• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources confirm Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

The Sphinx said:
I really don't get it. Seems like a lot of development money spent to steal people from WoW.
Well, they can't rest on their laurels forever. People will always eventually move on to something else, and it's in their best interest that they move from one Blizzard product to another.

Mobius 1

MetatronM said:
facepalm.jpg

Precisely

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Sphinx said:
I really don't get it. Seems like a lot of development money spent to steal people from WoW.

People are quitting WoW.

Dr.Hadji

TerryLee81 said:
What's with all the MMORPG hate in this thread?

You know exactly that you will all be playing this.

Because MMORPGs suck. Possibly the worst genre in gaming history (IMO IMO). I could be excited about a RTS with MMO like features but a MMO with RTS feautes (an MMORTS)........ DO NOT WANT.

Kabouter

QVT said:
Sitting in front of a ****ing desk for 10 hours a day is not comfortable. Laying on your couch however, is just like sleeping, only while "playing" the game so you don't die of not playing the game. Trust me, it sounds much more complicated than it is.

I understand control would be better on PC, but the couch factor, come on. They need to realise that WoW is the leading cause of Carpal Tunnel in the world and give us methods to avoid wrist pain for the rest of our lives, while still getting monies.

You wanna play 10 hours a day or are you referring to your job and then some additional game time?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Jacobi said:
Please an MMOFPS PLEASE

I'd punch my very own mother in the ovaries for this.

edit: I want to play 24 hours a day but I have to sleep and go to uni. I suffer from addiction.

I'd play videogames and read comic books for 24 hours a day if I didn't have to sleep or work or go to uni. The problem with this is, they end. Single player games tend to end way too fast for someone who has the kind of free time that I do - and while I'm not currently married to an MMORPG, I do want to play again, I'm just sick of WoW and not interested In LOTRO or Vanguard. Or sitting in a ****ing desk for that long.

Tobor

Kabouter said:
You wanna play 10 hours a day or are you referring to your job and then some additional game time?

For me at least it's option 2.

I would kill for a true console MMORPG. I would think as far as Blizzard is concerned that Diablo would be the much better fit though.

Aegus

An MMO that combines ZOE with Deus Ex in an Eve type galaxy with numerous worlds the size of Oblivion.

That's all I ask.

zer0das

Banned
I seriously doubt this. Well placed sources? Right. What happened to all the ones talking about Starcraft 2? I call bullshit.

Aegus said:
An MMO that combines ZOE with Deus Ex in an Eve type galaxy with numerous worlds the size of Oblivion.

That's all I ask.

You realize that pretty much any given MMO is exponentially larger than Oblivion? Oblivion isn't even that large. It does however have LOTS of high hills and such that make traversing it far more difficult than it should be.

FLEABttn

Banned
Borys said:
Blizzard is really blinded by WoW's succes. Too bad for them - they won't get a penny from me.

When their active subscriptions are almost three times that of your closest competator highest number ever (8.5 million versus Lineage's 3 million...back in 2003-2004 when Lineage actually had those numbers), I think being "blinded by their succes" is to be expected. WoS could sell half the number of box copies that StarCraft 2 would and they'd still be printing money from a lack of piracy and monthly fees.

So, unfortunately for you (well, perhaps all of us), your $50 means dick to them, Blizzard and Vivendi higher ups light their cigars with panda cubs, cause the gross sales in WoW each year are higher than a number of countries GDP.

Aegus

My Arms Your Hearse said:
You realize that pretty much any given MMO is exponentially larger than Oblivion? Oblivion isn't even that large. It does however have LOTS of high hills and such that make traversing it far more difficult than it should be.

Hence why I said multiple worlds. Besides the Oblivion size worlds would be entire futuristic cityscapes with hundreds of 100s story skyscrapers that allows gameplay similar to Deus Ex, while the ZOE elements would be entirely space based with huge battles that could be affected from the ground by the "Deus Ex" players hacking into the mechs systems and vice-versa.

Warcraft gets to the point where it basically is really small.

****, I hate MMOs. Fuyck MMOs right in the ear. I hope South Korea simultaneously shits right into Blizzard's face.

I want my Starcraft 2 goddamit.

Poor Blizzard. I can see them getting stuck into this MMO business with their creativity sucked out in 5-10 years.

acksman

Do you think more companies are moving to this model due to piracy? Its very controlled and who doesn't love residuals.

Juice

I think anyone expecting anything other than an MMO out of Blizzard at this point is smoking crack. Blizzard isn't a benevolent, self-owned company. They have to rationalize every decision they make, and since a traditional RTS isn't going to bring in hundreds of millions of dollars year-after-year, they won't even have it as an option on the table.

From Vivendi's point of view, Blizzard's next game absolutely has to be an MMO. I really doubt they have any say in the matter (nor should they).

Blizzard is really blinded by WoW's succes. Too bad for them - they won't get a penny from me.

And another f'ing developer bites the dust. I hate you right now Blizzard, you should die die die...not all of us have time to play another money grubbing worthless piece of shit online rpg game. If you are going to make World of Starcraft then make it a game that is not a WoW clone and that doesn't take my whole ****ing life to even try to play. I ****ing swear blizzard, you are dumb dumb dumb. It may very well be that your appreciation for money has finally superseded your appreciation for games, and that means you have turned to the dark side and shall meet slow defeat.

NORMAL GAMERS DO NOT F'ING APPRECIATE HAVING TO SPEND 40 HOURS PER WEEK PLAYING A GAME WITH THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BARELY KEEPING UP WITH ALL THE MONKEYS WHO SIT IN THEIR MOTHER'S HOUSES AND WASTE MONEY PLAYING WoW EVERY DAY ALL DAY. SO IF YOU TURN STARCRAFT INTO A WoW CLONE I WILL GO FREAKY ON YOUR ASS BLIZZARD, FREAKY

It may very well be that your appreciation for money has finally superseded your appreciation for games, and that means you have turned to the dark side and shall meet slow defeat.

Whoa whoa whoa... what? Blizzard has never appreciated games over money. Games are created for the sake of money. That's the way it is.

This just seems stupid. Like other people have said, why would Blizzard pour a ton of money into World of Starcraft when it's going to cannibalize sales and subscriptions of World of Warcraft. That just seems retarded. For those of you saying "they're just doing it for Korea"... why? Sure MMORPGs are big in Korea but not as big as StarCraft. StarCraft II would do better in Korea than World of StarCraft. Of course... SCII wouldn't have some absurd monthly fee associated with it.

These guys used to be the ****ing best at RTS games. What the hell happened? I played WoW for a few months. It's alright, but I really just do not like the genre of MMORPG. They require way too much investment. For those of you with the time to give, it's awesome. I've seen my former roommates playing it and it looks awesome, but I do not have that much time to devote to all my games, let along a single one. I would really like to see an RTS game in which I can just hop on Battle.net and play a 30-60 minute match, then go eat dinner and go to sleep.

Acosta

chibcicylist said:
****, I hate MMOs. Fuyck MMOs right in the ear. I hope South Korea simultaneously shits right into Blizzard's face.

I want my Starcraft 2 goddamit.

Poor Blizzard. I can see them getting stuck into this MMO business with their creativity sucked out in 5-10 years.

Cry a little more, it´s amusing.

"Poor Blizzard" :lol :lol :lol

Pureauthor said:
Whoa whoa whoa... what? Blizzard has never appreciated games over money. Games are created for the sake of money. That's the way it is.
Those who created Starcraft, and even the original Warcraft, wanted money, but they understood the inner workings of games such that their masterpieces were worth more than the sum of the money earned through our purchases. They were magical times, magical times indeed, and that is game appreciation over money.

border

TheKingsCrown said:
NORMAL GAMERS DO NOT F'ING APPRECIATE HAVING TO SPEND 40 HOURS PER WEEK PLAYING A GAME WITH THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BARELY KEEPING UP WITH ALL THE MONKEYS WHO SIT IN THEIR MOTHER'S HOUSES AND WASTE MONEY PLAYING WoW EVERY DAY ALL DAY. SO IF YOU TURN STARCRAFT INTO A WoW CLONE I WILL GO FREAKY ON YOUR ASS BLIZZARD, FREAKY
Normal gamers aren't so obsessed with "keeping up" with others that they hate a game over it. They just play the game and have fun with it, rather than go ALL-CAPS BATSHIT over what other people are accomplishing.

StrikerObi said:
This just seems stupid. Like other people have said, why would Blizzard pour a ton of money into World of Starcraft when it's going to cannibalize sales and subscriptions of World of Warcraft. That just seems retarded. For those of you saying "they're just doing it for Korea"... why? Sure MMORPGs are big in Korea but not as big as StarCraft. StarCraft II would do better in Korea than World of StarCraft. Of course... SCII wouldn't have some absurd monthly fee associated with it.

These guys used to be the ****ing best at RTS games. What the hell happened? I played WoW for a few months. It's alright, but I really just do not like the genre of MMORPG. They require way too much investment. For those of you with the time to give, it's awesome. I've seen my former roommates playing it and it looks awesome, but I do not have that much time to devote to all my games, let along a single one. I would really like to see an RTS game in which I can just hop on Battle.net and play a 30-60 minute match, then go eat dinner and go to sleep.
I know! AND I DON'T EVEN CARE WHAT FORM Starcraft 2 takes, so long as it comes before a POS MMORPG game. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TheKingsCrown said:
Those who created Starcraft, and even the original Warcraft, wanted money, but they understood the inner workings of games such that their masterpieces were worth more than the sum of the money earned through our purchases. They were magical times, magical times indeed, and that is game appreciation over money.

Actually I think it's more about the fact that if you make a game that is 100x better than anything on the market you are guaranteed success. That game was StarCraft.

Somehow I'm not disappointed with this news. Starcraft is my favorite game of all time, but I'm not a Blizzard fanboy. I was meh on Diablo, and I hated Warcraft 3. But this news kind of excites me for some reason. Imagine Star Wars Galaxies done right. I'm sure it'll be a completely different game from WoW.

And of course, let's wait to see if this is true.

I probably wouldn't be too excited about Starcraft 2 because I know they would never in a million years make it better than the original.

Acosta

StrikerObi said:

You can connect WoW, do a 30-60 battleground match and go eat dinner and go to sleep.

It just require an insane amount of hours if you want to be one of the best, which is not that different from the kind of investment you need for being one of the top Starcraft players.

And WoW is not eternal, other MMOs will cannibalize WoW userbase this year when games like Warhammer or Age of Conan comes around. World of Warcraft will boost their business and maybe push it beyond WoW numbers.

TheKingsCrown said:

No. They made their games good/great because with their relative dearth of viable IPs, they can't afford to tarnish the name of any of their IPs.

And to people complaining about MMOs being a massive timesink, just play PvE. Sheesh.

border said:
Normal gamers aren't so obsessed with "keeping up" with others that they hate a game over it. They just play the game and have fun with it, rather than go ALL-CAPS BATSHIT over what other people are accomplishing.
The end game of MMORPGS is to play your life within a game, and I'm sorry if I do not want to do that. I like pieces of fantasy where I lose myself while still being able to tend to other things.

WoW's levelling is a carrot and stick game designed to keep you coming back for more, which works as a business model, but which is really shitty for the non-40 hour per week WoW player.

Acosta

TheKingsCrown said:

World of Warcraft offered me way more magical moments that Diablo 2 and Starcraft, combined. For me, is the best thing that Blizzard has done, ever.

Ikael

I really think that all the people claiming that this is a genious movement from Blizzard's part and how everyone and their mother is going to buy this game despite of the complaints are in for a rude awakening, not to mention Blizzard.

1- The Starcraft fanbase just want an RTS. I did not see every Warcraft fan jumping into the WoW boat, then why Starcraft fans would do the same with this? I surely won't.

2- They will just canibalizate their own sales unless they really, really do create an extremely different MMORPG from WoW.

3- How the hell are they going to put people that doesn't play MMORPGs on board? Unless they do something radical like putting out monthy fees and scrap the huge amount of time needed in order to play these games, they simply won't.

4- Didn't they learn that they shouldn't put too much eggs on the same basket? Do they expect MMORPGs to be on the rise forever? haven't they thought that the MMORPG population will plateau sooner or later and that this is an already overcrowded market (a la FPS one)?

I am a huge Starcraft fan but I simply will NOT play this. I do not want to grind, I do not want to pay monthly fees and I do not want a glorified chatroom. A highly polished MMORPG with a different setting won't simply attract new consumers.

Top Bottom