• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would avoid petitions. 9 times out of 10 the numbers they generate look fairly lame and undercut the appearance of the message's popularity.

baekshi

Banned
I really don't think it's necessary to take it to the next step.

I'd probably disappear at that point - verging into having our voices heard to being whiny little bitches.

Just restart the effort one week in the run up to the E3 conference with a theme for our tweets of the day like I outlined this morning and we'll have have a fun, positive message to send along.
I agree

We should wait until E3

I would avoid petitions. 9 times out of 10 the numbers they generate looks fairly lame and undercut the appearance of the message's popularity.

This here. A failed petition wouldn't be beneficail to this campaign by looking from our current situation and what we have achieved so far.

Stuart444

We can't control what other people do, best we can do is just be patient and wait til E3.

It's not that long either, 12 days. Feel free to send a few messages on a week on Saturday (couple of days before E3) to remind them how we feel and leave it at that.

I have a feeling whatever their plan is, it's locked in next week as they need to have most of their things (ie answers to possible interview questions like ones about this campaign/used game DRM) locked in before E3. So there isn't much point except a few reminder tweets a few days before E3.

Just my thoughts on that.

would MS steal a bit of E3 thunder from Sony if they went on stage (since their conference is first) and said something like "we been listening to our fans, no drm!". They could do it after their conference too seeing as how the Playstation one is much later in the day.

I made a petition using gofreak's original open letter. I don't see much need to expand upon that, to be honest. He summed it up pretty perfectly.

The question is do we start pressing this petition now, or do we wait? Petitions are things that actually benefit from having more time to circulate, after all.

This here. A failed petition wouldn't be beneficail to this campaign by looking from our current situation and what we have achieved so far.

Worried about this too. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one of these petitions be successful.

I would avoid petitions. 9 times out of 10 the numbers they generate look fairly lame and undercut the appearance of the message's popularity.

This is exactly why I never made one and put it in the OP. I mean if someone wants to do it, by all means... there is no 'leader' here. But my gut feeling is that if you do a petition you need to be certain it's going to get an impressive amount of signatures because a failed petition is just proof to them that there aren't enough of us.

Also... Im back. Im trying to rework the OP but we have so many freaking media mentions that the character count is over 12000 characters too many. So I am going to spend the next 10-60 minutes (depending on how focused I can stay with all of these other things coming in and out) working on it. If you have some sort of attatchment to the crazy jumbled info dump the OP is curentty (which i kinda do, i find it impressive) make sure you take a screenshot now because my plan is to go much, much cleaner and offload links to things on the website. So instead of listing all the media here the OP will link to the media page on the website. That itself saves me about 15000 characters.

I have some banners a gaffer made so it's going to get pretty as well.

Worried about this too. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one of these petitions be successful.

They never are. If we wanted to go down the petition route it needed to be done with the initial Twitter salvo when people were really fired up about it. It's too late for a petition, all it will do is allow publishers to look at it and say "well there's only a couple of thousand malcontents".

It is not the route we need to take.

MogCakes

would MS steal a bit of E3 thunder from Sony if they went on stage (since their conference is first) and said something like "we been listening to our fans, no drm!". They could do it after their conference too seeing as how the Playstation one is much later in the day.
Probably. But that would be a huge victory either way - we don't want DRM on either system. Ideally, both of them will confirm that there's no DRM on the Xbox One/PS4.

So I got an interesting message from the same person as earlier from the third party publisher. He has this information third hand and I'll paraphrase to save time.

Says Sony have never had any used game or online controls. EA's special relationship with MS is a result of this stance from Sony. However all EA games will be on PS4 anyway, but EA and MS are going to step up marketing for Xbone and give (timed?) exclusive DLC/content. His conjecture is that Sony didn't want to spell out their policy until E3 to capitalise on any backlash at MS.

Again, this is third hand information, but he is adamant that Sony never approached his employer with any kind of used game lock proposition and his friends at other publishers say the same.

Kane1345

I made a petition using gofreak's original open letter. I don't see much need to expand upon that, to be honest. He summed it up pretty perfectly.

The question is do we start pressing this petition now, or do we wait? Petitions are things that actually benefit from having more time to circulate, after all.

I dont think petition is the right way to go personally. They've never been successful and have bad stigma attached to them

Carl

So I got an interesting message from the same person as earlier from the third party publisher. He has this information third hand and I'll paraphrase to save time.

Says Sony have never had any used game or online controls. EA's special relationship with MS is a result of this stance from Sony. However all EA games will be on PS4 anyway, but EA and MS are going to step up marketing for Xbone and give (timed?) exclusive DLC/content. His conjecture is that Sony didn't want to spell out their policy until E3 to capitalise on any backlash at MS.

Again, this is third hand information, but he is adamant that Sony never approached his employer with any kind of used game lock proposition and his friends at other publishers say the same.
To be honest, that was kind of what i assumed from the whole thing.

DC1

YOSH!

Woffls

Feel bad for not contributing properly the last couple of days :( updated my avatar, will try and engage some people on Twitter tomorrow instead of working. Thanks for all your work so far, everyone.

Petitions are antiquated. We have a message, and we have numbers supporting it, so I don't see what role a petition will play. Twitter is where it's at, and most of these companies will probably already be making use of the Twitter analytics API.

Salaadin

I dont even know if a phase 2 is even necessary or what it could even be.
I mean, the message is out and if they dont know what we are asking for by now, theyre idiots.

Im not saying to stop tweeting or anything, though. Keep that going. And it probably is a good idea to keep that going until E3...maybe even attempt a boost in the days leading up to the conferences.

Interesting if true. I know you know this already but Id take all this with a grain of salt.

Yawnier

Banned

Really good news if true.

So wait, if that's true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't as you feel confident enough to share, this entire campaign has been misdirected/focused on the wrong company from the very start?

360 has full installs without DRM. Sony would be wise to allow for that on the PS4, it's awesome.

yeah, installs with disc check. I'm fine with that. MS's Xbone system gets it wrong by not needing to disc check but therefore it requires a complicated online handshake thing

MogCakes

Everything so far is pointing to good news.

Very interesting!

Carl

So wait, if that's true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't as you feel confident enough to share, this entire campaign has been misdirected/focused on the wrong company from the very start?

Does it matter? The whole idea was to make sure it didn't happen. If it doesn't happen, i don't really care whether they had ever had any intention of doing it.

This lines up with what i've been told as well. And lines up with the thing I kinda accidentally leaked that started this thing in the first place..... Sony is undecided.

Just be forwarned Im reposting the current OP after my 60 second cool down so it can live on in infamy on page 100something (wherever the heck we are).

Interesting if true. I know you know this already but Id take all this with a grain of salt.

What's interesting is that what he says doesn't rule out used game locking from Sony on a per-publisher/title basis. So he may be sure that his employer never got approached by Sony with used game lockouts, but he doesn't work for EA and didn't specify if any of his mates did either.

There is still the possibility that Sony approached EA with some system.

Im not saying to stop tweeting or anything, though. Keep that going. And it probably is a good idea to keep that going until E3...maybe even attempt a boost in the days leading up to the conferences.

That's really all I mean. "Second wave" of pushing, maybe leverage some of the publicity we've gotten so far to get some more press coverage and keep the heat on Sony hard up until E3.

ikj9psepz218u1mpzp.gif

Relevant. =)

MogCakes

The whole thing was started as a pre-emptive because it was thought (from famousmortimer's sources) that Sony was wavering on their decision, so no, it was not the wrong company.

No. Because there is nothing to protest of EA. EA doesn't make the decision, EA lobbies for it.

And we are lobbying also. Sony is the one who decides one way or the other and is who the focus should be on.

kHmf66r.png

www.ps4nodrm.com

http://ps4nodrm.tumblr.com

This is spreading out of the Bonus Round/Doritos pope/keighley heard about sony DRM posts.

The gist of it is that Sony is listening to the backlash that Microsoft is getting and they are basing decisions off of this. I would assume MS is also, but I don't know that for sure. But I can say, for sure, that the past week's PR nightmare for MS has not been lost on Sony and they, in fact, do have a used game 'solution' working and have been going back and forth for months on whether to use it. This past week is pushing them strongly into "Yeah, let's not use that."

Do you want to give them an extra push? It can't hurt. I've been told by lower level people in the company that tweeting to yosp specifically is quite effective as he likes to gauge what people are thinking. Will a couple hundred posts from neogaf change the entire industry? No. Can it help give a little more momentum to something sony seems to be leaning towards already? I would think so.

So, if you care....

Here's the entire list of sony folks I know of that either are in on the decisions or have the ears of people who are in on the decisions that are on twitter.

My biggest piece of advice is be respectful. They aren't likely to finish a tweet in all caps threatening them.

Shuhei Yoshida (president of worldwide studios) @yosp (easily the highest level person on twitter and quite accessible)

John Koller (head of hardware marketing) @jpkoller (dude has like 150 followers - heh)

Guy Longworth (senior vice president PlayStation Brand Marketing) @luckylongworth

Scott Rohde (PlayStation Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America) @rohdescott

****NEW*** Adam Boyes (Publisher and developer relations at Sony) @amboyes
****NEW*** Shahid Kamal Ahmad (third party relations, europe) @shahidkamal
****New*** Nick Accordino (SCEA ISD A. Producer) @nikoro
****Newer*** Phil Rosenberg (SCEA - reports directly to Tretton, thanks GoFreak) @philrosenberg <--- Very few followers, show him some love.

#PS4NoDRM #PS4USEDGAMES  are the hashtags being used.  

Also couldn't hurt to let the ex-journos that work there like @nsuttner and @shanewatch and @morganharo and @sidshuman know what you are thinking. But again, remember, respectful. I would assume any of these guys are used to getting flamed and just instantly disregard tweets that seem pissed off.

****NEW****** MICROSOFT TWITTER ACCOUNTS!
I've compiled a list of twitter accounts of people in charge at Microsoft, and people who could at least maybe have some kind of impact on this. Use the hashtags #XboxOneUSEDGAMES #XboxOneNoDRM

Phil Spencer, the head of Microsoft Studios

https://twitter.com/XboxP3

Aaron Greenberg, chief of staff for IEB

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg

Phil Harrison, man in charge of MS Europe

https://twitter.com/MrPhilHarrison

Mike Ybarra, manager of games developed by external studios published by MS

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik

Yusuf Mehdi, marketing for Xbox

https://twitter.com/yusuf_i_mehdi

Major Nelson, just because

https://twitter.com/majornelson

Let them know that these policies are not healthy for this industry and hobby so many of us enjoy. We need everyone to be successful for the industry to grow and expand.

Remember, use #XboxOneUSEDGAMES #XboxOneNoDRM
and share your thoughts!

NEW! LET THIRD PARTIES KNOW AS WELL!

Actual humans:

Here's one of Activisions Board of Directors

https://twitter.com/luciangrainge

https://twitter.com/Kristian66
Christian Guillemot
Co-founder of Ubi Soft

New to twitter but found this guy...

@PatrickSderlund

PATRICK SÖDERLUND - EA Vice President.

I checked his followers & tweets he looks legit to me.

@CastlevaniaLOS (Head of UK Studio at Konami, Castlevania LoS series Producer)
@Shinji_Mikami_E (Shinji Mikami, former Resident Evil Producer)
@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN (Hideo Kojima, English)
@Kojima_Hideo (Hideo Kojima, Japanese)
@IGLevine (Ken Levine, Irrational Games Creative Director)
@Yoshi_OnoChin (Yoshinori Ono, Street Fighter Series executive Producer)
@chrissvensson (Christian Svensson, Senior Vice President of strategic planning and business development at Capcom)
@therealcliffyb (Cliff Bleszinski, Gears of War - He seems to want more money for devs)
@Harada_TEKKEN (Game Director/Chief Producer of Tekken)
@PG_kamiya (Hideki Kamiya, Twitter star, sex-symbol, God and Platinum Games badass designer)

Social media stuff... probably a waste of time.
Ubisoft
https://twitter.com/UbisoftUK
https://twitter.com/Ubisoft

EA
https://twitter.com/EASPORTSFIFA
https://twitter.com/EA
https://twitter.com/EASPORTS
https://twitter.com/EA_ActionMan // EA UK Marketing
https://twitter.com/EA_DICE
https://twitter.com/CriterionGames

Activision
https://twitter.com/Activision
https://twitter.com/OneOfSwords // Activision Community manager
https://twitter.com/beachheadstudio

A few twitters for the third party side of things. Will be most likely run by a PR team though. Not the most familiar with twitter's search so I don't know how to hunt down the more specific people.

Included what I could, however I'm sure someone would be able to do a much better job than me. Also I didn't want to include too many so that people would just avoid a block of links.

Reddit Upvote for the love of sagan!

Gamefaqs post.

Also let them know that you expect#PS4FreeOnline and #PS4NoRegionLock like last gen as well, if those things matter to you. I have no idea if minds are made up on that or not but it can't hurt to try.

If any lurkers or members of the press or Sony's goons hired to break my kneecaps want to contact me: @ForYourPeteDodd or PM me here.

Reaction from Sony:
I would caution not to expect too much. They aren't going to reply to a tweet with their used game philosophy. Just them taking notice publically of the movement is all we can reasonably hope for at this juncture.

Scott Rohde &#8207;@RohdeScott 22s
I love passionate #PlayStation Fans!!

https://twitter.com/RohdeScott/status/338816945975619584

Boom... another one atleast acknowledges that his twitter feed is getting hit :)

HAt3lJA.png

Don't know if it's been posted already but Shahid talked about it:

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/status/338964752652967936

Shahid: I know my colleagues might not appreciate me saying this, but I’ve rather enjoyed being Twitter bombed by passionate fans recently.

he's in developer relations not PR but Adam Boyes is paying attention too
https://twitter.com/amboyes/status/338860972355772416

Boynes: @VinayakNeliath I read the GAF daily ;)

s80VlE9.png

He's a producer with SCEA ISD

Media mentions:

And Jim Sterling joined the cause :)
3SWfHI9.jpg

Thanks Jim! :)

And that's because there were citing an article on Gematsu written by fellow gaffer .

Just Push Start joins the fray.

Germany!

German Eurogamer.de has made an article about it: http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/20...nd-fuer-gebrauchtspiele-auf-der-playstation-4

And a tweet from them:
eurogamzmks0.png

France!

dosh said:
Gameblog, one of the big french gaming sites, has mentionned #ps4nodrm and Neogaf this morning.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/35839-occasion-xbox-one-ps4-les-joueurs-s-organisent-sur-twitter

Required Reading:

GAF's Gofreak very expertly lays down exactly why we care and deflates some of the easy PR answers that may be coming our way.

Know your twitter-fu.

Hey guys, nice one. I've done a few ad campaigns focused on twitter and trending topics, and remember a few things: (that probably all of you know already)

It shouldn't be about letting Sony know - trust me, they know already - it should be about letting Sony know that everyone is talking about it. Don't just focus on the high ranking Sony execs. Focus on everyone that is into gaming. If we create a true trending topic here, we have won.

Always try to rewrite the tweets, don't just copy or retweet what other people say, that way they're ranked better by Twitters algorithms. To create a trending topic - it's all about conversation, rather than mentions. Also try to involve your followers on Twitter, or reply to what other people you are following are saying. Get in there.

Don't _only_ write tweets starting with an @ sign - as these will only be seen by your followers who also follow the people you are @'ing. But if you want to write to a lot of people, go ahead, it will make your followers feel less spammed by the whole issue. But if you do want to let your friends know who you're sending an @ message to - add a . before the @. This way everyone will see it.

well somebody started a facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/ps4nodrm

No idea if this site is legit but here's some unofficial stats for #PS4NoDRM

capture0ru9g.png

Twitter is loving (fake) kaz's response.

t.gif7dudc.gif

Realtime.

Props to Minions for pushing me on the hashtag.

www.ps4nodrm.com

More coming tomorrow.

Sunhi Legend is still THE legend.

ikj9psepz218u1mpzp.gif

Salaadin

To be honest, that was kind of what i assumed from the whole thing.

When EA pranced out there and made a big song and dance out of everything, I assumed that there was some kind of deal in place. A deal as a result of this DRM thing makes sense.
I seem to remember crazy buttocks claiming that Respawns new game will also be XBO exclusive as well.

That said, zomgbbqftws post above contradicts some of the other things we heard. Keighley and famousmortimer both claimed that something either was, is, or planned to be put in place. There was also talk that Sony was still internally debating the whole thing as of last week.

So how can anonymous 3rd party publisher guy make a claim like "Sony have never had any used game or online controls" when we know (if we believe other sources) that they do...or did. You know what I mean?

Unless he means "Sony never told my employer about any used game or online controls", which would make sense. If they were undecided, I doubt theyd go around asking pubs about it.

Does it matter? The whole idea was to make sure it didn't happen. If it doesn't happen, i don't really care whether they had ever had any intention of doing it.

It kinda does. It was a waste of time/resources/effort that could have been focused on MS, who, you know, actually announced anti used DRM.

What's interesting is that what he says doesn't rule out used game locking from Sony on a per-publisher/title basis. So he may be sure that his employer never got approached by Sony with used game lockouts, but he doesn't work for EA and didn't specify if any of his mates did either.

I don't think MS would have the 'strategic partnership' with EA if that was the case though.

That would kind of explain their absence from the unveil event and going to great length to promote FIFA on the 360.

This makes me wonder if retailers like GameStop will give Sony more shelf space because they can have higher margins...

If true it just shows that PS4 is the way to go next gen.

If this is true, the Sony execs must LOVE this twitter movement you guys all started.

That sounds great

No one understands Danish. Not even the Danish ;)

Obligatory.

Very true! I also loved that show

Salaadin

The overall message of "DRM sucks, we dont want it" is out there, though. The way this thing spread, its hard for Sony, MS, or any pubs to ignore. Its really up to them to act now.

This makes sense too.

E3 is going to be so interesting.

When EA pranced out there and made a big song and dance out of everything, I assumed that there was some kind of deal in place. A deal as a result of this DRM thing makes sense.
I seem to remember crazy buttocks claiming that Respawns new game will also be XBO exclusive as well.

That said, zomgbbqftws post above contradicts some of the other things we heard. Keighley and famousmortimer both claimed that something either was, is, or planned to be put in place. There was also talk that Sony was still internally debating the whole thing as of last week.

So how can anonymous 3rd party publisher guy make a claim like "Sony have never had any used game or online controls" when we know (if we believe other sources) that they do...or did. You know what I mean?

Unless he means "Sony never told my employer about any used game or online controls", which would make sense. If they were undecided, I doubt theyd go around asking pubs about it.

The way I see it is that Sony haven't had a used game locking system in place ever, but after seeing the EA/MS relationship were looking at putting one in, then saw the backlash and had second thoughts. That would fit.

Again, he works for a third party publisher, so his information is third hand and we should take it with a grain of salt. He even told me this in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom