• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

I'm not saying Sony deserves this. But based on what they've done, it is natural that hackers would come up with illegal solutions.

By promising Vita is fully compatible with PSP, they

1. forces people to buy games again to play on the Vita even if they've already owned those UMDs,

and 2. are not willing to put enough effort to make sure all PSP games are available on PSN, most notably KHBBS and CCFF7.

It is very sad. Because I don't think most people would go piracy if there were a reasonable legit way to play their own games on the new system.

You know it's not Sony's fault those games aren't on PSN right?

I'm not saying Sony deserves this. But based on what they've done, it is natural that hackers would come up with illegal solutions.

1. forces people to buy games again to play on the Vita even if they've already owned those UMDs,

and 2. are not willing to put enough effort to make sure all PSP games are available on PSN, most notably KHBBS and CCFF7.

It is very sad. Because I don't think most people would go piracy if there were a reasonable legit way to play their own games on the new system.

1. They are not forcing you to do anything. If you want to play UMDs, keep your PSP. If you want to play them on the Vita, use the store. Neither of those justifies hacking the Vita to play back up copies.

2. As it has been said before, this is not entirely up to sony. Sony is not the mafia that can strong arm other companies (square and disney) into doing what they want.

3. The bolded. The vita doesn't play UMD, hence there should not be an expectation that it has to.

/derail

If this was a PSP emulator with full PSP kernel access - meaning you could have the full power of the PSP used to emulate or playback all the stuff the PSP did, but left the Vita intact and protected - I'd be all for it stopping right there.

The OG PSP was the best emulation handheld ever, and that's all I really would like to see happen. If I could have my good old UMD jukebox functionality back, and all the emulation back along with my Vita games, I'm down to buy one of these things finally.
The Vita appears to run emulators just as smoothly as PSP right now. The problem is that some of them weren't fast enough, and as they're going through the PSP emulator on Vita, they never will be any faster. Certain SNES games will never be full speed, N64 will never be full speed. If they got full Vita access, these could become full speed. PSP is not good enough.

Lime

I don't even care much about buying the games again. I care more about being able to play the games that aren't available digitally. I'd be totally okay with it stopping right now, as long as I can play VP:L on the go.

Sweet, sweet, Lenneth.

Maybe SquareEnix should put VP:L and VP2 up on PSN. Or make VP3 :)

One more day...

iwVNIQYAfSDUV.gif

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Is there a way to know before it will get leaked to the net and sony to bring it down when a game has a exploit?
A leak of the leak?

1. force people to buy games again to play on the Vita even if they've already owned those UMDs,

Definitely sad that you think buying a Vita gives enititles you to be able to play games for a different system.

test_account

XP-39C²

1. force people to buy games again to play on the Vita even if they've already owned those UMDs,

As long as it is possible, such a solutions would come regardless of what was done. It doesnt matter if the Vita had an UMD drive or could run homebrew natively, there is always some reason to hack it, even if it is just for the challenge of doing the hack itself. Same thing goes with games who get pirated, it doesnt matter if the games are DRM free or not, a pirated version is always being put up for download by someone.

Maybe there would be a bit smaller chance of something getting hacked in this case, but it could still happen.

No one is being forced to rebuy the games (i know what you mean however). It is the way things go when a medium isnt supported in the new system. People are forced to buy NES and SNES games on Wii for example, even if they own the orignal.

Why isnt KHBBS and CCFF7 on PSN by the way? They're both 3rd party games, so who control it?

Takao

Banned
That could explain KHBBS. I think it is weird that these games arent up on PSN yet, but i'm sure there is a reason for it.

There's apparently a song in Crisis Core that was used during the end credits. This song was on the physical version of the OST. It was not on the digital version of the OST.

As for the other games, Square Enix probably doesn't think they're worth it. North America is the only region without the PSP versions of Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy II.

Sid

The Vita appears to run emulators just as smoothly as PSP right now. The problem is that some of them weren't fast enough, and as they're going through the PSP emulator on Vita, they never will be any faster. Certain SNES games will never be full speed, N64 will never be full speed. If they got full Vita access, these could become full speed. PSP is not good enough.
If the vita hacks would allow for piracy of vita games and eventually even less software support then the emulators running in the PSP sandbox is good enough.

Darknight

Why do folks keep mentioning LBP PSP? That game is not compatible with an upcoming exploit. Stick with Wololo's information.

And Tekken 6 is not either. If you bought it, blame Takao.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a feeling I'll be unable to reach my Vita tomorrow. Oh well. I'm not a fan of the cat and mouse game.

drkOne

Furiously refreshing 10 different sites waiting for a leak.

Not really, got Mad something something, so now I'm gonna pray, furiously

Cbajd5

I got Mad Blocker Alpha for this, so I hope it's all good.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY GITAROO MAN LIVES ON THE VITA

WHY SONY WHY TECMO KOEI WHY DO YOU MAKE ME DO THIS

I'D BUY IT AGAIN IF YOU RELEASED IT ON THE PSN IN ENGLISH

Mad Blocker Alpha isn't that bad, although a bit plain...

test_account

XP-39C²
There's apparently a song in Crisis Core that was used during the end credits. This song was on the physical version of the OST. It was not on the digital version of the OST.

As for the other games, Square Enix probably doesn't think they're worth it. North America is the only region without the PSP versions of Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy II.
I see. Maybe this is the reason why it isnt on PSN.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My big problem with wanting to have cfw is that I have to be able to region switch to play all my games (can't do that on cfw) and have to be able to get stuff off PSN since I'm more a fan of small downloadable games than big offerings......you really have to have two vitas to pull this off, Sony locked this down so much more than the PSP.

MrMephistoX

I got Mad Blocker Alpha for this, so I hope it's all good.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY GITAROO MAN LIVES ON THE VITA

WHY SONY WHY TECMO KOEI WHY DO YOU MAKE ME DO THIS

I'D BUY IT AGAIN IF YOU RELEASED IT ON THE PSN IN ENGLISH

Mad Blocker Alpha isn't that bad, although a bit plain...

Same thing with Mega Man Powered Up, Kingdom Hearts and Crisis Core.

beanman25

My big problem with wanting to have cfw is that I have to be able to region switch to play all my games (can't do that on cfw) and have to be able to get stuff off PSN since I'm more a fan of small downloadable games than big offerings......you really have to have two vitas to pull this off, Sony locked this down so much more than the PSP.

Luckily, I've got 2!

Toki767

Seems like the game is officially confirmed on the message board. At least, I'm seeing the message about it. Anyone else?

Top Bottom