• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Dragona Akehi said:
If you don't know where the numbers come from, I wouldn't post it for fear of being ioi's bannable ones. The numbers in the original link's look a little iffy off the top of my head...

Those are pretty much correct. They're rounded (up) inconsistently, is all.

fernoca said:
Again, we have to remember:

SPIDER-MAN 3 WAS RELEASED ON MAY 3RD

The charts are from April, which means that the few SM3 sales that made it to the top 10 are mostly from preorders..

The Wii version was confirmed at 36,000 copies sold in those charts from April (by IGN)...which is not bad at all, consisiting merely in preorders.
NPD tracks sales, it does not track preorders.

I think one possible issue with people thinking third parties won't do well on Wii is the gap between their sales and Nintendo's. That doesn't necessarily mean failure, though. There haven't been many big third party games yet (I would say only Red Steel and Sonic), but the sales have still been pretty big. About in line with what I would expect from these games this early in a system's life.

Busaiku

Has Atlus really announced anything besides PS2/DS stuff anyways?
I'd be surprised if they didn't support Wii, considering the sales of Trauma Center.

Meier

teruterubozu said:
Gamespot says 53,000 for Tiger Woods - that's bad.

Doesn't that put its total sales somewhere around 170k? It's not like Tiger Woods is a title that sells THAT many copies, especially on something over than PS2 with a 40+ million installed base. It'll probably have some fairly decent legs and make its way past 300k or so for the Wii version which I'd imagine they'd have to be pleased with.

AniHawk

Meier said:
Doesn't that put its total sales somewhere around 170k? It's not like Tiger Woods is a title that sells THAT many copies, especially on something over than PS2 with a 40+ million installed base. It'll probably have some fairly decent legs and make its way past 300k or so for the Wii version which I'd imagine they'd have to be pleased with.

It's pretty good for such a late port, too.

Deku

Banned
Meier said:

Yes it sold ~120k in March.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think if MSFT wants maximum first month sales of Halo 3, they are going to need to drop the 360's price at least $50 ($100 would be smarter) in August or late July to spark a good amount of console sales early, drive some software revenue in that month/2 month period and then have Halo 3 come out in September, selling many consoles and many copies of the game.

the 360 sales are really lacking, not PS3 bad, but they could be as high as the Wii sales if they would do something about the price.

fernoca

Bungalow Bob said:
NPD tracks sales, it does not track preorders.
I explained it before...
Most of the numbers from the sales that NPD tracked in that "April" chart, came from people that preordered the game and went to pick it up during the midnight openings and the May 3rd release of Spider-Man 3.

AlteredBeast said:
I think if MSFT wants maximum first month sales of Halo 3, they are going to need to drop the 360's price at least $50 ($100 would be smarter) in August or late July to spark a good amount of console sales early, drive some software revenue in that month/2 month period and then have Halo 3 come out in September, selling many consoles and many copies of the game.

the 360 sales are really lacking, not PS3 bad, but they could be as high as the Wii sales if they would do something about the price.

That would be smart if Microsoft wanted to appeal to fanboys but they don't, they want to start showing some profit in the gaming division. Lowering your price right before a major high-demand game hits greatly reduces profit.

The reason for this is because with any price change there are two factors that affect the change in profit. A sales effect (the change in sales x price) and a price effect (the change in price times units).

Let x be the number of purchasers of Halo and a 360 console the day it is released. Let's also assume that each unit sold will be the 400$ bundle. profit in this case = 400x.

Now with a 50$ price drop there will be a new number of purchasers y.
profit in this case = 350y.

In order for your price drop to be a better decision for microsoft fiscally y must be about 14% larger than x. For a product that will be very price-inelastic, this seems relatively improbable.

Earthstrike said:
That would be smart if Microsoft wanted to appeal to fanboys but they don't, they want to start showing some profit in the gaming division. Lowering your price right before a major high-demand game hits greatly reduces profit.

The reason for this is because with any price change there are two factors that affect the change in profit. A sales effect (the change in sales x price) and a price effect (the change in price times units).

Let x be the number of purchasers of Halo and a 360 console the day it is released. Let's also assume that each unit sold will be the 400$ bundle. profit in this case = 400x.

Now with a 50$ price drop there will be a new number of purchasers y.
profit in this case = 350y.

In order for your price drop to be a better decision for microsoft fiscally y must be about 14% larger than x. For a product that will be very price-inelastic, this seems relatively improbable.

Too simple of an evaluation, but close. What if the 360 cost $350 to produce and put on shelves? $375? You want to compare profits gained off a product, not revenues (you mislabeled profits).

Deku

Banned
Busaiku said:
Has Atlus really announced anything besides PS2/DS stuff anyways?
I'd be surprised if they didn't support Wii, considering the sales of Trauma Center.
:lol If you really track sales figures you better check your figures again.

d[-_-]b

Banned
This thread delivered on some many levels of fun, from denial of fanboys to amazing gifs :D. NPD you've become my favorite pastime :D.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Deku said:
:lol If you really track sales figures you better check your figures again.

This statement was correct. He was trying to say that Trauma Center sold really well so Atlus is probably making more games for the Wii.

Deku

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
This statement was correct. He was trying to say that Trauma Center sold really well so Atlus is probably making more games for the Wii.

Damn misread the whole thing. Apologies.

R-User!

super funk said:
If you strike Nintendo down they will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.

Nintendo = Obi-Wan Kenobi?!?!? o_0

NINTENDOBI-WAN KENOBI: The NPD is what gives a GAFi his power. It's a source of data created by all living gamers. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the internets together.

too ****ing cool!

d[-_-]b

Banned
us_console_sales_infendobar.jpg

Updated Anihawk style:
4ysoosj.jpg

milanbaros

Member?
:lol :lol I think the xbox was able to avoid the ****ed staus in the US. I think it was on the line which I reckon is about 3.4m a year.

d[-_-]b

Banned
milanbaros said:
:lol :lol I think the xbox was able to avoid the ****ed staus in the US. I think it was on the line which I reckon is about 3.4m a year.
Well I thought the graph represented the future for each console :D, thats why I added the Xbox under the line cause it got dominated by the PS2 like the GC.

d[-_-]b said:
Well I thought the graph represented the future for each console :D, thats why I added the Xbox under the line cause it got dominated by the PS2 like the GC.

I think it might be better if you added more qualifiers for each tier.

legend166

AniHawk said:
It's pretty good for such a late port, too.

That's what I was going to say.

I've seen a few people mention how the sales of Tiger Woods Wii aren't that great. But people seem to be forgetting that the game came out 4 months earlier on basically every other platform. I really think that if they release it this year at the same time as the 360/PS3/PS2 versions, you'll see some strong sales. In fact, it might be the best selling version.

I really can't think of a 3rd party exclusive that has sold bad on the Wii so far. Except for SSX Blur, and even then, it had no advertising and isn't an all new game.

legend166 said:
That's what I was going to say.

I've seen a few people mention how the sales of Tiger Woods Wii aren't that great. But people seem to be forgetting that the game came out 4 months earlier on basically every other platform. I really think that if they release it this year at the same time as the 360/PS3/PS2 versions, you'll see some strong sales. In fact, it might be the best selling version..
The EA marketing dept. would be retarded not to choose the Wii version as lead platform for their advert campaign.
They could probably get away with using the HD footage and the Wii controls with a small disclaimer. Though Ofcom did penalise some war game in the UK recently and games now have to have "not actual gameplay footage" if appropriate. Perhaps we will have "graphics on platforms may vary" for the big multiplatform releases.

Eteric Rice

test_account said:
I just read that NDP numbers doesnt include Wal-Mart, is that true?

Yes, and no, I think. Supposedly, they have an estimate on how much Wal-Mart usually sells, and that's added in.

I THINK...

Deku

Banned
test_account said:
I just read that NDP numbers doesnt include Wal-Mart, is that true?

Tracking doesn't include WM, but NPD account for it in their models by extrapolating what they think WM numbers might be. It does present the case where the numbers they publish could be very different from the actual sell through just because WM stores as a whole may sell certain products at a better or worse ratio than the rest of the market and NPD didn't know to account for it.

Gamespot says that Atlus is working on a Shin Megami Tensai PS3 title. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/shinmegamitensei/index.html)

I think they might be kicking themselves right now seeing most of their titles are very niche, even in Japan. Couple that with the dead PS3 and the associated cost of developing for the system. Hopefully, it's just a PSN title, or they are thinking of porting it to the 360 at the very least.

The news is old though(Sept 2005), and nobody seems to know the status of the project so they could very well have changed plans/platforms or canceled it.

And why is everyone saying that Tiger Woods Wii did poorly??? 170k for a port-me-up is more than decent. It could easilly reach 400k WW since it seems to be quite popular in Europe, especially in the UK.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ok, so NPD estimate Wal-Mart sales so overall numbers can in reality be quite different? If so, i wonder how good they estimate the WM numbers and what they base them on.

test_account said:
Ok, so NPD estimate Wal-Mart sales so overall numbers can in reality be quite different? If so, i wonder how good they estimate the WM numbers and what they base them on.
They estimate on everything. They don't go to every store at the point of sale to count each and every single units sold. They use a small but statistically significant sample and extrapolate from that.

Media Create does it. Famitsu does it. Chart Track does it. In fact, every single tracking firm does it. And companies, including Nintendo, Microsoft, and probably most third parties pay good money for that data.

That's how I understand it anyway.

milanbaros

Member?
titiklabingapat said:
They estimate on everything. They don't go to every store at the point of sale to count each and every single units sold. They use a small but statistically significant sample and extrapolate from that.

Media Create does it. Famitsu does it. Chart Track does it. In fact, every single tracking firm does it. And companies, including Nintendo, Microsoft, and probably most third parties pay good money for that data.

I always assumed Nintendo and Microsoft wouldn't pay for it because they know how much money they received from selling their consoles to stores and selling software. I thought it was more for 3rd parties because they want to know how well particular games sell on a platform and how big a userbase a particular platform has. Nintendo doesn't need to know because they have that info already.

Wait...just thought, Nintendo might want to know how well other platforms are doing.

milanbaros said:
I always assumed Nintendo and Microsoft wouldn't pay for it because they know how much money they received from selling their consoles to stores and selling software. I thought it was more for 3rd parties because they want to know how well particular games sell on a platform and how big a userbase a particular platform has. Nintendo doesn't need to know because they have that info already.

Wait...just thought, Nintendo might want to know how well other platforms are doing.

I reckon they probably get more data than what we get. Probably the sale of every game, trends in software and accessory sales and other details and analysis.

Though I must admit, I really wasn't sure if Nintendo or Microsoft buys the data.

That PS3 SMT title has never been mentioned in public by Atlus themselves. It is only known from a list of upcoming games distributed by Sony at TGS 2005, very similar to the situation of how Devil May Cry PSP was announced.

Given how busy Atlus R&D1 was last year, releasing three console games, I doubt they were far into PS3 development by the time the market started to change. At that point they had probably just been doing hardware experiments at most.

As one of the few people in the world who liked Maken X my dream is that they're doing a first person action/adventure Wii game, but I would still buy a PS3 SMT4 on the day of release.
Even though I probably wouldn't own a PS3 until a while afterwards.

nli10

titiklabingapat said:
I reckon they probably get more data than what we get. Probably the sale of every game, trends in software and accessory sales and other details and analysis.

Though I must admit, I really wasn't sure if Nintendo or Microsoft buys the data.

It's worth platform holders buying the data just to see the %age split of 3rd party games so they know which sell better on their console. They can then better target the marketting to gain marketshare %.

Zynx

nli10 said:
It's worth platform holders buying the data just to see the %age split of 3rd party games so they know which sell better on their console. They can then better target the marketting to gain marketshare %.
They don't need that either - unless they want to know sellthrough vs sold to retail. Since platform holders manufacture the actual games themselves (discs, boxes, ds cards, whatever).

jimbo

Banned
Holy cow reactions everywhere.

Wii: Wow. I am truly surprised Nintendo was able to ship that many systems. That's pretty amazing, because there's was so little buzz of this happening. It's like everyone bought a ton, but all kept it on the DL.

360: Seems like it was hurt quite a bit by the Elite in the begining of the month, and then they didn't ship enouh during the last week, to make up the difference. Dissapointed, but I guess this means a lot of Elite sales should show up on the May NPD. Or like some have hinted, MS may have just raised the price of the 360 and everyone now will only buy an Elite. I hope that's not the case for their sake.

PS3: Not surprised, but as has been stated in Japan, dipping below that psychological barrier of 100k in the US is just like dipping below 10k in Japan it has to be pretty disconcerning to Sony. I won't say there's no way to spin this, because Sony has proven me wrong the last time I said that. They'll find some way.

jimbo said:
I won't say there's no way to spin this, because Sony has proven me wrong the last time I said that. They'll find some way.

Nope. Their PR was completely rote and by-the-numbers. It didn't even warrant its own thread on NeoGAF. :(

titiklabingapat said:

You understand it very wrong. NPD gets data from 60-65% of retailers in the industry (Wal-Mart being the big holdout, although up until 2002 they were in NPD). They get complete exports from the retailers POS systems and allows for them to extrapolate the remaining 35-40% of retailers.

Media Create has a much higher percentage as does Charttrack (both over 90%, iirc)

AlteredBeast said:
I think if MSFT wants maximum first month sales of Halo 3, they are going to need to drop the 360's price at least $50 ($100 would be smarter) in August or late July to spark a good amount of console sales early, .

They want maximum profits, not maximum sales.

sonycowboy said:
You understand it very wrong. NPD gets data from 60-65% of retailers in the industry (Wal-Mart being the big holdout, although up until 2002 they were in NPD). They get complete exports from the retailers POS systems and allows for them to extrapolate the remaining 35-40% of retailers.

Does NPD get any info from online retailers like Amazon & ebgames.com?

jimbo

Banned
I swear every ****ing month, someone mentions the Wal-mart crap and questions NPD. Every. F******. Month.

I propose a ban for anyone that brings this up every again in NPD threads.

They are VERY RELIABLE and have been for years. PERIOD.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Saint Gregory said:
He looked over and saw the Wii display in the window and told me he really wants to get one but $250 is too expensive for a game machine. I kid you not.

I believe it, I have a friend who is into gaming and just got a DS.

She wants a Wii but says it is too expensive. I asked her what is a good price. She responded "I think $150 is reasonable but anything above that is too expensive."

Flakster99

jimbo said:
I swear every ****ing month, someone mentions the Wal-mart crap and questions NPD. Every. F******. Month.

I propose a ban for anyone that brings this up every again in NPD threads.

They are VERY RELIABLE and have been for years. PERIOD.

Easy there chief. New members and all that, don't need to be a prick about it. :)

Evlar

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I believe it, I have a friend who is into gaming and just got a DS.

She wants a Wii but says it is too expensive. I asked her what is a good price. She responded "I think $150 is reasonable but anything above that is too expensive."
Doesn't surprise me at all. And I think the standard price of games is a major barrier too.

datruth29

sonycowboy said:

Media Create has a much higher percentage as does Charttrack (both over 90%, iirc)
I've been wondering as to why Walmart doesn't give NPD sales data for a while now. Does anybody know? Was it a deal that didn't go through, or is it just Walmart not wanting to do it.

datruth29 said:
I've been wondering as to why Walmart doesn't give NPD sales data for a while now. Does anybody know? Was it a deal that didn't go through, or is it just Walmart not wanting to do it.

Walmart can pretty much do whatever they want.

Hunter D

sprocket said:
As long as none of the REAL games goes to the Wii I will be alright. :lol
Good thing you got a 360.:D

Seriously, I feel sorry for sony. I blame their current situation on poor people. They should be working two jobs to purchase a PS3. If they can't work two jobs they should live on a budget until they are able to get one. They could go on a cup of noodles diet, go without electric, or just steal the internet for their neighboors.

Top Bottom