• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate announced for Wii U/3DS, coming to West, no 3DS online

Ultratech

Wait, they stopped requiring it or they just shut down the PS2/Wii games entirely?

It still would've needed SCEE to updated Ad-hoc Party. For whatever reason, Sony's western branches refused to lift a finger to support MH on PS3.

The PS2 games have been shut down for a while now. I think they stopped support sometime last year in Japan for them, IIRC.

As for SCEA not wanting to upgrade Ad-Hoc Party, I think it was more of a money issue, since they'd also would have had to update their infrastructure to support the upgrade.
Just to do all that for one game that might not be that huge of a seller probably didn't seem worth the trouble.

Hiltz

... We won't be able to play MH3U HD on the GamePad? What the fuck, Capcom ? I'll still buy the game, but man, what a wasted opportunity. Worst news of the day for me.

Being able to play it on the GamePad is the most obvious big deal you could do with the game. How many times have we had to quit our games in the middle of a quest when someone else in the room demanded to watch TV instead ? Argh! Capcom, please at least let us type on the touchscreen. Please. We need something that's actually convenient and practical.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
... We won't be able to play MH3U HD on the GamePad? What the fuck, Capcom ? I'll still buy the game, but man, what a wasted opportunity. Worst news of the day for me.

Being able to play it on the GamePad is the most obvious big deal you could do with the game. How many times have we had to quit our games in the middle of a quest when someone else in the room demanded to watch TV instead ? Argh!

...pop in the 3DS version in that case? It's clear what they're going for here, and that's big screen = Wii U, small screen/portable = 3DS.

Can anyone who has played this give a little overview of the controls. I got Tri for the Wii but could never get past the rather backwards setup. Well I guess I could have got used to it, but every time I took a break and played something else it always hard work to get back into it.

The game is designed in a way that makes it hard to pick up and play. Similar to old school action adventures or RPGs, it expects you to put in the effort to learn the controls, and more importantly the rules of the game.

It's a game that demands dedication, skill and more dedication lol.

If you are willing to devote a considerable amount of time into familiarizing yourself with the controls, rules and skills needed for the game, you will be rewarded with one of the deepest, challenging but also most rewarding games that is available today.

But like I said, it's really down to how much you think you'll enjoy a game that has such a high barrier of entry.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No excuse. If DQX can manage it, MH3U should as well.

DQX isnt playable on 3DS though - many people use their portables at home, why even bother with the 3DS version when you can use OTP - game could be easily playable on the Game Pad, but Capcom realizes that this could lead to less sales.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Not sure where to put this, so i'll stick it here for any Japanobros : seems the sold out Wii U MH3 pack is available for preorder again in a few places (at least in Tokyo)

Shibuya Tsutaya in particular - where i preordered (though chances are i'm not picking up any of my Wii U's for reasons that have nothing to do with the machine, the games, or being Mr Trollycakes... but as the preorders are free, i might as well have one or two -just- incase things change)

Meesh

I still find myself watching all these videos lol. In preparation for this massive Monster hunter launch event our family really geeked out and bought 2 vitas for MHFU and a PS3 slim for portable 3rd HD. This is kind of a big deal for us because we're not really a multi console brand family, loads of fun though and Portable 3rd looks gorgeous, especially the river map. I can only imagine how great Ultimate's gonna be on the big screen.

I find your family's buying habits strange and questionable in light of the currently known future of the franchise, but more power to you for playing Monster Hunter with your family.

Meesh

I find your family's buying habits strange and questionable in light of the currently known future of the franchise, but more power to you for playing Monster Hunter with your family.
True, it's a little odd, but we just can't get enough Monster Hunter over here. The only thing I really find worrysome about these purchases in particular is the future of vita, lots of doom and gloom there, I'm hoping they make a stronger effort to support the unit.

Mondriaan

Well yeah, but why go all out on Vita when a PSP would have sufficed?
It has a better screen and when playing a PSP game, has faster load times than a PSP, and the system has a longer battery life than a PSP as well when playing PSP games. The 4 player co-op hunting genre is doing okay on the vita, and the chances that future games will be localized look good.

If I had to choose between monster hunter and four current/future good to great monster hunterish games, I'm going with the second option (especially since that choice already includes the best monster hunter title to date).

Grief.exe

This has probably been asked many times before.

So this is just an expansion to Tri? What have they changed in the starting areas? I played about 10 hours of Tri on Dolphin.

EDIT: Did some googling and it looks like just an expansion to tri adding new monsters, weapons, and areas.

Was thinking about playing through Tri again on Dolphin but I guess I better not.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
The data transfer program allowing you to do transfarring between the 3DS and Wii U versions of Monster Hunter 3G is out now! You have to search the Nintendo eShop for モンスターハンター to find it though....

Here are pics of the program

eShop download screen
DLL46.jpg

Main screen, only two options, data transfer and options to turn on/off data backup or restore from backup
ygGOt.jpg

Data transfer screen, allowing you to transfer from 3DS to Wii U and vice versa
B4rgn.jpg

john tv

Not a fan of the Wii U Pro Controller. Button placement is just...poor. Think I'm gonna go back to the Classic Controller Pro for this one.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Never got into a MH, but I'm planning on trying out Ultimate. Does anyone know if it saves the game like Demon's Souls (all the time) so if you die on a monster you can't reset and have all your materials. Or does it save only after an event/manually?

Never got into a MH, but I'm planning on trying out Ultimate. Does anyone know if it saves the game like Demon's Souls (all the time) so if you die on a monster you can't reset and have all your materials. Or does it save only after an event/manually?

I don't know (and I don't think) any of these changed in Ultimate but:
- You can only save outside a quest, and it's manual.
- Quitting a quest means you lose all materials you gained, but you also regain any item you used.
- Losing a quest a missing lets you keep anything you gained, but anything you used will not be recovered. Losing a quest either means you ran out of time or died 3 times.

scottzorus

Neo Member
I don't know (and I don't think) any of these changed in Ultimate but:
- You can only save outside a quest, and it's manual.
- Quitting a quest means you lose all materials you gained, but you also regain any item you used.
- Losing a quest a missing lets you keep anything you gained, but anything you used will not be recovered. Losing a quest either means you ran out of time or died 3 times.

Thanks

If you lose a quest do you get to retry or is it gone forever?

I wasn't sure in which thread to ask this but we wondering here what the local co-op on 3ds is like for this game.....mostly if we can play the entire game together (I know we both need gamecards).

fates

I wasn't sure in which thread to ask this but we wondering here what the local co-op on 3ds is like for this game.....mostly if we can play the entire game together (I know we both need gamecards).

You can play all of the Tania Port quests together. The village stuff is single-player only, unlike Tri though... the village quests cover A LOT more. You can also play the Port quests alone too, if you so choose.

Garou

So I have played MH3GHD for about 25 hours. I once tried to get into MonHan with MH2 on PS2 a couple of years ago, but quickly sold it again because it was an extreme grind right from the beginning, like doing the same mission 10 times to get used to the weapons and once that is done you do the first missions but have to do those several times over to unlock new ones.

MH3GHD does that a lot better, the sense of advancement is quite nice and I have just defeated Lagiakurusu and went on to to the next emergency quest against Doboruberuku.
And this quest was HARD! It actually shows how frustrating MH can be at times, so once the western release is out I fully expect the following posts by MH-beginners:

- Why does it take so long to take a damn potion? How often will this thing run me over while I have my arms high up in the air even though I went to the other end of the area? RAGE!!!
- Why can't I cancel my input before the action occurs? Like the second big swing of the great sword???
- Cats! Those fucking cats!!!
- Why does this damn paint ball wear off just before the monster flys/digs away???
- Why doesn't the L button automatically turn my character as well, instead of just the camera?
- My food-buff disappears after I get KOed once?? WHY???
- Why is there a time limit??? Not dying is hard enough so I don't need a time out when I have this thing sweating and breathing in front of me...

That being said, this is a huge-ass game. I also got the official guide, which is a danger to small kids and animals because it is a HUGE BRICK of 1200 pages.

Top Bottom