• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixlexic

Banned
I know im in the minority, but i like what MS has done lately. Unfortunately, gamers hold grudges and hate MS. But for me, im excited for xbox one and i preordered the day 1 edition today at Wal-Mart.

Nah just a few really loud fanboys can seem like a herd.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I know im in the minority, but i like what MS has done lately. Unfortunately, gamers hold grudges and hate MS. But for me, im excited for xbox one and i preordered the day 1 edition today at Wal-Mart.

What must you think about Sony's strategy then since they have had their act together for a long while longer and still do so to this day

Nah just a few really loud fanboys can seem like a herd.

There are plenty from both sides. Some are drive by's while others are passive aggressive.

test_account

XP-39C²
Also LMAO at 9.25. No just no. Discs are not going to disappear altogether anytime soon and they haven't in other media like movies and music. Furthermore anyone else find it hilarious how he tries to say what the XB1 was doing is similar to steam. Are you kidding me right now? How stupid do they think we are?
It was actually the Steam approach. There are several of retail physical games that requires Steam, and that installs the full game and activates the game on Steam. After that, the disc isnt necessary, and the disc is basically useless unless you want to install the game again. This was the approach that Microsoft was trying to take.

This is low, really low.

Yeah, it's a pretty lame move.

Any Xbox employee should be very well-versed in how Sony's historically managed the way their system works ( no way they didn't do their research on competitor's hardware policies and design ), and he should know full well Sony devkits and final hardware always look different, and Sony's never shown games running on retail hardware until one month before release because retail hardware doesn't run games-in-development.

But whatever.

Your fault for taking things so literally that you cannot see his point. Digital is in the process of overtaking physical across all media as the majority of sales and distribution if it hasn't already done that in many specific media types.

Listen to what he says and digital is nowhere close to taking over gaming lol. The percentage of players who buy COD or FIFA digitally are in the definite minority.

It was actually the Steam approach. There are several of retail physical games that requires Steam, and that installs the full game and activates the game on Steam. After that, the disc isnt necessary, and the disc is basically useless unless you want to install the game again. This was the approach that Microsoft was trying to take.

Oh boy, heres the tired old argument that XB1's policies was like Steam.

From an old thread
- Steam isn't a closed platform. You don't need a particular box to use it.
- Steam works on any PC or laptop, long after a generation of new hardware, even two, or three.
- Steam allows you to download the game an unlimited number of times on any number of computers.
- Steam has far superior prices and sales.
- The basic RRP for a PC game is less than that of a console game, with Steam, usually cheaper.
- Steam is primarily a digital download service, with less emphasis on actual physical retail discs
- Steam allows for complete offline play. No check ins at all once a game is downloaded.

MS tried to place DRM on discs and they got destroyed for it.

Great interview made some good points. However my problem with the Xbox One features, more particular, is its something that is kind of redundant when you see the way games are being made. For example, system level things like game switching is probably the coolest thing.

Kinect recognizing my voice.. Cool but it's so limited in speech and doesn't feel natural. I absolutely hate voice recognition software that has designated voice commands that you have to say in order for it to respond. It's my biggest beef with that software. Saying "Xbox On or OK, Xbox" is ugly and cheesy. Work on making that a natural response.

As for everything else, it's fluffy but unneeded also kind of hypocritical. This is the company that is betting heavily on "online" infrastructure and having something like hand to hand switching is also redundant in a sense. Yes it's a cool option but I really don't like when they tote it as this must have feature that they aren't even concerned about in the first place. They want you to play online, not play couch to couch.

Either way, they weren't trying to be like Steam but wanted to be like Apple. They want to control the marketplace and tell people where to go and that's not how gaming in a sense work. It's gives off this impression that customers are no longer in control and publishers and manufactures who are only suppose to make the system appeal to us are also dipping their fingers in to run us as well. I didn't like that with the initial Xbox reveal and obviously from what he is saying, that isn't off the table. I hate to agree that at some point we will be in that same line of speech however there's a better way and I feel I'm not going to see that from MS.

Listen to what he says and digital is nowhere close to taking over gaming lol. The percentage of players who buy COD or FIFA digitally are in the definite minority.

But it is and, depending on how particular you are about what defines gaming, it already has. He specifically points out iOS/Steam when talking about digital gaming. How you didn't notice that, I don't know. When this gen is going to have maybe five or six big publishers in total, outside of the first party, that can afford to build and market 'AAA' games, all that is left is indies who won't be releasing their titles on Blu Ray discs (at least not initially). Digital is the future whether you like the sound of that or not.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No doubt. I'm confused as to who is interviewing who here. Did Sessler bring his resumé?

Almost. He still needs information about the benefits package, 401K company matching, and a start date.

I'm sure he's not getting a "money hat", but rather buttering up a future employer.

Well I guess Microsoft always has Arthur Gies as a back up.

Seriously, I'm not sure why they haven't hired these guys yet. They've certainly paid their dues.

ZkamDnp.gif

Christ dude, you have some fucking agenda.

TheKayle

Banned

im sure that behind the wall of xb1 haters the most at least in usa will buy the xb1 as always

Steamworks disc games are usually ignored for some reason in all these discussions. It's mostly the same "violation of my consumer rights!" in that case as well, but I guess it's overlooked due to Steam sales.

Which is fine, and I actually agree, but I think that shows that for the vast majority of people, it isn't really a "consumer rights issue", but a pricing/value/convenience one (which of course, where Steam currently is king).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Talk about fighting that good fight.

Yes.......I don't see where you're going with this. Elaborate more since this is a baseless statement.

It's always either/or with you people (please catch feelings). I preordered both.

In this case, it's asking the one who only seemingly has an Xbox (according to his profile). I can only go by what I see so it's an honest question since Sony has had their act together. That's not some big secret.

But it is and, depending on how particular you are about what defines gaming, it already has. He specifically points out iOS/Steam when talking about digital gaming. How you didn't notice that, I don't know.

Depends where you are in the world.

The entire region of Asia are close to 95% retail, 5% digital. People here are still sentimental over physical ownership.

Japan is very high as well at the high 90s, due to the extremely high prices of games there and therefore, the size and importance of the used-game market there.

Australia is extremely low on digital. Bandwidth constraints, cost, import options all lend to a higher retail than digital by far.

Practically half the world are nowhere near ready to be in 'digital.'

p3tran

Banned
It's obvious what he was trying to imply, but the technical details don't support the impression he's trying to create. He's just spreading FUD.
FUD? as in fear, uncertainty and doubt?
no, he doesnt!
you might say that he is being optimistic about his product here, but then again, until we see how the same game performs in both systems, he is just as wrong for what he says as exactly are wrong those who say that ps4 will have a 40% advantage..

But it is and, depending on how particular you are about what defines gaming, it already has. He specifically points out iOS/Steam when talking about digital gaming. How you didn't notice that, I don't know. When this gen is going to have maybe five or six big publishers in total, outside of the first party, that can afford to build and market 'AAA' games, all that is left is indies who won't be releasing their titles on Blu Ray discs (at least not initially). Digital is the future whether you like the sound of that or not.

Digital has been the future for years now yet physical still exist. It doesn't matter how much they push it, physical will always exist and if they continue to make it so that it has to eventually be forced... I can see a lot of hacking becoming a new job in the world. 10 years from now, we are still going to have disk and it will probably change again to a new format, to some new type of fad.

The entire region of Asia are close to 95% retail, 5% digital. People here are still sentimental over physical ownership.

Japan is very high as well at the high 90s, due to the extremely high prices of games there and therefore, the size and importance of the used-game market there.

Australia is extremely low on digital. Bandwidth constraints, cost, import options all lend to a higher retail than digital by far.

Mobile gaming is changing that fact pretty quick though. The real point I would take away is that main line console games are too expensive. If they go digital, companies should pass some of the cost savings back to consumers to help with the transition. So far, no one is willing to start that process.

So when asked to justify the inclusion of Kinect with the resulting increase in cost, Albert couldn't come up with a single gaming reason. The best he could say was that because Kinect is included with every console devs will finally make use of it. That ignores the fact that the original Kinect wasn't ignored and over 80 Kinect specific games were made. It also ignores the fact that the PS4 doesn't have motion control built in. Using their own logic, that would mean that devs would not include Kinect specific features because to do so would lock them out of the PS4 market.

So my take-a-way is that Microsoft has no gaming reason for the Kinect's existence.

FortMajor

Banned
The same usual suspects shitting up an Xbox one thread.

great interview with Albert. Really unique insight into the Xbox one.

von zipp

I thought it was a pretty good interview.
The questions were pretty much to the point and covered a lot of stuff being discussed in forums.
Albert seems like a decent guy and answered pretty much straight up.

Right, well, when talking about consoles, we're really talking about North America and the UK as the main territories for sales and majority userbase. Consoles have never been a worldwide thing despite being available all over the world outside of the biggest, most important markets. Most of the world uses older consoles when they've been properly launched there and when the prices might be more palatable to that market and not just the middle and upper middle class that buy the majority of those platforms in those countries.

TheKayle

Banned
not INCREDIBLY, but nonetheless wrong. He said there's nothing better looking than Forza or Ryse on PS4. but PS4 has Infamous and The order:1886.

that arent "better" but different you agree? (of the order we seen a cinematic pretty much and cinematic by cinematic i prefeer quantum break)

Of course it was. But the best part was the end where he tried to imply that if the roles were reversed the outcry would be a lot bigger.

Poor Microsoft always picked on by press and gamers. Like it happened with RROD where the press never dared to reported it for 1 year or the FIFA hacks that get swept under the rug everytime a press guy gets hacked but his account recovered in record time (unlike us the tier 2 Microsoft customers). Why doesn't anyone think about the poor little Microsoft. I'm tired of this kind of injustice in this World.

It wouldn't be bigger? I can see the "6 months behind schedule confirmed" posts right now.

no, he doesnt!
you might say that he is being optimistic about his product here, but then again, until we see how the same game performs in both systems, he is just as wrong for what he says as exactly are wrong those who say that ps4 will have a 40% advantage..

PS4's GPU is 40% (can't remember the exact numbers) more powerful. Thats is not an opinion but a fact of the hardware specs unlike what Albert is saying. Having eSRAM doesn't overcome the disparity between DDR3 and GDDR5

Digital has been the future for years now yet physical still exist. It doesn't matter how much they push it, physical will always exist and if they continue to make it so that it has to eventually be forced... I can see a lot of hacking becoming a new job in the world. 10 years from now, we are still going to have disk and it will probably change again to a new format, to some new type of fad.

No one, including myself, has stated that physical will go away, but it won't be the majority of sales in the future when the biggest markets are moving that way now on consoles and the biggest gaming platforms (iOS/Android) are already there and growing at a rate that makes console platforms envious.

Mobile gaming is changing that fact pretty quick though. The real point I would take away is that main line console games are too expensive. If they go digital, companies should pass some of the cost savings back to consumers to help with the transition. So far, no one is willing to start that process.

What does mobile have to do with anything. Mobile is an on the go connection.. Not sit at home connection. Two different things. Outside America, those same countries have some of the best mobile infrastructure, some even far faster and cheaper than the US, however when it comes home networking.. That's a whole different thing. Sadly we (USA) aren't even the fastest but we pay the most for it.

No one, including myself, has stated that physical will go away, but it won't be the majority of sales in the future when the biggest markets are moving that way now on consoles and the biggest gaming platforms (iOS/Android) are already there and growing at a rate that makes console platforms envious.

This is selective and does not fit a global scale. These businesses are international and they have to internationally make it easier for other countries to be on board with their vision. If only 2 out of the many markets are digital, then yes digital will be heavily marketed there but if physical is still a preferred way then you will still have to be that way.

What's bugging me the most about digital only is how big it will get until we won't be able to keep anything. As you have noticed, digital has evolved to the point that we have to subscribe to things just to use it. We haven't even officially gotten to the point where we can keep it. It's those cases that physical will still exist regardless of mobile payments.

Where is all this hate for Adam Sessler coming from? I thought it was a good interview and he asked the questions I wanted asked.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
With regards to physical discs. Over the next 10 years my internet download speed isn't going to improve...the same goes for most consummers. A few people will get lucky with google fiber. Yet optical discs will see major performance enhancements. The new Sony/Panasonic disc format will store more data and have quicker data rates. Having the option for physical discs is a good thing for consummers. There are new potential breakthroughs with optical discs. Researchers set a record storing holograms in graphene. Who knows what might be feasible with that in the future? Same goes for lasers...they are getting more power and cost effcient every year. The future is a blend of physical and digital.

Nicely obfuscated attack on consummers with DRM and the used game market though.

KaYotiX

Banned
Ugh, console wars......

Why do ppl feel the need to defend a company that doesn't care about them at all? Is it because they cant afford both and feel the need to defend their choice?

Watching now, but I already have one massive request for Microsoft.

Please, PLEASE, stop using "killer" as an adjective. Thanks.

no, he doesnt!

Uncertainty and Doubt are exactly the emotions he has been trying to elicit in potential customers since his first posts on GAF. The whole point of the analogy was to try and make the hard numbers seem like they aren't meaningful. Without actually lying he is trying to give the impression that it's all still up in the air. But it's not. We know the numbers and we know the architectures and we've heard from developers and we can see there is no way the PS4 doesn't come out on top by a significant margin. He knows that, too, but he doesn't want anyone who might be making a decision to know. He wants them to think it's unclear who is on top. So he keeps spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt. It's a fairly classic "dirty trick" companies with a technology deficit employ. It's also one MS has recently used in their anti-Google ad campaigns.

Ugh, console wars......

Why do ppl feel the need to defend a company that doesn't care about them at all? Is it because they cant afford both and feel the need to defend their choice?

Well that works both ways, what about attacking or being overly facetious

Ugh, console wars......

Some sort of wierd loyalty to a brand. I've never understood it either. If they don't pay you then why do their marketing for them? They really don't give a shit about us.

quickwhips

Oh boy, heres the tired old argument that XB1's policies was like Steam.

From an old thread

MS tried to place DRM on discs and they got destroyed for it.

I'm not trying to start anything but DRM on disc is what we have now with Sony and MS. What did you mean by this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom