• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFamous Second Son - Behind the Scenes - Smoke & Mirrors

Tagg9

This is early alpha. You can go anywhere you can look. On a training island. When it launches it'll be on a play space the size of 270 km2.

I won't flood the thread with pics or gifs. But ARMA 3, Crysis 3 both look better than SS. Check out the PC screenshots thread, you'll see them. SS is all about gameplay for me.

Even still, better is subjective anyways. So it really doesn't matter. If you think that it is great, that's all that matters. I'm more concerned/excited with the gameplay. If they just keep building on what they've already established with the previous games, it should make for an amazing game..

ARMA looks very boring and grey. The artstyle for inFamous is a lot more colorful/varied, and the particle effects only exacerbate this. Delsin's character model also looks much more detailed than the characters in that ARMA screenshot (including better cloth textures).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
OGKxYm.gif

This one is just stunning. The lighting and texture work on the street and buildings is top notch and there's a decent number of NPCs. Can't wait for this game.

Vire

OGKxYm.gif

This one is just stunning. The lighting and texture work on the street and buildings is top notch and there's a decent number of NPCs. Can't wait for this game.

The NPC's in the city is what makes me happy. I was concerned after the E3 demo that we would get another city that completely desolate... but I'm happy to be wrong.

Vire

Looks amazing but is that an accurate depiction of Seattle roads? No cars?

There is traffic and cars in the game, just not at that road at that time.

I apologize for the miserable YouTube screencap, still downloading Gamersyde's...

5vmEEsU.png

ARMA looks very boring and grey. The artstyle for inFamous is a lot more energetic, and the particle effects make it seem much more impressive. Delsin's character model also looks much more detailed than the characters in that ARMA screenshot (including better cloth textures).

I really really don't want to get into it. But, you are wrong.

I'll stop with the ARMA talk though, as it has no place here.

Any reasonable guess as to when this game actually come out? Unless they've been working on this for a while, Q1 seems a bit far fetched.

You can compare a game like ARMA 3 to inFAMOUS ,even though ARMA is bigger will it have the same level of detail you would see in a smaller open world game?

Yes? The bee's in ARMA 3 cast shadows. Bees.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Any reasonable guess as to when this game actually come out? Unless they've been working on this for a while, Q1 seems a bit far fetched.
Sony almost always has a big game in late February/early March. This is guaranteed for that slot.

Vire

Yes? The bee's in ARMA 3 cast shadows. Bees.

February is what I remember hearing at E3. I think they accidentally mentioned it in one of the walkthroughs they did with the press.

Sony almost always has a big game in late February/early March. This is guaranteed for that slot.

February is what I remember hearing at E3. I think they accidentally mentioned it in one of the walkthroughs they did with the press.

If this came out in February I'd be super happy. As long as it comes out after Valentines Day. My wife would hate me if it came out before.

Am I the only one who doesn't find direct-feed footage of this game to be very impressive? Off-screen footage (and GIFs), on the other hand, look fantastic.

Maybe it's YouTube's fault.

Am I the only one who doesn't find direct-feed footage of this game to be very impressive? Off-screen footage (and GIFs), on the other hand, look fantastic.

Maybe it's YouTube's fault.

GIF's tend to be really really small, so you notice less lack of detail. Photos tend to be oversampled to unrealistic levels.

Any game can look great in small GIF form.

miso_Jeff

Banned
Arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

This is early alpha. You can go anywhere you can look. On a training island. When it launches it'll be on a play space the size of 270 km2.

I won't flood the thread with pics or gifs. But ARMA 3, Crysis 3 both look better than SS. Check out the PC screenshots thread, you'll see them. SS is all about gameplay for me.

Even still, better is subjective anyways. So it really doesn't matter. If you think that it is great, that's all that matters. I'm more concerned/excited with the gameplay. If they just keep building on what they've already established with the previous games, it should make for an amazing game.

I completely agree with you. I never meant to imply that I think it looks awful if that is how I came across. Just that I don't think it's the graphical powerhouse some make it out to be. The fact that it's open world and looks like this is great.

The most impressive thing about ARMA 3 is it's lighting. It's going for that real life lighting, it's pretty damn close. But I do think that Crysis 3 has it beat in terms om geometry... but then again, ARMA 3 is a massive Island.

Persona86

Banned
OGKxYm.gif

Yep this GIF just proves that the flat looking buildings in the other scene is like that because the game is unfinished.

My god.

This game looks finished gimme at launch!

Edit: I was wondering where he'd "recharge" from ala power sources in Infamous. Pretty cool.

Yeah, I don't get why this was delayed till 2014, at all. It looks more polished now than the PS4's launch titles.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Can we stop with the ARMA 3 discussion? Nobody is saying that ARMA 3 doesn't look good. SS's art style and improved graphics from Infamous 2 make it impressive looking considering it's on a console. Of course ARMA 3 is going to look good. It's on a damn PC.

Joeki11a

Banned
Wait why all the shock?

This looks like Infamous gameplay again with teh next gen paint...

Side note-

First 20 mins of Infamous 2 was legendary

Wait why all the shock?

This looks like Infamous gameplay again with teh next gen paint...

Side note-

First 20 mins of Infamous 2 was legendary

Once you got Ice powers it was a whole new world. I never did play that vampire DLC. All this Infamous talk has me kinda jonesing to play it again.

Here's an Idea, go make you an arma thread and you can enjoy your post with those of you who are like mine.

There it is.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, I don't get why this was delayed till 2014, at all. It looks more polished now than the PS4's launch titles.
It's an open-world game about a guy who can absorb various powers for which it looks like we've only seen a very limited area and precisely one power set. I suspect they still have a lot of content and gameplay mechanics still heavily under development, else we might have at least seen a little more about the true nature of Delsin's abilities.

nib95

Banned
I have feeling that the game may be delayed a few months.

Very doubtful. If it was originally intended to be a launch game, it's probably further along than we realise. I reckon core gameplay wise it's probably near complete, with just the last few months left for polish. Remember, the core gameplay and campaign of Killzone SF is actually also already complete, with just polishing to do.

Sucker Punch have six months to go, that's plenty of time to fine tune.

velociraptor

Arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

arma3_screenshot_01.jpg

Even still, better is subjective anyways. So it really doesn't matter. If you think that it is great, that's all that matters. I'm more concerned/excited with the gameplay. If they just keep building on what they've already established with the previous games, it should make for an amazing game.

I completely agree with you. I never meant to imply that I think it looks awful if that is how I came across. Just that I don't think it's the graphical powerhouse some make it out to be. The fact that it's open world and looks like this is great.
ARMA 3 doesn't look 'that' impressive to me.

I can appreciate it is a very large game, and the lighting looks realistic, but it just looks so drab.

Nothing in that game screams like 'next-gen' to me, unlike Second Son.

i-Lo

Very doubtful. If it was originally intended to be a launch game, it's probably further along than we realise. I reckon core gameplay wise it's probably near complete, with just the last few months left for polish. Remember, the core gameplay and campaign of Killzone SF is actually also already complete, with just polishing to do.

While this is the case atm, depending upon the world size and uniformity of fidelity, things can change esp. for the first game on the new platform regardless of the time to triangle.

In all likelihood it will not happen but like I said, it's a personal feeling (one I hope is not realized).

Don't it need a release date first before we can say it will be delayed?

I think it's supposed to be out around Feb 2014.

Wouldn't work too well. Think of how dodgy the animation would look if you were quickly spamming a bunch of fireballs.

I honestly would prefer long range attacks to either not be rapid or just be continuous (how I wish Cole's regular lighting would work; i.e. force lightning) just to keep it from feeling like firing a gun. It always seemed like a cheap way to translate electricity powers (now smoke) into the game. I understand Sucker Punch doesn't want the player to feel underpowered, but I would very much appreciate the ability-set having some drawbacks or limits the player has to overcome instead of having rapid-fire/long-distance attacks, force-fields, borderline flight, zero fall damage, Etc. all at once.

the master race has arrived.....obviously some haven't played an infamous game, or you'd be hyped too. The "doesn't look good as this game with a $400 graphics card" shit is getting old........

with that said cant wait for this one

the master race shit is getting old........

with that said cant wait for this one

Fixed that for you.

I honestly would prefer long range attacks to either not be rapid or just be continuous (how I wish Cole's regular lighting would work; i.e. force lightning) just to keep it from feeling like firing a gun. It always seemed like a cheap way to translate electricity powers (now smoke) into the game. I understand Sucker Punch doesn't want the player to feel underpowered, but I would very much appreciate the ability-set having some drawbacks or limits the player has to overcome instead of having rapid-fire/long-distance attacks, force-fields, borderline flight, zero fall damage, Etc. all at once.

That would have been amazing.

farisr

I think it's supposed to be out around Feb 2014.

Nobody has mentioned a release date. Just a release window (Q1 2014). They have anywhere from 5-8 months to work on the game and have it on the shelves. February is just common speculation because it lands right in the middle of Q1. The game can not be considered delayed until it gets a release date past March 31, 2014, or they actually state an earlier release date and it releases later.

Top Bottom