• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is confirmed for TGS

SJRB

Gold Member
Sony will be using TGS to powerbomb their PS4 one final time before release, it would be suicide for Microsoft to NOT do anything there.

The irony of Microsoft pushing their console for western markets in an Asian tradeshow that won't be getting the console for another year is pretty... remarkable.

Rolf NB

Public apology to Cave, officially releasing them back into freedom before stepping onto the last boat to the western realm.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
That makes the most sense. I can't imagine MS waiting a year after the US/EU release to launch it in Japan.

Same. Couldn't they come out and be like "Oh and one more thing" January 2014! or something. Just because there seems to be no good reason for them to go, or at least have a big presence, if not?

starmud

if they have some surprises and actually make a push for japan, kudos.

this thing screams worse than 360 sized japan bomb.

I'm pretty sure Capcom and Square-Enix would prefer to promote their games on the platform that will actually make them money in their own country.

FFXV and KH3 will probably not even be released for Xbone in Japan.

This. At least I would hope so after what I hope they have learned from last gen and the lack of difference it made for the 360 and how far behind it seemed to put them on the PS3.

I liked a lot of the 360's Japanese games they threw money at, but let's be real—those games didn't do shit for the 360, in Japan or elsewhere.

I hope they don't manage that again (if they grab a few multi fine), not only did those games die but they almost took franchises with them (Last Remnant was supposed to be a franchise, etc.), and it took a few years for the Japanese devs to finally make their way back like Namco, which looks like they're finally starting to get moving again with the Tales games.

Fox Mulder

Maybe they'll do a surprise announcement that they will launch in Japan as well, this year.

That would be sure to make the audience go wild.

Would it?

How many consoles did they even sell in Japan? Announcing a secret 2013 launch would probably just come off as quietly as the $499 price announcement at e3.

I'm pretty sure Capcom and Square-Enix would prefer to promote their games on the platform that will actually make them money in their own country.

Eh, they'll go where there is money offered.
MS will be throwing money at publishers to try and appear relevant there.

hmmm....they def have something planned...metal gear exclusive stuff? FF stuff? Try to show kingdom hearts exclusive trailer? New IP?

Japanese moneyhatting?

Definitely.

They won't go as far as getting all those exclusives like last time (BD/LO/IU/SO4) but instead they'll moneyhat exclusive DLC and have the trailers/gameplay demo exposure at their conference.

daebo

LO2.

Buy Atlus since they seem to be having issues.

Exclusive content from Nippon Ichi - maybe the next evolution of Disgaea - push that franchise forward.

New Idol master exclusive.

Shenmue 3.

That would be a good TGS.

Eh, they'll go where there is money offered.
MS will be throwing money at publishers to try and appear relevant there.

They already saw them though thanks to E3, they know FFXV and KH3 are PS4 titles.

Agreed on the second part. Will be interesting to see which publishers are willing to take the risk after taking the money proved so risky for them last gen. I could definitely see Capcom playing up Dead Rising again or a multiplat title.

Jomjom

Banned
Gross I really hope they don't go and moneyhat exclusives that would have been multi-plat otherwise. I mean Japanese gamers hate them enough already.

jtb

Banned

Japanese developers have been chasing after the western market (on consoles anyways) for a while. Wasn't FFXIII not even released on 360 in Japan? no one cared because no one expected it to sell anything anyways.

LO2.

Buy Atlus since they seem to be having issues.

Exclusive content from Nippon Ichi - maybe the next evolution of Disgaea - push that franchise forward.

That would be a good TGS.

LOL I don't think either Atlus or NIS would risk that with their niche titles, they and Gust were the first JRPG devs on the PS3 (especially NIS).

Microsoft never have any hope of dominating at all in Japan, all they can try and do is take some attention away from Sony's alternative - the best way to do this is get exclusivity over the niche titles that have real hardcore appeal and to basically wave their arms saying 'hey look at all these trailers for games you can get on our platform', regardless of whether they're multiplatform or not.

They'll probably surprise a lot of people with the sort of stuff they'll acquire.

jbug617

Banned
The tweet sounds like just Major Nelson will be there for TGS, not that MS would have a whole shindig there.

He would not go to TGS if Microsoft has no presence at TGS. It could be something simple as a booth but I think they will have announcements. I think Microsoft Studios Osaka is probably going to be the big announcement and who is heading that over there.

Akira

Ouya-style Ramen Stall presence at the TGS parking lot?

7697620452_59bb26a79e_z.jpg

daebo

That's one of the things I never understood about MS. With their barrels and barrels of money why didn't they at least try and get the niche titles? I can't imagine it would have cost that much - and in the grand scheme of things, they would have a greater library of games. but oh well.

ari

Banned
I think Japanese support will be surprisingly solid from the get go this time around. Ff15, kh3, D4, MG's 5 and panzer dragoon are the indicators.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Microsoft never have any hope of dominating at all in Japan, all they can try and do is take some attention away from Sony's alternative - the best way to do this is get exclusivity over the niche titles that have real hardcore appeal and to basically wave their arms saying 'hey look at all these trailers for games you can get on our platform', regardless of whether they're multiplatform or not.

They'll probably surprise a lot of people with the sort of stuff they'll acquire.

Even then their DRM policies insure it's dead in the water there. Used games are huge in japan.

I think Japanese support will be surprisingly solid from the get go this time around. Ff15, kh3, D4, MG's 5 and panzer dragoon are the indicators.

Yeah, but whether TGS serves simply to reiterate that existing support (and an earlier launch of the system in Japan) or whether they go that extra mile and reveal even more support (including exclusives) remains to be seen.

Proelite

Kinect 2 adult hentai games where you can talk to and touch virtual girls.

It's sooooo easy to win over Japan MS.

bloke

Phil Spencer already confirmed they'll be at TGS in that gamespot interview

"There are other means like Gamescom [and] TGS coming that will still continue to put a value [proposition] on what we're bringing to market,"
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-responds-to-xbox-one-backlash-this-isnt-a-sprint-6409849/

And apparently MS execs told gamewatch reporter that XBO is coming later this year in Japan, just not in Novemeber ...so December?

なお、マイクロソフト本社で開催されたXbox Oneの発表イベントでは、日本でも年内に発売するとの力強いコメントが同社幹部から得られていたが、日本マイクロソフトから正式なニュースリリースが発行され、11月の世界同時発売には日本が含まれないことが確認された。しかし、発売そのものはされる予定である。
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/avt/20130614_603667.html

Also japanese Forza 5 page is up. http://forzamotorsport.net/ja-JP/FM5/Default.aspx

Top Bottom