• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

that might have been a misstep, the thing is, persona 2 is VASTLY different than 3 and 4, and 2 arguably has the worst game play of all of them, but by far the best story and characters. If you can deal with that, then go right on ahead, but just a heads up...

It's alright ! I asked GAF and people seem to like both P2 and P3 in general. I don't mind a game with good story too. I didn't expect them to have the same gameplay in the first place.

I really want a Vita but I have the tremendous fear that the minute I buy one I'm gonna hear about a new iteration of the thing that'll have four joysticks or something and my "version" will be obsolete.

Same thing with the 3DS actually.

Hoping something gets announced at E3 but...idk.

Teknoman

I really want a Vita but I have the tremendous fear that the minute I buy one I'm gonna hear about a new iteration of the thing that'll have four joysticks or something and my "version" will be obsolete.

The only improvement I can see with the 3DS is a bigger screen/second analog stick. For Vita? Maybe slimmer, but thats about it. Both could use alot of firmware updates, but neither really seems that bad physically.

Cookie18

The PSP and PS3 haven't ever really had a revision other than slimming down. I doubt the Vita will be any different, especially when nobody has come up with anything that it needs, unlike the 3DS.

Hmm, yeah I guess the only real changes that came to the PSP were the slimming down and unlocking of more horsepower (pretty damn important) but that didn't come until later in it's life...good point.

As for the 3DS, I know that dual stick version is gonna be announced 30 seconds after I purchase one.

Not including the Go since it was a huge flop what changes? It only seemed to lose weight.

1000-2000 doubled the ram,smaller base size, video out
2000-3000 added mic

and theres the go :/

though im not disputing your point of I dont see anything they can really do to the Vita....i dont think they can make it any slimmer lol

Cookie18

2000-3000 added mic

I didn't know it got a boost in ram. That seems like a weird upgrade though. Could developers actually take advantage of it since earlier PSPs wouldn't be able to play games?

Tailer

I didn't know it got a boost in ram. That seems like a weird upgrade though. Could developers actually take advantage of it since earlier PSPs wouldn't be able to play games?

Nah it was more about making the games load faster and better browser but that's as far as I know, the Vita on the other hand could be a very nice win situation considering you can be doing real multitasking, plus it could allow for full access to ram later(so you can't do anything else besides being in party), unless you have the revision. Yeah pretty bad explanation but whatever(I'm tired I'll blame that as usual XD).

2000-3000 added mic

though im not disputing your point of I dont see anything they can really do to the Vita....i dont think they can make it any slimmer lol

Also, the screen quality, fixed issues like the digital pad, etc. As you say, the design of the Vita is so good that is very difficult to improve without compromising the compatibility of the games for all versions. The only thing that could be added that won't compromise the compatibility is a internal memory, and extra battery. Slimmer of lighter versions are not even needed.

Cookie18

Thanks for the replies guys. I think they could possibly add a better battery to the Vita but I doubt that could happen for 2-4 years.

Side note: I just noticed that Raptr tracks Vita games now, very cool since it doesn't have the time played feature the the 3DS does.

Edit: Raptr doesn't appear to tell you the time you've played but it does raise your rank the more you play Vita games. Weird since they're both based on time played.

P90

Also, the screen quality, fixed issues like the digital pad, etc. As you say, the design of the Vita is so good that is very difficult to improve without compromising the compatibility of the games for all versions. The only thing that could be added that won't compromise the compatibility is a internal memory, and extra battery. Slimmer of lighter versions are not even needed.

I differ. I find the PS Vita design to be sorely lacking. The buttons are too small. The analog sticks have a cheap feel and lack proper resistance. The roundedness of the triggers is excessive. The Vita seems to be about bells and whistles, not actual game ergonomics. I find the PSP to be clearly superior in overall design. Obviously, YMMV.

Verelios

I havent had the chance to use the D-pad in any games yet...but how well does it work?

Good for me, and I mainly do combos in BlazBlue and MarvVsCap with the D-Pad. It's no problem. But the buttons- dear god the face buttons. Getting to triangle and circle, and then trying to get to X is like hell. They're so tiny!

I really hope that's fixed in a revision because my thumb is going to lose color soon.

theBishop

Banned

Other than colors, I doubt another Vita model is around the corner. The PSP 2000 model was released 2 years after launch, and people had some real gripes with the original PSP. Unless Vita 2000 adds something big like auto-3D, I don't think a revision would be as necessary. The hardware is really well designed and comfortable. Vita's action buttons are a little small, and the overall size is large. It's hard to see how Vita could be comfortable AND smaller without shrinking that awesome screen. Tough choices.

With 3DS, the frankenstick looms large. People already had complaints about 3DS' battery life and screen quality. Since then Nintendo put out the right stick, which is actually getting decent software support. It seems inevitable that the 3DS revision will include a right stick.

The PSP and PS3 haven't ever really had a revision other than slimming down. I doubt the Vita will be any different, especially when nobody has come up with anything that it needs, unlike the 3DS.

They could add 4G LTE to you know, make the wireless worthwhile.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Looking through all the PSN minis, I found a few interesting ones. Anyone can confirm whether any of these work on US Vita? I'd also very much appreciate gameplay impressions.

Alien Zombie Death
Archibalds Adventure
Athena
Bashi Blocks
Block Cascade
Boom Beats
Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter
Carnivores: Ice Age (Not in the OP list)
Cohort Chess (Not in the OP list)
Doodle Fit
Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Not in the OP list)
Gamocracy One: Legend of Robo7 (Not in the OP list)
History Egypt Engineering an Empire
Hysteria Project 2 (Not in the OP list)
I must run!
The Impossible Game (Not in the OP list)
PixnLove Rush (Not in the OP list)
Monsters (probably) stole my princess

Edit: just wrote up the list while checking PSN, gonna cross check with the OP list now. Still would like to read some impressions :)

Edit2: Just making sure, all the ones listed in the OP will work? And would be awesome if someone could verify that the other games do, in fact, NOT work.

2000-3000 added mic

I'm pretty sure slimmer smaller design will come in the futuree, but obviously not this year. sure right now they're playing up the big oled screen size as a plus, but if there's any complaint from the media about vita hardware is that it's kinda big for handheld.

I fully expect a psp sized vita some time in the future maybe in summer 2014.

I fully expect a psp sized vita some time in the future maybe in summer 2014.

they could very well do this but id be surprised. The one thing that seems to be a common thread when someone gets their hands on a Vita is "holy shit that screen is beautiful".

I certainly see they could do that and might make a Vita-lite but to me youd be slimming down one of its greatest features.

Agent X

They could attempt a more "pocketable" version in the future, similar to how the PSP Go was much smaller than the PSP it was based on.

they could very well do this but id be surprised. The one thing that seems to be a common thread when someone gets their hands on a Vita is "holy shit that screen is beautiful".

I certainly see they could do that and might make a Vita-lite but to me youd be slimming down one of its greatest features.

the screen is beautiful because of oled, not because of the size imo, actually, making it smaller resulting in higher dpi screen might make it look even better.

Is there a list of new PSP downloads coming out? Or is the current list all that is going to be in the foreseeable future in terms of downloadable PSP games?

Cookie18

Is there a list of new PSP downloads coming out? Or is the current list all that is going to be in the foreseeable future in terms of downloadable PSP games?

I don't believe there is any sort of coming soon list but I do believe that Sony is regularly adding titles to the list of compatibility.

Looking through all the PSN minis, I found a few interesting ones. Anyone can confirm whether any of these work on US Vita? I'd also very much appreciate gameplay impressions.

Alien Zombie Death
Archibalds Adventure
Athena
Bashi Blocks
Block Cascade
Boom Beats
Doodle Fit
History Egypt Engineering an Empire (Not in the OP list)
I must run!

Edit: just wrote up the list while checking PSN, gonna cross check with the OP list now. Still would like to read some impressions :)

Edit2: Just making sure, all the ones listed in the OP will work? And would be awesome if someone could verify that the other games do, in fact, NOT work.

I Must Run! won't work but the rest should be fine, though a number of them will need to be transferred from PS3.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I Must Run! won't work but the rest should be fine, though a number of them will need to be transferred from PS3.

That game is in the list in the OP though.. Tried it yourself? PS3 transfer isnt the issue, I just dont want to spend money on games I cant transfer/wont be able to play.

tearsofash

If I'm transferring a mini from the PS3 does it have to be installed already or does it have to be a bubble icon in order to work?

Toma

If I'm transferring a mini from the PS3 does it have to be installed already or does it have to be a bubble icon in order to work?

Needs to be a bubble. The rest is super easy, the Vita will tell you what to do after connecting it to the PS3.

Raine

Am i the only one who had completely forgot about that Killzone game? I wonder if we'll see anything at E3 or if it's still even happening.

Am i the only one who had completely forgot about that Killzone game? I wonder if we'll see anything at E3 or if it's still even happening.

we got a script leak of intro speeches a few weeks ago. it's still in development, I hope they do something different like making 4 playable character like Killzone 1, or add some tactical squad command element like Liberation to KZ4.

I love Killzone 3.

edit: crap I forgot we're in Vita thread and that's for KZ4. oh well, I'm sure Killzone Vita is still in development.

DiscoJer

Alien Zombie Death
Archibalds Adventure
Athena
Bashi Blocks
Block Cascade
Boom Beats
Doodle Fit
History Egypt Engineering an Empire
I must run!

We've got reviews of virtually every mini (except the German ones and I haven't finished Nom Nation yet). I don't have Vita, but the other guy who writes there does and is in the process of doing a Vita compatibility list

http://www.pspminis.com/list-games/?sort=name&type=asc

Alien Zombie Death is a pretty fun shooter, you jump from level to level sort of like elevator action without the elevators (just jumping up or down). In a lot of ways it's like a twin stick shooter designed for the PSP's lack of a second stick, because all your enemies are either left or right of you, and you don't need to shoot diagonally.

Archibald's Adventure is a very good puzzle platformer. Really good but overlooked game with over a 150 levels.

Athena is an old SNK game which I thought was terrible, but people seem to like.

Bashi Blocks is an okay breakout clone with a soccer theme. Lots of levels.

Block Cascade Fusion is basically a Lumines clone, only using of forming squares with the colored blocks, you have to match 5 colored blocks in a row

Carnivores is the old PC game, basically it's a safari on a planet full of dinosaurs. If you like hunting games you might like it. The graphics are closer to PS1 than PSP.

Cohort Chess is okay, but the AI isn't very good (I could beat it on medium and I'm not very good at Chess). Just chess with some added puzzles.

Doodle Fit is a pretty fun puzzle game, you basically have to fit tetris style shapes together to make a puzzle. Lots of content, too.

Fighting Fantasy is basically just the gamebook converted to PSP form. A little clunky (just being done on a PSP), but well done.

Gamocracy One is surprisingly good - it's a puzzle platformer that was designed sort of by committee on the Sony Europe forums. It's got some flaws though, like checkpoints, which made it too frustrating for me.

History Egypt is a fairly simple Empire style strategy game with tactical combat. Sort of no frills, though, like the units in combat aren't really animated (just 2 frames). But basically you pick a map and side, then try to capture cities, the upgrade the cities to make better units, and so on.

Hysteria Project 2 is a FMV game. Basically pick an option, then the video plays. There are some QTEs here and there. Okay, but nothing great.

I must run is basically Canabalt with a plot.

The Impossible Game is a really hard, very retro looking platformer (blocks jumping on blocks). It's actually sort of rhythm based though, you hold down the button and it jumps over and over, so you just have to know when to hold down the X button and when not to.

Pix N Love Rush is another retro style platformer that is more style than substance.

Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is one of those vertical jumping games. Do you like those? Then you might like this, but only has 6 levels. Funny cutscenes, though.

Cookie18

memory is a bit foggy, but wasn't that just a tech demo showing that killzone 3 can sorta be played on vita?

I think it was part of a long list of logo reveals for the Vita. IIRC it was one of the "this will be on Vita" games along with COD, Assassin's Creed, Resistance etc.

I deleted blazblue to download gravity and resistance demos, please tell me that i haven't lost my progress :(

I hate to say this, but you COULD have backed up your progress easily for Blazblue. There's an option in the game settings that lets you back up your save file...

That game is in the list in the OP though.. Tried it yourself? PS3 transfer isnt the issue, I just dont want to spend money on games I cant transfer/wont be able to play.

The OP list sucks, use this list instead, as it's updated regularly. Though neither cover PAL compatibility, which is annoying.

Synless

2000-3000 added mic

Don't forget the screen improvements!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom