• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Rogers: "they've (Nintendo) set us (gaming) back a generation WAAAAAAH"

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Broktune said:
I hate Mario. I hate his fucking face.

1hewett-bw1.jpg

Redd

Broktune said:
I just wish Nintendo would release mo' bettah games. IMO, there's been this trickle of mediocrity in the games dept. from them. I hate Mario. I hate his fucking face. So I'm not looking forward to his game. I AM looking forward to Smash Bros., as I will have the chance to kick his ass all over.

:lol :lol :lol I hope they add Master Chief and Crash so we can see Sonic, Master Chief, Crash, and Samus in a 4 player free for all.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Drinky Crow said:
you clearly do not understand the aggregate soul of drinky crow
I wish you'd use caps again...That was one of the more distinguishing features between a Drinky and MAF post. As it is I can't tell if you're the real Drinky or MAF in disguise. :(

KINGMOKU

ivysaur12 said:
So this is basically the same thread that this board has seen for the past year. Nice job guys.
It also comes complete with the exact same people, saying the exact same thing.

BTW, that remark by Drinky is completly unacceptable, and I would hope something is done about it.

it seems he forgot the most important thing about videogames, FUN!

doenst matter if its not in HD fun is till fun.

Tim rogers shame on you count suckula

Grecco

We are at the Anger phase right? How long till Gaf reaches aceptance? Cause its pretty much beating a dead horse at this point.

PhoenixDark said:
The Wii will offer a much larger base of possible buyers. It'll be interesting to see how it sells though. If it sells say 500,000 and disappears than clearly something is wrong. While that number would be good overall (and no doubt positively spun by the apologists in MC threads), it would definitely fail to meet Capcom's expectations.
That would be much more than two of the PS2 releases, and just shy of the third.
nib95 said:
As is the Wiimote could have just been a GC peripheral.
Well I suppose they could've released a peripheral set for GameCube that would allow for the wiimote/sensor bar/blue light/internal storage/SD cards/wifi/USB ports/RAM (though I think it would be slower to access?), but it'd lose the opportunity to have a fresh start with a new look and name, not be able to use full-size DVDs, have no CPU/GPU upgrade, not be able to use the Wii Menu without a disc to boot it, and turn out like every other system add-on.
robertsan21 said:
Tim rogers shame on you count suckula
I haven't heard that one before. :)

Kittonwy

Banned
blu said:
wii - a gaming toy. ps3 - the best companion, lover and confidant to some poor souls. when something as the former threatens the stature of the something as the latter, threads like this happen.

delightful.

ps: i respect the ps3 as a toy and i'm buying a ps3 as soon as it hits a console pricepoint (LBP and GT5 are system sellers for me). but sony fans are unbelievable. i'll make sure to disable any voice chat in any online ps3 games i might be playing 'cause the thought of extensive verbal communication with such individuals is plain scaring.

We're the nicest fucking people you'll ever meet online actually.
Indifferent2.gif

J-Rzez

Y2Kev said:
God, I freaking love you.

but... but... :(

Sorry for modern interdepartment memo making me used to this, but I've typed like this forever... and ever... and ever...

cedric69

Drinky Crow said:
oh, and i should add that it is hilarious that you nintwats put your allegiance to a company over your allegiance to gaming. why would you want the casuals in our affairs? they don't buy the cave shooters, the niche rpgs, the wacky jappy rhythm busters, the matt hasselbeck sims, or the hex-based stat grinds. the wii isn't killing gaming, but neither are mini-game collections and gestural replacements for button presses a move forward. somehow, the promise of waggle-based verisimilitude coupled with the knee-jerk defense of your nostalgia has led you to sell out gaming's immediate future to not just the lowest common denominator but a denominator that played their new hardware for a couple marathon sessions of wii tennis and has now relegated it to a place behind the stack of hannah montana dvds. thanks for nothing, shitfucks!
Quote for overall awesomeness. :lol

Drinky Crow said:
don't you work on mobile phone games? jesus, those aren't even games.

I thought you liked Puzzle Quest?

Because that's a mobile phone / casual / blue ocean gamer game, if ever I saw one.
It also doesn't particularly benefit from HDR lighting / HD resolutions / realistic physics routines.

If 'casuals' are responsible for removing some of the tedious grinds in various genres that gamers have trained themselves over the years to accept via pavlonian response to developer padding then thank fuck they're showing up without predefined expectations and saying they don't want to put up with shitty gameplay decisions that get implemented just because that's how those genres have always played.

Bioshock could easily have had shitty behind the scenes d&d success rolls for hacking, but obviously went for a a Pipemania minigame instead precisely because of it's attempt to appeal to a 'more casual' audience.

Amir0x said:
One piece of shallow tech demo fluff is the same as another, I always say.

Portal is a tech demo. It's also GOTY for many people, because the underlying gameplay mechanic is so damn good. I can't wait to see it pop up in a 'real' FPS.

ksamedi

Wow, big Wii hate thread as usual. Anyway, I enjoy the Wii because I see it as a true evolution in gaming. Bigger worlds, more enemies or better graphics are just ways to hide the developers lack of creativity. I even think that traditional pads can't really sustain new ideas anymore, they have all been done. All a developer can do these days is create a different environment with different characters and make it seem like its new. Thats why we are seeing so many new IP these days. Not that I don't enjoy a good story every now and then, but thats not what a videogame should only be about.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Drinky Crow said:
ninthings are wholly incapable of not responding to me. to ignore me, they would have to be honest with themselves. there are wounds even the blue ocean cannot balm
Drinky: face it, many old gamers think next gen is just more of the same. I do have a been there, done that feeling when I play x360 games. Wii is trying to bring something new and fresh, and though the proof of concepts are still not quite there, there's a lot of faith to be had when you don't irrationally hate Nintendo. Metroïd, Mario Galaxy and PES are promising signs of wind of change in terms of controls.

New next gen consoles will provide the best of both world, until then there are two value propositions, both responding to a demand, and both as respectful.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
marc^o^ said:
Drinky: face it, many old gamers think next gen is just more of the same. I do have a been there, done that feeling when I play x360 games.

Funny. I get the same sensation when I look at Wii games.

Farmboy

Sorry for responding to such an old post -- thread grew fast.

A Link to the Snitch said:
HD Graphics + fun + last game in series because Capcom couldn't even come close to turning a profit < Last gen graphics + fun + Monster Hunter 4 because Capcom doesn't have to spend 20 million+ to appease graphic whore members of its fan base

Short-term fun, long-term fun... hmm...

Well, in Rogers' defense (and no, I'm generally not a fan of the guy either), he does concede that point. He also admits, to an extent, that his conclusion that a Wii MH3 will be a downgrade overall is speculation at this point. But his arguments for that speculation aren't wholly uncompelling: the game was intended for PS3, and the change was made in order to lower its budget. That doesn't instill much faith that it'll be one of those rare titles that makes brilliant use of the WiiMote -- and for the shift to benefit MH3-fans, it would have to make such brilliant use of the WiiMote that this compensates for the superior visuals and online infrastructure (the latter possibly more important than the former, even) that the PS3 version, in all likelyhood, would have had.

But yeah, as a business decision, of course it makes perfect sense -- which is why Capcom can't be faulted for it. And I don't think Rogers is faulting them for it, to be honest, he's merely bemoaning the state of affairs (which, as has been pointed out, is a much Sony's own fault as anyone else's). Laugh at his bitter tears if you must, I can kinda see his point.

Prine

Banned
I've never sold a console i've bought before. Wii is the first. Sold it to my cousin for £100 with Wii Sport and Zelda.

You look at the release list, look at the direction Nintnedo and 3rd parties are headed, you simply relize the Wii is not going to provide the games you want.

No big deal, I think Japan is the only territory that the Wii has control over, fortunately in the west 360/PS3 dominate software which justifies 3rd parties to invest in high budget games, as the return on these games are huge.

And one reason why the west are slapping the shit out of the east this gen *runs*

Safe Bet said:
I don't post in threads about toys...

Then you mean you never post in a gaming thread?

Because that's what videogame consoles are, you know. Toys.

Well, I suppose there's Blu-Ray playback and all that, but that's really OT stuff.

No big deal, I think Japan is the only territory that the Wii has control over, fortunately in the west 360/PS3 dominate software which justifies 3rd parties to invest in high budget games, as the return on these games are huge.

The PS3 isn't 'dominating' software. Far from it.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Prine said:
I've never sold a console i've bought before. Wii is the first. Sold it to my cousin for £100 with Wii Sport and Zelda.

You look at the release list, look at the direction Nintnedo and 3rd parties are headed, you simply relize the Wii is not going to provide the games you want.

And one reason why the west are slapping the shit out of the east this gen *runs*
neochievement_facepalm.gif

Safe Bet

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Then you mean you never post in a gaming thread?

Because that's what videogame consoles are, you know. Toys.
Art > Entertainment > Toys

Try again...

Protip: Moby Dick =/= Toy

M3d10n

Farmboy said:
Sorry for responding to such an old post -- thread grew fast.

Well, in Rogers' defense (and no, I'm generally not a fan of the guy either), he does concede that point. He also admits, to an extent, that his conclusion that a Wii MH3 will be a downgrade overall is speculation at this point.

Before melting down, amirite?

How can a game be a downgrade of a version that probably never existed outside of the realm of ideas?

I think that if Capcom had never mentioned the PS3 version before people wouldn't be so bitter about it. The commotion and bitterness is about to surpass the DQIX drama, with MH3 being brought up in nearly every thread.

Sho Nuff said:
With over 800 replies, Tim has won...and then some

The majority of this thread (I've read the whole thing and consider myself worse off for having done so) has surprisingly little to do with what Tim Rogers wrote. Most of what discussion that does centre around Tim Rogers is mainly asking who he is, or commenting on his pretentiousness and propensity for verbose language in his writeups.

Safe Bet said:
You are lost within your simpleton perceptions but alas the devaluation of art is not new.

Neither is the undeserved elevation of videogames - not that much has one to do with the other.

Protip: We're discussing the latter here.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Sho Nuff said:
with his name on this thread I'd say he's winning all over your faces
8 pages of pseudo-gonzo journalism in a "review" of Animal Crossing.

This man could win the lottery and marry the world's hottest woman, and that would still only cancel out his failure.

Safe Bet

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Neither is the undeserved[\b] elevation of videogames - not that much has one to do with the other.

Protip: We're discussing the latter here.

You do not belong here...

*ignore*

Out of interest, Safe Bet: what games would you consider to be works of art comparable to great works of literature, film, sculpture or painting?

MrNyarlathotep said:
Out of interest, Safe Bet: what games would you consider to be works of art comparable to great works of literature, film, sculpture or painting?

Also, if you say SotC, Ico or Bioshock, I reserve the right to laugh in your face with spittle.

stilgar

McDragon said:
Explain then how DR/LP were successful and Capcom didn't go bankrupt after these two projects?

NG2 gameplay trailer showed Ryu cutting soldiers hands and yet they were still fighting, now that's AI.

Do you know a game called Perfect Dark, on N64, published about 7 years ago? You shooted your ennemies legs, and yet they still fighting you, but while limping. Ho, and if they'd losed their rifle and they saw another on the ground, they took it. WOW NEXt GEN ONLY !

Haunted

Jesus, people are still whining? Thank god for Pureauthor and Crushed keeping things in check.

And would you guys please stop quoting drinky crow - think of the children ignore list function.

Tobor

Safe Bet said:
You are lost within your simpleton perceptions but alas the devaluation of art is not new.

And where in your simpleton argument does the Wii become a toy compared to the high and mighty PS3?

Is a $3 brush not capable of painting as fine a work as a $10 dollar brush?

The graphics hardware is not as important as the minds and talents of the designers working with them.

Safe Bet

Banned
MrNyarlathotep said:
We are in the dawn of the artform so I would not dare to say we have any "masterpieces" like the other artforms but if an 80 year old women can weld three random pieces of metal together and call it art then videogames have been art for a long long time....

If I had to compare videogames to painting, I'd say we are just now starting to paint on other things besides cave walls...

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Safe Bet said:
We are in the dawn of the artform so I would not compare it to "masterpieces" of other artforms but if an 80 year old women can weld three random pieces of metal together and call it art then videogames have been art for a long long time....

If I had tto compare videogames to painting, I'd say we are just now starting to paint on other things besides cave walls...
1188628029617.jpg

Top Bottom