• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources confirm Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

echoshifting said:
This is completely and utterly untrue in WoW: BC.

Nonsense and anyone who's played this game seriously would know that.

Of course, you could play the game for an hour a day, but you wouldnt even be able to finish the shortest instance that way. What's the point then really?

"You dont mean shit in an MMORPG if you dont plan on making a serious commitment to it. So yeah, you're better off not playing it if you wanna do it casually."

Why do you care if you're better than others? Do you expand this thought to other games?

It's pretty silly (and, also, immature!)

Fallout-NL said:
Nonsense and anyone who's played this game seriously would know that.

Oh give me a break.

You can compete in arenas for less than an hour a week.

Gear you can earn soloing, crafting, and in 5-man heroic dungeons is nearly as good as top-tier raid gear.

You can casually raid the first raid dungeon once or twice a week with your friends.

And if that's not enough for you, you can get the hell over yourself and play the game to have fun and hang out with friends instead of to 'matter' in a made-up online world. Seriously, the wording of your first post is kinda sad.

Fallout-NL said:
Of course, you could play the game for an hour a day, but you wouldnt even be able to finish the shortest instance that way. What's the point then really?

You could always not go for instances, you know.

Zzoram

As badly as I want Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 first, I would pay to play a Starcraft MMO. I didn't get into World of Warcraft but I want to get into an MMO at some point, and Starcraft would be a no brainer.

Ashodin

Well honestly, it depends on what the game looks like, and how it plays compared to World of Warcraft.

I'd honestly say that the current WoW model for Starcraft really can't work, or it'd have to work like RF Online - each side has their own side and once you join one side you can't have another character on the server on another side (unless they do the PVE and PVP thing again..).

But it's very interesting to think about.

I'm a StarCraft fan and I WOULD play this.

border

Fallout-NL said:
You dont mean shit in an MMORPG if you dont plan on making a serious commitment to it.
Why is it so important to "mean shit" in the game, though? The people playing the game aren't doing it for status. Almost none of them are.

And yeah, you can't finish most instances in less than an hour, but I don't see why you've chosen to make "1-hour" the benchmark for what represents casual play.

Acosta

Ikael said:
Yeah, it is not as if they captured players of the already existing MMORPGs or anything.

Already existing MMOs? Everquest, UO, Asheron, DAoC and Lineage combined never reached to WoW numbers, where the other millons of players came from?

If Blizz makes this right it will grab the MMO public that is tired of Mediavel ages MMOs and find EVE boring. Although I'm kinda worried with being multi-platform.

Maxrpg said:
I'd honestly say that the current WoW model for Starcraft really can't work, or it'd have to work like RF Online - each side has their own side and once you join one side you can't have another character on the server on another side (unless they do the PVE and PVP thing again..).

Yeah I've been wondering how they're going to handle this, too. I don't see how they can do faction-based gameplay in Starcraft. I think the thing to do is to just have a Star Wars-ish universe where all of the races can mingle...go out into deep space on a PvP server, though, and you are free game. I'd much rather see region-based PvP rather than faction-based PvP in Starcraft.

Grecco

1.Lol at the people who thought it would be an RTS (Myself included ZOMG SELF PWNAGE)

2.Its pretty weird to do this since they would theoretically eat from their own 7million plus consumer base. I guess the announcement of Warhammer 20K MMORPG kinda forced their hands..

3.Ill still end up playing it. Protoss ftW! and to think ive been 5 months clean of Blizzs evil influence. :lol

Pimpbaa

Fallout-NL said:
You dont mean shit in an MMORPG if you dont plan on making a serious commitment to it. So yeah, you're better off not playing it if you wanna do it casually.

This is bullshit. I played WoW casually and had tons of fun with it. Having to make a serious commitment to it is a load of crap.

Acosta

Bah, I´m tired of this discussion. It´s exactly the same one in every thread here in GaF related to MMOs.

You know what? I´m going to log into WoW, going to spend an hour with my shitty non-important and non meaningful Warlock and have fun with it. You can keep posting how you need to put your soul and life on MMOs to be "meaningful" (AKA, being a bunch of big number in one server).

Death_Born said:
4yk19ow.jpg
My sentiments exactly.

rkenshin

Pimpbaa said:
This is bullshit. I played WoW casually and had tons of fun with it. Having to make a serious commitment to it is a load of crap.

But you won't get your money's worth if you don't play hardcore-style!

I kid.. But that's how my brother looks at it.. I'm not into WoW for fear I might turn into him

How are you gonna play as the Zergs? Are you gonna be one of those flying brain thing and control a few units? Have your own brood?

ZOMG, MMORTS confirmed!

border

Can somebody name one of these great games that does not require a lot of time to make yourself or your character "meaningful"?

You know, I'm sure the #1 ranked Halo/Counterstrike/Starcraft players only spend a couple hours a week playing....

Zzoram

chibcicylist said:
How are you gonna play as the Zergs? Are you gonna be one of those flying brain thing and control a few units? Have your own brood?

ZOMG, MMORTS confirmed!

Well the Zerg can evolve, so maybe instead of leveling up you evolve a better carapace or sharper claws or something.

rkenshin

Be funny if as an option for the Zergs when using Teamspeak, you can talk to your team and vocally sound like a Zerg and have subtitles stating what you really said..

Probably impossible to do giving voice recognition software that complex...

That's not the essence of the Zerg though. They are not individulas like the Protoss and the Terrans. It would suck if they do a copout and just have some zergling baby infest a Terran or a Protoss and have a humanoid looking Zerg and call it a day. ****ing Kerrigan ruined the awesomeness of the Zergs.

Pimpbaa said:

border said:
Why is it so important to "mean shit" in the game, though? The people playing the game aren't doing it for status. Almost none of them are.

And yeah, you can't finish most instances in less than an hour, but I don't see why you've chosen to make "1-hour" the benchmark for what represents casual play.

echoshifting said:
Oh give me a break.

You can compete in arenas for less than an hour a week.

Gear you can earn soloing, crafting, and in 5-man heroic dungeons is nearly as good as top-tier raid gear.

You can casually raid the first raid dungeon once or twice a week with your friends.

And if that's not enough for you, you can get the hell over yourself and play the game to have fun and hang out with friends instead of to 'matter' in a made-up online world. Seriously, the wording of your first post is kinda sad.

Teknopathetic said:
"You dont mean shit in an MMORPG if you dont plan on making a serious commitment to it. So yeah, you're better off not playing it if you wanna do it casually."

Why do you care if you're better than others? Do you expand this thought to other games?

It's pretty silly (and, also, immature!)

Immature huh? Bottom line is that if you want to get anywhere in this game, you need to be willing to spend a considerable amount of time with it. So bite me.

LAMBO

Too bad, i wanted a RTS. I'll never play a MMORPG.

Well if this one has a great space combat sim aspect to the game i might have to give it a try. That's not going to happen though.

Fallout-NL said:
Immature huh? Bottom line is that if you want to get anywhere in this game, you need to be willing to spend a considerable amount of time with it. So bite me.

However, that 'consderable amount of time' need not be over a condensed period.

An hour here, an hour there...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think its gonna be an action rpg game. its what starcraft ghost turned into

hopefully

cause i'd actually play that

but i dont wanna pay a monthly thing :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Pureauthor said:
However, that 'consderable amount of time' need not be over a condensed period.

An hour here, an hour there...
Pretty much. It's taken me two years and change but I've almost got one level 60! (I do cancel my subscription every now and again, too.)

Zzoram

chibcicylist said:
That's not the essence of the Zerg though. They are not individulas like the Protoss and the Terrans. It would suck if they do a copout and just have some zergling baby infest a Terran or a Protoss and have a humanoid looking Zerg and call it a day. ****ing Kerrigan ruined the awesomeness of the Zergs.

Maybe the Zerg players will always hear faint chatter of trillions of other Zerg minds in it's head (Borg style) but every now and then a louder voice, of a Cerebrate or Kerrigan will give commands or advice.

Also, maybe when more Zerg players are in a party and near each other, they could get some additional stat bonuses to encourage large swarms of a single type of Zerg unit, and have a larger party cap size for the Zerg.

Dina

Zzoram said:
Maybe the Zerg players will always hear faint chatter of trillions of other Zerg minds in it's head (Borg style) but every now and then a louder voice, of a Cerebrate or Kerrigan will give commands or advice.

The Overmind does not give advise.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
God I can just see the zerg players screaming now.

"Firebats are overpowered!"

7Th

badcrumble said:
If this is another MMORPG, worst thing ever.

If it is an MMORTS, best thing in the entire universe.

Pretty much, I want an RTS that doesn't places emphasis in the building order or micromanagement but rather on the battle tactics and this seems to have chances to be it.

Kusagari

Pimpbaa said:

You CANNOT see the best parts of WoW without basically giving your life to the game and committing hours upon hours at time. Sure you can play the MMORPG casually, but when you get to the level max your road ends. Even the easiest instances take hours at a time.

Shouta

Ideally, MMOs should provide content for both casual and hardcore play. For casuals, it's not about getting there (because they'll get there eventually) but having access to the content. I know that if I was a casual player, I would care more about being able to do something for endgame on casual time, no matter what it is. There aren't two many MMOs that cater to both for endgame. Only one that off the top of my head that I know did something for casual players is FFXI.

Ranger X

Expected. (if it's true)

Do you guys think there aren't preparing the next big blow for when WOW sales will go down? ('cause it will you know)

PolyGone

Banned
I don't see how an MMORPG set in the starcraft universe will be any different than one set in the warcraft universe, aside from aesthetics. :/

Spike

Honestly, who didn't see this coming? Did anyone seriously believe that they wouldn't build off their critical and commercial success with WoW, and instead go back to standard RTS fare, where they aren't able to collect a monthly subscription fee from users?

Everyone knew this was coming. It's all about the $$$, folks. Next Up: World of Diablo.

"You CANNOT see the best parts of WoW without basically giving your life to the game and committing hours upon hours at time. Sure you can play the MMORPG casually, but when you get to the level max your road ends. Even the easiest instances take hours at a time."

No, no no, no no. NO.

This is the wrong mindset. If you feel like there's no more content that you'd like to explore/re-explore within the confines of the free-time you'd like to give to the game, then yeah, quit.

However, if you're a casual hour-two a day, less than 4-5 hours or so a week player, then *who cares*. You still played the game for months before you reached the point you felt like there was no where to go. What's the big deal?

"Please make it play like Sacrifice, please."

I had this thought JUST before I read your post. A *great* idea. Starcraft purists would likely hate it, though.

SpokkX

what the crap.. another MMO from Blizzard?

why can´t they make a "real" game like Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 (or Ghost or whatever)

Top Bottom