• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE Officially Announces 40GB PS3 for 399, lowers 60GB Starter Pack price to 499

Guy Legend

Truespeed said:
Then buy a 60GB PS3 and quit your whining. If it's too expensive then buy a 360 and quit your whining.

Oh yes, expressing my dissapointment in the removal of BC is whining indeed.....

Thanks for your original insight. Kids......

Z3F

Banned
Wollan said:
The stupidity of the chatter *right now* is that there are people here willing to pick up a PS3 40GB and a game for 460 but "refuse" since it doesn't have BC while they *right now* (and probably for a couple more months) have the chance to buy a higher end bc supporting PS3 with an extra controller and two games for 499.

I think some people are waiting for it to drop even more and they're just upset that there'll be no BC when the PS3 finally hits 300 or so. Personally, I don't think BC will make a difference for the mass market but I can understand how it's a big deal for the hardcore gamers that can't quite afford a PS3 yet.

mepaco

spwolf said:
again, if you read post I was replying to, it certainly seems as if he doesnt want to purchase ps3, period.

If you aren't going to take the trouble to read anything but a single post, why bother. Anything can be taken out of context and twisted. Here is what he said on the same freaking page:

Forgotten Ancient said:
Because some people are claiming it's just another "excuse" to diminish the value of the PS3. Trouble there is that it's a very valid reason and the key difference between me buying one at $399 and me not buying one at all.

I really do like when people try to pressure others with things like "well, hope you're willing to wait a few years" etc. With the Wii, DS, 360, PS2, PC, and soon to be PSP - I can wait.

The quote you responded to simply echoes the same sentiment:

Forgotten Ancient said:
I'm not in Europe. And no, the PS3 isn't worth $399 w/o BC. It wasn't worth it at USD $499 in the 60GB form and it definitely wasn't worth it $ $599 for 80GB and Motorstorm.

Lightning

Banned
JCBossman said:
Yeah, I agree but if they get this 40gb version down to $300 next year, along with the upcoming games staying on schedule and delivering, Holiday 2008 "Might" be seriously competitive with the 360, this year is going to be OWNED by the 360
The 360 has owned the PS3 in Europe since when?

Truespeed

Fatghost said:
Why does anyone have to stop complaining?

They aren't happy. They have a right to complain. The consumer should always demand more for less. That's the consumer's right.

Why does it offend you if he wants to complain about this? What's it matter to you?

What makes you think I'm offended? I just gave him some options. As for why it matters to me? What makes you think it does? I really don't care what he does.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Truespeed said:
What makes you think I'm offended? I just gave him some options. As for why it matters to me? What makes you think it does? I really don't care what he does.

Telling him to stop "whining".

Redd

I was spoiled I admit it. When the PS2 came out and it had BC that was a BIG reason why I decided to go with Sony over the Dreamcast. I feel bad about that because I didn't support the console with the most games over a system that gave me the ability to play all the PSone games I had.

Seriously guys not to long ago one we use to brag how much games a person would have if they got a PS2 over say, a gamecube because of BC. Like I said before i'm in the minority that feels this is a bad move by Sony to take this out and I hope this is just a SCEE thing. This philosophy of if you want to pay less you get less doesn't fly with me. Looks like i'm going to have to wait awhile before I can jump in. That or a killer deal on Black Friday.

Loudninja

The important thign right now is to get the PS3 in many hands as possible, and with this price drop on the 60 GB, and the new 40 gig, it will happen.

spwolf

Redd said:
I was spoiled I admit it. When the PS2 came out and it had BC that was a BIG reason why I decided to go with Sony over the Dreamcast. I feel bad about that because I didn't support the console with the most games over a system that gave me the ability to play all the PSone games I had.

Seriously guys not to long ago one we use to brag how much games a person would have if they got a PS2 over say, a gamecube because of BC. Like I said before i'm in the minority that feels this is a bad move by Sony to take this out and I hope this is just a SCEE thing. This philosophy of if you want to pay less you get less doesn't fly with me. Looks like i'm going to have to wait awhile before I can jump in. That or a killer deal on Black Friday.

my opinion probably comes from the fact that I had PS3 for 10 months now and never played PS2 game on it :lol

Lightning

Banned
JCBossman said:
Werll the 360 owns the UK and the UK=The rest of Euroland combined. But I was refering to the NA market
Are you full of shit or what? The 360 only has 1.4mil in the UK which is not owning anything and the the UK is NO WHERE fucking near = all of EU combined.

And there isn't even a confirmation about a $400 price in the US...

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
spwolf said:
my opinion probably comes from the fact that I had PS3 for 10 months now and never played PS2 game on it :lol

Experiences vary. In my case, I've had my PS3 since January and I play pretty much only PS2 games on it so far. Probably about 85% of my time with the system is PS2 games.

MoxManiac

I thought of another benefit to BC; it causes the games from the previous generation to stay on shelves longer at places like gamestop.

Up until recently, gamestop had a pretty extensive psone and GBC used section, which probably would had been eliminated much sooner had it not been for BC.

Also, GBA and GC games still have dedicated sections. Do I think BC is partially responsable? Yes I do.

nerbo

Well, this thread has finally reached the point where all you can do is whine about the bias of others. Maybe in another day or 2 we can hurry it up and boil it down to nazi labeling.

Jesus, the $400 price point was perfect for me, but the lack of BC kinda kills it. I was really looking forwards to playing MGS3, GoW2 and Kingdom Hearts 2 on the PS3.

Redd

I think I game to much because my PSone when I traded it in only played games if i tilted it at an angle. It was a godsend that PS2 gave me BC. Now my PS2 is on it's last legs and I just assumed PS3 would spoil me again. I can wait just dont take out that BC sony when you eventually drop the price for real.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Lightning said:
Are you full of shit or what? The 360 only has 1.4mil in the UK which is not owning anything and the the UK is NO WHERE fucking near = all of EU combined.

Well there is the leaked Best Buy docs.

Oh, and no Sony PR, but according to this thread, if Sony says something is happening, it's not really happening. So maybe no official PR about the unit in the US means it's confirmed?

Lightning

Banned
Fatghost said:
Well there is the leaked Best Buy docs.

Oh, and no Sony PR, but according to this thread, if Sony says something is happening, it's not really happening. So maybe no official PR about the unit in the US means it's confirmed?
Best buy can't confirm shit, that was why we had to wait for SCEE for the Europe confirmation. Until the SCEA confirms it, nothing's confirmed.

JCBossman

Banned
Lightning said:

OK, OK no need to get your ledenhosen in a bunch...I am just saying Romania or Poland isn't exactly a console buying powerhouse.:D

mepaco

Lightning said:
Dude, Sony lie.

It was just last month that SCEE said that the 60GB was the only planned SKU for this fall... and now look...

It's PR spin, what to see what happens when the 60GB sells out, there is little doubt in anyone with brains mind that they are obviously planning something. Whether it will contain BC no one knows, but we will deal with it then.

Lightning said:
Best buy can't confirm shit, that was why we had to wait for SCEE for the Europe confirmation. Until the SCEA confirms it, nothing's confirmed.

So, until the liars confirm it, we can't believe it's happening. Anyone with a brain knows that another BC model is coming even though they said otherwise, but we can't assume the $400 price is coming to the US because they haven't confirmed it. Gotcha.

Lightning

Banned
mepaco said:
So, until the liars confirm it, we can't believe it's happening. Anyone with a brain knows that another BC model is coming even though they said otherwise, but we can't assume the $400 price is coming to the US because they haven't confirmed it. Gotcha.
Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo all lie, this is a known fact. They only tell us what they want us to know, not what they are actually doing. 2 different situations you posted there.

Until SCEA confirms it, no 40GB for the US. That is fact!

Just like it's also fact that SCEE said last month that 60GB was the only sku planned in EU for this fall.

Again, it comes back to people still thinking that SCEE will run with only the 40GB long term and common sense says that they won't.

mepaco

Lightning said:
Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo all lie, this is a known fact. They only tell us what they want us to know, not what they are actually doing. 2 different situations you posted there.

Until SCEA confirms it, no 40GB for the US. That is fact!

Just like it's also fact that SCEE said last month that 60GB was the only sku planned in EU for this fall.

Again, it comes back to people still thinking that SCEE will run with only the 40GB long term and common sense says that they won't.

So we can't believe the things they say but if they don't say something is happening, it isn't.
facepalm.jpg

Flakster99

A few points.

Getting angry or being an obnoxious "fanboy" makes no sense to me. I'm not paid by neither side to buy said respective product. I own no stock nor am I employed by either of the big 3. I get no amusement and do not derive my self worth by picking the right side.

So for the few of you repeated preachers out there, dissing these so called PS3 haters, whiners, weren't going to buy a PS3 anyway posters because their POV differs from your own, kindly fuck off.

Respectfully,

Flakster99

Truespeed

Guy Legend said:
You seemed upset by my dissapointment in the lack PS3 BC with your "stop whining" rhetoric.

:lol Thanks. I didn't know what my options were...

And you retorted with your "kids" rhetoric. Trust me, you'll have little time to play games and when you do find the time it won't be playing PS2 games.

nerbo

Flakster99 said:
A few points.

Getting angry or being an obnoxious "fanboy" makes no sense to me. I'm not paid by neither side to buy said respective product. I own no stock nor am I employed by either of the big 3. I get no amusement and do not derive my self worth by picking the right side.

So for the few of you repeated preachers out there, dissing these so called PS3 haters, whiners, weren't going to buy a PS3 anyway posters because their POV differs from your own, kindly fuck off.

Respectfully,

Flakster99

Ouch... :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Flakster99 said:
A few points.

Respectfully,

Flakster99
In our own thread? It was not us "preachers" who told all the "whiners", who hardly come into PS3 threads, to post the same stuff since page 1 of this thread.

Loudninja

LiquidMetal14 said:
In our own thread? It was not us "preachers" who told all the "whiners", who hardly come into PS3 threads, to post the same stuff since page 1 of this thread.

Just ignore them man, its no point.

sony said that their PS3 is the most powerful gaming console, but the PS3 don't even have the power to emulate the PS2. Sony, next time please think before saying anything to the public. If not we will think that u put ur brain inside water:lol :lol

Flakster99

LiquidMetal14 said:

Huh? In our own thread? /boggle

You've misunderstood the point of my rant, LiquidMetal14. I am being treated as a PS3 hater, whiner, someone who wasn't going to buy a PS3 anyways type poster, that is my point.

Being told to quit your bitching, STFU, deal with it is just icing on the "preacher" cake.

Mar

silentsunami said:
sony said that their PS3 is the most powerful gaming console, but the PS3 don't even have the power to emulate the PS2. Sony, next time please think before saying anything to the public. If not we will think that u put ur brain inside water:lol :lol

This thread can't get any wor... Oh wait.

NIghtWolf

silentsunami said:

Sorry but from all the comments, this is the most ignorant I have heard so far.

you have a confusion here. This is not precisely about power but about HOW.

Jonnyram

Man, Europe gets the rough deals ALL the time :(
Are they discontinuing the 60GB semi-BC model too?
Way to kill the PS brand. They may as well change the name of the next machine if it's not going to retain the BC heritage.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
*bows down to Flakster99s awesome post*

Way to kill the PS brand. They may as well change the name of the next machine if it's not going to retain the BC heritage.

we are one step closer to Wollan`s HOMESTATION prediction ... (?)

Cruzader

Banned
silentsunami said:

Im pretty sure ps3 could but every ps2 game would need its own type of emulation needed meaning its not as easy as it sounds but possible.

Also if a superior console cant emulate an inferior/"old gen" console doent mean the superior console is weak. For instance PSP. Its the most powerful handheld atm and with the CFW, one can play old systems like let say SNES. PSP can actaully emulate it pretty damn well except for a handful of games that run choppy/slow or not at all because those game might need to be emulated differently than most game but that doesnt mean PSP is not "powerful" so dont be trolling.

Cruzader said:
Im pretty sure ps3 could but every ps2 game would need its own type of emulation needed meaning its not as easy as it sounds but possible.

Also if a superior console cant emulate an inferior/"old gen" console doent mean the superior console is weak. For instance PSP. Its the most powerful handheld atm and with the CFW, one can play old systems like let say SNES. PSP can actaully emulate it pretty damn well except for a handful of games that run choppy/slow or not at all because those game might need to be emulated differently than most game but that doesnt mean PSP is not "powerful" so dont be trolling.

i know that the PSP can even emulate the GBA, i think is the matter of efforts they put. If Sony want to do that(PS3 emulate PS2), i don't think that they can't, is they don't want to.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Johnny said:
Weren't you guys saying PS brand as a force was dead like 10 months ago? ;)
Anyway, if the SACD part is true it's a pretty blatant indicator of what's going on, and it most certainly won't mean uniform extra-features across high and low end SKUs.

silentsunami said:
sony said that their PS3 is the most powerful gaming console, but the PS3 don't even have the power to emulate the PS2.
Wherever was there any mention of power to emulate the PS2?

Christopher

silentsunami said:
i know that the PSP can even emulate the GBA, i think is the matter of efforts they put. If Sony want to do that(PS3 emulate PS2), i don't think that they can't, is they don't want to.

What is this SHIT?

LiquidMetal14

Fafalada said:
Weren't you guys saying PS brand as a force was dead like 10 months ago? ;)
Anyway, if the SACD part is true it's a pretty blatant indicator of what's going on, and it most certainly won't mean uniform extra-features across high and low end SKUs.

Wherever was there any mention of power to emulate the PS2?
Sick 'em. And I want to know this as well.

LiquidMetal14

Flakster99 said:
Huh? In our own thread? /boggle

You've misunderstood the point of my rant, LiquidMetal14. I am being treated as a PS3 hater, whiner, someone who wasn't going to buy a PS3 anyways type poster, that is my point.

Being told to quit your bitching, STFU, deal with it is just icing on the "preacher" cake.
Just tell me when I was that rude to you or anyone on this board.

Redd

I don't think that's legal though. I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to illegally emaluate PS2 games on the 40 gb PS3 they could.

Redd said:
I don't think that's legal though. I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to illegally emaluate PS2 games on the 40 gb PS3 they could.

Yes. it is illegal. but how come outside average joe can do it and sony can't?

Lightning

Banned
mepaco said:
So we can't believe the things they say but if they don't say something is happening, it isn't.
facepalm.jpg
Are you dumb or something?

If you believe what SCEE said last month then the 40GB PS3 can't possibly be released in a few days....

SCEA need to confirm before anything is official regarding new products or skus, just as SCEE needed to confirm for Europe.

mepaco

Lightning said:
Are you dumb or something?

If you believe what SCEE said last month then the 40GB PS3 can't possibly be released in a few days....

SCEA need to confirm before anything is official regarding new products or skus, just as SCEE needed to confirm for Europe.

Wow ... just wow. If you can't follow the discussion don't even try.

Top Bottom