• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Second Son - Behind the Scenes - Smoke & Mirrors

Dinjooh

iFYdZc7OyOs0D.gif

I need to see more of the combat system, right now it looks mashy. I want to combat to be a challenge and require me to dodge but still offer the depth to last the whole game

Gammacide

Wow. That looks stunning. I couldn't believe parts of it actually. I always have liked the inFamous games, but not loved them (i.e. I have fun and play through the good or evil path and would then essentially lose interest in trying the other path). This looks to be enough of a jump in terms of EVERYTHING to get me to play it a lot more. :)

JawzPause

Of all the next-gen games that we've seen gameplay of, this has me the most excited.
Man I really need to complete Infamous 2 sometime...

ibvXC22T9UowZg.JPG

Even went as low as 16fps.

Oh it had dips, don't get me wrong, but at no point was it ever un-playable. It was certainly stable enough for how gorgeous it was.

If framerate is your only benchmark for quality then yeah sure they dropped the ball I guess. But massively greater than the sum of it's parts in my opinion.

HardRojo

Cigarettes should be health packs.

I really like this idea but someone will push to censor it because that would send the message that cigarettes are healthy even though everyone knows they're not from just looking at the packages with all those warnings and pictures...

Mik_Pad

Banned
ibvXC22T9UowZg.JPG

Even went as low as 16fps.
And that is considered a fail now huh? The game is near perfect 95% of the time, I can bearly play Assassins Creed on consoles because of the framerate but had no problem with TLoU, imho ND achieved more than any other dev on the PS3.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Now this, is some next-gen shieet. Just freaking gorgeous and the best use of particle effects I've seen so far. God dayumn. o_O

REV 09

Looks really good. Interested in this and KZ at the moment. A few more interesting game announcements and I'll jump on board.

THIS right here is enough to jump in. Infamous 1&2 were two of my absolute faves, and this one looks (and sounds) like its fucking next level goodness.

System Seller for me. *drool*

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
So Delsin is essentially equivalent to Rogue or Hope Summers? That's pretty cool, we'll probably receive powers when we come into contact with other conduits in Seattle. It'd be cool to see Delsin being portrayed as a sensory and parasitic type of conduit who can identify conduits and their powers. His radar sense would function like Cole's in the sense that it'd outline potential collectibles and power sources in the world but would also color code different types of conduits in the immediate area as well. Healers for instance would glow Green while the radar sense is active, Ice types as White, Lightning types as Blue, Fire types as Red, Gravity (levitation/black holes/shockwaves) types as black...so on and so forth. It'd be nice to see different conduits also having varying weaknesses and reactions to different powers; some would be weak to some powers and more resistant to others while if their own power is used against them they'll be empowered and healed. This is a concept familiar to anyone whose played Poke'mon. Couple that with Delsin only receiving absorbed powers from npcs temporarily, that'd make the game a lot more strategic and add a sense of urgency to the combat.

I think the only powers that should be permanent should be those that Delsin acquires from bosses whom he has had to kill, leeching and draining them of not only their powers but their life force as well in the process.

Everything looks awesome except for the protagnoists smile. There's something off about it. Like he's forced to smile while someone is painting him or something. Very weird

RedAssedApe

Banned
eh...i want to see more beyond the same level over and over again. isn't his power that he can take other people's powers? hopefully at gamescom.

nitrofeen

Banned
this game is going to be so much fun to play. Some people wont like this but I am hoping they dont put multiplayer in the game so they can give us a better single player campaign and ucc experience

Ateron

Sorry if this was asked already, but have they told us how will the different powers come to work? I mean, we know Delsin can absorb other Conduit's powers, but have they explained how will this work?

Will it be connected to the main story, in which you have a boss battle with a conduit and by killing it you absorb his power and it becomes yours to keep?

or

Will it be situational, for instance you can see diferent conduits throughout the city and you can engage at will and absorb, but the moment you try with some other different conduit the previous power gets replaced?

Can you acquire as many different kinds of powers as you want or do they get replaced by the most recent one?

I'm digging the smoke, but I would like to know more about his other powers. Cole's Ice Jump thing was awesome and complemented well his bolt attacks, but you couldn't have both fire and ice in the same slot.

scsa

Disagree. The console will sell out at launch anyway. This will give them a second boost in the New Year, right around the time when the market would typically start moaning about droughts. Sony clearly learned a lesson from Vita -- space it out.

It also, as SolidSnakeX mentioned, gives the team more time to polish the game and ensure that it's a smash. It's a smart move all around.

Agree with you. Didn't think like that. It seems a more logical and sensible approach.

Racer1977

JESUS.

When Deslin dematerialized, went through that soldier, materialized in front of the soldier and then grabbed him I said WOW. This game man.
It's super impressive how they've added all of these effects, but they don't look tagged on, they look so well integrated into the game mechanics.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sorry if this was asked already, but have they told us how will the different powers come to work? I mean, we know Delsin can absorb other Conduit's powers, but have they explained how will this work?

Will it be connected to the main story, in which you have a boss battle with a conduit and by killing it you absorb his power and it becomes yours to keep?

or

Will it be situational, for instance you can see diferent conduits throughout the city and you can engage at will and absorb, but the moment you try with some other different conduit the previous power gets replaced?

Can you acquire as many different kinds of powers as you want or do they get replaced by the most recent one?

I'm digging the smoke, but I would like to know more about his other powers. Cole's Ice Jump thing was awesome and complemented well his bolt attacks, but you couldn't have both fire and ice in the same slot.

It seems smoke is a permanent one, and then maybe you get to "borrow" an additional one from a nearby conduit situationally. Like a temporary fire or ice or electricity to complement the base smoke you always have.

Ateron

It seems smoke is a permanent one, and then maybe you get to "borrow" an additional one from a nearby conduit situationally. Like a temporary fire or ice or electricity to complement the base smoke you always have.

Thank you for the reply!

I guess that could work. I would prefer a "you get to keep the powers and switch back as you please" method, but I can see that the method you mentioned would allow for more dynamic fights, which is good.

EDIT: Btw, is there a reason why we haven't seen Deslin zoom in while "shooting"? Everytime he's throwing projectiles he seems to be "running and gunning". I might be mistaken, but I don't remember seeing it.

Top Bottom