• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rich (IGN): "Some very interesting Wii U-related news coming tomorrow" [Up: Rayman]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one questioned that was newsworthy, but is not interesting at all!!! He deserves all the backlash for hyping it.

For a Wii U owner? It's garbage and sucks, justifiably so.

For outsiders? It absolutely is interesting. What happened to cause this shift? How could Nintendo lose a timed exclusive? What happened behind the scenes?

His error was using the same verbiage to plug things. That's about it.

teeny

So do folks now think that the game was basically completed for WiiU?

If I was Nintendo. I'd be pretty pissed off now.

It has been indicated that Legends was pushed further into the "Launch Window" to give it some room to breath against NSMBU. I don't know if it is true or not, but this delay really is the shitty icing on the cake.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The only positive thing I could see from this for Wii U owners is more time to implement the NFC they showed in the trailers.

JoeM86

I still find it amusing that people criticise the Wii U for its launch, when it shipped and sold more consoles than Microsoft and Sony did during their last launches. Hell, it wasn't that much worse than the Wii's launch

Where were the complaints about them not giving a good environment for third parties?

People are so expectant for consoles to sell 10 million units off the bat and everything to just shower down instantly. That's not how it works and if you think so, you'll be in for a surprise come the launch of Microsoft and Sony's next consoles

I'm not trolling. I'm a pissed off WiiU owner who it left playing a demo that has try limits which is going to expire months before the game finally gets released.

If stupid Nintendo hadn't put the try restrictions in. At least the demo would keep the game relevant for me.

You know what. I'm boycotting this game. It's a dick move by Ubi and I'm not supporting them by buying this game when it comes out.

I don't understand the limits on these demos. What is the damn point? Can you redownload the demo? Because that would make the whole thing even dumber.

(I have no problems with RL going multiplat, but...)

Ubisoft: Uh-oh, don't want our game getting crushed by Mario. We better skip the launch.
Ubisoft: Woah, the Wii U doesn't have any compelling third parties and is selling like crap! Whose fault is this?! Better go multiplat.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I suspect it *wasn't*, and this is Ubisoft spinning that fact. I've worked on games where we've negotiated extra features in exchange for the publisher permitting and funding a delay.

Yeah I guess they realised it was going to get delayed and decided at that point to port over to PS360.

Someone at Nintendo has to say something about this.

Darth

How lame that this was the "big" news.

Countless times did games say "only on xbox" to then go multiplat. This is hardly big news.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Are we sure Harker saying "the one hand giveth the other taketh away" wasn't referring to Legends being an exclusive "giveth" and now not being an exclusive "taketh away"?

Edit: What schuelma said.

EDarkness

Yeah I guess they realised it was going to get delayed and decided at that point to port over to PS360.

Someone at Nintendo has to say something about this.

I doubt they will. Not if they want to keep a good relationship with Ubisoft. They got the Big N by the balls and there's not much Nintendo can do about it.

Rich‏@RichIGN

A lot of you will blame Ubisoft but I think the blame is Nintendo's. It has not created a compelling business scenario for third parties.

That's funny because the only person I blame is Rich for getting people's hopes up.

Otherwise this is just standard industry stuff

CrunchyB

Appalling "journalism" by IGN. Bunch of jokers, why even sit on this?

Can't blame Ubi for wanting to port the game, but like people said, delaying the WiiU version by several months is retarded. The WiiU user base is software-starved for now, but that should change by fall. This is going to cost them a good chunk of sales and I don't know if releasing on PS360 in September (as opposed to a few months later) is going to make up for it.

Harlock

Flashback from 2006:

Robert Summa fired over Joystiq Fiasco
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118431

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/07/major-next-gen-console-news-coming-tonight/

Major next-gen console news coming tonight
by Joystiq Staff on Sep 7th 2006 1:15PM

We just got handed a scoop for some important news with one of the next-generation consoles. We can't talk about any specifics yet, but you have our word that this announcement is something worth waiting for.

Expect all the info tonight here at Joystiq at 12:01 a.m. Eastern.

ozfunghi

And lay off Rich. This is interesting when viewed against the Wii U landscape.

It's an interesting troll, i'll give him that.

yesterday: Hey guys, tomorrow i'll be giving interesting WiiU news! HYPE!
today: Hey guys, about that interesting news: YOU'RE FUCKED!

Sure, it does fit the criterium of "interesting"... but instead of hyping everybody up with that announcement and slamming them/us down, he could have said he had "disappointing" news yesterday.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That's funny because the only person I blame is Rich for getting people's hopes up.

Otherwise this is just standard industry stuff

Not really. The delay to WiiU version would still have been a bitter disappointment.

Let's be honest, the only reason for the delay is that having it out on WiiU for 6 months before 360/ps3 might damage their sales.

Business move by Ubi. Dick move, but business move.

Worth pointing out also the amount of hype/press this got due to its wiiu "exclusivity". Basically rode a nice wave of enthusiasm on the back of a console launch. Actually very well played by Ubi (not that they intended that from the start). Dicks. But well played.
Delaying a game from the spring into the fall is never a good business move wtf? Spring releases aren't going to be overshadowed by the upteen different titles released every fall. And I'm not sure how a staggered release is supposed to damage sales (sales of the delayed port, maybe), certainly not as much damage as going up against the heavy hitters like Madden, COD, etc.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I blame Nintendo for failing to create a platform on which a third party exclusive can meet success.

I don't think anyone but Ubisoft can be blamed for deceiving us with a Feb 26 release date. I can understand a delay, but it's not like they were three weeks from release and suddenly decided, "Welp, looks like we need another seven months, guys!"

this it simpli TRUE

syllogism

This is actually fairly interesting if the game was delayed to get the other versions out simultaneously or because they had to delay due to diverting resources.

e: or because they think the user base is below their expectations at this stage

cyberheater

Well it's obvious at this point that IGN considers WiiU a joke console. That can't be good news for Nintendo.

Chronos24

When there's enough demand for something, its gonna appear on other consoles especially from third party devs like ubisoft.

Haunted

Yup he's right. Nintendo has failed with 3rd parties again and this time it's looking like it's going to be on a level that we never thought they could achieve.
If the Dreamcast were still alive, he would turn around and be all "daaaamn, you're getting Dreamcast'd hardcore, son!" to the WiiU.

In fact, if things continue on this trajectory, we might be calling the phenomenom of third parties absolutely shunning a system at every turn "WiiU'd" in the future.

Given that the Wii U will actually probably have games before Fall (Ninty doesn't like announcing years ahead anymore...) I doubt it will even sell as well as it would have in Febuary. You'd think they'd release the game on Wii U on schedule then release it later in the year. And what gives, you'd think that some people buying it on Wii U would be just as good as on 360, unless they are specifically hoping to chart one system (other than Wii U) which doesn't even help anything.

EDarkness

Not really. The delay to WiiU version would still have been a bitter disappointment.

It would have been, but at least it would have come out of nowhere with no real buildup. Instead he built the whole thing up, and slammed it down on folks. He should have simply kept his mouth shut. The news would have still been a disappointment, but with less "I'm rubbing it in your face" before hand.

I blame Nintendo for failing to create a platform on which a third party exclusive can meet success.

I don't think anyone but Ubisoft can be blamed for deceiving us with a Feb 26 release date. I can understand a delay, but it's not like they were three weeks from release and suddenly decided, "Welp, looks like we need another seven months, guys!"

And how exactly is that platform created other then BY RELEASING GAMES. We always come back to this same circular argument. 3rd parties complain their games have no audience so they don't release them. How is this audience suppose to grow without games that entice them? At some point some risk has to be taken.

If Nintendo had gone out guns blazing with a large lineup of first party titles they would have complained as well. It's a catch 22. There's no way for Nintendo to succeed

Portugeezer

4RvELcm.jpg

Ivan 3414

I honestly don't understand why people are calling Rich a dick. It's your own damn fault for getting hyped up on "interesting" news.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't relate "interesting" to "good" or even "exciting" news. "Interesting" implies neither of those adjectives.

And how exactly is that platform created other then BY RELEASING GAMES. We always come back to this same circular argument. 3rd parties complain their games have no audience so they don't release them. How is this audience suppose to grow without games that entice them? At some point some risk has to be taken.
3rd Parties act like clueless babies in regards to Nintendo-platforms.

The strange thing is by the time it gets released, the Wii U will have several more profile games by then. Its suicide for the games future on the system

I honestly don't understand why people are calling Rich a dick. It's your own damn fault for getting hyped up on "interesting" news.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't relate "interesting" to "good" or even "exciting" news. "Interesting" implies neither of those adjectives.

You're an "interesting" member

JoeM86

If Nintendo had gone out guns blazing with a large lineup of first party titles they would have complained as well. It's a catch 22. There's no way for Nintendo to succeed

Exactly, and the ~2 million units actually sold to consumers in two months is not bad at all. If I recall correctly (and I may be wrong by this), those are the numbers MS and Sony shipped during their first two months of the 360 and PS3. As such, I really don't get people saying the Wii U has failed

I didn't even know the game was originally an exclusive.

+1

IGN wasting our time.

do we really need a Rich Defense Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom