• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown Thread of Import Impressions and Elf

Tain

Were you expecting a Guardian Heroes kind of system? That's what I thought it'd be at first too, but that was before I found out it had loot and such. The way it is now sounds like Diablo, and from my perspective that was good news. Interested to see how long it'll take to hit the level caps, or if hitting 99 is feasible at all. I know I never got any maxed out chars in D2 and I was fine with that.

Kiiinda. I was largely avoiding info on the game and was hoping the character progression stuff would be minimal, making it more like a skill-based arcade beat 'em up than something like Odin Sphere. But it sounds closer to Odin Sphere than I expected.

"Kiiinda. I was largely avoiding info on the game and was hoping the character progression stuff would be minimal, making it more like a skill-based arcade beat 'em up than something like Odin Sphere. But it sounds closer to Odin Sphere than I expected."

While I wouldn't be opposed to this kind of game, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 50$ title to be an arcade style 1-2 hour repeatable experience these days.

Tain

I knew it would be asking for too much for it to be a straight-up arcade game, but I just can't picture multiple 20 hour campaigns that flow your character progression into the supposedly-harder difficulties to be... as focused as I'd like. I was hoping this would be more in the middle, like maybe a set of three-hour campaigns that had some basic skill branching over the course of a small number of level ups or something. I don't know.

I'm hoping it will still have some big nasty dungeons with sufficient punishment for death and I never feel like I'm unsure of where I am on the level curve.

I knew it would be asking for too much for it to be a straight-up arcade game, but I just can't picture multiple 20 hour campaigns that flow your character progression into the supposedly-harder difficulties to be... as focused as I'd like. I was hoping this would be more in the middle, like maybe a set of three-hour campaigns that had some basic skill branching over the course of a small number of level ups or something. I don't know.

I'm hoping it will still have some big nasty dungeons with sufficient punishment for death and I never feel like I'm unsure of where I am on the level curve.
While many things can be said about VanillaWare games, the one thing that is never said is "this was too easy".

This is a game that makes me regret having to give up my PS3. Brawlers don't come out often enough, and I usually can't get enough of good ones. Wonder if we'll see a vita price drop at Gamescom. It's a little too pricey for me right now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Couldn't pick up my copy this morning on the way to work. Apparently Joshin doesn't open until 10, and I have to be at work by 9:30. :\

Oh well. I'll probably stop by a Bic Camera or something after work. Dying to start playing this.

Kiiinda. I was largely avoiding info on the game and was hoping the character progression stuff would be minimal, making it more like a skill-based arcade beat 'em up than something like Odin Sphere. But it sounds closer to Odin Sphere than I expected.

That would be a $15 DD game these days. I'm going the opposite direction. I was afraid it would be a straight up 3-4 hour beat em up, and I'd be wasting $60 on what is essentially a $15 game. the customization, loot and the campaign length are exactly what I was looking for.

“Dragon’s Crown is actually the first title our company has developed that has gone over the 100 million yen (around one million dollars) wall in costs,” he said. “I’m very thankful to have met the release date without problems.”

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/dragons-crown-vanillawares-most-expensive-project

I know it's 2D and all, but doesn't that seem really cheap considering its developer time, how good it looks and how much content this has?

Oublieux

Holy shit. Apparently the retail PS3 version is like $80 dollars over there.

edit: Reverse importing might be the reason why there's no dual audio narration.

That makes a lot of sense... although I really hope that's not the case :T One can wish.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Holy shit. Apparently the retail PS3 version is like $80 dollars over there.

edit: Reverse importing might be the reason why there's no dual audio narration.

Its close to it, its possible to get it for around 6600+ but gotta do a little searching.

My PS3 copy costed me 7015 from Amazon.

Actually wound up with a PS3 copy too, that compliments my already VITA one. Weird considering I had checked Amazon first to make sure I didnt have something on the way, which is why picked up the VITA one. lol Ah well guess this solves my situation for double dipping early

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Got the game and cleared the first dungeon after the initial tutorial.

Fire spells not working in water made me sad, since I had to shoot all my fireballs from mid-jump.

Looks really good so far, can't wait to play some more.

Ultimadrago

Just to confirm for NA preorders, the art book looks amazing, but is softcover.

Thanks! Is there much in the way of personal commentary from the artist on any particular design choices for locales/characters/monsters or is it more straight bio-focused (Here is this place, There is this person, etc.) ?

caffeware

Banned
dragons1.jpg
image_thumb116.png

dragons-crown-looked-really-different-when-it-was-being-made-for-the-dreamcast

:p

Honest question: Will George Kamitani ever reach Kamiya's or Kojimas status?

ranmafan

Awesome my two ebten dx special editions came in. All the extras are nice. The tapestry is a bit over the top, doubt ill put that on the wall, but my wife did get a kick out of it. Hope to play some of the vita version at lunch today!

Teknoman

Thanks! Is there much in the way of personal commentary from the artist on any particular design choices for locales/characters/monsters or is it more straight bio-focused (Here is this place, There is this person, etc.) ?

More or less bio focused. It has a foreword and some comments on guest artists. Honestly some of the female guest artists seem like they did a better job showing the Amazon, Sorceress, and Elf off than George himself.

Ultimadrago

More or less bio focused. It has a foreword and some comments on guest artists. Honestly some of the female guest artists seem like they did a better job showing the Amazon, Sorceress, and Elf off than George himself.

That sounds good. I'm looking forward to flipping through it.

all hope should have been lost long ago

zroid

Banned
I'm guessing this game has local multi on PS3, yeah?

Kinda regretting being a cheapass and pre-ordering the Vita release instead now. I wasn't even thinking about the couch co-op potential at the time, but it's bound to be a lot of fun.

I don't do online multiplayer, like, ever, so it's going to be a single player affair for me on Vita, unfortunately. Well, too late to change my mind now, 'cause the discounts I got when I pre-ordered the game last month would no longer apply for a new order.

Espada

Kinda regretting being a cheapass and pre-ordering the Vita release instead now. I wasn't even thinking about the couch co-op potential at the time, but it's bound to be a lot of fun.

I don't do online multiplayer, like, ever, so it's going to be a single player affair for me on Vita, unfortunately. Well, too late to change my mind now, 'cause the discounts I got when I pre-ordered the game last month would no longer apply for a new order.

Yup, it's got local multiplayer + online multiplayer + local multi and online multi. Well, at least you have DC on the go?

Qvoth

i'm seeing people saying it's out in asia psn
supposedly this is exactly like the JP version but has english text
costs USD48 i think?

since it's exactly like the JP version it has the options to even change the narrators, something which some people are saying the english version will not have (they're saying english version can only change your playable character's voice, not the narrator's)

SMK

Well so much for the reverse importing theory. It's probably because we're getting english voices for the character narration and they both occupy the same space. Bah, hopefully Atlus can say something about it.

How are there no pictures of the supposed dinosaur mount yet?

If you mean the raptors, I saw it on that twitch stream.

Why won't you touch online play for a game like this?

I rounded up all the info we have so far on the differences between the two versions:

Vita
+ OLED screen making the game prettier.
+ Touch controls to pick up stuff/open chests.
+ The ability to take screenshots.
- Framerate buckles under pressure when heaps of stuff is happening on the screen
- Easier to loose track of your character due to the smaller screen.

PS3
+ A more stable framerate.
+ Play it on a big T.V.
+ A little easier to keep track of your character.
- Having to move the cursor to pick up stuff/open chests.
- Can’t take screenshots.

I rounded up all the info we have so far on the differences between the two versions:

Vita
- Framerate buckles under pressure when heaps of stuff is happening on the screen

PS3
+ Play it on a big T.V.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a pretty debate-ending point to the PS3 version instead of the Vita version.

I'm sure it's not game breaking on Vita or anything, but framerate is king, always.

Vita

PS3
+ Play it on a big T.V.
Umm, being portable is a pretty big benefit.

Moonlight

Banned

Vita

Goddammit. :(

Top Bottom