• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got an interesting message from the same person as earlier from the third party publisher. He has this information third hand and I'll paraphrase to save time.

Says Sony have never had any used game or online controls. EA's special relationship with MS is a result of this stance from Sony. However all EA games will be on PS4 anyway, but EA and MS are going to step up marketing for Xbone and give (timed?) exclusive DLC/content. His conjecture is that Sony didn't want to spell out their policy until E3 to capitalise on any backlash at MS.

Again, this is third hand information, but he is adamant that Sony never approached his employer with any kind of used game lock proposition and his friends at other publishers say the same.

Wow, this could be huge if true. I still really hope Sony doesn't roll on their fans. I'm trying to tweet as much as I can.

Corto

It kinda does. It was a waste of time/resources/effort that could have been focused on MS, who, you know, actually announced anti used DRM.

It wasn't a waste of time/resources/effort because Microsoft is also watching this. You can be sure of that. This movement though directed to Sony primarily, shows that gamers will reward a more open user-friendly business relationship over a limited DRM'ed one.

Raist

Banned
No. I've been clear in my posts. The selective fighting for consumer rights is what annoys. As I also stated from my first post in here, you don't focus on the company that doesn't have an announced plan, you focus on the one that does.

If MS is able to gain a foothold with their anti used DRM garbage, it will eventually reach the PS4. The idea behind a movement like this is surely to focus on everyone attempting to erode consumer rights, not just those who might be willing to listen.

Fun fact. They are all willing to listen if the backlash/outcry is loud and strong enough.

I'm curious, do you also go about and tell people who try to raise awareness or funds for problem X that they're being selfish because they don't also do it for Y and Z?

No one prevented you or anyone to do exactly the same thing targetted at MS.

I think if this campaign makes Sony look like the good guy who listens and Microsoft as the bad guy who doesn't then it could be exactly the fuel we need to try and change Microsofts stance in all this.

Exactly. MS doesn't exist in a vacuum. After the overwhelmingly negative reception of their console reveal a gigantic grassroots campaign is formed to convince their #1 competitor to do the exact opposite of what they announced. You think they don't see that?

What if Microsoft sees Apple and Google as their #1 and #2 competitors and doesn't see Sony as a competitor?

I think if this campaign makes Sony look like the good guy who listens and Microsoft as the bad guy who doesn't then it could be exactly the fuel we need to try and change Microsofts stance in all this.

I find that hard to believe considering they FIRED Adam Orth for his dumbshit comments and STILL went through with it.

artist

Banned
Right. Let's get something straight. Please don't use me or my posts to attack people in this thread.

Firstly, this campaign started out as a plea to Sony not to infest the PS4 with used game DRM on inside information received that they were wavering on the decision. That would naturally attract people looking to buy a PS4 more than any other users on GAF. It's why you see so many names in here that you see in other Sony related threads.

Next, the Xbox dudes decided to have their own stab at it, the thread has ~ 280 posts and is no longer active. If the Xbox buyers couldn't organise or didn't have the belief that what they were doing was going to make a difference then don't blame that on people in this thread.

Finally, your attitude stinks. This thread has been about ensuring Sony make the right moves in relation to DRM, it has been that way from the beginning, again because of the insider tip we received on Monday.

If you want to put the blame on someone's shoulders that Xbox One hasn't had the same attention from a Twitter campaign, you need to look in the mirror. It is Xbox buyers like yourself and others on GAF who failed to organise after the reveal.
gators-graduation-appezuvv.gif

unless majority of people are okay with timed exclusive DLCs as a tradeoff. (from EA at least)

sakipon

It wasn't a waste of time/resources/effort because Microsoft is also watching this. You can be sure of that. This movement though directed to Sony primarily, shows that gamers will reward a more open user-friendly business relationship over a limited DRM'ed one.

Exactly, they have seen the headlines. They realize they need to change things in order to become the crowd favorite again.

Aenima

Im pretty sure MS is aware of they unhappy fans. They even disabled the coments on youtube from they presentation video.

Even if this movement started to target Sony staff, it spread out to third party publishers and MS too. I have been seeing on twitter ppl using xbox hashtags as well.

Corto

So...start a rumor that you're "considering" always online.

Somehow hope that a member of a very popular forum starts a movement.

Said forum member does activate a movement.

Said movement is popular and spreads to the mainstream media.

Have Sony execs comment on said movement and be very vague, but give a vibe of "It'shappening.jpg"

Use said movement for, literally, free PR with zero effort on your end.

Then after all said and done, it turns out you never wanted DRM or block used games.

Good god, MASTERFUL trolling. Some Machiavelli type shit.

Honestly, I don't care if this is part of some convoluted marketing plan devised to create an overwhelming positive wave towards Playstation, because in the end, if the DRM policy for the PS4 is in favor of used games that's really what matters. Consumer rights should not be curtailed. If nothing else, it even raised more attention to the issue which is a very good thing in my opinion.

BadWolf

So I got an interesting message from the same person as earlier from the third party publisher. He has this information third hand and I'll paraphrase to save time.

Says Sony have never had any used game or online controls. EA's special relationship with MS is a result of this stance from Sony. However all EA games will be on PS4 anyway, but EA and MS are going to step up marketing for Xbone and give (timed?) exclusive DLC/content. His conjecture is that Sony didn't want to spell out their policy until E3 to capitalise on any backlash at MS.

Again, this is third hand information, but he is adamant that Sony never approached his employer with any kind of used game lock proposition and his friends at other publishers say the same.

Thanks man.

Looks like they really are just riding the wave of MS negativity and breathing in the free positive PR.

TheLight

Still dont think there needs to be an xbox movement, the sony one works for the entire industry. If Microsoft ignores all of this backlash and pulls a "pshh look at those sony guys" its all on them.

MogCakes

Honestly, I don't care if this is part of some convoluted marketing plan devised to create an overwhelming positive wave towards Playstation
If this was all planned then whoever planned it deserves a frakking medal and tenure for life at Sony. With added benefits.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then Sony will probably sit on this news until E3, and then announce the "good news" there. MS will obviously have some difficult questions to answer at E3, and Sony can come out as being the good guys. That's how I'd play it from here on in if I was them.

-Cwalat-

Still dont think there needs to be an xbox movement, the sony one works for the entire industry. If Microsoft ignores all of this backlash and pulls a "pshh look at those sony guys" its all on them.

That's what I thought when Sony introduced free online play, something PC also had. But Microsoft are stubborn when it comes to making money off of consumers. They have yet to lower the price of or introduce a free online play service.

In the end, the strongest vote is the consumers action. If we buy millions of Xbox Ones, there is no need to do anything about the DRM issue from Microsofts point of view.

So if you don't accept DRM, don't give Microsoft your money.

Right. Finally back home guys. I can finally do some work

Dont forget to post your unique stores to the tumblr. Over 200 people have posted in this thread and yet I have less than 30 unique stories.

Are you guys tweeting the link via twitter?

http://ps4nodrm.tumblr.com/submit

It doesn't have to be a long story, just something heartfelt and something you would use to convince someone to drop an always online drm and enable used games.

As Ive said before, twitter can become white noise after a while. give people something lasting to read and return to to show others.

If this was all planned then whoever planned it deserves a frakking medal and tenure for life at Sony. With added benefits.

Someone needs to photoshop the "We told them the wealth would trickle down" pic with Sony execs and the caption "We told them we'd have DRM and Block Used games!"

MogCakes

Guys, regardless of whether it is true or not, do NOT let up. Until E3, nothing is true, everything is permitted.
I don't think anyone is celebrating just yet. Despite all the good news and nods and winks and being trolled by Yoshida and having Shahid post in GAF and TB getting owned by Boyes, without a direct confirmation that there's no DRM on used games we're still just guessing.

If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt you, then Sony will probably sit on this news until E3, and then announce the "good news" there. MS will obviously have some difficult questions to answer at E3, and Sony can come out as being the good guys. That's how I'd play it from here on in if I was them.

I don't see how they could do that without pissing off the publishers who will implent drm on their own. Coming off looking as the good guys will piss of publishers (probably the big ones) who will have their own authenticating servers.

It's the reason why Yoshida has been so dodgy in the first place. "we personally won't fuck you over, can't speak for anyone else!"

Carl

Honestly, I don't care if this is part of some convoluted marketing plan devised to create an overwhelming positive wave towards Playstation, because in the end, if the DRM policy for the PS4 is in favor of used games that's really what matters. Consumer rights should not be curtailed. If nothing else, it even raised more attention to the issue which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Pretty much. I don't care what happens along the way, what Sony did or did not consider, what they planned, or whatever...All i care is that we get the right end result.

Man, this whole thread (movement) has been amazing.

Its nice to see all us gamers coming together for an important issue such as this. :)

Now, could I please ask someone for the PS4NoDRM banner on my avatar please?

ioOH3t4OO7V6i.png

Right. Finally back home guys. I can finally do some work

Dont forget to post your unique stores to the tumblr. Over 200 people have posted in this thread and yet I have less than 30 unique stories.

Are you guys tweeting the link via twitter?

http://ps4nodrm.tumblr.com/submit

It doesn't have to be a long story, just something heartfelt and something you would use to convince someone to drop an always online drm and enable used games.

As Ive said before, twitter can become white noise after a while. give people something lasting to read and return to to show others.

Thanks, I missed this in the whirlwind of replies. Will submit.

BadWolf

I don't see how they could do that without pissing off the publishers who will implent drm on their own. Coming off looking as the good guys will piss of publishers (probably the big ones) who will have their own authenticating servers.

It's the reason why Yoshida has been so dodgy in the first place. "we personally won't fuck you over, can't speak for anyone else!"

At the end of the day they are a Japanese company and this anti-second hand bullshit simply won't fly over there.

Also have to remember that the new Xbox would be the only one doing this so MS would be the odd ones out. The PS4, WiiU, Vita and 3DS would all continue to function as the previous gens.

Shinta

Banned
Pretty much. I don't care what happens along the way, what Sony did or did not consider, what they planned, or whatever...All i care is that we get the right end result.

All that matters is that two stood against many ... THAT's what's important. Even you, Crom, will not know if we were good men or bad, how we lived and how we died ....

So grant me my wish. Grant me no DRM!!!!!

Besides, if there's anything that could scare off Microsoft of this junk, is the potential for a free PR goldmine for Sony. Competition at work.

TheLight

You guys don't think Sony will pussy out and pull some shit like saying "we will leave it up to the publishers"?
That is kind of the same as saying we will have no DRM isnt it? Sony might not have it on their console like Microsoft, but I doubt they can stop publishers.

FlyFaster

Right. Let's get something straight. Please don't use me or my posts to attack people in this thread.

Firstly, this campaign started out as a plea to Sony not to infest the PS4 with used game DRM on inside information received that they were wavering on the decision. That would naturally attract people looking to buy a PS4 more than any other users on GAF. It's why you see so many names in here that you see in other Sony related threads.

Next, the Xbox dudes decided to have their own stab at it, the thread has ~ 280 posts and is no longer active. If the Xbox buyers couldn't organise or didn't have the belief that what they were doing was going to make a difference then don't blame that on people in this thread.

Finally, your attitude stinks. This thread has been about ensuring Sony make the right moves in relation to DRM, it has been that way from the beginning, again because of the insider tip we received on Monday.

If you want to put the blame on someone's shoulders that Xbox One hasn't had the same attention from a Twitter campaign, you need to look in the mirror. It is Xbox buyers like yourself and others on GAF who failed to organise after the reveal.

Agreed. The xboners didn't organize, didn't cry out, didn't do anything. Now they are jealous that PS fans started a movement and is getting attention from various sites and Sony themselves. They had the ball in their court and missed it.

anyway,
I've stopped by the PS4NoDRM website. Very nice work man. I tweeted out the letter you guys provided and I've been sending out images of the "flag" as I like to call it. (the pic of the controller with arrows) It's a great image.

Can you put that on the site so we can auto tweet the picture as well?

That is kind of the same as saying we will have no DRM isnt it? Sony might not have it on their console like Microsoft, but I doubt they can stop publishers.

Sure, they absolutely could. It's their platform at the end of the day and they have to give the green light to every piece of software that's released for it. It's just incredibly unlikely they will do so if Activision says "Fine, CoD is now Xbone exclusive then."

The question is, would Activision do that? Would Sony have the balls to stand up to them in the first place? Those are the million dollar questions. Which is why we campaign. Because that's all we can do.

I seriously don't doubt this at all. I said it in another thread that if Sony doesn't weigh the console down with heavy DRM like MS, what the fuck do people seriously think EA, Activision, etc. are going to do? Not release their high selling games that sold millions on the PS3, as they did the 360, on the PS4 and piss away a massive amount of money because they are butthurt on not making more profit on used game sales? HA! I fully believe the extra content would be on the Xbone versions of the games, but that's a small price to pay if it means doing the right thing with the DRM situation, think anyone would agree with that.

Cineme Blend just did this article an hour ago.

http://m.cinemablend.com/games/Sony-President-Responds-PS4-Twitter-Movement-NeoGaf-Ramps-Up-Remonstration-56197.html

Found this quote pretty funny.
I'm easily amused.
On the flipside of the coin, NeoGaf has gone and turned into the forum board version of the Road Warrior, trampling down viral marketers, Xbox fanboys and anti-consumer trolls like they were thong-wearing desert raiders...deserving nothing short of a textual beatdown, just like the Interceptor unleashing some mean justice on some poor-arse V6 scrapheaps on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom