• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Takao

Banned
Crushed my soul when I found out the truth.

Though the ESRB rating was a dead giveaway :p

The dead give away was that the writer of the article on PSVitaHub had the exact same username as the writer of their "Japanese source". They made up a Japanese blog and then just used the same username, lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So...is there a Japanese version of Mad Blocker? If I'm using cfw I'd want it on my Japanese account.

wololo

Neo Member
To answer some of the concerns here:

1) This is not my work but Total_Noob's (and the new game exploit is by Frostegater). What this means among other things is that I don't fully control the release date/time. So making guesses based on the fact that I'm in Japan will probably not help. Total_Noob lives in Europe.
Right now I'm waiting like everybody else :)

2) The Game is apparently not available in Asia. People in this situation might want to create an US or EU account.

3) If you already have Urbanix, no benefit in getting this new game. Same if you are on 1.80 and Have the MH exploit, as a compatible version of the CFW was released for that yesterday.

4) The reason we do the ninja releases this way is twofold:

First, doing it in small batches is an attempt at staying "under the radar" for whatever threshold exists on Sony's systems where they would consider the sales of a given game "suspicious".

Second, by the time the game information starts leaking, the people that "matter" have had the information for days already. I am not really expecting the 12'000 members of my forums to keep their mouth shut for very long, but there's a good 1'000 that I really trust, and these ones got the information quite a while ago.

Now, I'm not saying leaks are ok. As a matter of fact, we analyze every leak that gets reported to us, and if we find out who leaked, they're out for the next release. And if you think you can easily get through the net, in the past we have not hesitated to remove a batch of 500 people from the ninja releases just because one of them leaked. These people might not even realize they are "out", since eventually they do get the Ninja release, but days after other people got it.

It's not a perfect system, but it does work

To answer some of the concerns here:

1) This is not my work but Total_Noob's (and the new game exploit is by Frostegater). What this means among other things is that I don't fully control the release date/time. So making guesses based on the fact that I'm in Japan will probably not help. Total_Noob lives in Europe.
Right now I'm waiting like everybody else :)

2) The Game is apparently not available in Asia. People in this situation might want to create an US or EU account.

3) If you already have Urbanix, no benefit in getting this new game. Same if you are on 1.80 and Have the MH exploit, as a compatible version of the CFW was released for that yesterday.

4) The reason we do the ninja releases this way is twofold:

First, doing it in small batches is an attempt at staying "under the radar" for whatever threshold exists on Sony's systems where they would consider the sales of a given game "suspicious".

Second, by the time the game information starts leaking, the people that "matter" have had the information for days already. I am not really expecting the 12'000 members of my forums to keep their mouth shut for very long, but there's a good 1'000 that I really trust, and these ones got the information quite a while ago.

Now, I'm not saying leaks are ok. As a matter of fact, we analyze every leak that gets reported to us, and if we find out who leaked, they're out for the next release. And if you think you can easily get through the net, in the past we have not hesitated to remove a batch of 500 people from the ninja releases just because one of them leaked. These people might not even realize they are "out", since eventually they do get the Ninja release, but days after other people got it.

It's not a perfect system, but it does work

Welcome! Enjoy your stay!

Few questions:

1. How strict is this mod? Can I still play PSVita games without any "downgrading" or being afraid of getting the Vita bricked by Sony? I would love me some PSP/Emulators but not worth risking it if I'm stuck with them without getting newer Vita titles.

2. How much does this rely on latest firmware? I haven't upgraded yet and don't feel like doing so.

3. It's Mad Blocker Alpha, isn't it?! :p A few people have "leaked" it already so secrecy doesn't help and that those that need it should jump on it before it gets blocked/removed.

Last but not least, what's the PSVita mod/app scene is looking like? Last I checked, this just runs PSP games. I would love some crazy apps for Vita. Hopefully, this is just a stepping stone and not a home of piracy.

wololo

Neo Member
1. How strict is this mod? Can I still play PSVita games without any "downgrading" or being afraid of getting the Vita bricked by Sony? I would love me some PSP/Emulators but not worth risking it if I'm stuck with them without getting newer Vita titles.
There is no report of Sony banning people for using this, so far. This is very sandboxed inside the PSP emulator, so, as soon as you leave the emulator, you are back with a "normal" Vita.
Vita games still run normally on this, as well as your psp games.
Of course Sony will come up with firmware 1.82 soon, which will patch this exploit. At this point you will have to choose between keeping the exploit, or upgrade to be able to play online, access the PSN, and play newer Vita games.

2. How much does this rely on latest firmware? I haven't upgraded yet and don't feel like doing so.
For now this is compatible only with 1.80 and 1.81, but I've seen earlier versions running on 1.67. I know for a fact that this could easily be backported to earlier firmwares.

3. It's Mad Blocker Alpha, isn't it?! :p A few people have "leaked" it already so secrecy doesn't help and that those that need it should jump on it before it gets blocked/removed.
I've seen other people mentioning Little Big Planet and Tekken 6 :p.
Seriously though, yes, but keep in mind that I haven't tested it myself (something that I emphasized in the release message on my forum but that leakers fail to mention), and that I only have Total_Noob's word for it. Right now I'm waiting like everybody else.

Last but not least, what's the PSVita mod/app scene is looking like? Last I checked, this just runs PSP games. I would love some crazy apps for Vita. Hopefully, this is just a stepping stone and not a home of piracy.

There are ongoing things being done for "better" exploits that would use the Vita hardware rather than the PSP Emulator (google for Yifanlu) , but for now most of the activity is in the psp emulator. I personally like this situation actually: I don't care about piracy one way or the other (I think buying cultural content is a matter of personal responsibility) but I care about the people who come to insult me on my blog every time a new exploit is released by a hacker. At least as long as no Vita piracy is possible per se, I can tell these people they are barking at the wrong tree.

To me, this exploit is the "perfect" way to play all those PSP games that have been removed from the Vita Store or that I already owned.

Thank you for all your work.

I'm not part of Wololo, I don't give a fuck about their rules. I'm a part of GAF, and the time for trolling is over.

QUOTE THIS POST FOR THE GAME

Trying to get it now...it times out at the confirm screen!

My credit card expired and the damn thing says im not using a valid credit card number...except that it's the same damn number i used the first time!!!!!! SONY!!!

EDIT: Anyone willing to let me paypal you for a PSn card or no a website I can get a number from really quick so i can just get some funds to get the game? thanks.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
There are ongoing things being done for "better" exploits that would use the Vita hardware rather than the PSP Emulator (google for Yifanlu) , but for now most of the activity is in the psp emulator. I personally like this situation actually: I don't care about piracy one way or the other (I think buying cultural content is a matter of personal responsibility) but I care about the people who come to insult me on my blog every time a new exploit is released by a hacker. At least as long as no Vita piracy is possible per se, I can tell these people they are barking at the wrong tree.
Was the yifanlu work not patched up yet? I always thought UVLoader seemed promising, but what's the missing part atm, an actual vita exploit or?

Thoraxes

I wanna do this, but at the same time I got shit I wanna buy digitally in the upcoming month ;_;

Yet again, the only games i'd want on it would be BBS and Gitaroo Man Lives! so idk

Anyone know a good PSN Card online code store? Or if you have an extra lying around that I can paypal you for? I fear if I wait till I can call Sony support, the game would have been taken down.

EDIT: Nevermind, got a friend to loan me his CC.

Grokbu

Anyone know a good PSN Card online code store? Or if you have an extra lying around that I can paypal you for? I fear if I wait till I can call Sony support, the game would have been taken down.

EDIT: Nevermind, got a friend to loan me his CC.

I personally use this site: http://www.cheapxboxlivecodes.com/

Last time I ordered, I got the code after about 5 hours. I did order during the night though and got it in the morning after, so you might get the code faster usually.

I see that you got yourself covered with PSN funds, but it doesn't hurt to mention.

Uhhh so I dumped my Metal Gear Ac!d UMD and it shows up in the TN Menu but when I press X and confirm it should be copied over to MS0:/ the TN Menu freezes... do I need double the space on the Vita?

EDIT: Nevermind I'm stupid... Super Mario World on the OLED with the Vita D-Pad is awesome! :D Though the framerate isn't because Media Engine accelerated builds of SNES9x don't seem to work on the Vita :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For those of you wanting to play PSX games via emulator in an emulator (YO DAWG...):

--It DOES NOT support PSX. By emulating 6.60 pops modules I get PSX working, but there is no sound, so better let it be.

So in theory you can do it, but you won't get 100% accuracy and I know one of you wanted to play Tony Hawk, but no Superman for you. Sorry. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Wait a minute.... Since I have the free copy of Mad Blocker from PS+...

Does that mean my exploit is doomed to expire when that time period ends?

test_account

XP-39C²
Wait a minute.... Since I have the free copy of Mad Blocker from PS+...

Does that mean my exploit is doomed to expire when that time period ends?
Yeah, the only thing you can do is to extend the PS+ membership and start the game. Then it will automatically update the expire date. This must be done before the next Vita firmware comes out though, because you need to be connected to PSN for the expire date to be updated.

Varth

Can't believe this. Made it downloading the game (5effin euros :\) but battery crapped on me when I was about to transfer it and had to wait until Sony cleaned up their tracks.

Game's horrible, too. Should have gone with Tekken 6 :D

I never do this back seat modding stuff, but honestly, dude deserves a ban for that shit lol.

God forbit that. It would come to the point of having to ban all the people who make shit up to make fun of teh corrupted gaming media.

Anyone able to get peace walker working on the vita? It's running, but I am unable to start a mission. I've tried minimal data install and the full data install with no luck. FFIV CC runs fine though. Google only has one mention but it was a problem on the psp and not vita. I'll try posting on wololo forums later in the compatibility thread. I'm on mhfu 1.80 with TN-A by the way.

Akito

Either I am doing it wrong or I'm missing something because I just cannot get PSP ISOs working. I have FW 1.81 on my Vita, a PAL account, both PAL versions of Urbanix and MadBlockerAlpha. I've tried to include the ISOs in the savegame folder of Urbanix as well as MadBlockerAlpha and copy both over to the Vita but all I see in the TN menu are the Minis and PSX games I've bought with the Vita :(

So put it inside \Documents\PS Vita\PSAVEDATA\883e95467082f66d\NPEZ00327CPMEM

and it will work? Can I put two? (have only two games)

Put as many as you want as long as the names are different.

Anyone able to get peace walker working on the vita? It's running, but I am unable to start a mission. I've tried minimal data install and the full data install with no luck. FFIV CC runs fine though. Google only has one mention but it was a problem on the psp and not vita. I'll try posting on wololo forums later in the compatibility thread. I'm on mhfu 1.80 with TN-A by the way.

Having you tried booting the game up with M33 mode? (hold R when booting up the iso) Not sure this will work but I've seen it suggested before.

TheSeks

PSY・S;43017001 said:
Is the CFW out yet for the NA Mad Blocker Alpha?

Been out for hours, dude. Check the usual sites.

Also OpenCMA doesn't work for me. :/

I don't know much about CFW. If I install it, is there anyway to get rid of it if I want to go back to OFW, or will I have to wait for Sony to come out with a new update?

TheSeks

I don't know much about CFW. If I install it, is there anyway to get rid of it if I want to go back to OFW, or will I have to wait for Sony to come out with a new update?

*sigh* Again:

It's CFW in an emulator sandbox. IE: It's only in the emulator, not within your hardware itself.

If you no longer want the "CFW", reboot/shutdown the system and restart it. Simple.

MechaX

The last time I checked out this thread was in the beginning of September, back when there was some doubts of any CFW business going on.

Now that I see that the thread has grown exponentially since then, I imagine someone has figured out how to get CFW running already?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Can't you purchase it on your own? Just wondering.
One drawback to PS+ is that you can't purchase a game (thus keeping it "forever") if it's offered for free, or you got it for free through PS+. You only get the download option.

I made a new account and got it there, just in case.

Ran rp

So every time I want to add a homebrew/game I have to back up the save to the PC, add whatever, then transfer it back to the Vita?

TheSeks

PSY・S;43018788 said:
So every time I want to add a homebrew/game I have to back up the save to the PC, add whatever, then transfer it back to the Vita?

Yes, until the hardware itself is cracked and you are no longer in a sandbox.

Worth the hassle, IMO. But YMMV on how willing you are to go.

Aeana

What happens if you have an ISO on the Vita, but then you delete it on the PC side and transfer over? Does the one on the Vita get deleted too? ( Provided you didn't choose "move this game to ms0:\ISO?" when you launched it)

This new TN-B version is great. Even better with yMenu. Its like the XMB. Arctic Edge also finally works again. I own the digital version from PSN and it doesnt work in NA but with this I can actually play it.

Top Bottom