• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
This opinion really is a surprise. :p

Well there's also stuff that looks awful, but overall the game has potential to be good, im guessing standard Slayer will strip out stuff I dont like (shotgun as a killstreak reward, really?) but as a party game and just a casual fun shooter Halo 4 looks like it has the potential to be really fun. Something Reach just missed totally. As a hardcore competitive game im sure there will be modes which accommodate to that, so it looks good. Still not convinced on some stuff like 5 shot kill BR, but other stuff is really nice to see.

Mayyhem

Okay so I missed everything cause of work. Is there any place (youtube) I can watch all these MLG videos?
Edit : nvm seen the post few above mine

I'd be happy if you could upload every video? Especially the developer commentaries. :) Still thank you for these!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Control schemes still seem so bad. The best one seems to be Recon.

heckfu

Banned
At work and swamped so I can't watch the vids, but can someone PM me the links to watch later? Thanks in advance.

Also, my avatar is sexxxxxy. H4 Master Chief armor and Cortana chip...I feel like a damned ol fanboy.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dislikes:

The replacement for the grenade launcher (not sure if I should call it that)... terrible design at this point. Every time I saw it used, the slow movement made me wonder "why would I use this over a grenade?" It does nothing better than the grenade launcher in Reach in those vids. I don't care if the GL was "objectively underused" the replacement is next to worthless in those videos.

Promethean Vision - absolutely terrible. It confirms what was seen in brief snippets and expressions produced day one. Why even have walls, lets just play octagon and be done... now I can see in real time where everyone is at the press of the button, and there was no counter to it in the game play. Assuming equal skill this will end up slowing the game even more... now people will just sit looking through virtual windows daring the other to step out first... you already saw that between some of the guys in the vids... ugh.

Rockets - slower with smaller blast radius...? they are a power weapon, balance them by the number of times it can be used, location, and frequency of spawn... NOT by making them look like a missile pod.

1v1 interactions looked clunky and imprecise with the BR... I don't know if it's the recoil that we can't experience while we watch, increased capacity to strafe (from Reach), or the BR being 5 shots... but watching people nearly run out of bullets for one kill was painful.

I would prefer to not have anything moving in the reticle... but as long as shots are 100 percent accurate with each trigger pull on precision weapons... I'm happy.

I don't like how busy it looks... medals, points, notes, HUD, weapon spawn icons, grenade indicators - it's like the game is puking pixels all over my monitor.

Hate the grenade throwing noise.

I like the look graphically. It definitely is a sharp looking game.

Movement looks improved from Reach and pretty smooth.

Hit scan weapons with hit markers.

Loving the overall variety in the sandbox with new weapons available.

Like sprint being default.

Like the fidelity of the sound overall and can't wait to hear the final product.

If anyone is wondering what well framed criticism looks like - it's this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank, will we get to see Longbow? Also, is this the last of the E3 content, or War Games content for the time being? :)

I should put together some likes/dislikes too...

I guess I'll be the one to point out that he did start with the negatives, though. It's typically best to pad the negatives by starting with the positives. Just sayin'

Also, my avatar is sexxxxxy. H4 Master Chief armor and Cortana chip...I feel like a damned ol fanboy.

I saw it yesterday. I was pretty jealous I'll admit

daedalius

And if anyone is wondering how the developer will respond to well-framed criticism - it's this.

utrollin?

What exactly are you expecting him to respond with, lol?

5 shots to kill and retaining 108 bullets in a clip is going to have that kind of trade off. (in terms of bullets running out), I wish they would scale up the clip considering the bullets to kill.

I also agree about it looking a bit clunky, I especially didnt like that most of the battles seemed to be clean ups rather than clean br battles. If someone is down 2 shots it could make a MUCH bigger difference in this game. In Halo 3 if I was down 2 shots but was good and caught someone off guard I could probably 4 shot them before they turned around and 2 shot me. In Halo 4, if im down 2 shots I need to land 5 shots before they hit 3, It might not sound that different, especially considering I have one extra shot before I die myself, but in scenarios where teamshooting comes into play it could make a much bigger difference. I suppose it all depends on what the killtimes are, and they seem really quick, which makes me wonder why they didnt just have 4 shots to kill which led to (in my opinion) more interesting BR duels.

Don't forget they are pros who are also good at making use of available cover. I imagine they are still tuning the weapon strengths as well.

That said, I think the BR could benefit from being 4sk as well.

1v1 interactions looked clunky and imprecise with the BR... I don't know if it's the recoil that we can't experience while we watch, increased capacity to strafe (from Reach), or the BR being 5 shots... but watching people nearly run out of bullets for one kill was painful.

5 shots to kill and retaining 108 bullets in a clip is going to have that kind of trade off. (in terms of bullets running out), I wish they would scale up the clip considering the bullets to kill.

I also agree about it looking a bit clunky, I especially didnt like that most of the battles seemed to be clean ups rather than clean br battles. If someone is down 2 shots it could make a MUCH bigger difference in this game. In Halo 3 if I was down 2 shots but was good and caught someone off guard I could probably 4 shot them before they turned around and 2 shot me. In Halo 4, if im down 2 shots I need to land 5 shots before they hit 3, It might not sound that different, especially considering I have one extra shot before I die myself, but in scenarios where teamshooting comes into play it could make a much bigger difference. I suppose it all depends on what the killtimes are, and they seem really quick, which makes me wonder why they didnt just have 4 shots to kill which led to (in my opinion) more interesting BR duels.

DMR Sounds awesome, I might find myself using that gun, looked like it packed a mean punch.

Fracas

#fuckonami
And if anyone is wondering how the developer will respond to well-framed criticism - it's this.

I just gotta ask man, why do you post here? You've already said you don't care about anyone's opinion, you've said you think Halo 4 is going to be terrible, and you seem to dislike nearly everyone in this community. I personally have no squabble with you, I just don't see what you stand to gain from posting here.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would say that I agree that the BR needs to be a bit quicker on the kill. Maybe 4 shot. Watching the pros play it seemed like unless they caught an enemy with low health they were able to get away or the encounter just took forever.

Woorloog

Banned
I would say that I agree that the BR needs to be a bit quicker on the kill. Maybe 4 shot. Watching the pros play it seemed like unless they caught an enemy with low health they were able to get away or the encounter just took forever.

Indeed. Either 4 shot or the spread needs to be tightened.

Gui_PT

PK1Jb.gif

Goddamn, the Scorpion in Halo CE is awful, just awful.

"Oh, you're aiming at that cannon? FUCK THAT, YOU HIT A WALL, TRY AGAIN MOTHERFUCKER."

BigShow36

I just gotta ask man, why do you post here? You've already said you don't care about anyone's opinion, you've said you think Halo 4 is going to be terrible, and you seem to dislike nearly everyone in this community. I personally have no squabble with you, I just don't see what you stand to gain from posting here.

I consider other people's opinions all the time and I don't dislike anyone. I don't think Halo 4 will be terrible, despite every ounce of my experience trying to tell me otherwise. I'm here because its an active Halo community and I keep hoping for a Halo game I can love again.

I'm severely jaded when it comes to Halo and it's developers, but my insight is usually pretty astute.

If you recall, before these videos were posted I mentioned the slow movement speed and slow kill-speed being potentially problematic. Everyone jumped on me then, but it seems like I was pretty accurate in that regard. I'm a lot more direct than most people are and I have no interest in coloring my opinions with feel-good language. I'm here to discuss what I think would make for better Halo.

I've done the eloquent, in-depth posts where I try to be diplomatic many, many times in the past. It doesn't work, so now I simply state my opinions straight up; it accomplishes the same thing.

kylej

Banned
I consider other people's opinions all the time and I don't dislike anyone. I don't think Halo 4 will be terrible, despite every ounce of my experience trying to tell me otherwise. I'm here because its an active Halo community and I keep hoping for a Halo game I can love again.

I'm severely jaded when it comes to Halo and it's developers, but my insight is usually pretty astute.

If you recall, before these videos were posted I mentioned the slow movement speed and slow kill-speed being potentially problematic. Everyone jumped on my then, but it seems like I was pretty accurate in that regard.

I'm a lot more direct than most people are and I have no interest in coloring my opinions with feel-good language. I'm here to discuss what I think would make for better Halo.

Welcome.

If you recall, before these videos were posted I mentioned the slow movement speed and slow kill-speed being potentially problematic. Everyone jumped on me then, but it seems like I was pretty accurate in that regard. I'm a lot more direct than most people are and I have no interest in coloring my opinions with feel-good language. I'm here to discuss what I think would make for better Halo.

Good. Don't leave.

DMR Sounds awesome, I might find myself using that gun, looked like it packed a mean punch.
To the bold, I'd argue that it should look clunky when you have a group of people just getting used to how H4 plays. It actually has me kind of relieved; falling right into a familiar rhythm would indicate to me that the game plays too close to Reach, which for me would be very depressing.

daedalius

While you claim you are here for substantive discussion, you still say shit like:

Try harder.

Also, I am confused how the footage looks slow in regards to movement. The kills may be slow because of reduced aim assist and the fact they are pros who don't love standing out in the open to get shot.

I'd think you guys would be thrilled with less aim assist, Halo 2 was really fast because the assist and magnetism was through the roof.

David Ellis explained that the E3 build didn't have it, but that it would be in the final product. (Blueblur's comment was in reference to the fact that only the primary weapon was showing in the hud.)

Good to hear.

I definitely bet it gets upped before launch. These guys playing are pros, and they're missing a ton.

God I hope not. Not having some ridiculous aim assist would be so nice.

Woah.

Apparently there's a music track in the game?

Yeah, pretty cool. I like how games like Battlefield use it, should a nice touch to have it here as well.

Nice to see that the Magnum still has the silly 8 bullet clip. Dang I'm gonna wreck people with that gun! /sarcasm

So sad lol.

At least it had fast movement speed. Halo 2's was so... so... sl...ow...

Wow, this so much. I was playing some H2 campaign last night I forgot how absurdly slow that this is.

kylej

Banned
I think Risen's a good dude and I agree with that post and have echoed a lot of the same sentiments, but I do have to lol at Frankie lauding a post that describes the UI as "puking pixels all over my monitor", describes BR fights as "painful", calls the nade launcher "terrible design" and "worthless", and calls Prothean vision "absolutely terrible" lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I've done the eloquent, in-depth posts where I try to be diplomatic many, many times in the past. It doesn't work, so now I simply state my opinions straight up; it accomplishes the same thing.

I can understand this, but hell, would it kill you and Kyle to post something positive every once in a while? Or just lighten up a bit? I think if I went back through Kyle's last 50 posts I couldn't find one positive thing said.

Agh, can we have Halo 4 yet?

Risen

I think Risen's a good dude and I agree with that post and have echoed a lot of the same sentiments, but I do have to lol at Frankie lauding a post that describes the UI as "puking pixels all over my monitor", describes BR fights as "painful", calls the nade launcher "terrible design" and "worthless", and calls Prothean vision "absolutely terrible" lol

I probably smell better and am better looking than you.

Guys, I know you're all advocating for this seemingly decreased auto-aim right now, but if the Pros are using most of their mag for one kill, you probably aren't going to do much better.

Havok

Currently 3/4 of the way through the unedited gameplays, some thoughts.

Without knowing what matchmaking setups are going to be like it's tough to say anything concrete, but using Reach as a point of reference, some assumptions can be made.

- As has been mentioned, P. Vision radius seems dramatically larger than had been previously implied. On something like Wraparound (shut up I'll call it that until I die), that range seems like it could be incredibly problematic and lead to a Narrows-esque spawn trapping killing problem, further exacerbated by...

- Ordnance drops for well performing players has that same CoD killstreak snowball effect of good people being handed tools to do even better, and that is pretty frightening in the context of a Halo game. I can see it being extremely difficult to get out of a rut and make comebacks if your opponents have this snowball effect giving them tools that either make it dramatically more difficult for you to kill them or dramatically easier for them to kill you. Furthermore...

- Ordnance rewards seem poorly weighted. I cannot see any reason why I would choose a weapon over Overshield or Damage boost unless it were a rocket or sniper. Being more effective across a wide range of situations, either by being super difficult to kill or super powerful, is exponentially more appealing than a mid-tier "power" weapon like a shotgun analogue.

- Hit markers seem like a kind of poor replacement for very bright shield flashing, especially in context of a burst weapon that can deal partial damage and get a hit marker for 1 of 3 bullets. The shields, on the other hand, would not flash as bright under a partial hit as a full hit. I found it difficult to distinguish between someone who was close to death and someone who was fully shielded at range in these videos. Maybe it's a side effect of 480p internet video, but it seemed off.

- Can the Sticky Detonator really not be air detonated? It seems like it would be much less useful without that ability, seeing how slow it travels and the small blast radius it has. Seems to have a whole lot of ammo as well, which is odd. I'd rather see a slightly more effective tool with less uptime than a middling weapon that you can use for a long time.

- Last-minute-of-match music is excellent, a good indicator that you need to wrap your shit up and motivate people to really put all their chips in at the end of the game.

- Graphically incredible. I still can't believe how clean it looks.

- Is the lift on Adrift as janky as Zealot's center lifts? Guys were basically just bouncing up and down in it sometimes.

- Grenades seem to be in a really great place right now, though I can't say I'm in love with the restrictions on picking them up without Resupply.

- The Carbine. My god.

- Medal design is less than spectacular. The medals themselves are not evocative, at a glance, of the actions that it takes to perform them, or maybe they are just too indistinguishable from each other with the very similar color pairings. UI is a little messy, I guess, with a lot of very visually busy icons. Mostly seen in the loadout menu.

- The action is good, looks like Halo, etc. I don't think anybody expected you guys not to nail that feeling, but it's those little tertiary elements that I take issue with once they start to impact the base gameplay like ordnance does.

- The sheer number of weapons you guys are packing into this thing makes me think it must be impossible to balance. I mean, Halo 2 and 3 couldn't get the balance right with just two primary precision weapons, and you guys have like 20.

Vire

MLG Video Impressions by Vire:

Positives:

+The Audio is mostly fantastic, I love the sounds of the BR, Carbine and GRENADES especially!

+The Graphics are absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful lighting and animation throughout. Nice use of Anti-Aliasing as well.

+The In-Game UI, despite the groaning going on in this thread, I like all the subtle changes made to give it a more futuristic feeling.

+The general speed of the game seems just about right, maybe it could use a tiny bump in movement speed but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

+Grenades look about right where they should be.

Negatives:

- Promethean Vision needs serious re-tweaking. I can already see it being a major problem in it's current incarnation and it needs some further restrictions in how often you can use it, distance, and time allowed in it. It's probably the most over powered AA in the game at the moment.

-The BR kill time needs to be sped up of tiniest fractions and maybe increase the graphical indication of shields being hit (brighter yellow flashing) / more blood flying out.

-There needs to be more sound effect differentiation between something very close and something very far away. At the moment it all sounds very similar.

-The pistol needs a little more umph it's in sound as well.

-Ordinance Drops needs the removal of Over-Shield as that could be easily exploitable.

Cheers, I really like what I'm seeing over all 343 and crew and hopefully some of my concerns can be addressed.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe I'm crazy but I liked the darker vibe. It wasn't overly dark, just had some dark hallways and corners. I don't think every map should be bright and sunny. It gave me an "Alien" or Dead Space vibe.

BigShow36

Guys, I know you're all advocating for this seemingly decreased auto-aim right now, but if the Pros are using most of their mag for one kill, you probably aren't going to do much better.

Considering the BR takes 5 shots to kill with a 12-shot clip, its not surprising.

Its good that pro's are missing, but they really aren't missing much. I would like to see them miss even more. While I'm glad it appears to be slightly more difficult to land shots, I still feel it could go even further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom