• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE Officially Announces 40GB PS3 for 399, lowers 60GB Starter Pack price to 499

Agent X

Rhindle said:
Sony is going to be taking a bath on this 40GB model. The manufacturing cost difference compared to the current 60GB model is going to be negligible. They're not going to want it out there as their sole SKU, if they can take a much smaller loss by having a 500 EUR model on the market.

Negligible? What?

If anything, this new strategy revolves around a new board design that allegedly has quite a noticeable cost reduction to them! This is their motivation, they can manufacture the 40 GB for much less and approach hardware profitability more quickly.

If the cost difference was "negligible" then they wouldn't have even bothered!

Barakov

Gold Member
If I'm reading this right, Famitsu says Japan is getting the 40 GB version as well. It'll come in black and ceramic white. They'll also have a campaign or some such that Spiderman 3 will give a set amount of copies with the purchase of the 40 gig. I think it's 200,000 or something along those lines.

And it seems on October 17th they'll be cutting the prices of the 20 gig and 60 gig by about 50,000 yen.

Jonnyram

Japan gets the white hardware at last.

whiteps3.jpg

zeroshiki

Barakov said:
If I'm reading this right, Famitsu says Japan is getting the 40 GB version as well. The Dualshock 3 will be packed in. It'll come in black and ceramic white. They'll also have a campaign or some such that Spiderman 3 will give a set amount of copies with the purchase of the 40 gig. I think it's 200,000 or something along those lines.

And it seems on October 17th they'll be cutting the prices of the 20 gig and 60 gig by about 50,000 yen.

BY 50,000 yen?!

Hell yes, FREE PS3 FOR ME!!!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
nice - that 39980 is the magic price point for Japan to start biting.

and White is coming! :)
Looks sexy !

but can i get a regulard 60 gig in white please.

P.s. EUROPE get bf`ed again - no DS3 probably because they were throwing them all into the Japanese packs.... poor Europe :(

creamsugar

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/071009ae.html

NEW PLAYSTATION®3 (CECHH00 SERIES) COMES IN TWO COLOR
VARIATIONS AT A NEW PRICE

New PS3 with 40GB HDD to become available at 39,980 Yen on November 11th, 2007
Along With DUALSHOCK®3 at 5,500 Yen

Tokyo, October 9, 2007– Sony Computer Entertainment Japan (SCEJ), a division of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) responsible for business operations in Japan, today announced that it would launch a new PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) model in Japan on November 11th at a recommended retail price of 39,980 yen (including tax). The new PS3 is equipped with a 40GB hard disk drive (HDD) and comes in two color variations of “Clear Black” and newly introduced “Ceramic White” to meet a variety of users’ lifestyle and preferences. Along with the introduction of the new model, the company also announced that effective October 17th, 20GB HDD and 60GB HDD models currently available in the market will have a recommended retail price of 44,980 yen and 54,980 yen (including tax) respectively.

Moreover, DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller which was revealed at Tokyo Game Show, will become available in the Japanese market on November 11th in two colors of “Black” and “Ceramic White” at a recommended retail price of 5,500 yen including tax.

While holding the state-of-the-art technologies which define PS3 as an advanced platform to enjoy next generation interactive entertainment contents on Blu-ray Disc as well as via broadband network at home, new PS3 comes in the market at a highly attractive price. Reflecting both the increased efforts to improve software development environment and the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles, the new PS3 will no longer play PlayStation®2 titles.

On the software front, more than 40 disc based software titles for PS3 as well as more than 30 of downloadable new PS3 games and demos via PLAYSTATION®Store in Japan have been released to date in the Japanese market since the system’s launch in November 2006 and more innovative and exciting new titles are expected to be released toward the holiday season, which include “Dynasty Warriors 6” (KOEI Co., Ltd.), “WORLD SOCCER Winning Eleven 2008” (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), and “TIME CRISIS 4 with GUNCON3” (NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.) as well as key upcoming first-party titles such as “GRAN TURISMO 5 Prologue”, “Ratchet and Clank FUTURE:Tools of Destruction” and “Heavenly Sword”.

Additionally, in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment(Japan)Inc., SCEJ will give a complimentary copy of the original Blu-ray Disc movie, “Spider-Man™ 3”, to 200,000 purchasers of the 20GB HDD and 60GB HDD models that are currently available in the market from October 17th as well as new PS3 from November 11th as part of its marketing campaign.

SCEJ will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment with innovative and exciting new titles and an enhanced line-up of PS3 systems.

Doc Evils

Barakov said:
If I'm reading this right, Famitsu says Japan is getting the 40 GB version as well. The Dualshock 3 will be packed in. It'll come in black and ceramic white. They'll also have a campaign or some such that Spiderman 3 will give a set amount of copies with the purchase of the 40 gig. I think it's 200,000 or something along those lines.

OMGZSOAWESOME.

Why doesn't Europe get this?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I can't believe the machine will be just £170 in Japan!
I live in the UK so it'll be tough finding somewhere to ship to the UK, as long as I can get one for £250 all in I'm happy. Ebay's calling me :D

Will it play my PAL R2 DVDs? If not I'll stick with my PAL 60GB.

Wollan

That white one is a real beauty.

Had you asked me in August I would never had believed any of this. Strong worldwide price drop and release of lower end PS3's in time for Christmas on all continents.

Price drops are great. :) When I'm ready for a PS3 I'll be getting one that has backwards compatibility, but you can't complain when you're given cheaper options.

Obaid

Banned
WAIT WAIT WAIT

If Japan gets the PS3 for 39980 yen which is 242,70 € and in white and the PS3 is region free and does not play ps2 games anymore, why should'nt we all go yo amazon japan and buy a Japanese ps3?

What are the differences between the Japanese and the EU ps3?

Obaid said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT

If Japan gets the PS3 for 39980 yen which is 242,70 € and in white and the PS3 is region free and does not play ps2 games anymore, why should'nt we all go yo amazon japan and buy a Japanese ps3?

If I'm not mistaken BR regions are different.

DCharlie

about 200E worth of shipping costs? ;)

If I'm not mistaken BR regions are different.

Amazon.com - US and Japan are the same region - HELLO cheap BRs! (relative for Euro importers/Jpnese)

lupinko

Geezer said:
I can't believe the machine will be just £170 in Japan!
I live in the UK so it'll be tough finding somewhere to ship to the UK, as long as I can get one for £250 all in I'm happy. Ebay's calling me :D

Will it play my PAL R2 DVDs? If not I'll stick with my PAL 60GB.

If I remember correctly PAL R2 players can play JP R2 discs, but not vice versa.

So are they going to drop the 20GB and 60GB models in Japan also?

EDIT: While Bluray regions maybe different between PAL and NTSC, it should be noted that most BD releases have either no region lockout or support all regions.

Of course there will be some that will be locked to one region due to distribution, but even Sony doesn't really enforce it (Australia got the Spidey Trilogy BD set first, like a month ahead of the NA street date, and the Aussie release is regions A/B/C).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
but can i get a regulard 60 gig in white please.
I'd settle for the 80GB even, but yea. I think they are only doing this to make me buy both colors. :p

I wonder if this means Korea will get the White and price drop too...

Midas

Obaid said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT

Oh, that's CHEAP. Maybe it's time to sell my regular PS3 and get a WHITE one!

But I remember people talking about that games are affected by the hardware it's played on so that things that's censored in Japan will be censored in your PAL game? True?

Raist

Banned
chespace said:
The usual Sony fans on GAF see this as good news, not bad news.

Can't you Sony fans just get along?

:lol did you even read the thread.

There's a difference between giving solutions to people if they really want BC, and saying "THANK GOD BC is gone, awesome news"

The only ones that speak about good news here are refering to the big price drop. They don't give a shit about BC, I think.
Just like a lot of potential consumers. The kind of consumers targeted by this SKU. Not the hardcore that has a 150+ games PS2 backlog, a 50" plasma that upscales like shit on its own and who absolutely wants a PS3 for $399 but not $499.

lupinko

Midas said:
Oh, that's CHEAP. Maybe it's time to sell my regular PS3 and get a WHITE one!

But I remember people talking about that games are affected by the hardware it's played on so that things that's censored in Japan will be censored in your PAL game? True?

So far I only saw that with my NTSCUC Resistance when I played it on my NTSCJ PS3, but that was fixed with a NTSCUC game save.

For games that have all the localizations on the same disc, the disc's content can be based on the region of your console.

But that's not always the case, since localizations and censorship can also be based on the disc itself like NGS. NTSCUC NGS is not censored on a NTSCJ PS3.

Really at the end of the day, it depends on the developer.

R0nn

So I was browsing through the PS2 compatibility list just now, and I noticed that some of the games I'd like to play have one block, which means: Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues.

So, what does 'noticeable issues' entail exactly? Also, what's up with three versions of FFXII and the like? And how is God of War II not supported? God of War is, so why can't the second game which seems to run on exactly the same engine and stuff?

I really hope they keep updating the b/c through future firmware releases so at least all the best titles can be played without any issues.

Kosma

Banned
R0nn said:
So I was browsing through the PS2 compatibility list just now, and I noticed that some of the games I'd like to play have one block, which means: Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues.

So, what does 'noticeable issues' entail exactly? Also, what's up with three versions of FFXII and the like? And how is God of War II not supported? God of War is, so why can't the second game which seems to run on exactly the same engine and stuff?

I really hope they keep updating the b/c through future firmware releases so at least all the best titles can be played without any issues.

My friend gets slowdown while playing Jak he says. Dynabyte isn't allowed to break the street date by the way :-( One more night. Guess I'd better go to the gym or do some homework or something. The wait is driving me loco.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
R0nn said:
And how is God of War II not supported? God of War is, so why can't the second game which seems to run on exactly the same engine and stuff?
I played God of War II all the way through on a PAL PS3 and never noticed any issues!

R0nn

Geezer said:
I played God of War II all the way through on a PAL PS3 and never noticed any issues!

Ok, so I guess the list is not up to date then or whatever.

Also, Jak 1 isn't on the list either, but it does run with slowdown? I guess Sony is making it appear worse than it is.

Dynabyte isn't allowed to break the street date by the way :-(

Any info on other stores? I noticed Intertoys, Bart Smit and Free Record Shop are advertising it on their sites too. And does the street date embargo include both the pricedropped 60 gig and new 40 gig SKUs?

Edit: Just noticed the list is based on firmware 1.80. Just informed and they are already at firmware release 1.92. I guess that explains it.

Kosma

Banned
R0nn said:
Any info on other stores? I noticed Intertoys, Bart Smit and Free Record Shop are advertising it on their sites too. And does the street date embargo include both the pricedropped 60 gig and new 40 gig SKUs?

It includes both, seems Intertoys is already selling at the new price according to Nintex here (in Noordwijk at least).

Raist

Banned
R0nn said:

Their list sucks. It's not up to date at all (still on FW 1.80) but even when it was up to date there were some errors / missing games.

GoWII works fine.

As for the multiple FFXII (or some other games) it's because there were several "releases" of those games. There's a code to identify your version (SCE-XXXX) You can find it on the games disks.

DCharlie

i know i prefer the PS controller for PES and everything but isn`t playing the importance of PES up a little dangerous if MS slash the price of the X360 in response?

Busty

Banned
DCharlie said:
i know i prefer the PS controller for PES and everything but isn`t playing the importance of PES up a little dangerous if MS slash the price of the X360 in response?

That's a sizeable 'if'. If ever MS were going to be in a comfortable position with pricing this gen it's right now.

With the heady combo of both HALO3 and Xmas right around the corner MS have no need to cut the price. Next year will be different story, but this Xmas, MS cutting the price is just taking money out of their pockets.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned, but going from Sony's tech sheets this new SKU is 'approximately' 0.6kg lighter than the previous models. Smaller power supply and heatsink due to 65nm possibly? We already know the power supply has a lower max consumption rating.

tanod

when is my burrito
Valkyr Junkie said:
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned, but going from Sony's tech sheets this new SKU is 'approximately' 0.6kg lighter than the previous models. Smaller power supply and heatsink due to 65nm possibly? We already know the power supply has a lower max consumption rating.

That pretty well confirms 65nm. Can't wait to see those pictures. It's always really interesting to see the Sony engineers at work.

The PStwo still boggles my mind with how so damn small it is.

Firewire

Banned
Geezer said:

Yeah same here played both GOW1 & 2 up-scaled on my N.A PS3 with no issues at all. Damn they looked incredible to.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Geezer said:
I second that experience. Played perfectly and yest Sony has not kept the compatibility list up to date.

Has this been posted?

"The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on 10th October, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semi conductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software emulation alone.

"The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly. As we have mentioned on several occasions, our engineering resources are now focused on developing new and innovative features and services for the PS3 and, as a result the 40GB model does not have backwards compatibility with PS2 titles."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/10/09/40gb_ps3_could_do_backwards_compatibility_/1

Squeak

duk said:
BC for 360 and PS3 is the same now, if you want it, buy the higher end sku.
But I don't want to buy now!
I want amble time to save up, I want to wait and see for as long as I damn well please.
I don't want to be pressured into a buy now.

Firewire

Banned
Squeak said:
I want amble time to save up, I want to wait and see for as long as I damn well please.

You still have time. Plus the 80GB will still have BC.

Squeak said:
Then don't give in? Just look at all those people who are holding out for he Falcon despite Bioshock and Halo 3.
Firewire said:
You still have time. Plus the 80GB will still have BC.
1. SCEE is unlikely to go with an 80gb unit.
2. Sony said they have no plans to include backwards compatibility in future PlayStation products.

If you have a source that contradicts me then spill the beans.

Top Bottom