• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Second Son - Behind the Scenes - Smoke & Mirrors

I'm hoping that Delsin gets that ice jump-style move that the enemies in the demo have. Or at least something that's similar to it. That was probably the best power in i2.

I immediately noticed this. LoD doesn't seem so hot. Gameplay looks like a ton of fun though.

Just looks like WIP assets to me. There's a reason it's not out yet, and it got a lot to do with the artists currently being busy.

EDIT:

@SolidSnakex I agree, I loved doing it under a car to flip it out the way.

IcyEyes

Look at how low res these background buildings are..

BSE7yyA.jpg

One day *all* the screenshots taken from a vid will have the same quality of the game. Right now, screenshot like that are worthless.

Back on topic ... Awesome, so so awesome!!!

Epsilon

Banned
Oh please, make the explosions volumetric, definitely the most underwhelming aspect of the game.
apart from that, can't wait to inhale this game.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just can't wait to get my hands on this game.

I've loved the previous 3 entries in the series, and I've been a Sucker Punch fan since Sly Cooper 1, so it was a no brainer that I was going to grab Second Son day one.

What I hope for Sucker Punch is that the PS4 generation does for them what the PS3 generation did for Naughty Dog. When I think about it that way, I'm kind of bummed that Insomniac were so resistant to being purchased by Sony. I think they'd have fared much better than their current situation.

I wish the Sucker Punch guys luck with this title, but it certainly wowed me when I saw it in person, running on actual hardware. They have plenty of time for polish, and the game already looks incredibly clean.

Ploid 3.0

BSE7yyA.jpg

Not just the buildings, look at how low res his coat texture, the flame, the smoke, his shoes, his hat, everything looks low res and full of artifacting. This game is far from next gen.

/sarcasm :p ;) :eek:D that last one was a clown face. I think I failed it.

Quest1

So I've never played Infamous 1/2, but this has me super excited.

Should I go back and play 1 and 2 before then? Should I only play one or the other? I'm interested, but I was turned off by like the first 20/30 minutes I played of Infamous 1 way back when it first came out, but Second Son looks really good. I want to love it.

DigiMish

Should I go back and play 1 and 2 before then? Should I only play one or the other? I'm interested, but I was turned off by like the first 20/30 minutes I played of Infamous 1 way back when it first came out, but Second Son looks really good. I want to love it.

Both games are worth playing, and play very similar.

NBtoaster

One day *all* the screenshots taken from a vid will have the same quality of the game. Right now, screenshot like that are worthless.

Back on topic ... Awesome, so so awesome!!!

Nothing to do with the video quality, those buildings have extremely simple geometry and the textures on them aren't even aligned properly.

Probably just unfinished, doesn't even look like theres a street under them.

velociraptor

If you are going to play one, play the first one.

sunnz

Not just the buildings, look at how low res his coat texture, the flame, the smoke, his shoes, his hat, everything looks low res and full of artifacting. This game is far from next gen.

Yet 99% of the rest of the video is high quality and one of the best next gen looking game.

No doubt this game is far from launch and has some polishing and improving left to be done, it does have over 5 months though.

Pistolero

it does indeed look gorgeous. But that's not what I am most excited about. There is an aspect that, to me, makes Infamous a very captivating series. It's actually an incredibly fun sandbox title. Fun, as in, I have had a lot of fun roaming the streets, grinding, using those powers of Cole. Most other titles (in the same genre) end up being quite boring despite their production values...

Vire

Sucker Punch seems to be really stepping up their game on all fronts for this one.

Story and fidelity seem much better this time around.

IcyEyes

Nothing to do with the video quality, those buildings have extremely simple geometry and the textures on them aren't even aligned properly.

Probably just unfinished, doesn't even look like theres a street under them.

Ok, sorry, I didn't realize you were only referring to the building on the background, but since most of the time, people love to judge the quality of the graphics from a screenshot taken from a vid I just jump to this idea at the first instance !

To be honest the buildings in the background looks exactly what they are, a placeholder (probably that's why I misunderstood...I assumed that was obvious!)

GameSeeker

On the off chance someone from Sucker Punch is reading this thread, here is some important feedback.

Get SCE WWS marketing to STOP releasing PS4 footage solely on YouTube. All the YouTube videos looks very poor, as the poor compression/bitrate of YouTube destroys much of the detail and beauty of the new worlds you folks are creating. We want the footage in a high quality format. Figure out someway to release high quality footage along side the standard YouTube videos.

Violater

I hope they do more to make the world look believable, how the AI reacts to your presence and actions. I want that next gen crowd and level of detail and npc animations and behavior.

Just looks like WIP assets to me. There's a reason it's not out yet, and it got a lot to do with the artists currently being busy.

EDIT:

@SolidSnakex I agree, I loved doing it under a car to flip it out the way.

I'm excited for the game, but let's call a spade a spade. The buildings are flat and low textured, and the LoD is bad. Anything outside of a 100 yard radius seems to just look terrible. I'm excited for the prospects of a new Infamous, but there are some people that are saying this looks AMAZING and incredible. Not true. It looks decent with fun as hell gameplay. Though, this being 6+months before release I imagine they'll really start to spruce up the graphics. Either way, I'll be there day 1 just as I was for all Infamous games. But I've seen better.

That aside. It's another Infamous and it looks
tumblr_lkkfo4E3ir1qafrh6.gif

Hot.

Vire

On the off chance someone from Sucker Punch is reading this thread, here is some important feedback.

Get SCE WWS marketing to STOP releasing PS4 footage solely on YouTube. All the YouTube videos looks very poor, as the poor compression/bitrate of YouTube destroys much of the detail and beauty of the new worlds you folks are creating. We want the footage in a high quality format. Figure out someway to release high quality footage along side the standard YouTube videos.
It's called www.gamersyde.com

Blim Blim should be uploaded it shortly. They are brilliant.

Mifune

Mehmber
Jesus, next-gen game threads are gonna be insufferable until launch aren't they.

Personally I hope Sucker Punch does NOT reveal more powers. Just show us some missions with the current power set and I'm good. And while I'd love to play this at launch, I'd rather they get all the time they need to make it great.

Vire

I almost feel bad sometimes with the amount of bandwidth I use from that site...

New Watch Dogs trailer looks much better direct feed.

I'm excited for the game, but let's call a spade a spade. The buildings are flat and low textured, and the LoD is bad. Anything outside of a 100 yard radius seems to just look terrible. I'm excited for the prospects of a new Infamous, but there are some people that are saying this looks AMAZING and incredible. Not true. It looks decent with fun as hell gameplay. Though, this being 6+months before release I imagine they'll really start to spruce up the graphics. Either way, I'll be there day 1 just as I was for all Infamous games. But I've seen better.

Yes the buildings are flat and the textures are low res. But calling a spade a spade is totally presumptuous. Even if it were an LOD issue (which I doubt it is), then it would pretty easy to excuse given that it still has over 6 months of optimisation.

It's pretty clear it's not asset complete. Those buildings are not complete. Same situation as the E3 demo.

Yes the buildings are flat and the textures are low res. But calling a spade a spade is totally presumptuous. Even if it were an LOD issue (which I doubt it is), then it would pretty easy to excuse given that it still has over 6 months of optimisation.

It's pretty clear it's not asset complete. Those buildings are not complete. Same situation as the E3 demo.

Fair enough. I just don't understand why everyone is gushing over the graphics. It just technically doesn't look like anything special. I'm more excited for the new environment and powers. PC gaming has made the new console reveals less exciting for me I guess; as I've been playing games that looked better than what's been revealed so far for a while now. Either way, I have a PS4 reserved and can't wait to play SS. I do wish it was coming out at PS4 launch though. That is a bummer.

Vire

Fair enough. I just don't understand why everyone is gushing over the graphics. It just technically doesn't look like anything special. I'm more excited for the new environment and powers. PC gaming has made the new console reveals less exciting for me I guess; as I've been playing games that looked better than what's been revealed so far for a while now. Either way, I have a PS4 reserved and can't wait to play SS. I do wish it was coming out at PS4 launch though. That is a bummer.

Can I see all these PC games that look better than this? I must have missed them:

OGKxYm.gif

leadbelly

Banned

BSE7yyA.jpg

Is that a cardboard cut-out tree on a rooftop? Looks like it.

It looks like a game that simply isn't finished to me. The buildings to the right are relatively close, and the LoD doesn't change on those buildings.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

That aside. It's another Infamous and it looks
tumblr_lkkfo4E3ir1qafrh6.gif

Hot.

estelle_getty-115660q4x4o.jpg

If it's the fact it's unfinished and you're not impressed at it's WIP state, then I can't argue with that. The unfinished buildings are ugly when you notice them.

If you're not impressed with the parts that clearly are final assets for these vertical slices then I think you're just being recalcitrant, due to what is widely perceived as a superb looking game. And it's open world - seriously it's quite amazing.

Can I see all these PC games that look better than this? I must have missed them:

OGKxYm.gif

Arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

This is early alpha. You can go anywhere you can look. On a training island. When it launches it'll be on a play space the size of 270 km2.

I won't flood the thread with pics or gifs. But ARMA 3, Crysis 3 both look better than SS. Check out the PC screenshots thread, you'll see them. SS is all about gameplay for me.

Even still, better is subjective anyways. So it really doesn't matter. If you think that it is great, that's all that matters. I'm more concerned/excited with the gameplay. If they just keep building on what they've already established with the previous games, it should make for an amazing game.

If it's the fact it's unfinished and you're not impressed at it's WIP state, then I can't argue with that. The unfinished buildings are ugly when you notice them.

If you're not impressed with the parts that clearly are final assets for these vertical slices then I think you're just being recalcitrant, due to what is widely perceived as a superb looking game. And it's open world - seriously it's quite amazing.

I completely agree with you. I never meant to imply that I think it looks awful if that is how I came across. Just that I don't think it's the graphical powerhouse some make it out to be. The fact that it's open world and looks like this is great.

Vire

Arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

This is early alpha. You can go anywhere you can look. On a training island. When it launches it'll be on a play space the size of 270 km2.

I won't flood the thread with pics or gifs. But ARMA 3, Crysis 3 both look better than SS. Check out the PC screenshots thread, you'll see them. SS is all about gameplay for me.

Even still, better is subjective anyways. So it really doesn't matter. If you think that it is great, that's all that matters. I'm more concerned/excited with the gameplay. If they just keep building on what they've already established with the previous games, it should make for an amazing game.

I completely agree with you. I never meant to imply that I think it looks awful if that is how I came across. Just that I don't think it's the graphical powerhouse some make it out to be. The fact that it's open world and looks like this is great.

Crysis 3, you mean the completely linear FPS?... One is an open world game and the other isn't.

I'm not familiar enough with Arma to speak of its visual fidelity. I'll watch some videos online and get back to you.

Crysis 3, you mean the completely linear FPS?... One is an open world game and the other isn't.

I'm not familiar enough with Arma to speak of its visual fidelity. I'll watch some videos online and get back to you.

Look up ARMA III. I Guarantee it has a bigger world than SS.

Holy shit with the graphics pissing contests.

Anyway, this game is my most anticipated next gen game and this video only cemented that further.

Top Bottom