• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiefer Sutherland is the new Snake

IMACOMPUTA

Man, what planet is this thread on? If you really think that Sutherland is replacing Hayter you must not know MG/Kojima very well.

All it said was that Sutherland will be playing "Snake". There are many "snake"s. Hell even Raiden was called snake in mgs2.
The whole thing is bizarre as hell. Since when would Kojima put out a video like this? And have it be so vague? And then completely shit on David Hayter? There's absolutely no way. We're being taken for a ride.

Seeing everyone say they're boycotting the game -- really? This thread is going to be hilarious when we find out that they're both in the game.

GET WITH IT, GAF.

I'm sure I'll probably be in the OT, doesn't mean I'll buy the game.

The only way that I will buy this game is if Hayter is in it, and it has to be more than a Cameo. If he is still voicing Solid Snake like some people think and he's actually in a substantial amount of the game then I might buy it. Otherwise I'll just Youtube his part and be done with the Series for good.

The reason I'm dismissing it is because of the way Hayter was treated throughout this whole thing. Not even a phone call to tell him they weren't going to use him. After 15 years, how can they just replacing him without even contacting him.
That's why I will not buy it. Fuck Kojima! There's no way I'm wasting my money supporting his bullshit.

So let me guess this straight, you're not going to play the game because you feel the company didn't tell him he wasn't gonna be in MGS5 nice enough? You must either be a voice actor yourself, or a close friend of David Hayter.

Izick

As much as I prefer Sutherland, that "friend of mine used to be snake" comment being left in is...really weird and making me second guess some of this stuff. That seems like the type of thing you edit out.

Yeah, that was another really off-color, too strange to be included thing that is making me second guess this stuff.

Vally

Somebody PhotoShop a Keifer Snake.

I made this one... changed it a bit from the one in my avatar since I thought it would be better with a little more beard

ibqvCqXRc4kkgm.jpg

Not everyone is weak.

at the end of the day its a 60 dollar game.

If you can't handle not buying that do not assume others can

I am buying it because I like MGS as a whole, but if the guy says he isn't. there is no reason to not believe him.

I wish there was a "friend" list the way there's an ignore list on NeoGAF. I'd friend you so hard, Village. Not only because you and I seem to think a lot alike regarding Nintendo games but because even when I don't agree with you I always admire you for your good form. You're a nice guy (girl?), and seeing the way so many people in this thread conduct themselves whenever there is a vocal dissenter among them (Valnen), I'd say there's not many of those around here.

Man, what planet is this thread on? If you really think that Sutherland is replacing Hayter you must not know MG/Kojima very well.

All it said was that Sutherland will be playing "Snake". There are many "snake"s. Hell even Raiden was called snake in mgs2.
The whole thing is bizarre as hell. Since when would Kojima put out a video like this? And have it be so vague? And then completely shit on David Hayter? There's absolutely no way. We're being taken for a ride.

Seeing everyone say they're boycotting the game -- really? This thread is going to be hilarious when we find out that they're both in the game.

GET WITH IT, GAF.

Absolutely 100% this.

Actually, now that I think about it, did any part of that video show Sutherland's voice actually coming out of Big Boss' mouth, or has any? As I recall, they only showed some mocap clips.

RK9039

Actually, now that I think about it, did any part of that video show Sutherland's voice actually coming out of Big Boss' mouth, or has any? As I recall, they only showed some mocap clips.

They haven't shown anything directly. The only video of his voice in the actual game is from the GDC gameplay demo and people have suggested that he voiced both Big Boss and Ishmael in that sequence.

Falcs

Banned

GET WITH IT, GAF.
There's trolling, and then there's outright lying. I doubt Kojima is straight up lying to all of us. I think it's pretty clear that as the MAIN Snake (whether that's Big Boss, Solid, whoever) and the MAIN protagonist of the game, who we will be playing as is Sutherland. I'm done hanging onto hopeless wishes. Hayter is out.

So let me guess this straight, you're not going to play the game because you feel the company didn't tell him he wasn't gonna be in MGS5 nice enough? You must either be a voice actor yourself, or a close friend of David Hayter.
I have been a long time, HUGE fan of both Metal Gear Solid and David Hayter. The way all of this was handled was just full of complete disrespect for David. After starring as the voice of the main character of Kojima's most successful franchise for around FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS, you don't think David should have earned enough respect to at the very least have been told first that he wasn't going to be re-hired for his iconic role again? Instead he has to find out at the same time as all his fans. That's fucking bullshit!!
Having shown such a complete lack of respect to David Hayter, Kojima has also done the same to Hayter's fans, including myself.
So I WILL NOT buy MGS5 or any of his games ever again. I still love all the original Metal Gear games that I already have. But as of now, Metal Gear Solid is dead to me and I will never again spend another cent supporting Kojima.
The only thing that will change my mind on this is if we actually are being trolled and David is still in it. But I seriously doubt that.

B.K.

It's kind of ironic that Keifer Sutherland is voice Big Boss when he basically played a live action Solid Snake on 24 for eight years.

DXPett1

The following takes place between Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5.

1st post nai...oh, well...close enough

edit: Watched the video, makes sense. Considering they are capturing the actor's movements and face rather than just recording a voice and putting it with a digital actor it makes perfect sense to go with a seasoned actor and not a voice actor/director type

Chinner

Banned
David Hayter hasn't been great since MGS1, and he hasn't been decent since MGS2. Although he is the comfortable norm for most MGS fans, his voice acting for the last few sequels has awful, so I am pretty happy with this result.

Ideally Kojima should have never let Hayter have the keys to Big Boss, and casted a different voice actor instead. Keep him exclusively for Solid.

Vodh

It has to be a masterpiece troll. Has to be... If it is, it's fucking glorious - if not, it's a damn shame (and if it's not a troll, I wonder what happened to make Hayter so openly salty about things).

gotoadgo

I'm a bit more excited by the fact the Kojima looks happy and enthusiastic about the game which is in stark contrast to how he felt about 4. It gives me hope that despite the voice thing being a little jarring at first, the game itself will be fantastic.

Jubern

Yeah, that definitely makes me rethink my theory. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if they're trying to keep the same Snake for the Japanese version. Then again, if Kojima wants this to be "on a higher level" as he suggests, wouldn't the Japanese VO be replaced by some other talent as well?

No, because in Japan voice actors are somehow more important than in the US and some are well known celebrities. It's not necessarily mainstream, but bigger than for US. And in that respect, Metal Gear Solid already has some heavy all-star cast here in Japan (Snake, Otacon and Naomi/Chico/Sunny actors are respected veterans, Kaz is kinda known and popular, Paz is a big-time singer...)

As a counter-example, there was some uproar when they dubbed The Avengers here. They decided to replace all the usual voice actors by well-known talents (from television shows, dramas, movies) and people gave them shit for that. Same for Layton vs Ace Attorney, I remember quite a few people being disappointed by the performance of Phoenix's actor who, incidentally, was just the movie's actor doing voiceover. And they replaced him with a "real" voice actor for Ace Attorney 5.

Izick

There's no way that this isn't something.

Kojima to pull a MGS 2 and just use Hayter's voice in the actual game, while saying Sutherland is the voice up until then?

No, because in Japan voice actors are somehow more important than in the US and some are well known celebrities. It's not necessarily mainstream, but bigger than for US. And in that respect, Metal Gear Solid already has some heavy all-star cast here in Japan (Snake, Otacon and Naomi/Chico/Sunny actors are respected veterans, Kaz is kinda known and popular, Paz is a big-time singer...)

As a counter-example, there was some uproar when they dubbed The Avengers here. They decided to replace all the usual voice actors by well-known talents (from television shows, dramas, movies) and people gave them shit for that. Same for Layton vs Ace Attorney, I remember quite a few people being disappointed by the performance of Phoenix's actor who, incidentally, was just the movie's actor doing voiceover. And they replaced him with a "real" voice actor for Ace Attorney 5.

Interesting. Thank you for the insight! It's strange that Kojima wouldn't have the same idea about the English VO, but who knows. Either way, I respect his vision.

Chinner

Banned
If this is one massive troll and David Hayter is in fact in, then I'll be extremely disappointed. Think I'd rather have Kojima voicing Snake.

Izick

This is great. Kojima gets to troll fans and Hayter still gets in. Best of both worlds by me. It kind of feels like the opposite of MGS2, now that I think about it. If this does come to fruition, I wonder how or if this stuff will fit into the game. The whole idea of swapping Raiden for Snake was a huge part of the narrative and more importantly the underlying themes and subtext of the game.

Either way, I'm hoping there's more to this than what we know so far.

Falcs

Banned
How do you guys still think this could be a troll? Even if Hayter is in it, he'll probably just be a cameo.

I don't think Kojima would go the MGS2 route a second time. His games tend to speak for themselves without the need of petty tricks.

Guess Who

Banned
All the desperate rationalization for why this is all a big Kojima troll and Hayter is actually still Snake is getting kind of sad.

How do you guys still think this could be a troll? Even if Hayter is in it, he'll probably just be a cameo.

They've been building up this theory for months, it's not easy to let go.
Apparently 'It's Kojima, therefore my dreams are reality' is some kind of logical argument around these parts.

It's not a troll. If anything, it's Hayter being bitter and trying to entertain himself with the absurdity of the situation.

Hayter is not going to be in the game. This is silly that people are even entertaining the thought that Sutherland is being used as a smokescreen for Hayter still being in the game. The guy is not some homeless hobo they picked up off the road. He's expensive. They wouldn't be paying him to do PR appearances for a game he isn't even in.

That being said, Hayter secretly being in the game as Snake is literally the only thing that would get me to buy it. Talk about your irony.

Izick

I don't think Kojima would go the MGS2 route a second time. His games tend to speak for themselves without the need of petty tricks.

If you think him switching Raiden for Snake in MGS2 was "just a petty trick," then you're sorely mistaken.

All the desperate rationalization for why this is all a big Kojima troll and Hayter is actually still Snake is getting kind of sad.

The dude changed his profile picture to Sutherland. I think that gives people a little slack to "get nuts."

kairu

I am a massive MGS fan. Hell, I even have a big blogpost that shows you what you need to do to cosplay as Naked Snake. I've always liked Hayter's voice, but as time goes on and his supporting (being made up of of practicing voice actors) keeps improving, while his performance doesnt really get better (and gets more hammy over time) I feel like Hayter has been outpaced.

I am sad that Hayter is gone, but think overall it's probably a positive for the series.

The dude changed his profile picture to Sutherland. I think that gives people a little slack to "get nuts."

He changed his picture to Sutherland as a joke about the fact he's been replaced. I don't see why that's giving people reason to believe it's a Kojima troll. He's openly saying he's not in the game at all.

Falcs

Banned
It's not a troll. If anything, it's Hayter being bitter and trying to entertain himself with the absurdity of the situation.

Hayter is not going to be in the game. This is silly that people are even entertaining the thought that Sutherland is being used as a smokescreen for Hayter still being in the game. The guy is not some homeless hobo they picked up off the road. He's expensive. They wouldn't be paying him to do PR appearances for a game he isn't even in.

That being said, Hayter secretly being in the game as Snake is literally the only thing that would get me to buy it. Talk about your irony.
Couldn't have said it better myself. All of it. 100% agree with every word in this post.

Kojima definitely has to have an angle on this, though to be honest I'm fine with any of the outcomes I can envision.

1. It's all a lie and Hayter is Snake - - I'm ok with that. Put on the nostalgia goggles! Classic Snake I guess.
2. Hayter is not in it at all -- OK, his last few Snake performances were not too great anyway-- let's see what Kiefer can do.
3. Neither Hayter or Sutherland are in it -- Not likely at all but ok! Take me there Hideo, you crazy fuck.
4. They're both in it in some capacity -- seems possible and I don't see how this would be a bad thing if he's doing something interesting with it

I'm reminded of the scene in Heat where Tom Sizemore is deciding whether or not he wants to join the bank heist and says something like "The action is the juice, I'm in." Let's see where this goes.

Izick

The only way I will be sad or disappointing is if Hayter is doing this stuff out of frustration. If all the stuff were to be believed, they never even gave him the time of day to tell him it was over. He seems to have a lot of other work, so I don't think it's that. If this is just all out of frustration because he really likes the franchise, then I feel bad.

From http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...pain-and-ground-zeroes-are-metal-gear-solid-v:

Hideo Kojima opened his GDC keynote with an impressive trailer and the news that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are actually Metal Gear Solid V.

Kojima, who appeared on stage sporting facial bandages at first, also confirmed the involvement of Hideki Sasaki and Masayuki Suzuki in the project. The main vocal talent seems to be 24 actor Kiefer Sutherland, replacing long-term Snake voice actor and firm fan favourite David Hayter.

You mean this has been known since GDC?
vPzSeqz.png

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The Associated Press wrote a short story about this news and put it out on the wire. The thing is, the reporter spelled David Hayter's name wrong — it was spelled "Hayte" rather than "Hayter."

I emailed AP with the correction and it sent out a new writethrough that fixes the spelling.

even the AP is Hayting on Hayter

The only way I will be sad or disappointing is if Hayter is doing this stuff out of frustration. If all the stuff were to be believed, they never even gave him the time of day to tell him it was over. He seems to have a lot of other work, so I don't think it's that. If this is just all out of frustration because he really likes the franchise, then I feel bad.

That's exactly what happened. They never even told him until after they recast the role. That's why he's bitter about it. Remember, we're talking about a guy who took a severe pay cut on The Twin Snakes just to reunite the original cast, and a guy who plays every installment when it comes out. He clearly loves and cares about MGS.

He has every reason to be bitter and feel short-changed, especially when Kojima didn't even have the balls to thank him for all of his work and his devotion to the franchise for the past decade and a half.

Top Bottom