• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

KHarvey16

Is there any clarification from anywhere regarding the transfer of games to friends? I honestly don't read their statement to mean a license can only transfer once and never again, but that you may only gift a game you own to one person as opposed to multiple people. It is written a little ambiguously but that would seem needlessly complicated just from the standpoint of implementation.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I reckon Sony will have anti-used games but they will leave it up to pubs. I can image EA blackmailing Sony by not releasing FIFA/Battlefield etc on the PS4 unless they have the same anti-used DRM as MS. I want to be proven wrong!

Man i wish everyone just stuck with online passes compared to this bullshit we are getting now, it was literally the perfect compromise.

EAs biggest game (FIFA) sells the absolute most on Playstation consoles.

Don't see how in any way this would be profitable.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
•Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

I reallly really don't get this. If it's publisher enabled, why limit it like that? It just seems like an unnecessary move, and this entire bulletpoint would sound a lot better without it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Games shops never had any real problem with single use PC games that they wouldn't accept trade ins with , even when Half Life 2 came out.
How's that PC retail doing?

I think many people would actually say that PC gaming is actually better since the move to digital.
it's an apples and oranges comparison

nero2082

From the Sony conference thread. SCEA employee.

yTulCyw.png

Sony you got this.

Sony should just let Ubisoft, EA and Activision block used games off their own back, and not implement it system-wide.

I have no fucking problem ignoring all of their games, I've been doing it long enough.

some of my friends on Facebook are actually defending this.

Some people make up their minds well before the information is known, so when the actual information is known, they're ready and willing to accept anything and anything to stick to their original plan.

eXeál

Banned
If I remember well Major Nelson wrote on his twitter that they were thankful for the feedback and were listening... Yea, must have been some music, while skyping someone, while watching an ad, while...

Ishmae1

Where did it say you couldn't sell a game that has been gifted? I missed that.

Also, reading between the lines a bit, but if you can use cellular to authenticate, would that mean that smartglass can authenticate the box? So, if you're in range of any cell signal, the box could work for offline over 24 hours... although games that use the cloud wouldn't.

larvi

I don't follow, you can't play 1 disc on 2 consoles simultaneously, how is this any different?

The way I read it only one person from a family can be playing a game from the shared library at a given time. Right now my kids can be playing 1 disc on one console and I can be playing another. And we are free to swap those games between us and play them on different consoles. I can't have the games tied to either a single console or a single account.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Fuck this. I'm out. Loved my Xbox and Xbox 360 but I want no part of this shit. I'm going PS4 unless they pull some of this shit too. Then I guess I just go full bore PC and work on a sweet 360/PS3 collection. No Xbone for me.

RPGCrazied

I'd really like to see Microsoft do damage control with this one. Would the games change anyones mind? Even if they showed off Shenmue 3, KOTOR 4, Fable 4, Killer Instinct, wouldn't change the disinterest I have in this console. If they got rid of the DRM I could probably do with the no used games, if day 1 prices were way lower than $60.

DC1

Im thinking something like this:

-I buy an XBO
-Up to 10 members of my family has to create their account on my XBO
-They are then free to go over anyone elses house and, using their account credentials, they can log in.
-MS servers with check their account against my XBO and let them the games registered to it.

I dont know for sure but that kind makes sense to me. Theyre careful by saying "family" which makes me think theres going to be something there to verify family members.

No.
-I buy an XBO
-Up to 10 members of my family has to create their account on my XBO
-New They can now play my games on my XBO under their account with out issue.
-They are then free to go over anyone elses house and, using their account credentials, they can log in.
-MS servers with check their account against my XBO and will let them the register the games they played on my XBO to the other XBO.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: Changed "Will not" to "Will". I don't like it.

Sargex

Neo Member
Playing devil's advocate, because I hate to see the overreaction:

-I can almost guarantee they will work out rental deals with redbox, blockbuster, gamefly, etc. They would be foolish to leave money on the table.

-Put a piece of tape over the kinect sensor if you don't want MS to see you in your underwear. It's not like they'll be recording you on some server. relax.

-24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

-You can still trade a game to a friend. Once it's theirs, who cares what happens to it next. And there will still be avenues to sell your games. Amazon, gamestop, CeX... they'll all be there.

-Sharing all your games among 10 people = amazing. I can see 10 of my gaming friends and I working out a system of who buys what. That's 9 less games we each have to buy. Makes up for the lack of trade-in.

mila-relax.gif

You misspelled clowns

lHdQ5Vi.gif

-I can almost guarantee they will work out rental deals with redbox, blockbuster, gamefly, etc. They would be foolish to leave money on the table.

-Put a piece of tape over the kinect sensor if you don't want MS to see you in your underwear. It's not like they'll be recording you on some server. relax.

-24 hours of offline play: If your internet is down for more than 24 hours get a new provider. My PC is always online and that's where I game the most. You're not taking the xbox out of your house to go camping so what is the problem?

-You can still trade a game to a friend. Once it's theirs, who cares what happens to it next. And there will still be avenues to sell your games. Amazon, gamestop, CeX... they'll all be there.

-Sharing all your games among 10 people = amazing. I can see 10 of my gaming friends and I working out a system of who buys what. That's 9 less games we each have to buy. Makes up for the lack of trade-in.

mila-relax.gif

1259985644398.jpg

bad advice.

I buy and sell a lot of used games, where I live there is no Game/Gamespot, I live in an island so I cant move to the closest gameshop.

So, we trade/buy/sell private games, if each game can only be sold once, and I need to add the buyer 30 days previous the buy, this means NO USED GAMES for me.

Im off.

Its all on Ps4 now, if they pull off something similliar, Im off for good. This is anti-consumer, and an outrage to my power of buying and selling.

They said all this was fault of used games market (gamespot) and then they give exclusive rights to sell&buy games to gamespot....nice.

GhaleonEB

Wow. Massive thread. We need someone to summarize what happened. Bishop on massacre mode?

Thread is large because MS released a lot of information and there's a lot to discuss/react to. It's a pretty fundamental shift for consoles.

Edit: ah, the bans. NM then.

Jarmel

Banned
The primary account has to be on the same console. The point of this "feature" would be that all accounts on one console can play any games installed on it even if they are "assigned" to one particular account. As a secondary account holder of a game maybe you'll be able to log into a your account on a different machine and be able to play it.

This certainly DOES NOT mean that you can classify your friend across the planet as a family member and they'll be able to play any games you own any time they want.

According to the website, this interpretation seems to be incorrect. They emphasize any console. They also make a distinction between anyone playing the games on the base console. In fact they don't really list any restrictions.

Soler

Banned
Big speculation, but maybe the lack of these "features" in the Wii U ended EA's unprecedented partnership with Nintendo. There were rumours that EA were in discussions to help with Nintendo's online infrastructure and maybe Nintendo pushed back on a request like this. The PS3 and XboX 360 audience would be a lot more conducive to these kind of restrictions than Nintendo's audience would be, especially if both decided to implement them. Sony's conference should tell us more.

Yea no... Most of nintendo's audience is even more casual than Sony's

nib95

Banned

Damn.

Please for the love of everything good don't go down this route Sony!

EDIT: Took out the Shill gravestone pic. Funny and relevant, but it's still someone's grave stone at the end of the day, not cool with using it for a joke.

SenjutsuSage finally banned. My statement on calling him Reiko 2nd was correct.

eznark

Banned
S¡mon;61827350 said:
You know, I'm mostly okay with what Microsoft has announced. Obviously, the information is still fresh and I might get some things wrong, but I can see the benefits of this system and I understand why Microsoft has a "be-connected-once-every-24-hours"-rule.

That said, I believe there should be some changes:

- Instead of a once-every-24-hours check, I would have gone for 48 or 72 hours (because there are still lots of unstable internet connections in the world)
- If you want to gift a game to a friend, this friend has to be in your friendlist for 30 or more days. Remove the limit, I'd say.

And most importantly:
- Why not remove the limit that you need to login once every 24 hours, if the actual game disc is inside the Xbox One? It's like an absolute guarantee that someone owns that game at that very moment.

These are just a few things they should change in my opinion, and I'm probably missing something else too (this information is still too fresh). But again, over-all it's not too bad and I can see the benefits.

Huh weird, you do? I'm shocked.

Games shops never had any real problem with single use PC games that they wouldn't accept trade ins with , even when Half Life 2 came out.

I think many people would actually say that PC gaming is actually better since the move to digital.

True, but are parents and dudebros the type that buy Steam single-use game cards? Probably not.

G_Berry

Banned
The PS3 was always more powerful than the 360. Look at games like Uncharted or The Last of Us, impossible on the 360. PS3 was just harder to code for so multiplat devs couldn't unleash the full potential right away.

Wow. Thats it, im out. Its been fun gaf! Enjoy whatever this is.

SRTtoZ

Stop.Comparing.This.To.Steam.NOW.

Steam users accept a universal application to run their library for a lot of reasons.

1) No awful DRM. You have to be online to download the game of course but after that feel free to take as much time as you want to play the game online or offline.

2) STEAM SALES! This is probably the biggest point. There is a sale literally ever other day with games 50% off, 60% off or 75% off, then we have the Summer sales, Fall Sales, Spring sales, Halloween sales, Holiday sales where you can find 10-20-30 games 50-75% off on even NEW RELEASES. We accept the ability to not trade in our games for the fact that we can buy Farcry 3 for $15 New months ago.

Xmen Wolverine Origins is still $30 on XBL! CMON people. This aint the same.

Edit: Forgot to say, the PC Used game market before Steam was pretty much shit too, unlike the Console used market.

jett

D-Member
I wish we were the market, but truth is that the market is mainly casual. I wonder I we could generate enough feedback to counter the massive marketing campaign this montrousity will surely have.

Expect to see it everywhere this holiday: ads, Ophra's show, etc.

I mean...

If they can get their pricing to look like Steam's pricing...and get rid of the 24-hour checks...

It's all fine with me. It's Steam. But if it doesn't have the pricing...and if they don't get rid of the phoning home...it's worse than Steam.

Veldin

No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)

Console Checks in Every 24 hours

Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at participating retailers

You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then it is stuck with them.

Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time

u5i5rsb.gif

Gotchaye

The primary account has to be on the same console. The point of this "feature" would be that all accounts on one console can play any games installed on it even if they are "assigned" to one particular account. As a secondary account holder of a game maybe you'll be able to log into a your account on a different machine and be able to play it.

This certainly DOES NOT mean that you can classify your friend across the planet as a family member and they'll be able to play any games you own any time they want.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If I'm a "secondary account holder" and I can log on to my account on a different machine, why can't that machine be on the other side of the planet? They're going to need some other explicit limitation about how many people in the family can simultaneously access same/different games on different systems.

Psi

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mila-relax.gif

images

Top Bottom