• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Trailer (Director's Edition)

this looks amazing. Viewtifull joe all over the place. Too bad the art direction goes all over the universe... God Platinum hire a good art director please...

It's not that bad. Unless you want to know absolutely nothing.

All it does is introduce characters and raise a bunch of plot questions, like any good trailer. Still gotta play the game for the answers.

It does show off alot of action scenes, but man that sold me more than anything

It basically shows you everything from the beginning of the game (when characters are getting introduced) to the climax of the game (when it looks like it's 'the end' for our heroes).

That's what it looks like, anyway.

Eh, the English voices worked for me in the trailer. They're very over-the-top but that fits the style of the game.

Actually didn't bother to watch the English trailer, since I play most of my games in Japanese, and I heard they changed some dialogue to make it less funny. Did you notice if it was the same usual group of actors?

JPKellams

Actually didn't bother to watch the English trailer, since I play most of my games in Japanese, and I heard they changed some dialogue to make it less funny. Did you notice if it was the same usual group of actors?

That was exactly the goal... We looked at all the dialogue and said, how we can make this less funny... LOL.

There is one line in the trailer where Green says something acceptable in Japanese that literally translated would be going a bit too far in English. So we didn't literally translate it. He's still saying the same thing, but in double entendre, which to me is funnier, and certainly fits with how Green jokes in English all the way through.

Kamiya-san likes playing the game in English with Japanese subs, so I totally understand why people would want to play in a different language, since it "sounds" cooler... But don't get it twisted. Every language is working towards the same goal.

So which hero on smash? I mean if the f$^&*& Wii U trainer made it why not a W101 hero?

I would go with Blue or Pink or why not both?

The Direct was helpful for understanding some gameplay mechanics, and then the trailer just shows how Epic W101 is going to be, recommend downloading the 60fps trailer.

So which hero on smash? I mean if the f$^&*& Wii U trainer made it why not a W101 hero?

I would go with Blue or Pink or why not both?

The Direct was helpful for understanding some gameplay mechanics, and then the trailer just shows how Epic W101 is going to be, recommend downloading the 60fps trailer.

It would be Red, surely.

RomanceDawn

That was exactly the goal... We looked at all the dialogue and said, how we can make this less funny... LOL.

There is one line in the trailer where Green says something acceptable in Japanese that literally translated would be going a bit too far in English. So we didn't literally translate it. He's still saying the same thing, but in double entendre, which to me is funnier, and certainly fits with how Green jokes in English all the way through.

Kamiya-san likes playing the game in English with Japanese subs, so I totally understand why people would want to play in a different language, since it "sounds" cooler... But don't get it twisted. Every language is working towards the same goal.

I think the voice acting sounds great, its certainly well done. I feel like I'm watching cartoons on Nick or something. When people can't understand a language their minds just assume it's flawless acting.

chadboban

Just downloaded and watched the 60fps trailer on my computer

2TbBB.gif

JPKellams

Thanks for the assumption, but I'm fluent in Japanese. Anyway, since we'll have the option to choose I can see for myself.

I said "people" for a reason, sir. It may or may not include you. I hope you enjoy the game in whatever language you chose to play it.

ugly

Wooooow that Saturday morning cartoon feeling just came flooding back in torrents :eek:
Not nostalgia, I mean the actual excitement in watching that shit when you're a kid

I want a Wii U

US demo has 20 uses, huzzah! One thing I'm confused about, how does one adjust the camera outside of during the group touching (ie, when you're making shapes?) It's always super close

Muzy72

Banned
I was already hyped extremely for this game, but after this morning's trailer and finally getting to play the demo, my hype has increased 101%. Haven't been this hyped for a game since KI: U, my GOTY last year. I swear, every Wii U owner better buy this game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
im pretty sure they just cut it from the trailer, i very much doubt they cut it all the way out of the game, its rated T not E

Yeah that's just (effective) marketing I think. Obviously that kinda stuff attracts an audience in Japan, but repels people in the US. So they cut it where appropriate.

I don't think they'd go so far as to alter cutscenes in the final product but who knows. I don't really care to be truly honest.

It basically shows you everything from the beginning of the game (when characters are getting introduced) to the climax of the game (when it looks like it's 'the end' for our heroes).

That's what it looks like, anyway.

It shows you what happens but you have no idea why. That's supposed to be intriguing and make you want to play the game. Basically the trailer is cut to make you curious and ask questions.

Spoilers are answers.

Bayonetta showed stuff from all over the place and the final boss was still a spectacle. Rising as well. I have no doubt 101 will be the same even after seeing this.

Dang0

Can I ask what the unacceptable line was?

rockx4

The trailer looks amazing, and there's way more story than I expected the game to have. Super hyped, but I was already getting this day 1!

Vorundor

Just finished the demo and I am in love with this game already!! Too bad we only get a limited number of play throughs :(.

The English voices work GREAT IMHO, they fit the mood and feel of the characters. I wouldn't mind an Anime OVA some time in the future either, or maybe some DLC !

Either way, this game is just TOO MUCH FUN!!!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Looks cool, but I still have no idea how it plays. I'd like to try out the demo, but I don't have a Wii U.

Droplet

Is having an important side character named "Luka" going to become a pattern in Kamiya games? Such an odd thing to carry over from one game to the next.

Was only considering a purchase to support P*Games and Nintendo, but now I very much legitimately want a copy. This game looks crazy awesome.

Kinda like Kid Icarus Uprising on steroids.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Stereotype black character with the shortest introduction. Please with the BS.

as a black man, im loving the character, though i agree he had the shortest introduction, possibly because he's the last main character you get and so probably has the fewest solo scenes

MAX PAYMENT

I'm amazed at how much gameplay depth they were holding back until this trailer! It used to look too simple, now it looks awesome. Can't wait.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amazed at how much gameplay depth they were holding back until this trailer! It used to look too simple, now it looks awesome. Can't wait.

It was a smart move I think. Multiple Unite morphs in 101 is looking to be the most complex system in any of their games to date.

No way they could have explained the concept well before the direct. People already had trouble understanding the game when it was thought you only controlled one hero at a time.

Now the reveal just makes sense lol. Like when they announced the system the game just clicked for me in my head. All the numbers made sense now with that final part.(100 total heroes and the 20-50-100 ratios for morph sizes.)

He's Indian (rockin struggle braids), and most people seem to love him.

dat struggle

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It was a smart move I think. Multiple Unite morphs in 101 is looking to be the most complex system in any of their games to date.

No way they could have explained the concept well before the direct. People already had trouble understanding the game when it was thought you only controlled one hero at a time.

Now the reveal just makes sense lol. Like when they announced the system the game just clicked for me in my head. All the numbers made sense now with that final part.(100 total heroes and the 20-50-100 ratios for morph sizes.)

dat struggle

the struggle is wonderful

nded

I actually really like the art style. I figured they intentionally based the proportions and the plasticky look on those gashapon figurines you get in Japanese vending machines.

Top Bottom