• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
What, do you need freaking God himself, or Bishop, to come smack someone around so people will stop being this obtuse.

The man himself has said what his title is...

You can even GOOGLE it. Oh my, sometimes on GAF...

Seriously, I haven't updated my LinkedIn page in over 2 and half years either.

are you asking that I get banned? the fuck?

And Maybe he works as Director Of Marketing at Microsoft and didn't need to update anything.

Dude, what the heck? He posts on this forum. I just QUOTED what he said in the last month.....

Seriously. This is beyond crazy. Like Birtherism. Even LinkedIn's main title at the tops says he is only Product Planning....Marketing was his previous position.

Chobel

Are you serious?

Unless you can prove that he don't work as Director Of Marketing at Microsoft, then yes I'm serious.
Dude, what the heck? He posts on this forum. I just QUOTED what he said in the last month.....

Seriously. This is beyond crazy. Like Birtherism. Even LinkedIn's main title at the tops says he is only Product Planning....Marketing was his previous position.

He said he's not PR = Public relations =/= Marketing.

jockstrap74

Neo Member
What am I reading? Are you suggesting that the ex Director of Marketing who is now running Product Planning receives a bonus that links his posts on an online message board to Xbox sales?

What the flying fuck?

I think your reading to much into the fact that hes posting on GAF has a direct correlation to a bonus structure.

Maybe my post was confusing, if pre-orders where low there then the bonus structure would likely be low, so in a reversal of it the more "good news" can put out there the more chances of an increase in pre-orders, so more than likely a higher bonus.

Maybe my post was unclear

teiresias

The fact that he's in Product Planning isn't really any better since that would mean he was instrumental in planning the horrid initial DRM implementation.

QaaQer

What am I reading? Are you suggesting that the ex Director of Marketing who is now running Product Planning receives a bonus that links his posts on an online message board to Xbox sales?

What the flying fuck?

Using gaf to market products. naw that never happens.

Besides, you know that there are people whose entire job it is to post on places like twitter, facebook, and even forums pretending to be someone else?

If I was advising someone who was looking to engage the public in social media, I would strongly advise having a pro do twitter/forum/facebook shit; or at the absolute least, have every twit, fb post, forum post re-written by a PR guy before going live.

AP has enough intelligence and PR experience not to need this, probably.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I asked you a question about who Shu is and this is your reponse....classy.

You are seriously uninformed enough to not know who Shuhei "Shu" Yoshida is? He's the one who opened Sony's Gamescom show by actually using the PS4 OS. I'm surprised you don't know him seeing he's better than most of the big 3's execs and is right on twitter with us. He's even acknowledged GAF and rolls with punches. See the thread where David Cage put him to sleep.

Laid that million dollar dream right on him.

You now know.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Fantastic interview.

Albert is very frank and straight forward in his responses, good on him for acknowledging Sony's efforts as well.

I can't believe people in this topic are hating on something as straight forward as this interview lol.

are you asking that I get banned? the fuck?

No, I just remember Bishop is the one that tagged Albert on this forum, so he can just say "hey, he is this...end of story."

If it is another mod, they can say it. Just everyone is crazy over a misprint on LinkedIn that HE himself has to update. Not the press....

I think your reading to much into the fact that hes posting on GAF has a direct correlation to a bonus structure.

Maybe my post was confusing, if pre-orders where low there then the bonus structure would likely be low, so in a reversal of it the more "good news" can put out there the more chances of an increase in pre-orders, so more than likely a higher bonus.

Maybe my post was unclear

But you can't honestly think he believes that posting on GAF will have any tangible effect on his bonus, do you? Because that's absolutely insane.

It actually went 7 whole pages of real discussion before going off the rails

Great interview

He is great at providing info that is actually very understandable and to the point. A great corporate asset IMO, for any company.

I just don't see why people are so intense on down playing the guy.

There's also an interview with him at Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-xbox-one-licensing-plan-was-a-little-ahead-of-consumers/

Shots fired:

When pressed, he brought up one example from the coverage of Sony and the PS4 that he found particularly galling. "I only give this as an example because if this was us it would be the biggest news on the planet: no one has seen their box. No one has actually seen the insides of that box, no one has seen a piece of code running on their box. [Dev kits] are not the retail unit. The form factor they've shown—we showed the inside of our box, the inside of our unit back at E3. Everything you're seeing here is running off production code, except for the games that are still running on PC.

"I still haven't seen anything running on that actual [PS4] box," he continued. "It could be meaningless, I'm not condemning them to anything, but you've got a dev kit that's this big and a form factor that's this big, and I would like to see that running in that box. If we were doing the same thing... when we had that little thing at E3 where someone was running on a PC, even though we had said some games will be running on PCs, it was a huge conflict—[people said] we're having connection problems, we're having development problems. Now I'm showing everything running on a real shipping unit, and if the roles were reversed it'd be the biggest [issue]: 'We're all screwed, everything's terrible.'"

KHarvey16

Am I actually arguing that a guy with the title 'director of marketing' isn't in the business of marketing with people?

Where is that twilight zone gif.

Director of Marketing is not his title. Is English not your first language?

Can you back what you're saying? In linkedin it says he works also as "Director Of Marketing"

His Linkedin is not up to date. Feel free to refer to his twitter or his posts discussing the subject here on GAF.

Marleyman

Banned
You are seriously uninformed enough to know who Shuhei "Shu" Yoshida is? He's the one who opened Sony's Gamescom show by actually using the PS4 OS. I'm surprised you don't know him seeing he's better than most of the big 3's execs and is right on twitter with us. He's even acknowledged GAF and rolls with punches. See the thread where David Cage put him to sleep.

Oh him; I just wasn't aware of him enough to call him "Shu." Thanks for the info.

p3tran

Banned
No 400hp Porsche is faster than a 700hp Corvette...that is a ridiculous analogy.
a 420hp gtrs with slick tires and suspension will probably lap faster than a zr1 on stock tires/suspension. the same can happen if you try and strip the porsche of its unnecessary weight.
in this way of thinking, a lightweight gtrs with 420hp can lap faster not only from a zr1, but from a bigturbo porsche 911t with mods for extra power, but without mods for sticking to the road.

his point is tweaking stuff and the improvement you get from there. so its not all that wrong.

You are a car guy but think that a 300-400hp Porsche can be faster than a700hp Vette... I believe the analogy you were looking for is how can a 500hp GTR be faster than a 650hp Ferrari Enzo.
your analogy is more clear on strictly oem cars and parts, yes. but see above.

Seriously. Coming to GAF used to be fun....

Then leave? There are literally thousands of other threads available for your entertainment? if these threads are so sensitive to your enjoyment of Gaf , ignore the usual suspects, or the threads themselves? quit being a drama queen.

It just so happened the only way to make instant switching work meant doing something game publishers have been wanting to do for a decade now. Kill the used game market. What a coincidence.

Well, yes. It's also a "coincidence" that digital games on every other marketplace "kill the used game market" while also allowing instant switching and other conveniences, heh.

It would've been up to customers to decide if the conveniences of instant switching with
some, since apparently publishers could limit this
games bought on a disc, and being able to sell that same disc at Gamestop or "participating retailers" was worth the 24hr check in (to make sure that you don't install a game, sell it back to Gamestop, and then keep playing it indefinitely at home). For me and my gaming habits personally, I would've been fine with it (and would be better than current Steam from a pure "consumer rights" standpoint, since I could have some degree of limited resale and lending, as opposed to the zero I get now on Steam), but obviously a lot of others have different gaming habits and preferences (and internet connections!), which is totally fair.

Of course, we never got a chance to see that theory tested, since that version of the system won't be released to the public :p Well, in a limited sense, the theory was was tested via pre-order numbers, I suppose...

QaaQer

He does not have more than one title. Perhaps you should spend less time trying to prove someone is lying about their position and more time learning how to distinguish between the past and present tenses. It will help you recognize simple oversights like this in the future.

again, what does:

October 2000 – Present (13 years)
mean?

BigDug13

Seems like the "cool" kids have chosen their product. Either fall in line or get picked on, I guess.

That's kind of funny in a way. As the Xbox brand has made a name for itself as being the "cool console" over the years. That Sony can somehow take that away. Is that because of the things that Sony has done to inflate their image to that level, or because of the things Microsoft has done to deflate their own "cool" image?

Or maybe in attempting to pander to dudebros so hard, it looks like someone trying too hard and actually comes off as a little insulting to those same people? (Doritos, Mt Dew, "Visceral Experiences")

I really don't know.

The_Monk

Thank you very much for posting it fellow GAFfer, just finished watching.

Albert Penello, is also a GAFfer? I was wondering what would be the best form to get in touch with him for just some simple questions. I've been at Microsoft HQ recently in my country and I ended with an amazing recommendation Letter from the MS Product Planning itself in here, it sure does means a lot to me and I believe they don't to this very often.

If any kind fellow GAFfer can help me with this, please, let me know. Thanks in advance.

---

As for Sessler I think he did some good questions, nice interview overall.

Wereroku

Product planning is part of Marketing though for people saying he is unrelated to that. Albert is here to explain some of the vagueness sorrounding the XBO. Though some of you need to calm down and accept that he is not here only because he enjoys neogaf. He wanted to clear up some confusion but he is also trying to get people excited for a product he enjoys and believes in. Both sides are being a little extreme with everything. I think Albert is a cool dude and needs to be cut some slack. Most of the crappy policies were probably dictated by the highest levels and he had to work with what he got.

watership

I just don't see why people are so intense on down playing the guy.

He works for Microsoft. Microsoft is not liked on gaf. Xbox is not generally liked on gaf as of late. The Xbox One is not particularly liked on gaf. This isn't everyone, but it's a large, loud majority.

Wereroku

That's kind of funny in a way. As the Xbox brand has made a name for itself as being the "cool console" over the years. That Sony can somehow take that away. Is that because of the things that Sony has done to inflate their image to that level, or because of the things Microsoft has done to deflate their own "cool" image?

Or maybe in attempting to pander to dudebros so hard, it looks like someone trying too hard and actually comes off as a little insulting to those same people? (Doritos, Mt Dew, "Visceral Experiences")

I really don't know.

Man I really hate all the Mountain Dew adverts with Xbox I have to wonder how much that actually does for the game or system being advertised. I would love to look at that marketing research. And there we go I wish Albert was still Marketing so he could shed some light on that.

BigDug13

Since MS has supposed shills in every corner of the industry. Who are the ones that are identified as shills for Sony?

Oh they exist I'm sure, they're just a lot tougher to see because they're in the middle of the wave of good sentiment towards Sony. They're not really any sort of "dissenting voice to the majority opinion" if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom