• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Japanese Magazine Dirty News (Squeenix loves PSP, EGM was right!)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
kevm3 said:
lol@a DS port of FF6 being awesome, but when Square ports some Final Fantasy games to the PSP, omg, portstation portable! Awful, disgusting Square!

if its a full new remake like ff3 on ds it`s nice....not that ff1+2 shit on psp :)

duckroll said:
Super Robot Wars W is looking good! :D

Oh Christ... it has Tekkaman and Voltron (Go Lion)... Insta-buy! Plus, is that a new Tekkaman made specifically for this game? o_O

Stupid question since I don't follow SRW that much, but out of curiosity, does the W mean its for the Wii?

Link1110

kevm3 said:
lol@a DS port of FF6 being awesome, but when Square ports some Final Fantasy games to the PSP, omg, portstation portable! Awful, disgusting Square!

Actually, 1:1 ports WOULD be dumb on DS. They would be even -dumber- on DS than they are on PSP, since GBA already has 1:1 ports. People area talking about remakes, not ports when they say that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
kevm3 said:

There's a *MAJOR* difference between a game (generally considered one of the best games of all time) being ported to a handheld for the first time, and getting 2 games that have been ported to not one but 2 different handhelds before, one of those times both of them were packaged together.

Makes sense.

Namco put Tales of Phantasia on PSP already...this time its Square-Enix turn to catch up.

Can't wait for Virtual Console and PS Store versions of Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II.

This is quick cash for S-E, these games will sell well. Yeah... it sucks for us but there will be an audience for these games and that's exactly S-E's target audience. :p

kevm3

Not everybody owns a DS or a GBA, so what's the problem? If I was a PSP owner, I probably wouldn't be overly excited about these games, but there are some owners who might. If these weren't announced, there would be people proclaiming, "where are the games for PSP? Square gives no love to the PSP lol." Now that these are coming, it's "disgusting ports on PSP. Ugh." Do we even know the level of upgrades that these will get? Updated graphics and sound could make it worth it for a reasonable price. Where was it said that this is going to be a direct port of the GBA games?

As far as I know SE has 6 new PSP projects. There are some ports-remakes, 1 orginal project and a final fantasy spin off that will suprise people.

Fady K

Robinspain said:
As far as I know SE has 6 new PSP projects. There are some ports-remakes, 1 orginal project and a final fantasy spin off that will suprise people.

You mean new games we havent heard of yet? If this info is true and it doesnt include stuff thats already announced - then I tip my hat off to you Robin :D

kevm3 said:
Not everybody owns a DS or a GBA, so what's the problem? If I was a PSP owner, I probably wouldn't be overly excited about these games, but there are some owners who might. If these weren't announced, there would be people proclaiming, "where are the games for PSP? Square gives no love to the PSP lol." Now that these are coming, it's "disgusting ports on PSP. Ugh." Do we even know the level of upgrades that these will get? Updated graphics and sound could make it worth it for a reasonable price. Where was it said that this is going to be a direct port of the GBA games?

Duh? When Square doesn't really support PSP, people say that. And when they do with disgusting ports, they say that.

jarrod

Banned
Rounding up Squeenix's future plans...

Nintendo DS
-Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (H.A.N.D.)
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (TOSE Software)
-Front Mission 1st
-Heroes of Mana (Brownie Brown)
-Dragon Quest & Super Mario in Itadaki Street DS (TOSE Software?)
-Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Ring of Fates
-It's a Wonderful World (Jupiter)
-Dragon Quest IX: Guardians of the Twilight (Level-5)
-Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Sealed Grimoire

PSP
-Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (TOSE Software?)
-Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition (TOSE Software?)
-Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition (TOSE Software?)
-Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

PlayStation 2
-Dawn of Mana
-Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix

Wii
-Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Genisu Sonority/Eighting)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Xbox 360
-Project Sylpheed (GameArts/SETA)
-tba MMORPG

PlayStation 3
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII
-tba MMORPG

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, the upcoming lineups are incredibly unappealing to me.

The only titles in which I have any interest would be FFXIII, FFvsXIII, Crisis Core, Project Sylpheed (despite mixed impressions), and Dragon Quest IX. I miss the PSX era Square.

Ginko

jarrod said:

Nintendo DS
-Front Mission 1st
-Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Grimoire

PSP

PlayStation 2
-Dawn of Mana

Wii
-Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Genisu Sonority/Eighting)

Xbox 360
-Project Sylpheed (GameArts)
-tba MMORPG

PlayStation 3
-Final Fantasy XIII
-tba MMORPG
Their manpower is scary.

RevenantKioku said:
I'm actually not really concerned about the goodness of the whole company as much as the games. Going blanketed "Squeenix is lame", to me at least, implies their games are, blanket-statement, lame. And that's far from the case. Now, if you want to argue about their tactics and all that, okay, but I think that's petty when it comes down to, yes, they release a sizable chunk of fun games.
Edit - To simplify, I think it's wiser to focus on the individual games, than the companies themselves. Sure there will be times when even I say "company x rox/sux" but in the end, it's a general game by game basis that I think is best.

Didn't you recently make a blanket statement that Level 5 is a crappy developer, without even playing all of their games - which are widely considered to be GOOD games?

It's all subjective. Ami is calling Squeenix lame cus they throw out a lot of shovelware amidst their gems. These so-called "gems" could be argued, too lately. FFXII and KHII weren't gems to me (not even close).

In conclusion, we all make blanketed statements. If it weren't for the DQ games coming out, S-E would be nearly irrelevant to me nowadays.

Steroyd

jarrod said:

Nintendo DS
-Front Mission 1st
-Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Grimoire

PSP

PlayStation 2
-Dawn of Mana

Wii

Xbox 360
-Project Sylpheed (GameArts)
-tba MMORPG

PlayStation 3
-Final Fantasy XIII
-tba MMORPG

But how many are actually made from SE internally?

they're monsters at publishing RPG games almost Ubisoft like.

Amir0x

Banned
Mana Knight said:
I actually enjoyed Musashi: Samurai Legend to an extent. Not perfect, but still fun, kind of like FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus.

You would like Musashi Samurai Legends. I am not shocked at all.

kevm3 said:
So were you equally offended when Square announced FF6 for the GBA?

disgusting ports. FFVI hasn't had a proper port/remake, FFI & II have been on all sorts of consoles, and the PSP version almost amounts to two half ports of a GBA game (making two slightly visually improved ports with an art gallery out of one GBA collection).

The very idea that FFVI is as much of a disgusting port as FFI and FFII is absurd.

kevm3 said:
So were you equally offended when Square announced FF6 for the GBA?

I think if this were FF6, people would be less up in arms. Granted, if it were FF6 it would be the 2nd portable port of the title, so there would be somewhat less excitement, but I think people would be happy to see it, especially since the GBA isn't truly capable of reproducing the lovely music without remixing it. The reason why people are pissed about this is that this is yet another slightly enhanced port of a broken version of a 20 year old game, which in its last iteration (which was its second portable iteration, and 4 years ago at that) was included with a game that is now being sold separately, which in and of itself is fairly broken.

I'm upset because these games are going to sell like shit and they will use that as justification to not bring more games to the PSP, or likely even further ports of FF games. Look at what happened with RockmanRockman and Irregular Hunter. I really would have liked to have seen more of those, but they sold like crap and so we didn't. The same thing is going to happen here.

People would also be up in arms if these were announced for DS. This is stupid. Yes, PSP fans would like more support from SE, but you know what's worse than no presents at all? A lovingly wrapped liquid shit in a box. Bah.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Look at what happened with RockmanRockman and Irregular Hunter. I really would have liked to have seen more of those, but they sold like crap and so we didn't. The same thing is going to happen here.
The difference being that Capcom actually put a lot of effort into those remakes. They were anything BUT a cheap cash in.

The two FF games, however, should require very little work and even if they fail to sell all that well, they should still be able to make something back.

I would kill to see more Rockman remakse, though.

Namomura

Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition better screens

55941120070117_172848_1_big

55941120070117_172848_0_big

no real change...

By the way, Kingdom Hearts OST has been annonced !! Must have.

KINGDOM HEARTS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK COMPLETE BOX (仮)
2007年03月28日発売
CD9枚組
定価15,000円
初収録音源有り

jarrod

Banned
Steroyd said:
But how many are actually made from SE internally?
All the games I didn't list a developer for... so about half. Even then though, many of the games are just partially outsourced, with core R&D work also being done inhouse (ie: DQ games/spinoffs, FF remakes, etc)

Segata Sanshiro said:
Look at what happened with RockmanRockman and Irregular Hunter. I really would have liked to have seen more of those, but they sold like crap and so we didn't.
I really would have liked to see them on PS2/GC... as would've most Rockman fans I'd imagine.

Meier

Mana Knight said:
I actually enjoyed Musashi: Samurai Legend to an extent. Not perfect, but still fun, kind of like FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus.

Umm, Musashi Samurai Legend was one of the worst PS2 games I ever played. Horrible in every respect.. god the surf rock soundtrack is coming back to me -- get it out of my head!

Link1110

KINGDOM HEARTS ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK COMPLETE BOX (仮)
2007年03月28日発売
CD9枚組
定価15,000円
初収録音源有り

9 cds?

KH1 had 2
KH2 had 2
KH: CoM has... 5?

55941120070117_172848_0_big

Is this remake being done by the Enix side? "Arusu" was the screenshot name for the main characters in DQ6 and DQ7 (Maybe the DQ3 SFC remake, too, I'll have to check when I get home.)

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
This is quick cash for S-E, these games will sell well. Yeah... it sucks for us but there will be an audience for these games and that's exactly S-E's target audience. :p

I really wouldn't be surprised to see mixes of the Anthology/Chronicles and Advance versions of IV, V, and VI on the PSP eventually, too... though I think folks are dreaming when they ask for an FFIII DS port.

dark10x said:
Wow, the upcoming lineups are incredibly unappealing to me.

The only titles in which I have any interest would be FFXIII, FFvsXIII, Crisis Core, Project Sylpheed (despite mixed impressions), and Dragon Quest IX. I miss the PSX era Square.

PSX era Square seems to be reviving itself... on the DS. Your loss. For my money, projects like Chocobo's Tale, It's a Wonderful World, Heroes of Mana, Revenant Wings, and DQIX are showing the same kind of creativity that Square used to have but that died away a little.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance was an excellent title. I was hooked for months (so much that I forgot I was in the middle of Mario&Luigi and Zelda:Lttp).

So a new FFTA for any system is a good thing. At least for people who haven't played the original

Ponn

Banned
Amir0x said:
Well there is a little bump in the character sprites...

There is a little, with help of high rez. To clarify I hope everyone realizes the comparisons should be made to FF 1 and 2 remake from GBA. Compared to the original FF 1 on NES you would have to blind to not notice the difference. I still don't see anything to justify the repurchase for PSP from the GBA cart though. Twice in fact to get one and two. Or to suffer through the agony of old school retarded grinding of levels.

ethelred said:
PSX era Square seems to be reviving itself... on the DS. Your loss. For my money, projects like Chocobo's Tale, It's a Wonderful World, Heroes of Mana, Revenant Wings, and DQIX are showing the same kind of creativity that Square used to have but that died away a little.

For once I agree with you. DS seems to have given Square that outlet for trying games they normally wouldn't budget for on bigger consoles. It probably helps that the DS has a guaranteed huge user base everywhere as well.

jarrod

Banned
Square's fine really, I'd say their DS commitment is already quite a step up from their general performance on PS2 honestly and coming close to their salad days on PS1 or SFC even.

The main problem these days is Enix, who's efforts have sort of atrophied in the merger. Horii's team is doing fine, DraQue's amazing as usual, but what happened to the rest of the Enix side? Even tri-Ace is looking for new opportunities it seems. :/

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
jarrod said:
Square's fine really, I'd say their DS commitment is already quite a step up from their general performance on PS2 honestly and coming close to their salad days on PS1 or SFC even.

The main problem these days is Enix, who's efforts have sort of atrophied in the merger. Horii's team is doing fine, DraQue's amazing as usual, but what happened to the rest of the Enix side? Even tri-Ace is looking for new opportunities it seems. :/

I think you're missing Quintet, aren't you?

TreIII

jarrod said:

Heh, yeah...you'd think with how Square Enix is making a pretty mint off of these remakes, that they would at LEAST get on the same bandwagon and try the same stuff with their own goods.

Say, for example...the ActRaisers, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia...friggin' Terranigma, which has a perfect English translation that we STILL never got! If there was anything begging for easy money made off of ports that die-hards would eat up, it would certainly be those games. So why haven't I heard any ports of those games announced yet...?

Top Bottom