• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE Officially Announces 40GB PS3 for 399, lowers 60GB Starter Pack price to 499

mepaco

fortified_concept said:
There's no battle plan I'm just calling you people out. I'm tired of this hypocrisy watching you pretend you have an honest opinion.
OH NO HE CAN READ OUR MINDS THROUGH THE INTERTUBES! THE JIG IS UP!!! NOBODY COULD POSSIBLY BE ANYTHING BUT HAPPY WITH A LOSS OF BC!!!!!

fortified_concept said:
DCharlie is the guy that first thing he did after buying a PS3 was to write a compaint list in GAF about PS3. First. thing. he. did.

I wasn't a member of these boards at the time, but when I bought my Wii I posted a similar thread the next day. There were a lot of things that I didn't like and I wanted to let others know in case they were contemplating a purchase. How hard is it to understand that somebody can be critical of something without being a troll or having an agenda?

DCharlie

Banned
DCharlie is the guy that first thing he did after buying a PS3 was to write a compaint list in GAF about PS3. First. thing. he. did.

which would be great if i did - but i didn`t .... as with most things, the complaints came a few days later.

Also - you hardened fanboys need to realise that complaining against things that aren`t QUITE right is what you are SUPPOSED to do. Lying down and taking things that aren`t quite right is not what being a fanboy is all about - lying down and taking it is being a little bitch.

Again, for whatever reason, you have me built up as this uberbad guy PS3 hater in everything i do - i`m not as bad as you think. My reviews are entirely reasonable, my statements here are ENTIRELY reasonable, and my handling of your silly outburst hear is entirely reasonable.

The issue here is that for whatever reason you lack any ability to discuss anything rationally - you haven`t the skills to discuss why you feel it`s not a problem for sony (and as i said, i DONT THINK IT IS (but i discussed why some people MIGHT not be interested) so you resort to "usual suspects blah blah blah".

you are doing yourself no favours here in that you are turning on me when i`m one of the people saying this is a great move, that it`s an amazing price, and that i see sony going places from here.

So - yeah - "usual suspect" total...

Truespeed

tanod said:
Never say never.

People should remember too that the PS1 emulator in the PS3 is at least partly based on some of the Bleem! code that Sony sued/obtained from those emulation coders.

Quick, somebody try to make a PS2 emulator and get lots of publicity so Sony sue you and put it in the PS3 and...... GO!

Really? So Sony needed Bleem x86 PS1 emulation code to get PS1 emulation working on the Cell? Just amazing considering they wrote the actual PS1 firmware themselves and then needed to rely on a poor emulation project to get it up on running on the mighty PS3. Could you site your source?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Christopher said:
Oh please Fatghost we paid 600 dollars for this piece of shit - and then for someone to make outrageous demands over something so petty is stupid. I dunno though your Mr. Backwards Compatibility so :lol

Dude. :lol

DCharlie said:
which would be great if i did - but i didn`t .... as with most things, the complaints came a few days later.

Also - you hardened fanboys need to realise that complaining against things that aren`t QUITE right is what you are SUPPOSED to do. Lying down and taking things that aren`t quite right is not what being a fanboy is all about - lying down and taking it is being a little bitch.

Again, for whatever reason, you have me built up as this uberbad guy PS3 hater in everything i do - i`m not as bad as you think. My reviews are entirely reasonable, my statements here are ENTIRELY reasonable, and my handling of your silly outburst hear is entirely reasonable.

The problem with you is that you're so ridiculously one-sided. An overly positive statement regarding PS3? It must be confronted. A less than positive statement regarding PS3? Must be agreed on, albeit under the guise of "the devil's advocate". Wouldn't be so ridiculous if I hadn't seen your responses to criticism of games on other systems, and the systems themselves where you're acting in very much the same ways that seemingly annoys you so much when it's coming from others. I like you and really, I don't mind you doing what you do, but could you at least drop the act? And if it's not an act, you may want to look into balancing your input a bit.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The problem with you is that you're so ridiculously one-sided. An overly positive statement regarding PS3? It must be confronted. A less than positive statement regarding PS3? Must be agreed on, albeit under the guise of "the devil's advocate". Wouldn't be so ridiculous if I hadn't seen your responses to criticism of games on other systems, and the systems themselves where you're acting in very much the same ways that seemingly annoys you so much when it's coming from others. I like you and really, I don't mind you doing what you do, but could you at least drop the act? And if it's not an act, you may want to look into balancing your input a bit.
Irony..... I'm drowning in it.

Some people here saying BC doesn't matter were singing a different tune prior to the PS3 launch. The 360 used to be laughed at for it's BC (and rightfully so), but the taunts generally came from the Sony camp.

Just like Wii owners who said graphics didn't matter only a year after nit-picking against the minor visual degradation in RE4

I love when people keep changing their argument to fit their agenda.

Shogmaster said:
Irony..... I'm drowning in it.

I think you're drowning in all sorts of other shit, dude. Besides, I certainly don't claim that I'm unbiased, at least when it comes to systems.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Some people here saying BC doesn't matter were singing a different tune prior to the PS3 launch. The 360 used to be laughed at for it's BC (and rightfully so), but the taunts generally came from the Sony camp.

Just like Wii owners who said graphics didn't matter only a year after nit-picking against the minor visual degradation in RE4

I didn't laugh at it, I was down right pissed about it. No Amped 2, no Rallisport Challenge 2. That's shit right there. But in the end, that's not what the system was supposed to be for anyway. And in this case, I see a bunch of people whining about losing BC, with the biggest whiner of them all doing it for the sake of industry, meaning he's basing his 4-day rant on a hypothetical scenario. The rest of the buggers argue that it's an incredibly important thing, but when it's not even important enough to drop some additional coin on a bundle that is really a pretty good value, I'm not going to take them seriously.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I think you're drowning in all sorts of other shit, dude. Besides, I certainly don't claim that I'm unbiased, at least when it comes to systems.

So you are a biased system warrior giving another biased system warrior advice on not being so biased? I'm drowning in something else now for sure...

MoxManiac

Forgotten Ancient said:

I've been a rabid support of BC ever since PS2's launch. Nothing has changed for me.

I also love my PS3. Not sure why it's assumed that the people bitching are somehow the ones not interested in the machine.

Shogmaster said:
So you are a biased system warrior giving another biased system warrior advice on not being so biased? I'm drowning in something else now for sure...

Get back to me when you've sorted out what my original point was, because clearly, it went way in the hell over your head.

Evlar

Banned
MoxManiac said:
I've been a rabid support of BC ever since PS2's launch. Nothing has changed for me.

I also love my PS3. Not sure why it's assumed that the people bitching are somehow the ones not interested in the machine.
Yeah, same here.

DCharlie

Banned
ith the biggest whiner of them all doing it for the sake of industry, meaning he's basing his 4-day rant on a hypothetical scenario.

.... is... is this aimed at me?

i`m at the point where some of you have decided what i posted and your reaction before you`ve even read what i`ve posted.

The problem with me is YOU pant wetting milksops.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Get back to me when you've sorted out what my original point was, because clearly, it went way in the hell over your head.
Your original point was neither original nor pointed. Discuss.

mepaco

MoxManiac said:

Yeah, I think most are like me, genuinely interested in a PS3 with BC but don't have the money to buy either version right now.

jonabbey

With PS2 BC and SACD support out of the new model, the original is seeming more and more like the high-end component that Sony priced it as.

Sony did so much work on the PS2 emulation, integrating the memory card reader support into the XMB, the complete support for memory card emulation on the hard drive, the XMB tools for switching cards, etc., etc., etc., that they can't have been planning on dropping the BC like a hot potato. I really think they just didn't expect sales to be so dismal on the fully leaded PS3.

I think I've only used the PS2 backwards compatibility like maybe 5% of my total PS3 time, but I do use it and value it for making my PS2 library fully available going forward. It'll hurt a lot of Sony's potential customers to lose the BC, and I'd never say differently, but if those customers weren't going to buy at a price Sony could afford to offer the console for, what else could Sony do?

The die is obviously cast on their new model, what Sony really needs now is some more great games (they've already got quite a few), and marketing, marketing, marketing, and marketing.

shifty100

Banned
BC does not sell consoles to the masses, so to try and reach a near mass market price sony chopped some unnessecary shit out of the machine.

People who post on gaming forums do not represent the mass market, so I think sony couldn't give a tiny rats ass about any of the chatter on the forums.

A £299 ps3, that plays ps3 games and blu-ray....sweet, does not play last-gen games.......not worried.

PS2 is the past....for the love of god quit living in the past and would someone please think of the children.

MoxManiac said:

Because some people are claiming it's just another "excuse" to diminish the value of the PS3. Trouble there is that it's a very valid reason and the key difference between me buying one at $399 and me not buying one at all.

I really do like when people try to pressure others with things like "well, hope you're willing to wait a few years" etc. With the Wii, DS, 360, PS2, PC, and soon to be PSP - I can wait.

jonabbey said:
With PS2 BC and SACD support out of the new model, the original is seeming more and more like the high-end component that Sony priced it as.

Sony did so much work on the PS2 emulation, integrating the memory card reader support into the XMB, the complete support for memory card emulation on the hard drive, the XMB tools for switching cards, etc., etc., etc., that they can't have been planning on dropping the BC like a hot potato. I really think they just didn't expect sales to be so dismal on the fully leaded PS3.

Sony was talking about a fully software based BC solution prior to launching the system. Apparently that didn't work out too well, so it had to toss the necessary hardware in there. That move likely cost a decent chunk of money, as it was partially cut with the Euro launch. I guess this gives some support to the notion that Sony may continue to pursue software BC, but we'll see. Obviously they had to react to the market and at least approach profitability. I don't think Sony ever intended on supporting hardware BC indefinitely though.

Wollan

The stupidity of the chatter *right now* is that there are people here willing to pick up a PS3 40GB and a game for 460 but "refuse" since it doesn't have BC while they *right now* (and probably for a couple more months) have the chance to buy a higher end bc supporting PS3 with an extra controller and two games for 499.

Wollan said:
The stupidity for the chatter *right now* is that there are people here willing to pick up a PS3 40GB and a game for 460 but "refuse" since it doesn't have BC while they *right now* (and probably for a couple more months) have the chance to buy a higher end bc supporting PS3 with an extra controller and two games for 499.

The existence of a cheaper tard pack doesn't justify the purchase of a more expensive SKU for me. The stupidity is when people try projecting their value perceptions on someone else and then label them a retard when they disagree.

My refusal to buy a PS3 in any of its SKUs at their current respective prices is my decision and I don't think others are dumb for feeling differently.

angelfly

Wollan said:
The stupidity of the chatter *right now* is that there are people here willing to pick up a PS3 40GB and a game for 460 but "refuse" since it doesn't have BC while they *right now* (and probably for a couple more months) have the chance to buy a higher end bc supporting PS3 with an extra controller and two games for 499.

Not everybody saying they have a problem with the 40gb is in Europe.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
AltogetherAndrews said:
And in this case, I see a bunch of people whining about losing BC, with the biggest whiner of them all doing it for the sake of industry, meaning he's basing his 4-day rant on a hypothetical scenario.

I don't know who's arguing for the sake of the industry.

tanod

when is my burrito
jonabbey said:

Where are people getting the SACD stuff from? I thought somebody posted last page that Sony owned the SACD license.

Evlar

Banned
tanod said:
Where are people getting the SACD stuff from? I thought somebody said that Sony owned the SACD license.
It popped up earlier in the thread... I didn't see the source for it though.

mepaco

tanod said:
Where are people getting the SACD stuff from? I thought somebody posted last page that Sony owned the SACD license.

Not sure where it came from but the link is to an image on au.playstation.com:

longdi said:
40gb cannot play SACD

keydifferences.jpg

spwolf

Forgotten Ancient said:
The existence of a cheaper tard pack doesn't justify the purchase of a more expensive SKU for me. The stupidity is when people try projecting their value perceptions on someone else and then label them a retard when they disagree.

My refusal to buy a PS3 in any of its SKUs at their current respective prices is my decision and I don't think others are dumb for feeling differently.

sure, but dont use fake excuses... just say you wont purchase PS3 at 399 or ever. 2 games and controler are 170 Euro value.

AltogetherAndrews said:

:lol

AltogetherAndrews said:

but you claim to be fair and impartial!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I know this has been answered, but I'm late to the thread.

BC was done completely through software on the latest models, so why are they taking that out? I don't get it.

mepaco

FlyinJ said:

BC was done completely through software on the latest models, so why are they taking that out? I don't get it.

It was never done with only software. The models that don't have full hardware BC still have the PS2 GPU so it was a mix of software and hardware.

Evlar

Banned
FlyinJ said:

The 60GB PAL units emulated the Emotion Engine but they contained, in Sony's words, a "modified" Graphics Synthesizer- the PS2 GPU. They have now removed the GS.

spwolf said:
sure, but dont use fake excuses... just say you wont purchase PS3 at 399 or ever. 2 games and controler are 170 Euro value.

I'm not in Europe. And no, the PS3 isn't worth $399 w/o BC. It wasn't worth it at USD $499 in the 60GB form and it definitely wasn't worth it $ $599 for 80GB and Motorstorm.

spwolf

Forgotten Ancient said:
I'm not in Europe. And no, the PS3 isn't worth $399 w/o BC. It wasn't worth it at USD $499 in the 60GB form and it definitely wasn't worth it $ $599 for 80GB and Motorstorm.

good for you... so why troll here? go somewhere else.

Imagine if I went to every 360 thread (since I dont have 360) and keep saying that each game is not worth 60 to me? sounds a bit stupid?

So do you, when you obviously dont have any intention on buying PS3.

Guy Legend

mepaco said:
Yeah, I think most are like me, genuinely interested in a PS3 with BC but don't have the money to buy either version right now.

I didn't want to spend over $400 on any game machine, but I was ready to buy a PS3 at the new price. But without BC which is something I would never have imagined removed, I will hold off buying one anytime soon......or may go the 360 route instead.

Truespeed

Forgotten Ancient said:

We know you want it. But, you just can't afford it. If you want I can send you a $1 paypal donation to help you with your financial status.

spwolf

Guy Legend said:
I didn't want to spend over $400 on any game machine, but I was ready to buy a PS3 at the new price. But without BC which is something I would never have imagined removed, I will hold off buying one anytime soon......or may go the 360 route instead.

oh, I see... 360 does PS2 CONFIRMED!

Snah

Banned
Guy Legend said:

I hear the xbox 360 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games.

edit: beaten

mepaco

spwolf said:
good for you... so why troll here? go somewhere else.

Imagine if I went to every 360 thread (since I dont have 360) and keep saying that each game is not worth 60 to me? sounds a bit stupid?

So do you, when you obviously dont have any intention on buying PS3.

I think you are completely misunderstanding (or intentionally distorting) most peoples views. I don't think anybody is mad that the 40GB doesn't have BC. Sure, it is disappointing but they had to cut costs so it is understandable (should have cut WiFi). The problem is that they seem to be dropping all other BC models, leaving people who can't afford any of the current models without an option when they can finally afford one. Not wanting one at the current price is not the same thing as not wanting one.

spwolf

mepaco said:
I think you are completely misunderstanding (or intentionally distorting) most peoples views. I don't think anybody is mad that the 40GB doesn't have BC. Sure, it is disappointing but they had to cut costs so it is understandable (should have cut WiFi). The problem is that they seem to be dropping all other BC models, leaving people who can't afford any of the current models without an option when they can finally afford one.

no... post I replied to has nothing to do with leaving PS3 without BC models.. nothing at all.
Just sorry fellow trolling and admitting he doesnt want PS3.

And I would worry about BC-less future when it arrives.

Guy Legend

spwolf said:
oh, I see... 360 does PS2 CONFIRMED!

Right..... *rolls eyes*

Grasp this concept: I'm looking at buying a next-gen console and I'm undecided between the PS3 and Xbox 360. Both have all the awesome 3rd party games as well as a good deal of excellent exclusives. In this real life scenario, both consoles are neck and neck in choosing which to buy...each with its own pros and cons. Owning both an Xbox and PS2, I could simply replace one of my old consoles with the new one, buying the newest games while keeping my older collection of games ready to play. Were you able to comprehend that?

Bottom line is that BC is important to me....an excellent incentive to just get rid off your old hardware and move up. I'm tired of stacking up consoles over the years.

bigswords

AltogetherAndrews said:

lol ok that's fine, isn't DCharlie allowed an opinion then?

JCBossman

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:

Yeah, I agree but if they get this 40gb version down to $300 next year, along with the upcoming games staying on schedule and delivering, Holiday 2008 "Might" be seriously competitive with the 360, this year is going to be OWNED by the 360

Truespeed

Guy Legend said:
Right..... *rolls eyes*

Grasp this concept: I'm looking at buying a next-gen console and I'm undecided between the PS3 and Xbox 360. Both have all the awesome 3rd party games as well as a good deal of excellent exclusives. In this real life scenario, both consoles are neck and neck in choosing which to buy...each with its own pros and cons. Owning both an Xbox and PS2, I could simply replace one of my old consoles with the new one, buying the newest games while keeping my older collection of games ready to play. Bottom line is that BC is important to me....an excellent incentive to just get rid off your old hardware and move up. I'm tired of stacking up consoles over the years.

Then buy a 60GB PS3 and quit your whining. If it's too expensive then buy a 360 and quit your whining.

mepaco

spwolf said:
no... post I replied to has nothing to do with leaving PS3 without BC models.. nothing at all.
Just sorry fellow trolling and admitting he doesnt want PS3.

And I would worry about BC-less future when it arrives.

Different way of stating the same thing. Earlier in the thread he said that the PS3 wasn't worth $400 to him if it didn't have BC, so he won't buy it yet. Then you come in and say that it means he will never purchase one when that isn't what he said at all.

spwolf

JCBossman said:
Yeah, I agree but if they get this 40gb version down to $300 next year, along with the upcoming games staying on schedule and delivering, Holiday 2008 "Might" be seriously competitive with the 360, this year is going to be OWNED by the 360

yeah sure... lol at holidays comment.

p.s. see you next year when you tell us it is 199 or bust... :D

spwolf

mepaco said:
Different way of stating the same thing. Earlier in the thread he said that the PS3 wasn't worth $400 to him if it didn't have BC, so he won't buy it yet. Then you come in and say that it means he will never purchase one when that isn't what he said at all.

again, if you read post I was replying to, it certainly seems as if he doesnt want to purchase ps3, period.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Truespeed said:
Then buy a 60GB PS3 and quit your whining. If it's too expensive then buy a 360 and quit your whining.

Why does anyone have to stop complaining?

They aren't happy. They have a right to complain. The consumer should always demand more for less. That's the consumer's right.

Why does it offend you if he wants to complain about this? What's it matter to you?

Top Bottom