• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 1.80 Announced (PSX/PS2/DVD Upscaling, DNLA streaming, BLU-RAY 720p!!!!)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mrbob said:
Full Range HDMI wow, just turned it on. o_O

*turns it on*

HOLY ****ING SHIT!

This Full Range HDMI thing new? Old? If old, how did I miss this?!?!

Edit: Ah dammit, looks like it resets after turning the system off or playing PS2 games. It still says "Full" but it'll be like it was still "Limited" so you have to go back in and reset it.

I popped in FFX, watched the opening 'campfire' title screen, and felt my jaw drop. 1080p Full Screen upscaling with the smoother on... wow. Absolutely beautiful.
Silent Hill 2 looked wonderful, as well.

I tried watching Batman Begins with the DVD upscaled, but couldn't tell much of a difference.

I just don't get it, how do I get the streaming thing to work. I treid both TVersity and Twonky and I get nothing. I have them both installed and running(I think), what else do I have to do to get them to work? This is the most sought after feature for me so I'm really eager to get it working.

Cassano said:
When I turn off the PS3 then turn it back on, I have to re-enable it. The setting says Full, but I have to set it back to Limited, then set it to back Full again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yes happens to me too.

Weird!

Bebpo

Banned
Limited HDMI

ninja004.jpg

Full Range HDMI

ninja007.jpg

@720p on an XBR960 CRT

Full Range has darker blacks and the colors are stronger. It's not a huge diffence but it's definitely noticable.

And man, the opening area in Sigma with Full Range just looks amazing.

f@luS

More than a member.
720p BR? without knowing just before? what the hell is going on ? its like im dead @ paradise ffsq

Kinan

Rice-Eater said:
I just don't get it, how do I get the streaming thing to work. I treid both TVersity and Twonky and I get nothing. I have them both installed and running(I think), what else do I have to do to get them to work? This is the most sought after feature for me so I'm really eager to get it working.

dont forget to add the programs to exception list of your firewall. that was my problem.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Is the error code '8002F994'?

I'm getting that one. Any idea what's causing it? (Other than the entire population of the world downloading a firmware update at the same time...)

garrickk

Bebpo said:
Limited HDMI
Full Range HDMI
@720p on an XBR960 CRT

Full Range has darker blacks and the colors are stronger. It's not a huge diffence but it's definitely noticable.

And man, the opening area in Sigma with Full Range just looks amazing.
You have to wonder, why have Limited HDMI at all?

Banned
garrickk said:
You have to wonder, why have Limited HDMI at all?
Limited range exists because the majority of displays are expecting the limited range over HDMI. Full range is really for DVI/HDMI equipped monitors rather than televisions, and not something people should enable blindly.

For this comparison, I maxed out my TV's brightness control, just to make the difference clear.

Limited range HDMI - what a television expects:
limited-range.jpg

Full range HDMI:
full-range.jpg

Shadow details are totally lost, and even maxing out the brightness can't bring them back.

Both photos were exposed exactly the same.

Kinan said:
dont forget to add the programs to exception list of your firewall. that was my problem.

I don't think I even have my firewall running on my router. But if I did, how do I even check that(I seriously don't know).

SpokkX

Pal users:

- ZOE2 works!

- 720p ps2-games look nice over HDMI. But they display in 720/50 and i get som "background noise" in darker pictures. Bands moving up and down. Anyone else experiencing this? In 720p/60 it looks fins

snorggy said:
not sure if this has been answered yet since this thread is a massive 27 pages, i don't really want to go back and check.. but what does "RGB Full Range (HDMI)" do when it's turned to "Full" ?? I assume "full" is better than "limited" so i turned it on.. but the screen didn't even flicker or anything and i notice no difference...

It may have something to do with the Deep Color support of the HDMI 1.3 spec.

Banned
FormulaOne said:
It may have something to do with the Deep Color support of the HDMI 1.3 spec.
It's nothing to do with "deep colour" - televisions expect to work with a range of 16-235 from black to white. Monitors use 0-255.

Full range is 0-255, and "limited" range is 16-235. If a TV is doing what it should be, limited is the correct option.

If your display has the option to choose between "PC" levels (full range) and "Video" levels, then you would want 0-255 for both. If you're using full range on a display that does not expect full range over HDMI, you then completely lose shadow details, as pictured above.

kenta

Has no PEINS
iapetus said:
I'm getting that one. Any idea what's causing it? (Other than the entire population of the world downloading a firmware update at the same time...)
Connect with an Ethernet cable

garrickk

Anyone here with a Westy LCD that wasn't able to use HDMI before? Someone at the Sony official forums claims that this update allows their Westy to work with an HDMI cable.

Many users of the 42" had to use HDMI->DVI cables attached to one specific port.

acklame said:
do you have windows firewall on?

If you're talking about the part where you right click, go to advance, and check the firewall box then the answer is "no" to that. I just don't get it, everybody else can at least get there PS3 to recognize there PC, but I get absolutely nothing. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled TVersity to no avail. I'm desperate, somebody tell me something :(

Also the new HDMI color option has really improved the iq on my screen, I thought Resistance, Kingdom of Heaven and Planet Earth looked fantastic, but this really made the image pop more than I thought possible, my blacks are even richer now.

MercuryLS said:
Does anyone have a tutorial on how to stream content to the PS3?

Is it better than X360 streaming?

i am streaming No Cure for Cancer using windows media player 11. i enabled media sharing, and the ps3 and my pc connected without any problems whatsoever.

this is nice that the ps3 will play mpeg2s. my 360 cannot play that over media sharing, just wmv's.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
kenta said:
Connect with an Ethernet cable

Actually the fix appeared to be to walk upstairs and post about it on GAF. Went back down and the update downloaded fine over wireless. Obviously just load problems.

Bebpo

Banned
I think which games will benefit from Full Range HDMI will differ per title.

GT:HD looks SO MUCH FREAKING BETTER. I was always a hater of the visuals in this demo as it looked washed out and jaggy.

With Full Range it looks REALLY NICE color/contrast-wise and seems less jaggy to me.

andrewfee said:
It's nothing to do with "deep colour" - televisions expect to work with a range of 16-235 from black to white. Monitors use 0-255.

Full range is 0-255, and "limited" range is 16-235. If a TV is doing what it should be, limited is the correct option.

If your display has the option to choose between "PC" levels (full range) and "Video" levels, then you would want 0-255 for both. If you're using full range on a display that does not expect full range over HDMI, you then completely lose shadow details, as pictured above.

This makes sense. The solution for most sets is simply to make sure they are properly calibrated. If switching to 'full range' HDMI gives you deeper blacks (as opposed to more 'black' areas due to the destruction of shadow detail), then your set wasn't actually set up properly. It can give you finer gradations on the few sets that can actually process it properly, but it should never make the deepest black even blacker.

Just checking this out now - nice stuff.

Too bad the smoothing only seems to work on PS2 games set to 480i and not 480p. I've just been flicking back and forth in SoTC and there's a lot less jaggies in 480i than in 480p. It's really noticable on the arms of the main guy while riding around. BTW - I am upscaling to 1080p.

Onto trying out some R1 DVDs! And Resistance with the full color range turned on.

Huzzah!

spwolf

Fafalada said:
That's complete nonsense - then again if it comes from AV forums I'm not surprised in the least.

didnt you know that you need 512 MB of ram to use 100 mbs connection? I read it on AVS

:lol

ppl, that has nothing to do with each other...

mr_nothin

Banned
Bebpo said:
I think which games will benefit from Full Range HDMI will differ per title.

GT:HD looks SO MUCH FREAKING BETTER. I was always a hater of the visuals in this demo as it looked washed out and jaggy.

With Full Range it looks REALLY NICE color/contrast-wise and seems less jaggy to me.
pics

wotter

JB1981 said:
dayum, BLACK looks very nice upscaled.
Didn't know black worked? Last time i checked, it didn't work on my ps3, how long has this issue been sorted? Damn, gonna play all my ps2 games again i guess.

I'm super late and all and tried to read a lot of this massive thread....but all I can say is HOLY F*CKING SHIT!!! :O

I think I'm going to blow my load all over my PS3 and 1080p HDtv!!

rc213

/me Takes a piss on Linksys WRT54/GS Stock firmware. Get DD-WRT, Tomato or HyperWRT running on those suckers. It's like a whole new router!

Lain

Finally was able to get TVersity to show on my PS3, but like some others, MP3s show up as unsupported and transoding videos doesn't seem to work? (PS3 kinda freezes).

TwonkyMedia works great for me for MP3s and the videos the PS3 supports, but no transcoding makes it sort of useless to me (most of my music is in a lossless format, most of my video are H264 highprofile or Dvix/Xvid).
I guess I'll keep using TwonkyMedia until something better gets pointed out.

Banned
Here's a test for people to see whether or not their display supports the new full range option or not.

First, save this image, and put it on a memory card or something so that you can view it on the PS3:

http://sr-388.net/images/patterns/Brightness.jpg

With the option set to limited, adjust the brightness control on your TV until you can see most/all of the boxes. There are 12 boxes there, but you might not be able to see them all. You should hopefully be able to see at least 9/10 of them.

Now switch it over to Full range. Can you still see all the boxes? It's very likely that you will only see a full black screen now if you're using a HDTV rather than a DVI monitor.

If you can turn up the brightness control and see the same number of boxes again, then it seems your display does support the full range. If it stays black, or you can't see as many boxes as before, your TV does not support the full range option and you should be using limited.

Most HDTVs should have it set to limited.

Top Bottom