• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is confirmed for TGS

Biker19

Banned
I will be furious if Microsoft has money hatted some Japanese devs. They ruined the first half of last gen for me by making X360 region locked, then money hatting all the JRPG projects.

I honestly doubt that most Japanese 3rd party publishers will fall for it like they did for Xbox 360. They want PS4 sales as well.

Really? Why? Aren't they leaving East Asia until some time in late 2014? Seems like an odd appearance, but maybe they're going to take every chance they can get to change their imagine between now and launch.

Really? Why? Aren't they leaving East Asia until some time in late 2014? Seems like an odd appearance, but maybe they're going to take every chance they can get to change their imagine between now and launch.

Says who? They are launching November, and NONE of Asia is getting launched there, yet Japan will magically fit in during December?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63764351&postcount=171

Again Microsoft Japan is not part of Microsoft Asia ,it's from official source they're trying release Japan version this year

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/avt/20130614_603667.html

Phil Spencer already confirmed they'll be at TGS in that gamespot interview

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/microsoft-responds-to-xbox-one-backlash-this-isnt-a-sprint-6409849/

And apparently MS execs told gamewatch reporter that XBO is coming later this year in Japan, just not in Novemeber ...so December?

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/avt/20130614_603667.html

Also japanese Forza 5 page is up. http://forzamotorsport.net/ja-JP/FM5/Default.aspx

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I honestly doubt that most Japanese 3rd party publishers will fall for it like they did for Xbox 360. They want PS4 sales as well.

The biggest reason they jumped on the 360 was the year head start. That won't be the case this time.

RyudBoy

I never played Lost Odyssey because of the stupid looking main character with the strand of curly hair dangling from his forehead. True Story.

It had more to do with frame rate and loading issues(and multiple DVDs) that I read about. Would give a sequel on X1 a try.

The biggest reason they jumped on the 360 was the year head start. That won't be the case this time.

That may be true for some, but for many they jumped on for Microsoft's money, by their own admission.

Mistwalker and Tri-Ace (among others) worked on Microsoft Studios owned IPs, for example.

That said, it's not clear if Microsoft will go to the same extent with third parties this time round. I expect a few moneyhats, but I presume the reason they set up MS Osaka for first party Japanese games was to wean off dependency on that. We'll see at TGS, I suppose.

I never played Lost Odyssey because of the stupid looking main character with the strand of curly hair dangling from his forehead. True Story.

You missed out on the best JRPG of the generation. True Story.

An emotional rollercoaster ride and loads of fun too.

Proelite

They can concentrate on making traditional JRPGS and niche Japanese titles that third party Japanese devs on the ps4 possibly won't be making in the next gen due to their world wide focus. Lots of Kinect enabled dating/sim games, pure traditional jrpgs etc. They should try to re-establish userbase of 1-2 million with a steady stream of "cult" titles and work from there.

More importantly, they should lock up Japanese developers by paying them US salaries and benefits. There is NO shortage of talent there.

Biker19

Banned
They can concentrate on making traditional JRPGS and niche Japanese titles that third party Japanese devs on the ps4 possibly won't be making in the next gen due to their world wide focus. Lots of Kinect enabled dating/sim games, pure traditional jrpgs etc. They should try to re-establish userbase of 1-2 million with a steady stream of "cult" titles and work from there.

More importantly, they should lock up Japanese developers by paying them US salaries and benefits. There is NO shortage of talent there.

I don't know about that. Most JRPG's didn't even sell on Xbox 360, while they did for PS3. This is why Namco made Tales of Xillia 1 & 2 as well as the Symphonia HD remake PS3 exclusive after porting both Tales of Graces from Wii & Tales of Vesperia from 360 to PS3 & seeing more sales numbers from those on PS3, because there's more of an audience for the Tales series on PS3 than 360 or Wii.

That's so cute Microsoft. Wait, what? You're serious?

hyde-laughing-o.gif

Acosta

The system is DOA in Japan, they should save that money, it will sell less than the original Xbox.

To elaborate a bit more:

-Awful situation for traditional consoles.
-It won't benefit from a year without competition, its main rival will release before.
-Too big and mandatory kinect with will make it a hassle to install.
-No second hand, big lol in Japan.

Saying is hopeless is being kind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Why would you assume that they "fell for it" -- rather than made a rational business decision of sacrificing short-term unit sales for development assistance, a break on license fees, marketing assistance, ease of being able to focus in on one platform, and yes maybe even cash.

And then when the PS3 picked up and time passed, fewer developers stayed 360 exclusive and more ported their previous exclusives.

I don't think Xbox One is in a good position in Japan but if Microsoft wants to invest in developers to get them on-board, I don't think they should make a stand on principles to avoid it. I think they should weight the offer carefully.

Top Bottom