• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources confirm Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
ghst said:
If you just play as a dude wandering around in sci-fi world then this can goto hell.

If you play as a dude, but the empahisis is on space travel/combat ala Eve, then this could really be awesome.

If you play as a dude, but the emphasis in on commanding a whole fleet of ships, in a 3D homeworld RTS way but in a persistant online universe, the awesome will drip from the heavens.
I think I agree with this.

adg1034

You guys aren't realizing- Blizzard's gotten really, really smart. Those Koreans love their MMOs, and those Koreans also love their Starcraft. Put them together, and you have a license to mint those new Canadian $1,000,000 coins.

duckroll

So wait, this is being announced in South Korea? WoW isn't anywhere as popular as Starcraft in Korea, and the MMORPG market there is totally oversaturated. Yet they still love Starcraft (the RTS) like a religion. Maybe the announcement won't be too bad... look at it this way, if it's a shitty announcement they'll probably get lynched and never leave the country alive. Otherwise it might be a pretty cool announcement! :lol

Big-E

Damn, hopefully we are all just over reacting here as we still know nothing about the game. That being said I can't help but feel disappointed. I agree with Wollan, if they do this for consoles this may bring in a lot more people into Blizzard's MMO world.

Aleman

I'm pretty confident Blizzard won't disappoint. I think it will be much more than just WoW in the Starcraft universe.

Kabouter

Big-E said:
Damn, hopefully we are all just over reacting here as we still know nothing about the game. That being said I can't help but feel disappointed. I agree with Wollan, if they do this for consoles this may bring in a lot more people into Blizzard's MMO world.
Yeah, but I'm not a shareholder, so all I care about is a good game that does something completely different. Another generic MMORPG is not what I'm waiting for.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
shagg_187 said:
I bet its gonna be "WoW" engine...

Wait, how the ******** would they create MMORPG out of Starcraft?! It didn't have magic or s***... :S

from some of the sources I talk to on a regular, this has been in the works for a while. The concept of them using equipment and stuff without magic, is going to be awesome. Unfortunately i cant talk about it that much :(

adg1034

g35twinturbo said:
from some of the sources I talk to on a regular, this has been in the works for a while. The concept of them using equipment and stuff without magic, is going to be awesome. Unfortunately i cant talk about it that much :(

So, is this confirmation of WoS?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Console version?

Cant see why they'd make it for PC unless their intention is to have everyone move off WoW.

I so hope that it's just WoW with different models and textures. Where even in the Beta they forgot to take out some old WoW-content. That would be so funny. :lol

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I don't know if happy or sad. Blizzard has proved it is too good at nerfing stuff for me to enjoy their output. But I need to post this, or I'll ****ing explode, because I can just see them there, thinking it.

evilzebra.gif

twofold

The Sphinx said:
I really don't get it. Seems like a lot of development money spent to steal people from WoW.

I remember reading that Blizzard's WoW subscription figures for Korea aren't as high as they should be due to mistakes on Blizzard's part -- for example, high monthly fees compared to other games.

The amount of subs gained for a Starcraft MMO in Korea alone would probably make them more them money than what they'd lose from reduced subscription figures in WoW.

Rur0ni

I have faith in Blizzard atm. But I really wanted a SC2. But if its some MMORTS thing that works well, I will be pleased.

derder

Honestly, I don't care what it is, because like every game since warcraft II, I'm going to buy it, and love it.

They saved themselves from tarnishing their name by just scrapping Starcraft: Ghost.

Vieo

I hate RTS games so this doesn't affect me. However, if they pull the same shit with Diablo, they'll pretty much kill what little interest in PC gaming I have left.

Dahbomb

:( :( :(

Its probably going to sell insanely well but a real Starcraft 2 would've been about 500 times better than this. My heart quakes for Korea...

antiloop

I guess we have a MMO only future to look forward to.

I only want Diablo 3 from Blizzard anyway. Make it good please, with no montly fee.

Acosta

If is a WoW "Starcraft" version, well, great, I will be there and I will be excited to be.

But I really hope is a MMORTS, that would be incredible.

In any case, fantastic news, long live to our MMOs overlords and screw the haters and the pussies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Let's make some fake press releases!!!

SEOUL, KOREA -- WORLD OF WARCRAFT™ creator Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., today unveiled plans to develop WORLD OF STARCRAFT™ for the PC, Xbox 1, DS, and Game.com platforms in August 2008. WORLD OF STARCRAFT™, the follow up to 1998's incredibly successful STARCRAFT™ for PC, is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game in the vein of WORLD OF WARCRAFT™ but with a new twist.

The President of South Korea, Roh Moo-hyun, could not be reached for comment. Apparently he was playing Starcraft. His aids, though, have declared a state of emergency in South Korea and have requested from the European Union and the United States $50 billion USD to repel the oncoming Zerg Rush. When questioned, one aide responded laconically: "KEKEKEKE."

Blizzard had no reply at press time for South Korea's bizarre response, though the distinct sound of cash registers could be heard on the phone with Blizzard's representatives. WORLD OF STARCRAFT™ is set to debut right before the world ends.

Borys

Banned
:lol @ all the shy "please be for consoles" posts.

Blizzard is really blinded by WoW's succes. Too bad for them - they won't get a penny from me.

Yixian

Banned
Massivle Multiplayer Online First Person Adventure.

It's gonna be an MMO Metroid. Just you wait.

Console only is possible - it'll certainly come to consoles anyway, and will probably have much higher technical requirements.

I'm all for it, particularly if it comes to PS3. However, I hope they've been working on it for a few years already, because Blizzard is outrageously slow when it comes to releasing games.

ram

let me guess:

world of diablo in 2010?

once a great studios is becoming more and more a shell of itself. it is oky, to have one MMORPG, but with strong singleplayer/multiplayer franchise, i would like to play a great story driven game again. too bad, that it wont happen anymore.

I really don't understand the 'Please be for console' stuff.

This assumes you want the game in the first place, yes? Now, MMORPGs or the hypothetical MMORTS, the control scheme would simply fit better on the KB/M setup.

Furthermore, this is a Blizzard game. You could use a computer built in the last decade and you'd still be able to play it - maybe with a bit of fiddling with settings, but c'mon...

Sqorgar

Banned
I'm thrilled that a new MMORPG will be announced that won't be another crappy elf fantasy game. Now that we have Lord of the Rings Online, developers are running out of good excuses to rip of Tolkien (or in Blizzard's case, Games Workshop - though I guess they'd STILL be doing that). Blizzard could make WoS nothing more than WoW with Zerg, and it'd still be a thousand times more awesome than WoW ever was.

The only problem is that after Blizzard announces a game, it is usually another three freaking years until it is released. By then, ripping off Warhammer 40k will be the new pink.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Pureauthor said:
I really don't understand the 'Please be for console' stuff.

This assumes you want the game in the first place, yes? Now, MMORPGs or the hypothetical MMORTS, the control scheme would simply fit better on the KB/M setup.

Furthermore, this is a Blizzard game. You could use a computer built in the last decade and you'd still be able to play it - maybe with a bit of fiddling with settings, but c'mon...

Sitting in front of a ****ing desk for 10 hours a day is not comfortable. Laying on your couch however, is just like sleeping, only while "playing" the game so you don't die of not playing the game. Trust me, it sounds much more complicated than it is.

I understand control would be better on PC, but the couch factor, come on. They need to realise that WoW is the leading cause of Carpal Tunnel in the world and give us methods to avoid wrist pain for the rest of our lives, while still getting monies.

Top Bottom