• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources confirm Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

StarCraft MMO blasts into orbit
Blizzard's new sci-fi MMO is set to rock the world later this month, CVG has learned

The long-rumoured new instalment of Blizzard's massive StarCraft series is set to be unveiled later this month - and it's another massively-multiplayer online game in the style of World of Warcraft, CVG can reveal.

Well placed US sources have revealed to us that the StarCraft MMO will be unveiled at an upcoming Blizzard event on May 19 in South Korea - the epicentre of the sci-fi RTS series' rabid fandom.

The unveiling of the new instalment has previously been rumoured for the South Korea event, though we now know that the title is in fact an online spin-off and not a new RTS game as previously assumed.

Of course this is massive news for both Vivendi and the MMO world; Blizzard's other online offering World of Warcraft has topped 6 million subscribers and is arguably the biggest game around today.

The question is, is there room for both World of Warcraft and a StarCraft MMO? The later will have to be a very different type of online game to convince gamers to subscribe to both of Blizzard's pair.

We will of course let you know as soon as soon as Blizzard officially confirms the game on May 19.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163207

Yeah, I really wanted Starcraft 2.

What's this I hear? Oh. It's the sound of a few million people losing their entire lives and most of their wallets.

Blizzard, what have you done?!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
facepalm.jpg

duckroll

Jesus Christ. Blizzard, don't prove those naysayers right. You're NOT the sell-out they say you are.......... are you? :(

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
The Sphinx said:
I really don't get it. Seems like a lot of development money spent to steal people from WoW.

By the time WoS is released, WoW will already be in a rapid decline. They won't really cannibalize their market so much as retain their existing one.

Belfast

I really, really wanted StarCraft 2. :(

But dammit Blizzard, you're going to get me to pay for this anyway, aren't you?

Marjorine

I am not going to say I won't buy it, because I will. But I was hoping for a Starcraft 2 RTS.

I guess once you drink the sweet, sweet MMORPG monthly payment teat, it is hard to walk away. As for competing with WoW...with Blizzard's development timetable, this game is years away. WoW will hopefully be well into it's downward slide. Even if Blizzard says 2009 for WoS, they REALLY mean 2011.

But it's a new Blizzard game, so I am hyped. I just hope the news is reliable.

Eric WK

I've been calling World of Starcraft for a year now, but I didn't think it was this month's announcement at all.

Huge surprise.

Matix

So its World Of Warcraft, within the Starcraft universe (who would of thunk it)?!

:lol :lol WoS :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
god, how lame. starcraft was so great as well.

I ****ing hate MMORPG's and I hate the people that enjoy them. Smelly losers all of them.

Kusagari

I wouldn't even really care if it was a completely different style of MMORPG. The article seems to imply its just WoW in Starcraft though.

This makes me sad. :( I was actually gonna buy a new PC for Starcraft 2 (i need one anyway the game was just a really good excuse for it). **** you Blizzard you ruined my plans!

I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and will probably end up playing it, but even if they announce it next month I'm sure it's quite a ways off. I expect at least one more WoW expansion before Blizzard allows a World of StarCraft starts to steal the World of WarCraft audience.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
catfish said:
god, how lame. starcraft was so great as well.

I ****ing hate MMORPG's and I hate the people that enjoy them. Smelly losers all of them.

LOL

don't be such a baby. Everyone knew this would happen, like most companies they like making money so it only figures they would do this.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
If you just play as a dude wandering around in sci-fi world then this can goto hell.

If you play as a dude, but the empahisis is on space travel/combat ala Eve, then this could really be good.

If you play as a dude, but the emphasis in on commanding a whole fleet of ships, in a 3D homeworld RTS way but in a persistant online universe, the awesome will drip from the heavens.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I was gonna say F U Blizzard but I just started playing Wow.

Really F U blizzard. BYE MONEY

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
**** sakes. What a pile of shit. No Starcraft for me then...

All I wanted was a new REAL rts, all these years and this is what we get. ****in blizzard.

I hope this isn't true.

duckroll

ghst said:
If you just play as a dude wandering around in sci-fi world then this can goto hell.

If you play as a dude, but the empahisis is on space travel/combat ala Eve, then this could really be awesome.

If you play as a dude, but the emphasis in on commanding a whole fleet of ships, in a 3D homeworld RTS way but in a persistant universe, the awesome will drip from the heavens.

What if you play as a zergling.... on an epic journey to start a new colony nest?

Top Bottom