reasons I'm pissed about the move away from the pointer.

Pointer tongue and pointer egg throwing.

Plus a graphical style that translates the crayon style into 3D, like the Yoshi's Island stage in Brawl.

I would love a full Yoshi game with the pointer-tongue mechanics of Super Mario Galaxy 2.

One of the many reasons I'm pissed about the move away from the pointer.

Knowing a tiny bit on how nintendo operates, i wouldnt be surprised if this was an early game prototype that didnt get the greenlight for various reasons and some producer went into the prototype vault that they have and suggested it for the sequel.

I want something completely revolutionary in the 3D platforming genre like Galaxy was in 2007, but if I had to choose between those two styles for the next game I'd choose the evolution of 64/Sunshine. We've gotten plenty of linear 3D Mario lately, it's time those take a break.

Can you just imagine a proper HD hub world that's grander than Princess Peach's Castle in 64?! And I wonder how the tablet controller would be used to enhance open world Mario.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Probably something that uses the Wii U tablet gimmick to help sell it. Can't say I'm excited.

Specifics of Nintendo games are always hard to predict. I foresee another 3D game that employs the camera on the tablet controller more than the tablet itself, which is pretty limited because it's like having a DS, only you can't see both screens at once, dividing the experience and making it essentially less intuitive. With the camera they can shape worlds according to people's emotions, etc. Many more possibilities that are unexplored, by Nintendo anyways.

KingK

I liked Sunshine more than Galaxy and never even beat Galaxy 2.

*runs*

although I've never been a huge Mario fan

spliced

I want Mario 64 style. I like to really dig my teeth into levels like Mario 64.

Either way though please no more star bits.

Whatever the next 3D Mario turns out to be, I hope we get another (and much better executed) Throwback Galaxy-like stage. I want to see a beautifully detailed, HD Bob-omb Battlefield. The nostalgia rush would be overwhelming. Hell, if they remade Mario 64 I'd be in heaven. Dat hub world. The DS remake isn't enough.

A game in which Mario sets out to stomp on enemies, consumes mushrooms among other things, crawls through pipes and attempts to rescue Peach who was kidnapped by Bowser or any other villain of your choice.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I want the open, Mario 64 style. But I'm expecting the linear, Galaxy style. I'm fine with both.

Pretty much this. With the success of the galaxy series, I think the new Mario will be another galaxy series. Though I'd be just as happy with another 64 as well. Either way, I win.

Yagharek

They need some MC Escher style mindfuck levels in whatever they decide to go with.

Open a la SM64 or short but sweet ideas like SMG - either is fine. A mix of both too.

Top Bottom