• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2011 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)

Jonnyram said:
Honestly, it's scary how many replies you can get just from going against the grain.
In the Nintendo lineage, DS and Wii were major revisions while 3DS and Wii U are minor revisions.
That's funny considering the Wii never went HD and is by many considered to be the Gamecube2. Could you explain how you see the Wii as a major revision (coming from the gamecube), while the WiiU won't be (coming from Wii)? In terms of sales? Hardware? Games?

Souldriver said:
That's funny considering the Wii never went HD and is by many considered to be the Gamecube2. Could you explain how you see the Wii as a major revision (coming from the gamecube), while the WiiU won't be (coming from Wii)? In terms of sales? Hardware? Games?
Target demographic?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
You guys are waaaaaaay too serious.
Honestly, it's scary how many replies you can get just from going against the grain.
In the Nintendo lineage, DS and Wii were major revisions while 3DS and Wii U are minor revisions. That's the long and short of it, and you will see the results in the sales.
I'm not hating on Nintendo, just saying how I think it will pan out. Nintendo's golden years were GC and GBA SP for me, but everyone has their own favourite period.

Huh. I really thought your post was in jest and just designed to get a rise out of people.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kyoufu said:
Poor Level 5. Why do people hate Ni no Kuni?

I dont get it either - the game looks so great, are gamers still pissed because they had to use the book on the DS version ? I hope it does at least 300K, otherwise this would be like the first real l5 bomba since its probably their highest budget title/project as a publisher.

wrowa

Jonnyram said:
You guys are waaaaaaay too serious.
"Going against the grain" was in your case more of a "going against the facts". You simply ignore the sales numbers and act as if the 3DS has a problem selling hardware.

Souldriver said:

...really?

X26

Banned
the difference between sony fans and nintendo fans in reaction to the same kind of criticism is pretty hilarious

Laguna

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
I dont get it either - the game looks so great, are gamers still pissed because they had to use the book on the DS version ? I hope it does at least 300K, otherwise this would be like the first real l5 bomba since its probably their highest budget title/project as a publisher.

That may be a factor but in my opinion it has more to do with the setting and the really bad received Whight Knight Chronicle games, even knowing that the second one did similar numbers to the first one but that´s more because it released after FF13 (RPG fanbase onboard) and that you got "2 RPGs in 1". After those two mediocre games I would also be a little more cautious.

@Jonnyram
While there were some really good GBA games it had a similar problem to PSP, too many ports and remakes that sometimes were even worse than the original and it severley lacks in new games compared to DS. Imo the DS outclasses the GBA in every possible way.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eh, Chris reported something about "bad reputation", and the only bad reputation I can think about is from the WKC games, certainly not Ninokuni on DS... eh, Japan GAF, if you tried or even played Ninokuni, do you think it was disappointing?

BurntPork said:
I mean that it's a shame that it likely won't have quite the legs that NSMB or NSMBWii did. That's obviously an impressive number on its own, especially for 3D Mario.
There's not really a giant difference between the Wii games.

Galaxy currently about 3.9x its launch week.
NSMB currently at about 4.5x its launch week.
Galaxy 2 currently about 2.9x its launch week.

On the other hand, Super Mario 64 DS is currently at about 10x its launch week, but it was also an actual launch title.
Jonnyram said:
Mario 3DS had less impact on hardware sales than the price drop, and we are now in holiday season, as opposed to the middle of summer.
Nintendo needs something new to push 3DS, not the same old same old.
Worth noting that Super Mario Galaxy launched at the same time of year and only about 40K (depending on tracker) Wiis were sold that week. 900+K hardware were sold over the whole November+December period, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mpl90 said:
Eh, Chris reported something about "bad reputation", and the only bad reputation I can think about is from the WKC games, certainly not Ninokuni on DS... eh, Japan GAF, if you tried or even played Ninokuni, do you think it was disappointing?

Sales wise it wasnt a success and retailers had to slash the price quite quickly to get rid of their stock.

Mpl90 said:

I thought it was a bit disappointing... There were a lot of really little things that added up for me, and I went from really enjoying the game at the beginning to begrudgingly playing it, annoyed, just to get through. Looking at amazon.jp reviews, it seems a lot of people felt the same way.

I also think the marketing for the game wasn't done very well...

saichi

With Jonnyram's posts, now I have seen everything.

airmangataosenai said:
Fun fact: Type-Zero is now tracking above Crisis Core! It's significantly below Dissidia but that game had the benefit of being released immediately before the holiday season, Type-Zero looks like it'll be a slow burner and could actually surpass it. First non-MonHon for PSP to surpass a million? At the very least, might it beat Mario for the year? This should be interesting to say the least.

NO and no.

Chris1964 said:
Things don't look very hot for Ni no Kuni at first day, Modern Warfare 3 the top seller followed by One Piece.

that just confirms what almost everyone was saying for the past week.

Still blows my mind that Ninokuni is really doing so badly. Even though it's not the worst thing to see a game underperform that is mainly trying to dazzle with its graphics.

Oxx

Some things just sound a lot better conceptually than in reality.

"Rock Band + The Beatles!? That's going to sell 20 million copies!"

"Level 5 RPG with Ghibli art!? OMG!"

2011-08-08

Loonz

JoshuaJSlone said:
Streams crossed.

Looking to that graph, one has to wonder what kind of first year the 3DS would have had if Nintendo had put a proper price on it from the beginning. Über-record sales probably.

X26 said:
the difference between sony fans and nintendo fans in reaction to the same kind of criticism is pretty hilarious

Sorry to stir this wasps nest but, what difference?. To me those react exactly the same: they want to kill the messenger. Sony fans in this forum can be really scary, sometimes with their delusions, and sometimes with their knee-jerk reactions to anything that remotely means a threat to their beloved brand and/or its IPs. Exactly the same that other extreme fans (Nintendo fans and whatnot).

No group of extreme fans is rightier or more fair and balanced than the other, no matter what they think. But if you don't mind, I would like you to explain those differences. My pop-corns are ready.

Lastly, and as much as I love the DS, Mario Galaxy and other brilliant sequels Nintendo has brought to us this generation, I still prefer the Gamecube and Gameboy Advance years. I loved my GC to death, I didn't mind it's niche-ness at all. Specially Mario Kart DD, such a fantastic game. I'm with Jonnyram there.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Loonz said:
Looking to that graph, one has to wonder what kind of first year the 3DS would have had if Nintendo had put a proper price on it from the beginning. Über-record sales probably.
This record had exactly 0.001% possibilitty to happen.

Jokeropia

As has been mentioned, the holiday boost hasn't started yet. Look at how Mario Galaxy performed in 2007:

I expect a similar trajectory for 3DLand.

Takao

Banned
slaughterking said:
So I guess they are...going 1st party? But will it be Sony or Nintendo that'll buy them?

SCEJ is useless in terms of acquiring studios, so they wouldn't do it. I fully expect Level-5 will make some other franchise that makes up for the poor performance of Ni No Kuni PS3, and the potential bad performance for Inazuma Go. I also expect them to reuse the assets made in those games in as many games as possible. I expect them to make some Ni No Kuni game for Vita, and Wii U from harvesting content from PS3, and I expect Inazuma Go 2 next year even if this one suffers huge declines.

Laguna said:
They´ll concentrate on plattforms they actually had success instead.

So DS, and PS2?

I hate to break it to you ...

Alrus

I don't see why people expect IE Go to perform as well as IE2 or 3, the install base won't allow those game to reach such numbers right now... I'm pretty sure Level 5 expects it and the point is to build an audience on a platform for future sequels. I don't think Inazuma is going anywhere.

Ni No Kuni on the other hand...

Mpl90

Busaiku said:
Retailers will kick themselves over sellouts!
You'll see!

Or more simply, they'll change the shipment during this month.
...And if it sell outs the 200k of first shipment, it could even have a second quick one, since it's out on a Thursday (like Mario...which probably had a "low" first shipment, but then it saw new copies, for a total of almost 600k in the first week).
MH3G, instead, need all the copies they can produce immediately, since it's out on Saturday.

Takao

Banned
Alrus said:
I don't see why people expect IE Go to perform as well as IE2 or 3, the install base won't allow those game to reach such numbers right now... I'm pretty sure Level 5 expects it and the point is to build an audience on a platform for future sequels. I don't think Inazuma is going anywhere.

The thing is, Inazuma was already in decline on DS, and I suspect the barrage of annual sequels will spell the end.

Spiegel

Alrus said:

No one here is expecting IE Go to perform as well as IE2 or 3, at least in the first weeks.

Although the use of the install base excuse will have to stop soon because when you have the games and you have the right price (and the 3DS is well below that price range) people will buy your system to play the games. And I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen.

Mpl90

Spiegel said:
No one here is expecting IE Go to perform as well as IE2 or 3, at least in the first weeks.

Although the use of the install base excuse will have to stop soon because when you have the games and you have the right price (and the 3DS is well below that price range) people will buy your system to play the games.

Ah, well, that's obvious.
But in the first weeks, no one expects IEGo to do such as the 3, I think.
It could have a trend much more similar to the second, which had serious legs and did over a million copies.

Laguna

Banned
Takao said:
SCEJ is useless in terms of acquiring studios, so they wouldn't do it. I fully expect Level-5 will make some other franchise that makes up for the poor performance of Ni No Kuni PS3, and the potential bad performance for Inazuma Go. I also expect them to reuse the assets made in those games in as many games as possible. I expect them to make some Ni No Kuni game for Vita, and Wii U from harvesting content from PS3, and I expect Inazuma Go 2 next year even if this one suffers huge declines.

People are just joking, Level5 won´t go anyway in the near future even with this probably big financial flop ninokuni PS3 but let´s wait a bit to see if it really will be that big of a flop or not, before running to conclusions. Even if it could be a big flop it won`t tear them down since they celebrated some big successes in the recent past creating multi-millionselling franchises and a solid financial-chest.

They´ll probably just look at their performance on different plattforms and go on. Obviously a self published exclusive on PS3 isn´t that likely anymore after disappointing sales with Sony published Whight Knight Chronicles 1 + 2 and self-published Ninokuni.

So DS, and PS2?

I hate to break it to you ...

What games did they publish on PS2? ;)
Most likely they´ll just concentrate on DSs successor since that´s what their upcoming lineup suggests anyway and a dying PSP and flopping games on PS3 most likely won´t change that.

Takao said:
The thing is, Inazuma was already in decline on DS, and I suspect the barrage of annual sequels will spell the end.
Seems odd that it takes L5 so long to make new games but once they do they pump out sequels like crazy, for the DS anyway.

Loonz

Chris1964 said:
This record had exactly 0.001% possibilitty to happen.

I haven't wrote a figure :whistles:.

Yeah, I now look at the numbers on the left side of the graph, but TOO LATE. Now I feel stupid :p. Anyway, putting aside the supposed "record", it's hard to deny that the 3DS would have had a better year, don't you think?.

Takao

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
Seems odd that it takes L5 so long to make new games but once they do they pump out sequels like crazy, for the DS anyway.

I assume they reuse assets like no tomorrow, and then try to milk every last drop too:

Layton
Layton 2
Layton 3
Layton 4

Inazuma Eleven
Inazuma Eleven 2
Inazuma Eleven 3
Inazuma Eleven 3: The Ogre

LBX
LBX Boost

shares engine with

Gundam AGE

Takao

Banned
I should mention that I'm just kidding about the Level-5 doom. I do suspect Inazuma will be in the grave in a few years, but like Jay-Z I suspect they'll be on to the next one by then.

test_account

XP-39C²
Laguna said:
What games did they publish on PS2? ;)
Most likely they´ll just concentrate on DSs successor since that´s what their upcoming lineup suggests anyway and a dying PSP and flopping games on PS3 most likely won´t change that.
I'm pretty sure that they will release Vita games as well. If they dont try, then they will never know if something will succeed or not.

EDIT: I fixed a typo.

test_account said:
I'm pretty sure that they will release Vita games as well. If they dont try, then they will never know if something will success or not.
There's time travellers which'll be multi platform on 3ds, psp and vita

test_account

XP-39C²
frankie_baby said:
There's time travellers which'll be multi platform on 3ds, psp and vita
So handheld multiplatform games have a already begun? Nice :) I hope that we see more of this. It shall be interesting to see which platform that gets the most sales i think.

test_account said:
So handheld multiplatform games have a already begun? Nice :) I hope that we see more of this. It shall be interesting to see which platform that gets the most sales i think.
I'd be very surprised if the biggest selling version isn't the psp one

Truth101

Banned
frankie_baby said:
I'd be very surprised if the biggest selling version isn't the psp one

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The PSP version will most likely not be marketed as much as the 3DS version, and maybe the Vita depending on how well it is selling by then. So, far the 3DS seems to be the lead platform and all the promotional materials are for the 3DS version.

saichi

Takao said:

But lower sales on a new system is expected though and user base argument is still valid. (see MH3rd G)

Layton 5 on 3DS continued the decline for Layton series (and a very sharp one). However, I think Layton 6 should do better when it's released later in 3DS life cycle. Same thing could happen to Inazuma 11.

Mpl90 said:
Ah, well, that's obvious.
But in the first weeks, no one expects IEGo to do such as the 3, I think.
It could have a trend much more similar to the second, which had serious legs and did over a million copies.

not holding my breath for this. Would take a miracle to make Inazuma 11 into a million seller again.

Laguna

Banned
test_account said:
I'm pretty sure that they will release Vita games as well. If they dont try, then they will never know if something will succeed or not.

EDIT: I fixed a typo.

I didn´t say they won´t support any other plattform but looking at their lineup they obviously are concentrating their resources on 3DS right now, while for Vita we only know about a PSP/3DS port so far.

Top Bottom