• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U) Details/Screens (E3 2012)

This is great news for the WiiU. I've got this on PC and hands down it is one of the most jaw droppingly beautiful games I've ever seen. Skyrim obviously had it's moments but Trine 2's moments are pretty much the whole time.

The character and world animations are so fluid and incredibly well done as well.

Kevin

I played the PC version of this and yes it looks as good as those screenshots if not better. Game is pretty cheap now on the PC for those interested. It was only $15 new. Can't wait for the DLC stuff to come out. :)

Zero148

is the WiiU Version of Trine2 at the showfloor? We have PC shots in the OP and I would really like to know how the WiiU Version compares to PC and especially to the other console versions visually

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Can tell who in this topic haven't come across Trine before.

I didn't play Trine 2 for long, an hour and 34 minutes that it took to platinum it to be exact, but graphically it looks pretty much exactly the same as the PS3 version to me which from memory wasn't that far off from the PC version...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Besides being stuck at 720p on consoles, some lighting effects and a slight decrease in texture quality they look pretty much the same iirc.

Though don't hold me to it, I'm going simply off my memory here, I would expect, or hope, the WiiU version to be closer to the PC version than both of the other console versions are, the general style and look is the same across all the platforms and that if you have a PS3/360 you can pick it up right now and it will look beautiful.

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
All this talk here and yet nobody came to check it out at the E3 booth? We were waiting for you, we even had the Pontius helmets on at one point! :)

So yeah the screens are PC. We often use PC screenshots because that's just the easiest way, and in all this madness we just kind of forgot that it's a big deal. Should have at least resized them to 720p which is the Wii U resolution. Sorry! The game should look like that on Wii U though, so other than the resolution it should be all good.

As for the platform comparisons, we are indeed using slightly higher settings on Wii U (it's not something that's super easy to notice though, it's not that dramatic). The game runs well and looks good so that's the main thing for us. Overall it's been a rather good experience working on the platform and being at E3 was awesome. The upcoming months will be very exciting and there will be more announcements and info coming up before the eventual release (as a downloadable in the eShop with reasonable pricing).

Maybe this helps, thanks for all the comments. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

All this talk here and yet nobody came to check it out at the E3 booth? We were waiting for you, we even had the Pontius helmets on at one point! :)

So yeah the screens are PC. We often use PC screenshots because that's just the easiest way, and in all this madness we just kind of forgot that it's a big deal. Should have at least resized them to 720p which is the Wii U resolution. Sorry! The game should look like that on Wii U though, so other than the resolution it should be all good.

As for the platform comparisons, we are indeed using slightly higher settings on Wii U (it's not something that's super easy to notice though, it's not that dramatic). The game runs well and looks good so that's the main thing for us. Overall it's been a rather good experience working on the platform and being at E3 was awesome. The upcoming months will be very exciting and there will be more announcements and info coming up before the eventual release (as a downloadable in the eShop with reasonable pricing).

I checked it out yesterday at the Nintendo booth. I thought it was gorgeous and lots of fun to play. I really love the touch interface you used with the Game Pad.

I checked it out yesterday at the Nintendo booth. I thought it was gorgeous and lots of fun to play. I really love the touch interface you used with the Game Pad.

How did they use the gamepad ? Anything significant regarding controls or On screenns options?

How did they use the gamepad ? Anything significant regarding controls or On screenns options?

For the wizard, you could control different environment objects by touching and dragging them, like with a water puzzle where you had to tilt this log to have water flow the proper way. You could also create log platforms and boxes as the wizard. For the thief and warrior, you just pointed where you wanted to attack and you sent a projectile. There were some other things on there that I didn't get to try out, but it felt pretty good.

sounds like a must have download for me
3AQmK.gif

Seik

Banned
Wait, is this e-shop only or will it be available via retail?

Buying games on Future Shop right now and I can see it for 59,99$, but people here seems to be saying that it'll be e-shop, confusion.

ar7RO.png

EDIT: *looks up*

(as a downloadable in the eShop with reasonable pricing).

Oh...wtf FutureShop? XD

dacuk

Count mine as a sure purchase

what about AA?

I'd like some dev's comment on AA on the Wii U

For the wizard, you could control different environment objects by touching and dragging them, like with a water puzzle where you had to tilt this log to have water flow the proper way. You could also create log platforms and boxes as the wizard. For the thief and warrior, you just pointed where you wanted to attack and you sent a projectile. There were some other things on there that I didn't get to try out, but it felt pretty good.

intresting ... thanks for the info.

So to developer/person that played it, can you play only on the controller, and have the tv off/on a tv channel?

There is a severe lack of games that do this. ._.

Trine 1 was on of those games that I played a little but and then quit, twice, mainly because...well...I don't know I just used to do this with alot of games and now I'm stopping that. I just restarted Trine 1 on PS3 and got to the third level. Its pretty awesome so far!

I got Trine 2 for free on PS+ but if you can only play on the controller, I'll probably buy it on Wii u day one.

Either way, so far Trine 1 is excellent and this director's cut looks really beautiful!

Eteric Rice

So to developer/person that played it, can you play only on the controller, and have the tv off/on a tv channel?

Trine 1 was on of those games that I played a little but and then quit, twice, mainly because...well...I don't know I just used to do this with alot of games and now I'm stopping that. I just restarted Trine 1 on PS3 and got to the third level. Its pretty awesome so far!

I got Trine 2 for free on PS+ but if you can only play on the controller, I'll probably buy it on Wii u day one.

Either way, so far Trine 1 is excellent and this director's cut looks really beautiful!

Wasn't this part of the Wii U's appeal? I seem to remember Iwata or Miyamoto talking about how this console un-tethers you from the television.

leaf_

Pretentious? I'm just saying this game is pretty demanding and looks fantastic, so if they say the improved graphics are only possible on Wii U, it must have more power.

or it's due the fact that the game has just almost one year of extra development time...

EDarkness

I spoke at length with you guys at the show. I think we even talked about the game on our day 2 podcast. Heh, I didn't know you guys posted on NeoGAF, though. Game is looking great on the Wii U, though I still think the rogue is hard to use. :)

Found a lengthy hands-on video on YouTube..

Hopefully it hasn't already been posted.

Edit: It's really painful to watch because the guy sucks.
Edit 2: The Nintendo booth babe in the background makes up for the bad playing abilities.

Yes! Play only on controller confirmed! Will buy if its a launch game most likely. Already have atleast $40 put aside for Wii U eShop launch.

Wasn't this part of the Wii U's appeal? I seem to remember Iwata or Miyamoto talking about how this console un-tethers you from the television.
Thats what they said, but barely anything actually does this. In NSMBU the only time I've seen it done (at this e3) is with the assist mode, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the same in single player so I'm nit worried about that.

Pikmin 3 doesn't let you play only on the controller unless you wanna play in top down map mode, as far as I've seen. (Tho you could play that way...I don't wanna tho)

All third party games seem to use the controller as a inventory, so yea. NSMBU is the only game thats really playable on the controller only.

:/

Well now Trine 2 is officially the second game! HOORAY! Thanks Trine 2 developers.

EDarkness

I was told the game will allow you to play with the TV off. Rejoice!!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Besides being stuck at 720p on consoles, some lighting effects and a slight decrease in texture quality they look pretty much the same iirc.

Though don't hold me to it, I'm going simply off my memory here, I would expect, or hope, the WiiU version to be closer to the PC version than both of the other console versions are, the general style and look is the same across all the platforms and that if you have a PS3/360 you can pick it up right now and it will look beautiful.

Many devs haven't disclosed the details but there seems to be plenty 3rd parties games which will allow you to play without the tv and enter a "classic controls" mode with a number growing after the launch games (damn is it possible that even with Wii Ul, Nintendo is rushing it out the gate before they'd previously panned like with 3DS?) someone here or on another message board (can't remember honestly) reported that even in Batman: AC-RE you can play on the gamepad only, is that true?

Anyway, it's unclear from the PR's wording, is this the only version including online co-op? Wasn't online with 3 players available on PS3 as well?

I only got a chance to see the game for the Wii U on youtube. It looks very impressive, and it appears to have very nice use of the touchscreen. The fact that your team was able to get the game on slightly higher settings while the touchscreen also displays the game is very cool, especially considering at the Wii U is new hardware.

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
Thanks guys. :)

Yeah that FutureShop thing, I think they're just listing all the titles that have been announced or something. We haven't exactly communicated the downloadable aspect that well either, so some people have mistaken it as a full retail game. We have nothing against retail though, we'd love to do that too, but at our pricepoint it's maybe not the best idea (or even possible until later).

On AA, I think we use FXAA or so, but I'll have to confirm with the programmers once we get back to Finland.

And yes you can play just on the Wii U GamePad. :)

(And yes online co-op is available on other platforms as well - but on Wii U we'll have the exclusive party mode which will go for some asymmetric gameplay.)

I spoke at length with you guys at the show. I think we even talked about the game on our day 2 podcast. Heh, I didn't know you guys posted on NeoGAF, though. Game is looking great on the Wii U, though I still think the rogue is hard to use. :)
Ah right, good to hear. :) Yeah we do google stalking quite a bit, and obviously here's where the action goes down when anything significant happens, so we're always lurking in the shadows (I used to hang around on GAF more regularly back in 2004-2005 or so but then work just got too busy and all).

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

Gambit

Thanks guys. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

Great news! Altogether great show of the game. You just sold me Trine 1 as well, which, admittedly, I have been meaning to buy for a while. Now the time has come.

I've always had a lot if respect for this game, though the controls and weight have always been at odds with what I would like. Regardless of that...

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

You just sold me a copy with this bit.

ozfunghi

On AA, I think we use FXAA or so, but I'll have to confirm with the programmers once we get back to Finland.

Ok, and while you're at it, could you just confirm the numer of SPU's on the GPU and what frequency it runs, ok, thanks, good luck, bye... :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wow, the Upads screen is impressive
Not as impressive as an OLED screen but it looks like resolution is better than Vita, and graphics are so much better anyway that yeah, it's a bew benchmark.

I can see myself taking the Wii U and the GamePad wherever I go in vacation, without wireying about needing a HDMI TV.

Luigiv

Isn't this possible with every Wii U game then? I thought that was one of the big selling points.

No. Nintendo isn't the type to mandate functionality so devs are free to choose whether they want to support such a feature or not.

Trine 2 supports it because it displays the exact same image on both screens simultaneously by default so no separate mode is required. For game's that display different things on the different screens it's not quite as simple and not every dev is going to implement a separate mode for it. Some games (like Zombie U) need both screens for gameplay reasons whilst other games won't have it due to dev laziness/cheapness (extra modes means extra QA afterall).

Not as impressive as an OLED screen but it looks like resolution is better than Vita, and graphics are so much better anyway that yeah, it's a bew benchmark.

I can see myself taking the Wii U and the GamePad wherever I go in vacation, without wireying about needing a HDMI TV.
Hmmm, I wonder if you can indeed boot a game to Gamepad mode from the OS. Then you could just literally plug it in without a need for an AV cable at all.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Hmmm, I wonder if you can indeed boot a game to Gamepad mode from the OS. Then you could just literally plug it in without a need for an AV cable at all.
Hope it is confirmed you can, that would be awesome: I could then play from my bed, which is on a different floor than my living room. I'd just have to move the main unit.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Who is publishing this game?

I didn't even know Trine playable demo was available at the E3 :(

Nintendo really did a piss poor job at their conference

---
btw, I noticed the gameplay is shown at the same time both on the screen and on the gamepad; doesn't this effect the performance?

Top Bottom