• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources confirm Blizzard's new game: World of Starcraft

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Blizzard Entertainment announced World of Warcraft on September 2, 2001.[9] The game was released on November 23, 2004.

WoS is FAR off.

Mrbob

We can only hope Blizzard is announcing the revival of Starcraft, and not Universe of Starcraft (much more fitting than World of Starcraft).

Starcraft 2 = 2008
Starcraft 2 expansion = 2009
Universe of Starcraft = 2010

Berieve. :(

from old april fools day
932394_20060331_screen001.jpg

932394_20060331_screen002.jpg

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Blizzard Entertainment announced World of Warcraft on September 2, 2001.[9] The game was released on November 23, 2004.

WoS is FAR off.

But now they've established their MMO infrastructure. We'll see.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AdmiralViscen said:
But now they've established their MMO infrastructure. We'll see.

I think they probably want to delay it anyway. WoW is still growing, and they will probably release it right when WoW is slowly dying.

But, interestingly enough, if they differentiate the product well, they won't have to worry.

Mrbob

One of the producers from Cryptic studios (MMORPG company) had an interesting piece in the last Game Informer about the future of MMORPGs. He mentioned how World of Warcraft cost Blizzard around 50 to 70 million dollars to create (including all costs infrastructure and game development) and how they are pretty much the only company who has the ability to do this. Other developers want to make MMORPG games, and so do publishers after the massive success of WoW, publishers won't give them the kind of money they need to compete.

The advantage Blizzard has is they are able to self finance the whole project. Vivendi has little hold or little say to what Blizzard wants to do. To be honest I don't even know why they are still with Vivendi anymore. I guess they aren't big enough to self publish games.

So I guess with such a big initial investment, Blizzard wants to keep the money coming in. It isn't bad to look ahead either, as others have said it'll be years before this new MMO is out anyway.

as long as its not some filthy rpg that is " 100% GOTTA LVL UP!11 " And its more of a massive real time combat game like tabula rasa or planetside it would own ( 3rd or 1st person shooter)

It would actually work out if you think about it

1.Bases would be built by the high ranking players using the SCVs and drones ect

2.Those bases would all have to be run by a constant supply of resources managed by the NPCs or even players ( drones , SCVs )

3. Special base build requirments needed for zerg ( purple goo floor ) and protoss ( pylons ) to power buildings and defences

4. Unit producing buildings would act as spawn points and if they are damaged it will effect spawn times until they are repaired by workers ( if destroyed you cant spawn there )

5. Air battles ( omg i can only dream )

6. zerg rushes

7. NO FILTHY RPG CRAP

volmer

echoshifting said:
Wow, a successful game company 'milking' their game franchises and 'mechanics?' THOSE BASTARDS. Your post is ridiculous.
I never called them bastards, nor did I say it was wrong from a business perspective. I just think it makes their games less interesting that they are mostly blatant rehashes. Also, those capital letters hurt my feelings.

Xeke

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I think they probably want to delay it anyway. WoW is still growing, and they will probably release it right when WoW is slowly dying.

But, interestingly enough, if they differentiate the product well, they won't have to worry.

Except that a lot of the same crowd will buy this game and I don't see them really wanting to pay $30 a month for 2 games...So they'll pick one or the other.

1-D_FTW

Mrbob said:
One of the producers from Cryptic studios (MMORPG company) had an interesting piece in the last Game Informer about the future of MMORPGs. He mentioned how World of Warcraft cost Blizzard around 50 to 70 million dollars to create (including all costs infrastructure and game development) and how they are pretty much the only company who has the ability to do this. Other developers want to make MMORPG games, and so do publishers after the massive success of WoW, publishers won't give them the kind of money they need to compete.

The advantage Blizzard has is they are able to self finance the whole project. Vivendi has little hold or little say to what Blizzard wants to do. To be honest I don't even know why they are still with Vivendi anymore. I guess they aren't big enough to self publish games.

So I guess with such a big initial investment, Blizzard wants to keep the money coming in. It isn't bad to look ahead either, as others have said it'll be years before this new MMO is out anyway.

I was under the impression Vivendi owned Blizzard? Is this wrong?

I hope this "news" gets debunked quickly. I ****ing hate MMOs and the freaks that play them.

Gimme Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Or better yet, something new and exciting. How about that for a change?

1-D_FTW said:
I was under the impression Vivendi owned Blizzard? Is this wrong?

Yeah, Blizzard has had one corporate owner or another since 1994, and the current one is Vivendi.

Xeke said:
Diablo II is about multiplayer not single player...Worldstone events and such. Uber-diablo.

I refuse to pay $15.00 a month to play a bastardization of my favorite franchise.

I know a lot of people felt that way about Diablo II, but I never did at all. I've beaten the game, why should I want to run around very similar maps for the sole purpose of levelling up and getting items? I like to play games to actually accomplish something, not just "to get more stuff"... and it's not like the online mode really requires any teamwork for the most part, since the game was designed as a solo affair. It's just some people wandering around in different parts of the world doing whatever, really... I did play a bit into Hard mode, but got bored and stopped. Great single player game while it lasted, but every time I tried to create a multiplayer character I got bored really quickly and then it got deleted for not using it for three months.

If it is indeed a Starcraft MMO, then I can only say "Toldya so!"

Check my post history for the link please :) I also gave the reasons for it (and, again, if this is true, all my reasons were 100% true and realistically so).

Personally...I'd have loved a Starcraft 2 that lead into World of Starcraft, much like how War3:TFT lead into WoW.

Xeke

Banned
I know a lot of people felt that way about Diablo II, but I never did at all. I've beaten the game, why should I want to run around very similar maps for the sole purpose of levelling up and getting items? I like to play games to actually accomplish something, not just "to get more stuff"... and it's not like the online mode really requires any teamwork for the most part, since the game was designed as a solo affair. It's just some people wandering around in different parts of the world doing whatever, really... I did play a bit into Hard mode, but got bored and stopped. Great single player game while it lasted, but every time I tried to create a multiplayer character I got bored really quickly and then it got deleted for not using it for three months.

I hope you didn't pay full price for it because the single player was not worth the original price.

Dolphin

Banned
I do not play MMOs, and I do not pay for videogames by the month. I play Starcraft, and I played the Warcraft series. I have no need for a second life, I play videogames for fun, not accomplishment. I want Starcraft 2, not a Starcraft themed MMO. I can't be the only member of the vast Starcraft fanbase that feels this way. We got Warcraft 3 before WoW, give us Starcraft 2 before WoS.

I despise MMOs.

Xeke

Banned
Dolphin said:
I do not play MMOs, and I do not pay for videogames by the month. I play Starcraft, and I played the Warcraft series. I have no need for a second life, I play videogames for fun, not accomplishment. I want Starcraft 2, not a Starcraft themed MMO. I can't be the only member of the vast Starcraft fanbase that feels this way. We got Warcraft 3 before WoW, give us Starcraft 2 before WoS.

I despise MMOs.

I agree completely. I've never played a game for a sense of accomplishment. I want to be able to Zerg rush! Dammit.

Mrbob said:
To be honest I don't even know why they are still with Vivendi anymore. I guess they aren't big enough to self publish games.

Vivendi owns Blizzard 100%. For Blizzard to go independent, they would have to find external investors to cough up a huge amount of money for a management buy-out of sorts. And probably Vivendi wouldn't sell Blizzard at any price, anyway.

Xeke said:
I hope you didn't pay full price for it because the single player was not worth the original price.

I got it as a gift, actually, but bought the expansion. And yes, I think it would have been worth it had I paid for it myself... I probably wouldn't have, since I was much more a strategy game fan than RPG, but if I had I wouldn't have been wasting my money. The only problem with the single player game is length, and plenty of games are short...

Mrbob

BrokenSymmetry said:
Vivendi owns Blizzard 100%. For Blizzard to go independent, they would have to find external investors to cough up a huge amount of money for a management buy-out of sorts. And probably Vivendi wouldn't sell Blizzard at any price, anyway.

Vivendi owns Blizzard? Really? Damn why is Vivendi as a company not floating in the clouds then in terms of profits.

DieH@rd said:
Damn. I want RTS.

Korea wants RTS.

In South Korea, Starcraft is almost like baseball in the Us or soccer in Germany, ok maybe not that big, but with televised matches etc. Starcraft is widley known there.
So announcing a Starcraft MMO would make sense, at least from a marketing point of view. Blizzard hopes that all of South Korea gets hyped for the universe, wich they just know as some kind of sport.

And i'am sure pro-gamers there want a Starcraft 2 too, like all serious gamers. There are just too many MMO's out there. Blizzard would leave alot of people behind, if they do WoS instead of Starcraft 2, if they do both i'am fine though.

SpokkX

Spruce Moose said:
I hope this "news" gets debunked quickly. I ****ing hate MMOs and the freaks that play them.
Gimme Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Or better yet, something new and exciting. How about that for a change?

Amen :)

Grecco

BTW, This game has been rumored for ages and Blizz has more experience in the MMO Market.

Im not so sure its gonna take that long for this game to come out... 2008 at the latest...

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I really do want a StarCraft sequel in RTS form. Not that I don't think a MMO game wouldn't be good or that it wouldn't be fun, but its just that I don't have the time (or money [lol poor college student]) to invest into a MMO game to actually make it worthwhile for me.

Ravager61

This is going to be awesome. I highly doubt its going to have very many similarities to WoW since that would just be a bad business decision. I expect a great MMORTS or MMOFPS.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Xeke said:
Except that a lot of the same crowd will buy this game and I don't see them really wanting to pay $30 a month for 2 games...So they'll pick one or the other.

No, they will pay the $30/month and be happy doing it. 2 games that you're absolutely hooked on is still half the cost of a new game. To people like that, it's saving them money.

Pimpbaa

Xeke said:

Oh hell yeah it was. I played through that game solo many times.

mckmas8808 said:
Can somebody explain to me why this is so bad?

Most of the people who frequent this board hate MMOs and wish they were doing something else with the license. You have to keep in mind that the whole MMO 'thing' doesn't mesh well with the average GAF lurker: if you play them you won't have time for many other games, and they are rewarding in ways that differ greatly from most games.

Top Bottom