• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 11 {2012.03.12 - 2012.03.18}

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
People are probably getting sick of racing games, so they stopped buying them.

Realistically the difference between the sales of the titles at the bottom of the chart are likely just thousands of sales apart, so Mario Kart 7 is probably just below that. As for why those two titles in particularly jumped MK7, it could be because they're action games which might be more interesting to the core action audience who were drawn to the stores to buy KI:U?
Huh. I would imagine that if you were buying two games at the same time then you would mist likely choose ones that are in different genres. For instance, I would never buy Monster Hunter 3 and KI on the same week because I know they are both loot-type games with heavy online modes that prosper with long play sessions.

Therefore I would be more likely to pick up SML3D or MK7 with KI because I know they are different genres that are acceptable to pick up and play gaming sessions which are easy to jump in and out of.

What im trying to say here is that I would of imagined that if everything was even ( no bundles), then Monster Hunter sales would of dropped slightly below the other two of the trinity group.

Nothing will help the Vita much on their own, not even bigger upcoming titles like Persona 4 and Gundam SEED. What it needs is constant quality support, which doesn't look forthcoming so far.

But as a new IP on its own GD was quite useless for the system. 100k is a really good result, but Sony should find a new IP (or a new brand) to attract consumers (+ the constant flow of quality games, of course).

Huh. I would imagine that if you were buying two games at the same time then you would mist likely choose ones that are in different genres. For instance, I would never buy Monster Hunter 3 and KI on the same week because I know they are both loot-type games with heavy online modes that prosper with long play sessions.

Therefore I would be more likely to pick up SML3D or MK7 with KI because I know they are different genres that are acceptable to pick up and play gaming sessions which are easy to jump in and out of.

What im trying to say here is that I would of imagined that if everything was even ( no bundles), then Monster Hunter sales would of dropped slightly below the other two of the trinity group.

Interesting theory, but I don't think we can assume that everyone knows that Kid Icarus is a loot-type game and is making purchasing decisions based off of that. I have a feeling that public perception of KI will make the biggest sales difference. How well did Nintendo explain what the game is? Do gamers care about genre in this instance?

But as a new IP on its own GD was quite useless for the system. 100k is a really good result, but Sony should find a new IP (or a new brand) to attract consumers (+ the constant flow of quality games, of course).

Considering in Japan only 600k Vita's have been sold and it's a new IP I'd say it's pretty good, it'll probably be a game that continues to sell under the radar as one of the few must have Vita games that people buy as the buy the system.

Considering in Japan only 600k Vita's have been sold and it's a new IP I'd say it's pretty good, it'll probably be a game that continues to sell under the radar as one of the few must have Vita games that people buy as the buy the system.

I didn't say its performance was not good. Instead, I said that even though as a new IP sold pretty well, Vita needs other kinds of games to increase its sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I didn't say its performance was not good. Instead, I said that even though as a new IP sold pretty well, Vita needs other kinds of games to increase its sales.

Well, also Wii Sport and Play were new IP's
:p

it's not a matter of new or established IP's, in my opinion, but a matter of "IP for masses".
Both new and established IP's could be important under that point of view.

BKK

60k for Media Create.

Ah yes, I see you put the sell through % in the OP, 43,462 / .7331 = 59,285. It should have sold through it's initial shipment with either tracker anyway.

Have you considered adding links to Famitsu and Dengeki sales in the OP? It's awkward to find them through search sometimes.

enishi

and now it would make more sense to talk about the numbers of reviews GD gets and the number of copies sold on PSN... assuming the number includes units sold at retail, not shipped. Otherwise, PSN number would be lower. However, this is still the best DD data we get on PSV titles.

The twitter states "国内出荷+DL販売", so it is definitely shipped number for retail copies.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ah yes, I see you put the sell through % in the OP, 43,462 / .7331 = 59,285. It should have sold through it's initial shipment with either tracker anyway.

Have you considered adding links to Famitsu and Dengeki sales in the OP? It's awkward to find them through search sometimes.

It's not needed for Famitsu since there are at garaph and the database. With dengeki there is archive for the charts.

BKK

It's not needed for Famitsu since there are at garaph and the database. With dengeki there is archive for the charts.

Yeah, Garaph not working for previous weeks Famitsu charts at the moment, and there's no Dengeki archive for 2012.

Yeah I hope GD has sold enough to give Sony confidence in that team. The Vita needs some teams working on cool games internally at Sony. 100K seems decent for a new IP on a struggling system.

D_prOdigy

I'm on tenterhooks here. Do we not get them until 50 minutes from now? I exist in philistinic UK-time, so this may seem like an odd question to some people.

donny2112 said:
Wouldn't it have been easier to just make the combined table a view? Or convert the old tables into views of the combined table based on tracking column?
I'm not sure if the new table could be entirely created as a view; it's all derived from it, but I know there are parts of it I tried to create as single queries before and failed, though I am not query king. A key example of this is the individual software pages once I added in the stuff about attach and needed hardware data. I couldn't come up with a decent query to give me an output table of all combined DS system LTD's for every week; the closest I got would end up only adding the LTDs of any that were still being listed weekly. So it used to be for every row there (and I link to NSMB because they don't come with many more rows than that) I'd have a separate query to get the proper DS family LTD. However, this is one of the things the new table stores directly, so it's now pretty painless to access both for the coder and the server.

The old tables could be a view of the new ones, but that would really only be useful if there was some script I never intended to update--otherwise it's nice to take advantage of the new columns and to ditch bits of code like

Code:
	if($Tracker[$numcur]=="mc"){
		$Tracker_HardwareWeekly[$numcur]="MC_HardwareWeekly";
	} elseif($Tracker[$numcur]=="fam"){
		$Tracker_HardwareWeekly[$numcur]="Fam_HardwareWeekly";
	}

donny2112

select system, weekly_sales, (select sum(weekly_sales) from Hardware where system in (select system from system_group where parent_system = a.system) and date <= a.date) as system_ltd
from Hardware a ;

Something like that could've worked, but whatever works, works. :)

#41 should be RE5:AE+Revival Twin Pack, by the way. It's a new release this week.

C_H_T

Kid Icarus - 133K
Black Panther 2 - 105K
DMC col. - 44K
NG3 PS3 - 30K

3DS 94,011
PS3 25,750
PSP 19,875
Vita 10,302
Wii 9,270
PS2 1,333
Xbox 360 1,084
DSi LL 1,058
DSi 778

Kid Icarus - 133K
Black Panther 2 - 105K
DMC col. - 44K
NG3 PS3 - 30K

3DS 94,011
PS3 25,750
PSP 19,875
Vita 10,302
Wii 9,270
PS2 1,333
Xbox 360 1,084
DSi LL 1,058
DSi 778

LOL@ Vita still staying barely above 10K.

KI numbers are good as well as 3DS. I'm guessing the MH3G and SM3DL boosted hardware sales significantly.

Laguna

Banned
I doubt Nintendo will be too happy with Kid Icarus first week sales. It will be interesting to see if it will have any legs.

I doubt Nintendo will be too happy with Kid Icarus first week sales. It will be interesting to see if it will have any legs.
60k-80k first day/133k first week/200k first shipment seems pretty fine to me.

LOL@ Vita still staying barely above 10K.

KI numbers are good as well as 3DS. I'm guessing the MH3G and SM3DL boosted hardware sales significantly.
I think KI had a bigger effect on numbers.

Meier

It's a pretty hardcore game. I'm sure they'll be fine with it. I would imagine it will have decent enough legs and could hit 1 million WW by the end of the year. That's not too shabby.

Laguna

Banned
It's a pretty hardcore game. I'm sure they'll be fine with it. I would imagine it will have decent enough legs and could hit 1 million WW by the end of the year. That's not too shabby.

Of course 133k aren´t that bad especially for a shoot´em´up but considering that Sakurai was allowed to hire eg several famous video-game composers, a lot of voice acting, a relatively big marketing campaign (anime shorts, AR cards) etc. I doubt it was meant to sell just decently.

enishi

May not be a good reference but the 1st restock in amazon.jp has been sold out again and next stock will arrive this Saturday

Top Bottom