• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

Violet_0

Banned
His unceasing smile is unnerving.

Final Smash is probably Tom Nook coming to collect his money.

or this guy
Resetti.jpg

Revven

Overall impressions from a more competitive player after gleaning over all the footage today:

Currently cautiously optimistic. Game looks a little less floaty than Brawl did, pace is a little different. In the Developer Direct, we get a few glimpses of some interesting things.

-For starters, Mario doesn't autosnap to the edge with his Side B the same way he does in Brawl. Not sure if it's because the player was holding down *after* the Side B or not, buuuuut nonetheless it could be a good sign that the edge won't be as free anymore.

-Megaman looks annoying. Projectiles out the ass, can you clash them out with any moves? Otherwise, he's going to be a monster. He'll be Falco on crack with so many projectiles at his disposal. 45% down smash in one of the videos (the one where it's supposedly Sakurai playing the game against Megaman or something).

-Mario has FLUDD again (could just be the early transitional period where some move sets are unchanged atm like the Brawl reveal where Kirby had his Melee Side B still) not sure... if I like that.

-Brawl air dodge is still there. Not sure if I like it. If in the final product you *can't* cancel hitstun with an air dodge, I won't mind. But if hitstun is completely negated again in this game, I'm not sure I'll be happy. I WANT my combos and my reads.

-Bowser's new move looks great and looks like it could give him a boost. Overall mobility improvement for him sounds wonderful. It's definitely what he needed.

-Villager looks okay, not much I can say really without seeing him played in actual matches.

-Wii Fit Trainer looks interesting. She seems to have the mobility of Sheik, to me anyway. She's kind of floaty but it's okay to have floaty specific characters IF the other characters also have their own unique gravities/physics.

-Animation touch-ups on Samus' moves, most notably forward tilt. Less stiff than in Brawl which is REALLY good; visually appealing there. Not something of competitive value BUT I do appreciate it nonetheless.

-Knockback looks like it scales differently but I'm not sure.

-Hitlag for some things look lower, which is good, less time to SDI on reaction (for the less in-the-know, SDI = Smash DI, which is smashing the stick in a direction to push your character more strongly for more survivability).

-Less hazardous stages is always good, more unique PLATFORM layouts for stages is a big plus. Please do more of these stages, I hate the chaotic ones. Unique platform layout spotted on Skyloft and the new Smashville has two plats on each side (I'll assume they move in some way). I hope there's more variety in plain platform stages rather than chaotic and hazardous ones... but I'll keep my expectations in check.

-Powershielding looks to have the same bullshit from Brawl where you don't take any pushback from whatever move hit your shield. And it kinda looked like Bowser buffered it from something but it's obviously hard to tell. If shielding overall is weaker and this is still powerful, I guess I won't mind, but if BOTH are still super powerful together, then it's going to be a repeat of Brawl where defense trumps everything. =\

-Aesthetically it looks great, much better than Brawl and somewhat more in line with Melee's vibrancy. I hope they keep that aesthetic going for the rest of the cast and stages.

Overall like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic but Megaman did get me hyped this morning. I don't see a whole lot of... well, inspiration from what the modding community has done but I guess that's not something I should expect. I guess you could argue Skyloft counts buuuuuut come on, it was a no brainer that was going to be a stage in the next Smash game anyway (all they had to do was import Skyloft's model and create an animation for the stage to make it seem like you're moving in the air).

I hope to God they really don't keep things from the Brawl engine and that this is still rather early where they can fix up whatever's looking... kind of off. I hope none of the bugs or coding related issues transfer over (such as teching using the wrong damn ID or variable which is why teching felt so off in Brawl). And of course, PLEASE NO TRIPPING AT ALL.

Also, I hope Jason got to ask Sakurai my questions..!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sonic was total shite in Brawl. Snake actually held up against the best characters.
Microsoft tries to shoehorn Kinect into a proper game = GAF gets mad.
Nintendo tries to shoehorn Wii Fit board into a proper game = GAF rejoices.
Difference being that Nintendo isn't forcing you to use the Balance Board to play as the Trainer.

Oh wait you are just a troll. Never mind.

Anbec7

Please tell me we are getting more characters?
Brawl first trailer showed 5! :/

I want MOREEE

Also Wii Fit Girl rocks XD

I thought I was hyped when I started seeing the "Here Comes a New Challenger" from PSASBR, Seeing that "New Challenger Approaching" nearly killed me.

No, just said he was very selective with who was in from third parties. So no Soras and Tales characters.

Bye bye Snake.

I'm not so sure. Snake was done as a favor, so I don't think he'll just leave him out in the next entry and since Namco Bandai is helping, I wouldn't doubt a Tales of character making an appearance.

If you go into Smash bros with the mindset of "Oh man, this character made it in, that means one less character I want will get in" you'll drive yourself nuts and hate the game.

Remember, this is the series that added Pichu that was an inferior clone of a character and a straight joke character. But then you find out later that it wasn't adding Pichu over Dedede/Diddy/Pit, it was Pichu or nothing, and once you learn that you begin to realize you just need to go with it and enjoy the wackiness and random characters Sakurai picks.

I think the characters so far are awesome. Two long overdue characters (Villager was robbed in Brawl!) and a neat gimmick character that seems incredibly fun and well animated.

No, just said he was very selective with who was in from third parties. So no Soras and Tales characters.

Bye bye Snake.

I think we'll see only Sonic and Pac Man and no other third parties. Sonic because he's Sonic, and Pac Man because of Namco making the game.

Zomba13

Yellowdevil.jpg

since he showed up at the end of Mega Man's reveal, i assume he's gonna be a boss character or something.

Hopefully it means a new Single player story style mode. I really liked SSE so that sort of thing but with some improved gameplay could be really really fun.

Flakster99

Taken completely off guard... holy crap this looks fucking awesome! Mega Man and the Wii Fit Trainer? Absolutely Brilliant. Can't wait!

MicH

Everything about this game looks and sounds amazing. Wii Fit Trainer is so damn good. Best surprise of E3

No 3DS screenshots for either Villager or Wii Fit Trainer. Make of that what you will.
Animal Crossing is mainly a handheld series so that would be quite odd...

Anywayz: Love the character reveals! Wii Fit Trainer is awesome and I love AC series so good to see it finally get a rep.

Mega Man tho! He was basically my most wanted character and he got in! YES!

It was an insider that said they knew about 6 of the newcomers and 3 are announced, so I guess they mean the extra 3 now

They also claimed they knew about Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Megaman, but didn't post then because the source seemed unreliable. Also from a littleknown site. I call major bullshit.

Kind of surprised that the Link design is purely TP/Wii U Tech Demo Link, no Skyward Sword influence at all...

screen-8.jpg

Check out the colors. Pure SS.

daxgame

Overall impressions from a more competitive player after gleaning over all the footage today:

Currently cautiously optimistic. Game looks a little less floaty than Brawl did, pace is a little different. In the Developer Direct, we get a few glimpses of some interesting things.

-For starters, Mario doesn't autosnap to the edge with his Side B the same way he does in Brawl. Not sure if it's because the player was holding down *after* the Side B or not, buuuuut nonetheless it could be a good sign that the edge won't be as free anymore.

-Megaman looks annoying. Projectiles out the ass, can you clash them out with any moves? Otherwise, he's going to be a monster. He'll be Falco on crack with so many projectiles at his disposal. 45% down smash in one of the videos (the one where it's supposedly Sakurai playing the game against Megaman or something).

-Mario has FLUDD again (could just be the early transitional period where some move sets are unchanged atm like the Brawl reveal where Kirby had his Melee Side B still) not sure... if I like that.

-Brawl air dodge is still there. Not sure if I like it. If in the final product you *can't* cancel hitstun with an air dodge, I won't mind. But if hitstun is completely negated again in this game, I'm not sure I'll be happy. I WANT my combos and my reads.

-Bowser's new move looks great and looks like it could give him a boost. Overall mobility improvement for him sounds wonderful. It's definitely what he needed.

-Villager looks okay, not much I can say really without seeing him played in actual matches.

-Wii Fit Trainer looks interesting. She seems to have the mobility of Sheik, to me anyway. She's kind of floaty but it's okay to have floaty specific characters IF the other characters also have their own unique gravities/physics.

-Animation touch-ups on Samus' moves, most notably forward tilt. Less stiff than in Brawl which is REALLY good; visually appealing there. Not something of competitive value BUT I do appreciate it nonetheless.

-Knockback looks like it scales differently but I'm not sure.

-Hitlag for some things look lower, which is good, less time to SDI on reaction (for the less in-the-know, SDI = Smash DI, which is smashing the stick in a direction to push your character more strongly for more survivability).

-Less hazardous stages is always good, more unique PLATFORM layouts for stages is a big plus. Please do more of these stages, I hate the chaotic ones. Unique platform layout spotted on Skyloft and the new Smashville has two plats on each side (I'll assume they move in some way). I hope there's more variety in plain platform stages rather than chaotic and hazardous ones... but I'll keep my expectations in check.

-Powershielding looks to have the same bullshit from Brawl where you don't take any pushback from whatever move hit your shield. And it kinda looked like Bowser buffered it from something but it's obviously hard to tell. If shielding overall is weaker and this is still powerful, I guess I won't mind, but if BOTH are still super powerful together, then it's going to be a repeat of Brawl where defense trumps everything. =\

-Aesthetically it looks great, much better than Brawl and somewhat more in line with Melee's vibrancy. I hope they keep that aesthetic going for the rest of the cast and stages.

Overall like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic but Megaman did get me hyped this morning. I don't see a whole lot of... well, inspiration from what the modding community has done but I guess that's not something I should expect. I guess you could argue Skyloft counts buuuuuut come on, it was a no brainer that was going to be a stage in the next Smash game anyway (all they had to do was import Skyloft's model and create an animation for the stage to make it seem like you're moving in the air).

I hope to God they really don't keep things from the Brawl engine and that this is still rather early where they can fix up whatever's looking... kind of off. I hope none of the bugs or coding related issues transfer over (such as teching using the wrong damn ID or variable which is why teching felt so off in Brawl). And of course, PLEASE NO TRIPPING AT ALL.

Also, I hope Jason got to ask Sakurai my questions..!

great post and, well, I bolded what concerns me

Kyzon

This game is going to be pretty funny.

I'm loving how the gameplay seems to be a bit faster than brawl. Weight seems a bit better as well.

Villager For Life

Revven

FLUDD is seen in gameplay video vs Megaman. It's staying.

Early Brawl reveal had Kirby with his Melee Hammer Side B (the one where he spins in a circle). Later was changed to what we see in the final product now.

Nothing is sacred in these gameplay clips, except maybe core gameplay elements like the air dodge. Characters though? Definitely possible.

VARIA

xmHeHoh.png

Kinda weird and awesome to have my prediction (from the Sakurai Smash Bros trailer thread) come true.

Fuck yeah!

One of the more shocking aspects of the reveal is just how good the 3DS version looks. Clearly it borrows some of the Brawl models, but that's impressive in its own right. I like that they tried to differentiate the games' art styles a bit, too.

Check out the colors. Pure SS.

Huh? That's the Brawl SSB model without question. Almost no SS influence, outside of the more "cel-shaded" art style they've chosen for the characters.

Top Bottom