• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources confirm Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have a level 16 player in WoW...it's pretty addictive game. I started playing on Wednesday. It's really fun if you get in a good group and just do some quests together.

Instances are really fun. I only have done one, but it's fun.

I don't know how they're gonna squeeze SC into the WoW model though.

PolyGone said:
I don't see how an MMORPG set in the starcraft universe will be any different than one set in the warcraft universe, aside from aesthetics. :/

I still dont see how anyone could think this.

If Blizzard thinks Im going to walk up to a hydralisk and start beating it with my machinegun, they're sorely mistaken.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Spike said:
Honestly, who didn't see this coming?

personally, i didn't. i prescribed to the idea that blizzard could continue to expand w.o.w. for the next ten years, and that another mmo would do nothing but split the user base.

if you make a starcraft rts, on the other hand, many of those same customers who pay month-to-month fees for world of warcraft also have plenty of time in-between to play starcraft 2. maybe there really are people who have time (and interest) enough to play w.o.w. and a starcraft mmo simultaneously, but they're certainly in the minority.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Well a new MMO wouldn't be coming down the pike for at least 3-4 years from now. Blizzard needs another product ready to catch those who are ready to leave WoW for newer titles.

Xavien

Personally, i don't think they could create a Starcraft 2 without creating disappointment, expectations are just too high for a sequel.

The only reasonable path? a change of genres; a change to something they have proven to be quite good at... MMORPGs.

Now, i would like a RTS as much as the next starcraft fan, but playing a mmorpg in the starcraft universe could be awesome, playing as a protoss, zerg or terran? sign me up!

Only as long as they let me pilot a terran/zerg/protoss ship between planets :)

And just when I was hoping Blizzard would go back to being Blizzard again (the Blizzard of the RTS games that made me call them my favorite game developer) and not just "another MMO company" like they've been becoming on the past couple of years... I hope that this rumor is wrong. Not that I dislike MMOs, but Blizzard's best games are its RTSes, not WoW...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Xavien said:
Personally, i don't think they could create a Starcraft 2 without creating disappointment, expectations are just too high for a sequel.

The only reasonable path? a change of genres; a change to something they have proven to be quite good at... MMORPGs.

Now, i would like a RTS as much as the next starcraft fan, but playing a mmorpg in the starcraft universe could be awesome, playing as a protoss, zerg or terran? sign me up!

Only as long as they let me pilot a terran/zerg/protoss ship between planets :)

That's so lame to me though. If they aren't going to TRY to top it, just give up? It just doesn't sit well with me. It's defeatist. I personally think they could top it. Imagine if all the other great artists, writers, etc. gave up after their masterworks. :(

from now on i will be called zerg-kun
i love diablo2 and starcraft so i hope WoS has more diablo mechanics as wow and some of the wow mechanics like the instances and reseting the skillpoints

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
world of starcraft would be a disappointment

it has to be Universe of StarCraft or (absolutely) no buy

Xamdou

I was expecting Star Craft 2 RTS... but damn Blizzard World Of Starcraft? I guess they are taking the grass is greener route =(

Xeke

Banned
starcraft.jpg

As we go on, we remember
All the times we had together
And as our lives change, from whatever
We will still be, friends forever

Indiancrying-734858.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, this is another goldmine for them. I really hope they won't be doing MMORPGs only in the future.

davepoobond said:
world of starcraft would be a disappointment

it has to be Universe of StarCraft or (absolutely) no buy

I'll be interested to see how they handle this. It's tough to make content spread across multiple 'worlds' actually feel like planets without making every zone in the game feel overly large and empty.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Xeke said:
As we go on, we remember
All the times we had together
And as our lives change, from whatever
We will still be, friends forever

i'll take with me the memories
to be my sunshine after the rain

Xeke

Banned
\m/etalStorm said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, this is another goldmine for them. I really hope they won't be doing MMORPGs only in the future.

Well I feel you'll be disappointed then.

Artanisix

Just curious, how reliable is CVG? I'm not too familiar with the site myself but if people can vouch for its reliability then I'd feel a little more at ease accepting this information.

Well, if this is true let's at least hope its not just a WoW clone (lol) with some new features and they at least advance the gameplay. Either way, a MMO set in the Starcraft universe is much more appealing to me than one in Warcraft. Space Marines > Elves. But if the gameplay/combat mechanics are too similar and don't deviate from the current standard MMO affair, I won't bother.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
If they are developing a new MMO who said they wouldn't make an RTS? There's nothing stopping Blizzard from creating two completely different products within the same IP. In fact it would be highly intelligent of them to do so. Release an RTS within a year from now then release an MMO 1 - 2 years afterwards while the IP is still fresh in the minds of many.

These are all guesses.

Helznicht

A "succesful" space MMO hasnt been done IMO. Its a race between the sure to come Wahammer 40K Online and Starcraft Online.

Pimpbaa said:
Blizzard's best games pre-WoW was the Diablo series :D

Diablo II was fun for two weeks (a week for the game, a week later on for the expansion), but then I finished it on Normal (in single player).

(that is: good game, but I never understood the interest in playing the game online... never interested me at all. Warcraft II, Starcraft, and Warcraft III though... so, so many hours spent playing those games online...)

Xeke

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
Diablo II was fun for two weeks (a week for the game, a week later on for the expansion), but then I finished it on Normal (in single player).

(that is: good game, but I never understood the interest in playing the game online... never interested me at all. Warcraft II, Starcraft, and Warcraft III though... so, so many hours spent playing those games online...)

Diablo II is about multiplayer not single player...Worldstone events and such. Uber-diablo.

I refuse to pay $15.00 a month to play a bastardization of my favorite franchise.

"A "succesful" space MMO hasnt been done IMO. Its a race between the sure to come Wahammer 40K Online and Starcraft Online."

Define successful? If you're thinking WoW, well, WoW is in its own bracket of success. Eve Online has been doing spectacularly when you factor in that it's an independant, mostly distributed digitally, fairly "hardcore" MMO, yet its considered very successful (Pre-WoW success numbers) and growing to boot.

1-D_FTW

Zaphod said:
I'll keep hope alive for a MMORTS but somehow I think its just going to be a reskinned WoW.

You're not the first person in this thread to say it, but I'm right there with you.

A reskinned WoW and I have no interest... like all the D&D inspired MMOs.

An MMORTS that completely reinvents the genre? I'd subscribe to something like that.

Hopefully Blizzard is smart enough to make them completely different games.

Xeke

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
You're not the first person in this thread to say it, but I'm right there with you.

A reskinned WoW and I have no interest... like all the D&D inspired MMOs.

An MMORTS that completely reinvents the genre? I'd subscribe to something like that.

Hopefully Blizzard is smart enough to make them completely different games.

Why would they when they can just reskin it and make millions more for little cost to them. WoW brought the end of Blizzard RTS games.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Hasn't this rumor come up every time Blizzard announces an announcement?

Ain't gonna lose sleep over this at all. At least, until the 19th.

Then I scream like a girl and kiss Blizzard goodbye.

g23

European pre-madonna
I really think this is some nasty bullshit. This would just kill WoW...their own game.

Top Bottom