• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I Imported a Graphite DS Phat from Asia back then. Best looking DS color i've ever seen.

Why don't they come out with another one?

Also, I never bought a 3DS as I was waiting for a re-design. This is not it.

This has got to be the ugliest looking handheld ever made, by anyone. Just awful looking.

No second analog stick!! Seriously wtf nintendo

Same shitty resolution.

This thing could have easily been far superior. It's almost like Nintendo gets some sick pleasure out of releasing fugly poorly thoughtout handhelds.

Wow. Interested, but not in the current NA colors.

Also, yeah no second stick ever coming. Might as well jump in now if you don't have one.

Durante

That would be around 107 PPI.

This compares to other portable devices like such:
Code:
107 -- 3DSXL
128 -- Original PSP
132 -- 3DS
163 -- Original iPhone
221 -- Vita
219 -- Samsung Galaxy SII
326 -- Retina iPhone

So 1 pixel ~= 4 pixels on Vita.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I want a comparison for visuals in-game, that's my only deciding factor. If there's a lot of chunky clunky pixelated animation, count me out.

Piggus

Screen looks awesome, though I worry a lot about the pixel density.

Not having a second circle pad totally kills this for me though. :(

B.O.O.M

What a lazy effort. And what's up with those fugly corners?

btw how much does an AC adapter cost exactly?

And Nintendo lied big time about the no revision lol

fse

The games are designed for a specific resolution.

A higher resolution screen would literally do nothing to change the look of the games.

If you started re-rendering games in a new resolution, you'd need additional graphical hardware in there... and that's like talking about a new platform altogether.

No upgrade to a handheld platform has EVER had a resolution increase! No one should ever expect something like that! This is a crazy new meme or something, no basis in reality!

ipod touch retina...
jk

If this were a new system, I could understand the hate for no 2nd analog, but as a revision, the lack of one makes it clear Nintendo isn't going to put any effort into supporting dual analog games so it's not really a big loss.

Anyway, the White is lovely. It better come to the US at some point. Getting one at launch anyway, but I'll definitely be trading when White comes.

Judging from the past history of both Sony and Nintendo not releasing White systems outside of Japan, not likely.

I think I'll be importing a white.

The only issue may be importing the NA content over to a JP console...and then the JP marketplace on the JP 3DS may be an issue. But perhaps a good thing, because the Japan eShop is superior and NA eShop is totally out of it.

Seda

Code:
107 -- 3DSXL
128 -- Original PSP
132 -- 3DS
163 -- Original iPhone
221 -- Vita
326 -- Retina iPhone

So my games on 3DSXL will look worse than on my PSP?

heh

To not include an AC adapter is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. It's totally incomprehensible and unacceptable. Is it really possible to be more greedy? just to save a couple of dollars.

You buy a 200 dollars machine and you can even turn it on, there will be a lot of confusion between new buyers.

Par for the course for Nintendo. Old systems (AV FC and SFC; don't know about N64) used to come sans a/c and a/v cables.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So specifically because of the 3D mode? Aren't all games hard-coded to display at a specific resolution?
Yes, they are. That's why you aren't getting a res upgrade, unless you emulate and jeopardize compatibility (like Vita and the 360) or games were coded to support multiple resolutions from the start, like PC, iOS and Android games.

iPod touch.

Games run over an additional layer of drivers, not comparable.

theBishop

Banned
You though wrong. We have been saying this since the CCP got announced.

Yeah, I'll eat my hat on that, with a confused expression on my face.

Nintendo did the worst of both worlds here. If there's not going to be an XL frankenstick (lol @ the idea), isn't it just a dead peripheral now? That doesn't fit the conversation you and others were having when CCP was announced either. The debate was between 3DS having right stick standard, and 3DS having right stick optional. Not between standard and awkward peripheral with a 3-month lifespan.

Or do you think a new XL stick will be announced?

Ocho

Oh man, no AC adapter? Seriously?

Hope that is a translation error, it can't be. If true, Nintendo should rethink their hardware strategy completely.

Clipse

Wonder how long it's going to take for the US to get the white model considering we still don't have the white 3DS yet..

VanWinkle

If people think a resolution upgrade was ever possible.... LOL! You don't understand technology and should probably keep your mouth shut.

Huh? Not saying that I thought it would happen, but what do you mean not possible? PSP games look better on Vita than they do on PSP, and that has quadruple resolution. How's it not possible?

Anyway, this looks a lot better than the original 3DS IMO, and I wish I had known this was coming out. Nevertheless, it's not different enough to warrant selling my 3DS for it. Was hoping for a second circle pad at least. Screen looks to be of the same quality, too, from that comparison pic (not talking about resolution, but saturation, contrast, etc.).

plainr_

I'm going to buy it day one, but it ain't cool lookin'.

nintendo-dsi-xl.jpg

This shit is cool lookin'

Now that is a thing of beauty. I would so jump the gun on the 3DSXL had it look similar to this.

RedSwirl

In case it hasn't been pointed out, the release of this coincides with NSMB2 in the US. I really hope Nintendo Network goes online around that time.

Huh? Not saying that I thought it would happen, but what do you mean not possible? PSP games look better on Vita than they do on PSP, and that has quadruple resolution. How's it not possible?

Would've required more hardware power. This is a revision, not a new platform.

M74

Also, releasing in a red or blue cover in NA? If I was going to get one, I'd like a simple black model, not these awful mismatched color combo models they've been pushing out. They look cheap, like a salvage car with off-color replacement parts.

I'll definitely get it because this is what I've been waiting for, but... no AC adapter..? How the fuck am I supposed to charge it??
Although I really want it in white. I guess I can wait a little longer if it's only available at first in red and blue. Ugh.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Code:
107 -- 3DSXL
128 -- Original PSP
132 -- 3DS
163 -- Original iPhone
221 -- Vita
219 -- Samsung Galaxy SII
326 -- Retina iPhone

How does it compare to the DSXL?

That's a pretty low bar, can't be lower now, can it?

Rich!

Judging from the past history of both Sony and Nintendo not releasing White systems outside of Japan, not likely.

I think I'll be importing a white.

The only issue may be importing the NA content over to a JP console...and then the JP marketplace on the JP 3DS may be an issue. But perhaps a good thing, because the Japan eShop is superior and NA eShop is totally out of it.

Surely the fact it's completely region locked would fuck you over?

None of your games would work on the thing. NA content would NOT transfer over, and none of your NA retail games would work. You should reconsider.

Anyway, I'm content with the Silver/Black that we're getting in the UK next month. Looks fucking sweet.

Neiteio

So:

- Bigger screen, same res = fuzzy image quality?
- Screens still different sizes = scratching issue?
- No second stick = why no second stick?

Old People 3DS confirmed.

x3sphere

What a lazy effort. And what's up with those fugly corners?

btw how much does an AC adapter cost exactly?

And Nintendo lied big time about the no revision lol

Well, the XL isn't a true revision in my eyes, it doesn't replace the base model, it's just an alternative.

epmode

I'm really surprised to see so many people hoping for a resolution upgrade. It simply won't happen with 3DS. That opens up huge compatibility issues that Nintendo would never want to deal with. Apple's OK with it since they don't mind making a 3 year old device obsolete.

Top Bottom