• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

Dali

kevm3 said:
Not everybody owns a DS or a GBA, so what's the problem? If I was a PSP owner, I probably wouldn't be overly excited about these games, but there are some owners who might. If these weren't announced, there would be people proclaiming, "where are the games for PSP? Square gives no love to the PSP lol." Now that these are coming, it's "disgusting ports on PSP. Ugh." Do we even know the level of upgrades that these will get? Updated graphics and sound could make it worth it for a reasonable price. Where was it said that this is going to be a direct port of the GBA games?

I think the thing people (me) are getting up in arms about is they continue to put out these damn FF ports and remakes that nobody (me) wants, yet ignore IP's that people have been asking for (be they ports, remakes, or new games). Yes I'm talking about Crono Trigger and Xenogears. How cool would a remake of these titles be on the PSP? I'm just guessing, but probably ~100x cooler than a FF remake.

I know this is FF's anniversary at the end of the year, but Square is going to make me dread the next anniversary and actually start to hate the series as a whole if they continue to shamelessly whore it. I used to get excited about FF games, now I'll buy and play them, whenever I get the chance, because they've really flooded the FF market.

zallaaa

it seems to me or Squeenix and fresh IP's stay on two million-light-years-distant planets? I mean, there's something "new" on the DS/wii couple, but elsewhere? I can't see almost anything but adaptations of years old franchises...

I used to get excited about FF games
the same here...actually I've bought the PSX to play FFVIII :D

JavyOO7

jarrod said:
The main problem these days is Enix, who's efforts have sort of atrophied in the merger. Horii's team is doing fine, DraQue's amazing as usual, but what happened to the rest of the Enix side? Even tri-Ace is looking for new opportunities it seems. :/

I tihnk Tri-Ace did Star Ocean right? I would not mind seeing another SO soon. I still want to play 3. :(

jarrod

Banned
tanasten said:
I think you're missing Quintet, aren't you?
It's like a death in the family. :(

TreIII said:
Heh, yeah...you'd think with how Square Enix is making a pretty mint off of these remakes, that they would at LEAST get on the same bandwagon and try the same stuff with their own goods.

Say, for example...the ActRaisers, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia...friggin' Terranigma, which has a perfect English translation that we STILL never got! If there was anything begging for easy money made off of ports that die-hards would eat up, it would certainly be those games. So why haven't I heard any ports of those games announced yet...?
Reminiscing on SFC era Enix is torturous. GBA ports of Quintet's games specifically always seemed like such a no-brainer imo.

These days though... Quintet, Givlo and Produce are dead, GameArts is a pale shadow of their former selves and tri-Ace and caVia are getting outta dodge. Horii and freinds are really all there is to Enix anymore sadly. :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
duckroll said:
Super Robot Wars W is looking good! :D

i almost did a joe higashi style backflip pose, then i realized that this is never coming to the us, and moved on

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PSX era Square seems to be reviving itself... on the DS. Your loss. For my money, projects like Chocobo's Tale, It's a Wonderful World, Heroes of Mana, Revenant Wings, and DQIX are showing the same kind of creativity that Square used to have but that died away a little.
That's not quite what I was talking about...

With the exception of DQIX, those games excite me about as much as Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, SaGa Frontier, Dew Prism, and the like. Oddly enough, I really dislike the DQ series, but the drastic changes being made to the 9th game actually interest me this time around. The rest are certainly not on the same level as Square's best, non-Final Fantasy PSX work (Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, etc.).

The DS also lacks the non-RPG games which Square did so very well. Unfortunately, many of those responsible for a lot of these games have moved on.

Namomura

more Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition pics :

55951120070117_191115_1_big.jpg

CGs :

55951120070117_191115_2_big

55951120070117_191115_3_big

Aeana

I can definitely see a difference in the larger FF2 shot. In particular, I really like the high resolution text.

I doubt I'll buy these, though.

Amir0x

Banned
Namomura said:
more Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition pics :

From what I can tell, that does seem a bit of a jump from the GBA game. Really, there's no excuse this is being sold separately from FFI. If they just put them together, this would seem less awkward (still lame, but less awkward).

God, I wish someone would just lock the NES-era Final Fantasy games in a tomb forever.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
The rest are certainly not on the same level as Square's best, non-Final Fantasy PSX work (Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, etc.).
I dunno, Revenant Wings certainly seems on level with those games in terms of production, scope and aesthetic. FFCC or FF3 too really.... the main difference now it seems that new gameplay concepts or secondary development efforts get wrapped in FF dressing, rather than being their own subseries.

dark10x said:
The DS also lacks the non-RPG games which Square did so very well. Unfortunately, many of those responsible for a lot of these games have moved on.
This I'd agree with generally, though there's still a few exceptions (Chocobo Tales, Mario Basketball, Itadaki Street DS). The real noticable difference from the early PS1 days is the lack of fighters (Tobal, Bushido Blade) or shooters (Einhander, Internal Section), both more likely due to general genre decline than anything.

TreIII

jarrod said:
The real noticable difference from the early PS1 days is the lack of fighters (Tobal, Bushido Blade) or shooters (Einhander, Internal Section), both more likely due to general genre decline than anything.

Well, that, plus Square(soft) never did anything to really try and hang on to these guys.

If they really wanted to, they could've sweet talked Dream Factory and the guys behind Bushido Blade to stay by their side, but they let 'em go/spurned them instead. And with that, they just went further down a route of making sure that they would not have as much variety as they did back in the SFC and PSX eras.

But any way...getting back more on topic....are there any more reviews to speak of? I'm still waiting on a review for Kenka Bancho 2, due for release next week...!

Dali

Amir0x said:
God, I wish someone would just lock the NES-era Final Fantasy games in a tomb forever.

Seconded

jarrod said:
I dunno, Revenant Wings certainly seems on level with those games in terms of production, scope and aesthetic. FFCC or FF3 too really.... the main difference now it seems that new gameplay concepts or secondary development efforts get wrapped in FF dressing, rather than being their own subseries.

This I'd agree with generally, though there's still a few exceptions (Chocobo Tales, Mario Basketball, Itadaki Street DS). The real noticable difference from the early PS1 days is the lack of fighters (Tobal, Bushido Blade) or shooters (Einhander, Internal Section), both more likely due to general genre decline than anything.

Then they shouldn't wrap those games in FF dressing. When you would hear about a new FF every 2 years or more, it was an event. It was something that was worth waiting for and something to look forward to. But now that a FF is released every six months, I have lost enthusiasm, and am borderline filled with contempt.

The genre decline excuse works for the schmups, but not for fighters or survival horrors (parasite eve). Square could easily go back to their former glory, and give those genres another go, but it is even easier to whore your money maker.

sphinx

the piano man
Namomura said:
Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition better screens

55941120070117_172848_1_big

55941120070117_172848_0_big

WHY? and I seriously ask, WHY can't square enix properly place support on the PSP?

These remakes are absolutely redundant, the image upgrade from the SNES/GBA versions is minimal and the titles are going for their 3 or 4 port/remake.

What does it take to make SE understand that if any port or remakes of final fantasy games are being asked, it is FFVII ( seven, that game with cloud and aeris )?

PSP is the PERFECT console for an ass kicking remake of a game that has aged terribly and would certainly make the game justice.

it's sooo annoying.

the only reason they are so reluctant to decide where to port FF7 to that I can think of is that there is a huge epic battle between sony and nintendo to win the rights to said remake. anyone other excuse is lame.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, the anniversery edition versions look more like PS1-era sprites like Suikoden than 8-bit or 16-bit sprites. There is definitely some upgrade and the nice clean text is welcome.

But I'm not sure if it's a good change. I think the pixelated sprite look is early FF games. Taking that out and making it clean and nice may take away the visual appeal of the titles.

Either way I'd never touch them. Loading is sure to be worse than the GBA 1+2 and I never even finished that.

Amir0x said:
From what I can tell, that does seem a bit of a jump from the GBA game. Really, there's no excuse this is being sold separately from FFI. If they just put them together, this would seem less awkward (still lame, but less awkward).

The only way this would be a legimate product that everyone could be happy about was if it was a collection of FF1-6 for $50 with a visual upgrade to all the titles like that FF2 pic.

Dali

sphinx said:
WHY? and I seriously ask, WHY can't square enix properly place support on the PSP?

These remakes are absolutely redundant, the image upgrade from the SNES/GBA versions is minimal and the titles are going for their 3 or 4 port/remake.

What does it take to make SE understand that if any port or remakes of final fantasy games are being asked, it is FFVII ( seven, that game with cloud and aeris )?

PSP is the PERFECT console for an ass kicking remake of a game that has aged terribly and would certainly make the game justice.

it's sooo annoying.

the only reason they are so reluctant to decide where to port FF7 to that I can think of is that there is a huge epic battle between sony and nintendo to win the rights to said remake. anyone other excuse is lame.

How about they use the resources to release a NEW game with NEW ideas and NEW characters and NEW gameplay, in a NEW universe. I'd like to see a FFVII remake, but I'd rather they develop a new IP (that is actually good).

Pud

Banned
sphinx said:
WHY? and I seriously ask, WHY can't square enix properly place support on the PSP?.

It might have something to do with the ridiculously abysmal software sales on the said platform... be thankful they're still supporting it at all! Some companies are just giving up on the thing.

Ceb

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
The Einhander team is mostly still there, though (working on FFXI)

High-res FF5 or 6 might actually be pretty cool to see.

A lot of the Einhänder/PEII guys seem to be unaccounted for though. Were they involved with Samurai Musashi Legend?

but I'd rather they develop a new IP (that is actually good).

There's the contradiction, though. If you're really making something new, you can never be sure if people are going to like it ("actually good") or not, hence risk avoidance.

RavenFox

Banned
Guys Im late to the thread and Im sorry:D but all I want to know is FFIII [US] getting a release pn PSP? [I will now continue to shake uncontrollably until an answer]

sphinx

the piano man
Dali said:
How about they use the resources to release a NEW game with NEW ideas and NEW characters and NEW gameplay, in a NEW universe. I'd like to see a FFVII remake, but I'd rather they develop a new IP (that is actually good).

those resources you mention are used on final tantasy 1 and 2 remakes/ports....

If you are going to whore the franchise and do ports and remakes, anyway, then why not remake some of the newer titles?

NES/SNES final fantasies had completely been abused. Enough already. The world doesn't need ANY more ports of those games.

RaijinFY

Dali said:
Seconded

The genre decline excuse works for the schmups, but not for fighters or survival horrors (parasite eve).

I agree with jarrod there. Fighters (aside VF) are in decline no matter what you said and at the time fighters Tobal and Bushido Blade werent even the most popular, so imagine now...

Parasite Eve is one of the franchise they lost the most money on it most likely...
The first one sold around one million in Japan, but they invested massively on it they didnt break even. They tried Parasite Eve 2 with another approach (more Resident Evil-like) and it bombed much harder....

A lot of the Einhänder/PEII guys seem to be unaccounted for though. Were they involved with Samurai Musashi Legend?

IIRC almost the entire game design and programming staff was absorbed into FF11 but the graphics people mostly weren't. I think some of them ended up working on FF12. I don't think there was much overlap between Einhander/PE2 and either Musashi although they were all based in Osaka.

sphinx said:
those resources you mention are used on final tantasy 1 and 2 remakes/ports....

If you are going to whore the franchise and do ports and remakes, anyway, then why not remake some of the newer titles?

NES/SNES final fantasies had completely been abused. Enough already. The world doesn't need ANY more ports of those games.

That's what you think.

People wil;l buy these games, and Squeenix knows it. Let's face it, why would any company bother using resources to make a game for the ground up for a stable but stagnant userbase when they can release a low cost port that they know will squeeze more dollars out of the stupid? Square will stop releasing these ports when people stop buying them, and not before.

Dali

There's the contradiction, though. If you're really making something new, you can never be sure if people are going to like it ("actually good") or not, hence risk avoidance.

Okay then I retract the "actually good" part. I'd rather they develop new IP's than detract from my enjoyment of existing IP's (namely FF) by whoring it as though the apocalypse were approaching. Dirge of Cerebus without the FFVII tie in (new world/new characters/new story), would have still been a mediocre shooter, but would maybe have developed a cult following and anticipation for a better sequel. Instead it sucked and lowered the entire FF IP.

Matix

sphinx said:

it's sooo annoying.

I feel your pain, its like SE wants the PSP to fail (while they continue to thrive on the DS).

Bebpo said:
Hmm, the anniversery edition versions look more like PS1-era sprites like Suikoden than 8-bit or 16-bit sprites. There is definitely some upgrade and the nice clean text is welcome.

I think the way the page is warping is making the sprites look bigger than they are. They're cleaner, and more detailed to be sure, but if you pull it back and look at it, the characters on the overworld/town are still just one "tile" high. Battle sprites seem to be redrawn, and nicely, but the enemies still look the same. The text is gorgeous. You make a good point about loading.

What it all comes down to is that it's FF Dawn of Souls separated, with nicely redrawn character sprites and cleaner text. That means it's the broken easy-ass FF1 and the slightly-more-tolerable-than-the-original FF2. I'd love to see this kind of touch applied to FFIV-VI, and maybe these will sell enough to warrant it, but somehow I doubt it. The GBA-makes haven't exactly been rising in sales as they've gone on.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
the next all NEW good quality SE-IP will be on wii....

mark my words -.-

Matix said:
I feel your pain, its like SE wants the PSP to fail (while they continue to thrive on the DS).

Deal with it. Support from Square-Enix between consoles/handheld has never been even in any generation. They always bring the bulk of their support to the system with the highest userbase.

Were you guys complaining when they barely touched the GC or Xbox? I didn't think so.

The Einhander team is mostly still there, though (working on FFXI)

High-res FF5 or 6 might actually be pretty cool to see.

Goddamn... everyone is locked away on FFXI it seems. What a resource sapper. Is the game still even doing well as far as user base? -_-

sphinx

the piano man
Matix said:

more like they don't give a damn about what they put on the PSP.

they are so in love with DS that all they can do is throw a bone to the PSP.

TheJollyCorner said:
Goddamn... everyone is locked away on FFXI it seems. What a resource sapper. Is the game still even doing well as far as user base? -_-

FFXI is a really good profit generator for S-E. I doubt they'll be walking away from it anytime soon. It has a userbase of something like 600k unique players, with over a million content IDs. Profit from the game was up significantly this year from an already healthy amount.

Magicpaint said:
Deal with it. Support from Square-Enix between consoles/handheld has never been even in any generation. They always bring the bulk of their support to the system with the highest userbase.

Were you guys complaining when they barely touched the GC or Xbox? I didn't think so.

He's got you there.

dark10x

The hell they weren't. Everyone is always clammoring for their support.

This generation is a bit unique in that those wishing for their support elsewhere are not doing so out of brand loyality, so much as disappointment that Square has selected a machine based around 1996 technology as their primary outlet. Talk about taking one step back...

dark10x said:

This generation is a bit unique in that those wishing for their support elsewhere are not doing so out of brand loyality, so much as disappointment that Square has selected a machine based around 1996 technology as their primary outlet. Talk about taking one step back...

While I agree that in some cases people are wishing for support out of disappointment over tech, I'd say the vast majority are simply doing it out of brand loyalty. Just like always.

Segata Sanshiro said:
FFXI is a really good profit generator for S-E. I doubt they'll be walking away from it anytime soon. It has a userbase of something like 600k unique players, with over a million content IDs. Profit from the game was up significantly this year from an already healthy amount.

Well, on one hand that's good to hear. I supported the project even when my run with the game was over, but on the other hand, I wish they could pull in some new talent so people like Kato and the Einhander team could return to seperate projects.

I wonder what Takashi Tokita is up to these days? After Parasite Eve and The Bouncer he hasn't done shit to my knowledge. :(

Now that looks noticably better. I'd consider buying 4-6 again if they looked this good. CG looks great, and you just know the audio is gonna be very good.

dark10x said:

This is such bullshit and you know it. This is as much brand loyalty as anything. Did you read the first few pages of this thread?

DeaconKnowledge said:
This is such bullshit and you know it. This is as much brand loyalty as anything. Did you read the first few pages of this thread?

Of course people are going to look for ways to justify their whining.

If people are genuinely crying out for support because of "tech" reasons and not brand loyalty, then the PSP is hardly the system where people should cry over S-E's lack of support.

Ceb

TheJollyCorner said:
I wonder what Takashi Tokita is up to these days? After Parasite Eve and The Bouncer he hasn't done shit to my knowledge. :(

Hanjuku Hero, basically. :( And he was producer on the new Musashi.

Deku

Banned
FFXI makes money for S-E its also a far more worthwhile project with an established userbase than making say Einhander 2, which is a shooter no one played and I could care less about. Sorry shumps fans.

dark10x

Magicpaint said:
Of course people are going to look for ways to justify their whining.

If people are genuinely crying out for support because of "tech" reasons and not brand loyalty, then the PSP is hardly the system where people should cry over S-E's lack of support.
I suppose you're right. I understand the whole brand loyality thing myself, as I am guilty of it, but I'm at the point where the hardware limitations are a much greater concern.

I'm certainly not begging for PSP support at this point, however. I just want to see titles on 360 and PS3...but not as a multiplatform release (which nearly ALWAYS diminishes the quality). One or the other, I say.

Top Bottom