• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Nintendo Direct] 3DS XL (90% larger screen, 4GB SD, better battery) OP has details

Lol. I finally have it! Correct screen ratio with correct scaling!

http://i.imgur.com/Stakr.png

Nice try but a 5:7 ratio is more accurate.

6IaRj.jpg

Shockamoto

Neo Member
Damn, I was hoping for a black or white model for NA when I heard about this. Colored handhelds look so toy-like to me. Oh well, I'll stick with my cosmo black 3DS and wait for new colors.

Rich!

Man, this no white better be a US only thing. When's NoE doing their announcement? They always announce stuff on friday right?

Also, why are people bothering with screen comparisons? Did you learn nothing from the original XL? Games looked even better there too

uh, did you miss the UK stream earlier?

We're getting red/black, blue/black and silver/black (which I've just ordered). July 28th, a month almost before the USA. £179 on amazon. Here's the silver one, looks great:

41uzWaHtRCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Danj

We're getting red/black, blue/black and silver/black (which I've just ordered). July 29th, a month almost before the USA. £170 on amazon. Here's the silver one, looks great:

July 28th and £179.99 I think you mean. Hope it goes down before then because that really seems too high.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children

We're getting red/black, blue/black and silver/black (which I've just ordered). July 28th, a month almost before the USA. £179 on amazon. Here's the silver one, looks great:

I checked Nintendo.nl and no mention, thought it would still be a while. No white still saddens me :/ A month earlier is good news tho

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only thing scaling does, is show you how much larger it will look. You can't demonstrate the quality of the larger screen because you're displaying both images on a screen with the same pixel density - your laptop/whatever. To compensate for that you've stretched pixels in the upper image which makes it look worse than it actually will.

I think 3DS games look really clean (if they are done well) and I don't have any worries about lower quality when made bigger.

Don't think I'll preorder though, I can't see any kind of shortage as its just a big 3DS, not like the launch of a new machine.

Rich!

I checked Nintendo.nl and no mention, thought it would still be a while. No white still saddens me :/ A month earlier is good news tho

Yeah, it's not up on Nintendo.co.uk either.

Don't think I'll preorder though, I can't see any kind of shortage as its just a big 3DS, not like the launch of a new machine.

I'm pre-ordering purely because of Amazon's price guarantee. Of course, if you're in the USA then it's not as important seeing that you have an RRP for the console over there.

Loved my 3DS, but the thing was too damn small for my hands! I'm in for a red one! Hopefully I can recover all the games that I bought on my current system. My asshole brother wiped my account off of my 3DS after an argument he and I had, rendering all my eShop games unrecoverable. I'm in correspondence with NoA right now to see if my situation can be remedied.

Plus the interior is matte! MATTE!!!!

I was wondering why Amazon hadn't put up a pre-order page yet since they're usually all over these kinds of announcements but then I realized that they're still not selling 3DSs directly.

What exactly is going on between these two companies?

sakipon

My asshole brother wiped my account off of my 3DS after an argument he and I had, rendering all my eShop games unrecoverable. I'm in correspondence with NoA right now to see if my situation can be remedied.
My brother used to go ahead and delete some save files whenever we argued. Luckily it was before DD was invented...

Hopefully they'll be able to fix your downloads.

TriAceJP

My brother used to go ahead and delete some save files whenever we argued. Luckily it was before DD was invented...

Damn kids nowadays. My brother just gave me a good ol' fashioned punch on the arm.

The girl with whom I spoke seemed pretty optimistic about it, and she said my inquiry would have to be put further up the chain of command due to the uniqueness of the situation and my prolific amount of purchases. Maybe I'll speak with Reggie!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
also those giant crisp pixels is like the best part of the dsi xl

though that does have a lot more sprite based content

Alchemy

I can't believe it's the same resolution

Why would you expect otherwise? You want companies to build their games to render at different resolutions for each version of the 3DS? That only leads to frame rate and effect optimization differences... yeah, not going to happen.

Rich!

I'd say it's more impractical to have a screen nearly double the size yet with the same resolution. What's the point?

The point is that the 3DS games are hardcoded to the 800x240 resolution, and the refresh rates and streaming in-game are programmed for that. The only way for the 3DS XL to have a higher resolution is to push it with more processing power, and even then it'd have to be 2x the original resolution to keep compatibility (like the vita).

Do you honestly think there was any chance in hell of Nintendo adding more processing power to this thing? It'd have to take a pretty hefty amount, enough to shove the cost up dramatically - which would defeat the entire fucking purpose of this unit.

It will be fine. Games on the DSi XL arguably looked better than they did on the old DS models.

I hope so. This is what I have been waiting for (3DS redesign) and I don't want the games to look like shit. The aliasing already looks pretty bad on some games from what I have seen in screens.

Do you honestly think there was any chance in hell of Nintendo adding more processing power to this thing?

Yes, I know Nintendo is not like Apple when it comes to this, but it would have been nice in this one instance.

Why would you expect otherwise? You want companies to build their games to render at different resolutions for each version of the 3DS? That only leads to frame rate and effect optimization differences... yeah, not going to happen.

Why would companies have to do anything? It would be done automatically with a more powerful processor. Sure, 2D elements wouldn't magically become higher res, but at least the 3D elements would look better.

Eusis

The point is that the 3DS games are hardcoded to the 800x240 resolution, and the refresh rates and streaming in-game are programmed for that. The only way for the 3DS XL to have a higher resolution is to push it with more processing power, and even then it'd have to be 2x the original resolution to keep compatibility (like the vita).

Do you honestly think there was any chance in hell of Nintendo adding more processing power to this thing? It'd have to take a pretty hefty amount, enough to shove the cost up dramatically - which would defeat the entire fucking purpose of this unit.
And you'd divide the user base, plus existing games will for the most part only look worse even with a doubling: Vita's mainly better looking for PSP games due to its OLED screen, unless it has the right 2D graphic style it's not going to benefit from unfiltered scaling, and scaling filtering still isn't quite as nice as native resolution. This isn't like an iOS device or smartphone, I stated in another thread those are more like computers, web browsing alone justifies the resolution jump even without a hardware jump.

Rich!

Either way, jaggies are bound to be more pronounced on the larger screen, no?

Depends on the game, and the 3D.

Ocarina of Time should look pretty damn good in 2D mode, considering the nice AA it has going on. Mario Kart should be alright. Super Mario 3D Land may look a tiny bit shoddy, though...

Guys, they could have just turned the "more resolution" slider up and all the games would look great. Easy peasy.

Have you not seen emulators? I'm pretty sure Nintendo could make a system that will render 3DS games at a higher resolution if they wanted to. Again, the 3D elements not the 2D sprites.
I can deal with some fuzzy sprites, it's the aliasing of the 3D stuff that bothers me.

Rich!

Have you not seen emulators?

Have you not seen what's actually required for an emulator to internally render a game at a higher resolution? It's really not as simple as you seemingly assume. The fact that Dolphin requires at minimum a quad core 3ghz+ processor to render a Wii game at 1080p with minimal glitches should speak volumes about just how ridiculous hoping for a similar effect on the 3DS XL actually is.

Have you not seen what's actually required for an emulator to internally render a game at a higher resolution? It's really not as simple as you seemingly assume.

Emulators have to reverse engineer everything in software, and need crazy hardware as a result. This would not be the case when dealing with a manufacturer like Nintendo. You don't think they could source the parts (processor, etc) necessary to make it happen? Oh, they can stream HD to a higher-res screen on the Wii U pad, but this, this is IMPOSSIBLE!

Stores here in Canada have been offering the current 3DS with your choice of any Mario game free. Guess I know why now.

I would rather have the new 3DSXL instead with the improvements. I'll pick one up come August 19 with Super Mario 3DS.

I'd say it's more impractical to have a screen nearly double the size yet with the same resolution. What's the point?
Imagine you want to watch a movie encoded in 720P:

1. Watch on a 29" TV with 1080P display
2. Watch on a 40" TV with 720P display

Although the PPI of the latter is much less than the former, obviously the latter will be a better experience.

Basically, XL vs normal is a 40" TV vs a 29" TV, but both 720P; obviously a 720P movie on 1080P display will look 'at best' as good a 720P TV, if not usually worse, regardless of the size.

Emulators have to reverse engineer everything in software, and need crazy hardware as a result. This would not be the case when dealing with a manufacturer like Nintendo. You don't think they could source the parts (processor, etc) necessary to make it happen? Oh, they can stream HD to a higher-res screen on the Wii U pad, but this, this is IMPOSSIBLE!

Wait, you want Nintendo to include all the hardware needed to hardware-emulate a GBC, GBA, NES, Sega Master System, and Turbografx-16 in a 3DS??? That thing would be ginormous! And expensive as hell!

...I want it!

Alchemy

Why would companies have to do anything? It would be done automatically with a more powerful processor. Sure, 2D elements wouldn't magically become higher res, but at least the 3D elements would look better.

This isn't how graphic engines work. They render to a specific resolution, so they're rendering the same exact number of pixels. The only thing that could be done is scaling that image up, but that isn't anything like actually rendering to the screens native resolution.

Changing the screen resolution changes the number of pixels you're rendering, which changes the number of per pixel operations your engine has to do (pixel shaders) which will impact performance.

You don't just magically get more pixels and better looking games.

RPGCrazied

Damn, they sure do like to rip you off at gamestop. I called around, and one of the games said they would give me $3.50 for it. Haha.

Total I should get around $120 or $130. I guess not bad, since I never play them anymore.

Top Bottom