• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

codhand

Before
6a00d83451c23269e200e54f23ce828833-800wi.jpg
After

Before
After

So I was just picking up dinner at a small mom and pop fried chicken joint.

Six other customers in there with me, 4 hispanic, two black.

I hear Obama. Guess what the TV is tuned into?

Fox news.

This small business owner (greek I would guess) would rather put his hypocritical politics ahead of his entire fucking business.

His kitchen staff is hispanic. His customer base is 49% black, 49% hispanic and 2% white.

And here he has the TV tuned into some guy trying to attack black people and immigrants.

Its fucking amazing.

Oh, and my favorite part? The only thing I hear besides Obama, was some fox enws blowhard saying something like

" The president actually said we should stop building highways into the suburbs and focus on "our" neighborhoods, OMG WTF ISNT THAT SCANDALOUS?"

It hit me. Obama is the first fucking president EVER to actually understand urban issues, and how the highways destroyed hispanic and black communities so the white people could escape.

Thats amazing.

Ask any other president "highways to suburbs, good?" and every single one of them will say " fucking amazing!" while Obama would be the only one to say "there were significant drawbacks"

The irony, of course, is that republicans are against big government infrastructure projects, and are now trying to proclaim the amazginess of the highway program?

So I was just picking up dinner at a small mom and pop fried chicken joint.

Six other customers in there with me, 4 hispanic, two black.

I hear Obama. Guess what the TV is tuned into?

Fox news.

This small business owner (greek I would guess) would rather put his hypocritical politics ahead of his entire fucking business.

His kitchen staff is hispanic. His customer base is 49% black, 49% hispanic and 2% white.

And here he has the TV tuned into some guy trying to attack black people and immigrants.

Its fucking amazing.

Oh, and my favorite part? The only thing I hear besides Obama, was some fox enws blowhard saying something like

" The president actually said we should stop building highways into the suburbs and focus on "our" neighborhoods, OMG WTF ISNT THAT SCANDALOUS?"

It hit me. Obama is the first fucking president EVER to actually understand urban issues, and how the highways destroyed hispanic and black communities so the white people could escape.

Thats amazing.

Ask any other president "highways to suburbs, good?" and every single one of them will say " fucking amazing!" while Obama would be the only one to say "there were significant drawbacks"

The irony, of course, is that republicans are against big government infrastructure projects, and are now trying to proclaim the amazginess of the highway program?

I'm surprised you didn't call the owner out on his hypocrisy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
jamessinclair said:
This was and remains one of the biggest reasons why I support Obama not just because I think his policy would be beneficial to me but because I feel that he is certainly the only president that I can think of (my knowledge more then a few decades back is hazy) who really has first-hand experience with the realities that lower class families and urban minorities deal with. He's "in touch" with the people who need his help the most.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It just occured to me: Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961. I wonder what would have happend if he had been born just two years earlier when Hawaii still wasn't a state. Would he be eligible to run for president because his birthplace was a state at the time of nomination?

It just occured to me: Obama was born in Hawaii in 1961. I wonder what would have happend if he had been born just two years earlier when Hawaii still wasn't a state. Would he be eligible to run for president because his birthplace was a state at the time of nomination?

Maybe he was born two years earlier. It would explain how he has aged so much lately. Once he was in the White House he no longer had to hide his true age.

The thing I don't understand about the video is Obama's shout out to Wright; by June, the campaign knew he could be a problem. In fact much of the speech feels like something untouched by Axelrod, Plouffe, and the other big wigs of the Obama campaign at the time. Obama was down by like 30 points among black voters so clearly he was trying to woo some over...but what was the point considering the first caucus was in lily white Iowa

The stuff about Stafford loans and Katrina/911 sound like boilerplate progressive black arguments, and the rest is urban development policy that most liberals - white and black - believe. Here in Michigan we have the Michigan Works program where government and private businesses hold conferences to help teach people how to fill out resumes, how to spend/save money wisely, how to eat healthy, etc. Would anyone deny that many inner cities need more help with basic stuff like that than more affluent areas of a city? We can argue on whether the federal government should be involved or not, but I think sensible conservatives would support the basic ideas that make up welfare-to-work programs; after all they're upset Obama allegedly ended said programs.

Here's the problem with this video and all the other exposes: Obama is already president. People have spent four years coming up with ideas of why they like or don't like him. Most of those ideas revolve around the economy, or healthcare, or foreign policy, etc. The vast majority of people - including white people - do not think Obama is racist. They see him everyday and don't see the radical race baiter that people on the right see. Why is it that so many black leaders dislike Obama? Why is it that Jesse Jackson wanted to castrate Obama for daring to tell black people to work hard, or why Sharpton supported Hillary over Obama. If you don't like perpetrators of black victim-hood and ambulance chasing, shouldn't you like Obama's basic argument, and take solace knowing idiots like Jackson don't like him? I never understood that about conservatives. Obama couldn't be more different from Sharpton and Jackson

Finally on the accent: I thought we already established that people change their voices to appeal or cater to specific crowds. Hillary takes a southern cadence when talking at black churches, and even Tim Pawlenty did the same thing when trying to appeal to Iowans. Notice how Obama talks to NBA players versus how he talks on 60 Minutes? It's nothing new. My dad wears socks with sandals, plays tennis, graduated from an esteemed dental school, has his own business, and in general is quite corny...but when he's around his family and childhood friends from Detroit he uses an "urban" accent. Not a super urban one, but the slightly refined one that Obama uses - where you know it used to be natural but isn't so much anymore.

Conservatheory: Obamas birth certificate was faked because hes actually older than he claims. Why else would he have grey hair?

Edit: beaten like a tea partier.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

As long as you are born in an American territory I think you're fine. It was annexed in 1898 so I doubt he'd be ineligible.

Should any of that matter since his mother is was American?

McCain was born in Panama...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Should any of that matter since his mother is was American?

McCain was born in Panama...

You have to be born in the US or on a US territory, like a military base (where McCain was born) or embassy. Under these rules I presume annexed territories count towards this requirement.

As long as you are born in an American territory I think you're fine. It was annexed in 1898 so I doubt he'd be ineligible.

And his mother is a US citizen. McCain was born in the Panama Canal zone and George Romney was born in Mexico. Neither had issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
oh, so obama is a us citizen even if in some alternate universe, he was born in kenya?

I just confirmed for myself and it looks like inorder to qualify and be born out of the country BOTH of your parents need to be US citizens. You also have to have lived in the US for 15 years min.

then how was george romney able to run

It doesn't matter where you're born if at least one parent is a citizen.

If you're born on us soil, it doesn't matter if your parents are citizens or not thanks to the 14th amendment.

The only us citizens NOT qualified are those that were naturalized and originally had citizenship elsewhere, due to the possibility of divided loyalties or whatever.

Racist tea parties would love to convince you otherwise to find any excuse as to why Obama isn't REALLY president, but it ain't so.

speculawyer said:
When did he ever tell ANYONE to stop clinging to their guns or religion? He just gave them the right to take guns to National parks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTxXUufI3jA
But you see . . . your ideology and bias has blinded to what he actually said. You've been told by Hannity what he supposedly said. But in reality, Obama did NOT suggest that these people give up either their guns or their religion. Furthermore, unlike Romney's dismissive 47% comment, Obama was not dismissive of these likely opponents and said that you'd find Obama supporters among them.

Obama said:
But the truth is, is that, our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there's not evidence of that in their daily lives. You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Um, now these are in some communities, you know. I think what you'll find is, is that people of every background -- there are gonna be a mix of people, you can go in the toughest neighborhoods, you know working-class lunch-pail folks, you'll find Obama enthusiasts.
And you can go into places where you think I'd be very strong and people will just be skeptical. The important thing is that you show up and you're doing what you're doing.

So...there was a debate between Eric Cantor and a Democratic challenger on Monday? First time in 10 years Cantor is forced into a debate?
Powell twice accused Cantor of embracing “pixie dust politics” and mocked his small-government philosophy. “You don’t like government,” he said. “You should just resign and then I’ll take over.”

“You’re so far removed for 12 years … from reality that I don’t think you know what a small business is — unless it’s a hedge fund,” he said.

Cantor retained his composure through the debate, talking up his small business bona fides and characterizing Powell as a tax-and-spend liberal whose platform relies on the levers of government to solve the nation’s problems. He also accused Powell of ad hominem attacks.

“We have got to make sure we are with the facts here, okay?” Cantor said, smiling. “And you can go on your personal attacks all you want but it’s not doing anything to create jobs, it’s not doing anything to bring down the deficit.”
When Cantor was being a whine baby about personal attacks, Powell let this one rip
"I'm not attacking you, I'm describing you".
Another one
"If you cannot think of what Mr Cantor's accomplishments are over the last 12 years, you are not alone."
Whole bunch of zingers. Probably fallen to deaf ears though. No way Cantor loses this.

George Romney dropped out so the issue was never fully litigated.

Don't be dense, it would never have gone to litigation.

But even so, George Romney was at one point the front runner for the nomination and later served as a cabinet member under Nixon. If there was even a shred of possibility he might not have actually been qualified to serve due to not actually being a citizen, he never would have gotten that far. Opposition research not to mention party vetting would have eliminated him immediately.

But you see . . . your ideology and bias has blinded to what he actually said. You've been told by Hannity what he supposedly said. But in reality, Obama did NOT suggest that these people give up either their guns or their religion. Furthermore, unlike Romney's dismissive 47% comment, Obama was not dismissive of these likely opponents and said that you'd find Obama supporters among them.

Eh, I don't even watch Fox News. I'm just passing along what I find on Facebook.

Raine

Damnit O'Donnell don't give Romney ideas at the last possible minute! You know how much this campaign loves making last minute decisions!

Don't be dense, it would never have gone to litigation.

But even so, George Romney was at one point the front runner for the nomination and later served as a cabinet member under Nixon. If there was even a shred of possibility he might not have actually been qualified to serve due to not actually being a citizen, he never would have gotten that far. Opposition research not to mention party vetting would have eliminated him immediately.

By "vetting" do you mean "he was white and rich"?

So...there was a debate between Eric Cantor and a Democratic challenger on Monday? First time in 10 years Cantor is forced into a debate?

When Cantor was being a whine baby about personal attacks, Powell let this one rip

Another one

Whole bunch of zingers. Probably fallen to deaf ears though. No way Cantor loses this.

Pretty good zingers though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom