• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

I don't know when Nintendo will press sex into a disc, but when they do I'll be ready. Perhaps it'll be the next Galaxy game, or maybe what Retro is working on. But eventually my eyes will blow out of their sockets from the sheer beauty.

I don't know when Nintendo will press sex into a disc, but when they do I'll be ready. Perhaps it'll be the next Galaxy game, or maybe what Retro is working on. But eventually my eyes will blow out of their sockets from the sheer beauty.

Just a thought about this - kind of ! Does anyone think Nintendo had any visions in place for games at anytime in say the last 20 years, that will now only be possible on the U.. HD / power wise. Or do you think those kind of ideas only started to roll in after Wii U conception?

japtor

So you agree that the scenario of alleviating the OS + system features footprint on ram by using the flash is possible.

Then, the event of 1GB total with roughly 1GB for games (say 9XXMB so rounded up as 1GB) and XXXMB for the Wii U functions divided between XXMB in the ram and XXMB to XXXMB on the flash is possible.

There are a few elements that don't make me believe in this scenario 3 of mine. But this tidbit of "retail condition" (point four in my long post) is making me at least considering it whereas it wasn't the case before. So i basically cover my back and present this scenario :p
You can't just depend on the flash like that though, like for the maximum RAM usage game scenario posted you'd need to wipe the game out of memory any time you used one of the OS apps (like the 360 for most functions) cause you don't have enough flash to swap the game to. For the flash as swap ideas to work you'd need at least the amount of RAM of the largest chunk that will be swapped out. Just using it directly as a pseudo pool of RAM would be too slow.

That said if the SLC tidbit is true then I imagine it'd be used for...well something with a lot of writing, hopefully something more efficient than the virtual memory ideas that have been tossed around. MLC is decent enough these days (fast enough and cheaper), the main reason to use SLC is the increased amount of write cycles.

The most obvious use I can think of would be a disk cache. If it's there for any game to use it'd need good write endurance, and it'd be faster to read from than the optical drive or any other storage. Probably a stretch if you're relating it to RAM usage, but it could help (in the game space) if more data could be streamed rather than loaded all initially.
i think at this point sega should just have a compilation disc of all the things the wii u will have missed up to now. nintendo fans will buy sega stuff at retail.

also, i want them to start bringing over other seldom-seen things. figure out how to get the panzer dragoon quadrilogy on some online services. and of course, get skies of arcadia up there as well.
Yeah I'd buy some Sega comps, otherwise probably more likely if they were download like the XBLA stuff. I'd probably get Outrun 2 and After Burner Climax again cause I'm a sucker.
You know what would make me get a Wii U? If they release close to all NES, SNES, N64 and handheld games in the Eshop. Not the half assed efforts they did before. I missed so many great games of the past, but I don't want to find old games on ebay etc.

What are the chances of Nintendo really going crazy with the Eshop?
Going by the 3DS, probably not good. It's not horrible there (and I'm guessing hardware limitations for emulating later systems) but I wouldn't expect a flood of games or anything. Seems better than the Wii at least but that might just be cause I jumped in on the 3DS later on rather than at launch.
Well:
In the press release on Square Enix's official site, the translated page promises "the introduction of new information about the Wii U version", which includes details of the battle system, data delivery and also a photo competition.
and the english PR here: http://nintendoeverything.com/97864/square-enixs-tgs-2012-lineup-dqx-wii-u-details-incoming/
Various stage events are planned for the recently launched game in Japan, DRAGON QUEST® X, including new information about the Wii U™ version. Square
It doesn't necessarily mean they'll show it, they could just talk about it for all we know.

I am still hoping for an easy switch mod like on the US/JPN Gamecube, that would be AMAZING!!!

Remember seeing the GC units at shows with switches on the sides? So awesome. We need that to happen!

I remember this gaining popularity around the time of the Brawl delay.

freeloader_wii.jpg

You can bet if Smash Bros. U has a random three month delay in the UK for no reason, I'll be buying the FreeloaderU.

z0m3le

Banned
A few things:

Far Cry 3 on PC isn't representative of next generation gaming, in design anyway. Fact of the matter is even these games that look gorgeous on PC are, for most part, built to be scaled to current generation platforms. It introduces design and scale limitations to the core of the project. After all, if you make your game too reliant on high end PC hardware, you may not be able to port it to the 360/PS3 at all. What we tend to see with these titles are games that can safely run and function on the 360 and PS3, and for PC we see a second coat of paint to spruce up the presentation. Sometimes that second coat of paint can be trivial, other times dramatic. But end of the day, the game itself will be exactly the same.

Now, a game built to fully take advantage of computing power of high end PC hardware? That could be something else entirely. We haven't really seen many, any of these games (Total War series probably pushes the bar higher than any other game), and won't until the next generation platforms come along. Building projects for high end hardware means more than flashy visuals. It means great scene complexity and density, arguably richer and more dynamic world interactivity, and other goodies that require complex computing power.

Take, for example, procedural destruction. We've seen some games this generation toy with the idea (eg: Red Faction: Guerilla), but the processing requirements are simply too high. Next generation it will be less of a problem, and we may see more games adopt procedural destruction and other gimmicks into design, doing so in ways that were impossible on current generation platforms either because of raw computing limitations, or RAM bottlenecks.

Where the Wii U will sit in all of this will depend on the hardware. I think sometimes people look for a cut-and-dry answer to the porting question, as if we can say "okay the Wii U is a 6/10 and the 360/PS3 are a 3/10 and the PS4/720 are an 8/10, and 6 is closer to 8 than 3 is so that means we'll get ports", but it just isn't that simple. Difficulty of porting will depend on the complexity of the games, the engines running those games, and what developers are willing to sacrifice to get the games running on weaker hardware. Some games from this generation were, with appropriate scaling, possible on the Wii. Like the Call of Duty series. Other games most definitely were not, not unless the devs took a hatchet to the design and started sacrificing big things to scale the game to weaker hardware. Assuming the engine could even run on the platform at all.

I do think we'll see titles next generation that could be scaled down to the Wii U. How far they'll need to scale will vary, but I think many games will be 'possible'. Whether or not publishers see it as worthwhile is another matter entirely. But I'm also confident we'll see plenty of games that, for whatever reasons, would be too difficult and frustrating to scale down to the Wii U, much like the Wii, where from a developer point of view too many components of the design and presentation would need to be sacrificed.

But, you know, this is all just speculation. Fact of the matter is nobody here is able to truly predict how next generation will play out, where the capabilities of the Wii U will sit relative to the other next generation systems, and what difficulties developers will have with the platform relative to processing requirements of their new games. We'll just have to wait and see.

I respect you and most people here think of you as knowledgeable, so a post like this I just couldn't leave unanswered. Most of the stuff you said would be true if you just look at high end PCs, but no one is going to target only high end PCs. Thanks to budget concerns and limitations as well as where the PC market is headed, games built for the PC will target SUB-TFLOPs PCs. Trinity for instance is a recent APU from AMD with a moderately reasonable GPU inside, this GPU is 614GFLOPs. No one is going to make PC games that ignore such a huge margin of their business, so nearly all PC games will likely target these specs as the minimum for years to come. The real reason being that the budget PC GPUs are 786GFLOPs and have been for at least 3 generations, Intel also hasn't caught up to trinity and is still likely 2+ years before they match that performance marker...

Another thing to consider is high end PCs with single card GPUs right now are at 4.1TFLOPs, and by the end of 2013 that is expected to hit 6TFLOPs, meaning the dual GPU cards like the HD9990 (unannounced) will hit as high as 12TFLOPs. So PC games will be held back quite a bit by these sub-2TFLOP systems, there is no way to fix this as those cards are well over 300watt TDPs and also $500+ dollar cards.

Wii U is expected to sit around 600GFLOPs, and thus will likely already fit into minimum PC specs. Wii's problem was entirely different than Wii U's, in fact if Wii had used unified shaders, it would have gotten most multiplatform games simply because development would mean running the same code, instead of using different engines and making the games from the ground up.

If PS4 hits that 1.843TFLOPs GPU that it was targeting last year, it will only mean hitting high PC settings and quickly fall to medium settings. As a console gamer, most people don't realize these background workings, but it quickly happened to this generation as well, just look at BF3. The consoles run below minimum specs http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-system-requirements/

TL:DR The entire idea that PS4 and XB3 will somehow be too powerful for Wii U to get ports is not only ridiculous in theory but wrong in practice if any history is to be looked at. Wii was completely different than PS3 and 360, that is simply untrue when you look at Wii U and compare it to anything coming out in the next 2 years.

It's not a 3DS, that's is based/focused on Japanese support. Honestly, up to now, a normal western Wii U is the best choice, imho.

Well, it depends on the delays really. I enjoyed owning a Japanese GC and having games a long time before UK or even US launch (I had all three console versions at one point).

Did Wii get much in the way of Japanese only games that were worth buying?

I think a US WiiU will be the best version, 60hz Virtual Console ftw.

The_Lump

Banned
It may be a thread for anyone and anything, but i fail severely to see the point of people continually dragging any positive news into the toilet without facts to back them up. I also fail to see what is gained in an endless tech debate about specs that are completely unknown and will continue to be until the system is finally opened up etc. If the inevitable answer is that the Wii U is weaker than the next xbox or playstation, then why does that topic need to go on and on and on? Seems like common knowledge that it is weaker than the next two, but more powerful in an undetermined as of yet amount than current gen xbox and playstation. It also seems like common knowledge that despite being less powerful that there will be some games that come to Wii U via downporting and others that may not, for reasons spec related or not. All of these things seem very common knowledge and yet there will be hundreds of posts repeating the same thing over and over. If someone is coming here to discuss the console, do you personally think they want a faceful of shit every single time about how the Wii U sucks, when there is NOTHING we can do to change it at this point? Do you think that if enough bitching goes on here in this thread that it will change the specs before its out? Theres nothing we can do, its out of our hands. We must either buy the ticket and take the ride or not. For those who are into it then great, for those who think its shit then great, theres a ton of other stuff out there that will appeal to your tastes.

And you say that this thread isnt supposed to be about Nintendo fans talking about how perfect nintendo is, i dont know any nintendo fan that doesnt have some complaints here and there about the company. I have never seen any thread or IRC or anything where all nintendo fans agreed and had no complaints about nintendo. Why cant the thread be about games? How does the thread go for 40 pages without any talk of gameplay or games themselves? Theres a ton of things that could be being talked about that arent blind praise for nintendo. But it never gets to that point because all it ever amounts to is the same old crap every time about how nintendo effed up by not making the console more powerful. It gets old. Really old.

All i ask you is this, what do you get out of coming into a thread for a system you dont like, for a company you dont seem to care much for, who makes consoles that dont get the games you want, and whose consoles arent targeted at your demographic, to perpetually remind everyone how bad it is? I hope im not stepping out of line by asking this, but seriously what do you get out of it?

You are being a bit ridiculous saying that gushing is all that went on in community, it was never like that ever, not since the original thread which i have followed since day 1 when it wasnt even in community yet.

Another point id like to make, it is nice to have back and forth. But i feel there comes a point where its not back and forth, its pointless life-sucking that drags everything to a slow crawl. For example, i think _________ game sucks. I got a whole laundry list of things i hate about it. Ive got a whole list of things it "needs" to be better. And even if all those things got fixed id still hate it because i just dont like those kinds of games. What good would i be doing the people in the thread for ________ game if i went in there constantly saying how bad it was? Even if im right about it sucking, it doesnt do those people any good. Im prepared just to let them have their fun and enjoy themselves. I bring nothing to their discussion. Even if im right, they dont care anyways. Just like how i personally dont care how "upset" everyone is that the Wii U isnt super powerful. All i care is that its going to have some great games on it here and there. Thats good enough for me, and i think thats a healthy outlook as opposed to hundreds of pages of "omg Wii U failed to meet my personal expectations so its a failure to everyone else too". No amount of being upset will change what it is. If its not what you wanted, dont buy it.

Well said. Couldn't have put it better.

Number45

I think a US WiiU will be the best version, 60hz Virtual Console ftw.
I think I'll have to accept that I won't touch the VC if/when I get a Wii U. I'm done with the hassle of importing (and with our economy the way it is, it's not cost effective like it used to be) so I'll be going for a standard UK model.

In an ideal world they'd let you choose the version (same goes for PSN).

The_Lump

Banned
If you don't know anything about a subject do not talk about it!

OoOE makes a CPU faster by making it stall less often, it has no performance drawbacks vs IOE and will run code optimized for IOE just fine.

Also kind of hard for SMT to be a problem when both Xenon and CELL both support it!

If you don't know the context of my post - don't reply!

OoOE is only a problem in that current gen console games are designed for In Order CPUs (PS3/360) So porting to WiiU isnt as straightforward as it might be. Of course OoOE is an advantage overall - and thats the point of my post: The advancements in the WiiU CPU will mean games optimised for dissimilar architectures will suffer. That's a known fact and its why lazy ports won't look any better. Read the post before replying dude.

Edit: And you're correct about SMT, I thought WiiU had some more advanced version but must be mistaken, apologies.

JordanN

Banned
Look up my posting history, or check the community WUST, it's been mentioned a few times, and the source has been brought up a couple times, all I can say is the source would likely know that spec.
Too many posts to look through and I've read past WUST's and don't recall an actual insider or dev with that knowledge. Who's the source?

z0m3le

Banned
None of these games are specifically made for PC though. They're designed and built fully with intention of working on current generation platforms. In most cases they're up-ported to PC equivalent next-generation hardware.

Again, we haven't really seen games built specifically around this hardware yet.

The GPU's architecture, yes. The rest of the hardware, not so much. Well, we don't know. Rumours point towards a divide between the GPU and CPU: GPU more modern and quite capable, CPU a little dated and troublesome. But again, it will depend on what, exactly, these games are doing and what the engines require that will dictate scalability to the Wii's architecture. More than just texture resolution and tessellation gimmicks, but scale of design and complexity of world dynamics.

These are hypotheticals though. These games may not exist at all, for whatever reasons.

This is also true of rumors coming out of the PS4, and using jaguar cores. Jaguar cores being ATOM competitors, and a far cry from modern day CPUs, they are even troublesome to compare with Xenon, as their clock speeds are limited to around 2GHz.

NickMitch

Spitter was in the E3 demo, I believe. What was new in one of the recent ZombiU videos from some event was the first sighting of the Jogger, the "fast" zombie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffRzrcrEUo (that was shot by one of our GAFers, wasn't it?)

No. Just checked the E3 gamplay videos, no spitter, no sprinter either, so we´re both right i guess. That rippling of the spitter is something i would have remebered if seen.

Keep in mind that this is not a shooter. The characters get progressively better at things like shooting, reloading so it's natural that their aim is a little "weird" when you start a fresh character after dying. Remember that they're aiming for Dark Souls in first person with guns and you should know roughly what to expect.

Did you notice aiming progression while you we´re playing, or is it something that they told you will be in the final game?

Yeah, I´m hoping it to be rather horrifying, stressful and frustrating, something the videos really shows, me thinks.

onilink88

Anyone considering a Japanese WiiU import?

*In case of region locking*
Not going to waste money on an NA Wii U if its situation is analogous to that of the NA-Japanese 3DS in terms of software support/software pacing/localizations.

Might as well get a Japanese Wiiwoo right off the bat and not have to worry about that stuff.

OoOE is only a problem in that current gen console games are designed for In Order CPUs (PS3/360) So porting to WiiU isnt as straightforward as it might be. Of course OoOE is an advantage overall - and thats the point of my post: The advancements in the WiiU CPU will mean games optimised for dissimilar architectures will suffer. That's a known fact and its why lazy ports won't look any better. Read the post before replying dude.

But he's saying that OOE doesn't have a performance hit if you're running code intended for sequential execution. And I'm inclined to agree. Pretty much all modern PC CPUs switched over to OOE without any drama whatsoever, even when running intensive programs designed years ago. It's not a change in architecture as much as it is undisputed improvement in every way over in-order execution.

But that's irrelevant really. You're saying that having OOE on the CPU will mean "lazy ports won't look any better", which isn't true, as how good games look is pretty much entirely down to the GPU.

D-e-f-

Banned
No. Just checked the E3 gamplay videos, no spitter, no sprinter either, so we´re both right i guess. That rippling of the spitter is something i would have remebered if seen.

Did you notice aiming progression while you we´re playing, or is it something that they told you will be in the final game?

Yeah, I´m hoping it to be rather horrifying, stressful and frustrating, something the videos really shows, me thinks.

I have not played the game, I going by what they've said in interviews.

The spitter really wasn't in the E3 showfloor walkthroughs? Must've been one of the gamescom videos where I've seen that then. 3 weeks ago almost feels like 3 months :D

Checking platforms supported by UE4 ;)

(some surprises there)

you tease! :)

jimi_dini

Their design philosophy is focused on couch co-op. Especially with this series. There will not (ever, probably) be online co-op in a Mario platformer. You may not like it but that's what they're going for. We've had this discussion with the first game and their reasons for not doing it will be exactly the same this time: You're supposed to sit next to each other.

I thought it was also caused by lag issues.
I mean lag doesn't matter as much in shooters.
In a 2D mario, where pixel-perfect precision is required, they would have to sync it perfectly (60fps) to make it work. Which would mean anything above 16ms latency is too much. So LAN would probably work, Internet not.

D-e-f-

Banned
I thought it was also caused by lag issues.
I mean lag doesn't matter as much in shooters.
In a 2D mario, where pixel-perfect precision is required, they would have to sync it perfectly (60fps) to make it work. Which would mean anything above 16ms latency is too much. So LAN would probably work, Internet not.

Unless they introduce crappy LBP-style floaty-jumping :D

NickMitch

I have not played the game, I going by what they've said in interviews.

The spitter really wasn't in the E3 showfloor walkthroughs? Must've been one of the gamescom videos where I've seen that then. 3 weeks ago almost feels like 3 months :D

Ok. XP in some way then perhaps.

Yeah time could not go fast enough. Things doesn´t get better by hanging out here at GAF more time than what´s within common health recommendations.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Checking platforms supported by UE4 ;)

(some surprises there)

Can't possibly see why you'd post this in this thread if the Wii U didn't support it, so I'm hyped.

I guess to them they want to maximise their marketting impact. If they, for example, released the price and launch colours early then the mainstream press would write about that for a few days and then forget it. If they release everything at once (Maybe spread out over a week would be better) then it can gain maximum buzz. Remember, the 13th is the day after Apple's conference too so they will probably expect to benefit from the tech buzz that's going on at the time.

Basically, people do need to realise that Nintendo doesn't give two shits about enthusiast gamers like those who frequent NeoGAF and all the other gamers who might get a Wii U probably don't care that they get info two months prior to launch.
Ah, okay. Maybe you should just say that instead. It is certainly more straightforward.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
This excites me :D
I really hope they show the graphics. Maybe they won't, because SE might worry it would impact the already-relatively-weak DQX Wii sales.

well I think that Wii U's version will have just a better resolution, honestly. especially if it will be out soon (as we could imagine due to its presence at TGS)

I was the one that posted the ZombiU jogger video. I was playing multiplayer so no idea if the jogger is in single player.

The controls for the game are fairly different from most FPS games (not bad though). So most videos from events will look like they are struggling with the controls because you have a few seconds to learn them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom