• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Rogers: "they've (Nintendo) set us (gaming) back a generation WAAAAAAH"

Jonnyram said:
I don't necessarily agree with the waggle, and the total lack of HD, but the industry definitely needed a machine that was massively affordable this generation. 360 and PS3 could have achieved an affordable price eventually, but with the dearth of good stuff at the end of SD gen, and the slow take-up of HD gen, the industry was going to be in a fucking huge mess, financially speaking.

And this is where the whole Wii=Fad comes from. There will come a point where the casual gamer will be satisfied with what the Wii offers and sales will stop. One of the great things about an enthusiast audience is that they are insatiable. Nintendo acknowledges this as well. They've already stated that they're moving into their next phase to win back the enthusiast gamer. Notice how their surprise conference coincides precisely with the dramatic downturn in weekly sales in Japan. We'll see if their next phase is as successful as the first.

Omar Ismail said:
And this is where the whole Wii=Fad comes from. There will come a point where the casual gamer will be satisfied with what the Wii offers and sales will stop. One of the great things about an enthusiast audience is that they are insatiable. Nintendo acknowledges this as well. They've already stated that they're moving into their next phase to win back the enthusiast gamer. Notice how their surprise conference coincides precisely with the dramatic downturn in weekly sales in Japan. We'll see if their next phase is as successful as the first.

I think third parties are a big roll as well. I'm not entirely convinced in their efforts yet (other than Capcom).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
etiolate said:
The worst case scenario is that Sony/MS upped the graphic requirement and know-how beyond that of the majority of developers and Nintendo upped the gameplay requirement and know-how beyond that of the great majority of devs, leaving everyone in two different colored dusts.

one of these scenarios is grimmer than the other, and you may not suspect how deep the rabbit hole is.

1) devlopers are lazy (i'm saying this from the POV of a developer)
2) all these years devs have been investing in graphics know-how, while the wiimote equates a blank stare.

devs would friggin love if they can take their game's n-th iteration, throw in a bunch of graphical advancements and ship it as n+1 iteration. and ms and sony almost catered to that craving until.. bloody marketing stepped in, and uttered the proverbial 'HD will make your eyes cry joyful tears!'.. oh, snap. now what do we fuckin do? how do we convice people who've been playing in HD for years (pc's wave hi) that the new console powerhouses are the shit?..

anyhow. i'm sure you catch my drift. god bless nintendo this gen - at least the direction they're pulling in brings something fresh.

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah, whatever the case, it's not just a Nintendo or Sony or MS phenomenon that these crazy-ass threads ensue. It's pretty much a matter of course when you're dealing with 'superfans' of anything.

There IS a train of thought circulation that this is purely a console specific phenomenon and I dont think there's anything you can say to convince them otherwise.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Ya know...deep deep down a part of me is happy the Video Game Console wars are back in old form. It was so boring the last few years with PS2 on top and everyone lagging behind. Threads like this take me back to the mid-90's and are never dull. :D

Odrion

Banned
I spoke to the previous owner of the cat and I wasn't being paranoid, it really does open the goddamn doors. Apparently it does this by jumping constantly at the door and pawing at the handle until it opens. I'm going to get a hold of a video recorder and catch the cat in action and post it on youtube.

Why the hell did I get stuck with a cat that opens doors. Do I really need to buy some bolt locks to stop it?

edit: I just walked into the bathroom and in the litterbox was a pile of shit, a roll of toilet paper that was clawed off of the handle and rolled over it, and a bath towel over the toilet paper and the shit. I'm starting to get scared.

double edit: Yes I'm actually serious, it really did that.

Sho Nuff said:
With over 800 replies, Tim has won...and then some
The thread has yet to reach the length of a Tim Rogers review.

I don't know whether this means he's won or lost.
Omar Ismail said:
There will come a point where the casual gamer will be satisfied with what the Wii offers and sales will stop.
Like happened to the DS.
Notice how their surprise conference coincides precisely with the dramatic downturn in weekly sales in Japan.
The surprise annual conference?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Amir0x said:
Man good thing some of the best games of all time are on PC. *phew*

Some of the best games of all time are in arcades.
Some of the best games of all time were on the Atari 8-bit computer line.
Some of the best games of all time were on the NES.

Gaming shares the love... unless you're a 3D0 owner.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Just remember....

wv4uqd.gif

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
sp0rsk said:
This is due to me working hard on banning the bat shit insane ones.

Nintendo has more "protected trolls" than any other system on this forum. I don't know why, just lucky I guess?

Or perhaps I'm wrong, maybe it's just the 2 major ones are so vocal we notice them more.
But Demi and Olimario have been banned.

arne

PkunkFury said:

It was on PC anyway.

Omar Ismail said:

they kept repeating "core gamer" at E3. huge clue right there. the core gamer drives software sales, and that's the bread and butter where money is made.

I think the DS (and handhelds as a whole) are an entirely different phenomenon that doesn't adhere to typical console convention when we try to analyze them.

ziran

Omar Ismail said:
arne said:
they kept repeating "core gamer" at E3. huge clue right there. the core gamer drives software sales, and that's the bread and butter where money is made.

I think the DS (and handhelds as a whole) are an entirely different phenomenon that doesn't adhere to typical console convention when we try to analyze them.
But, the thing is, the hardcore has nothing to do with the tastes of the mass market. I'm stunned people are still having trouble with this.

When someone on this forum thinks, Wii = Fad, because the mainstream will eventually want 360 and PS3 their reasoning is completely missing what's happening in the market, especially Japan. This is why PS3 and 360 have been such catastrophic failures in the region, and why sw sales for these systems and PSP have been so low, the mass market wants something new, to the extent traditional gaming is still stagnant/dying.

Of course there is a chance Wii might be a fad and 360 and PS3 may succeed, but it's not going to be because of HD graphics, better cinematics, or any kind of more complicated, more involving gaming experience the PS3 and 360 are currently offering. Things have changed and the hardcore has been well and truly pushed to the side, the gulf in tastes between this group and the mainstream is bigger than ever and looks like it's only going to grow.

mcgarrett

MC Safety said:
I've always argued that making a specific motion—say, jabbing the Wii remote to make Mario stab in fencing or lifting and slamming so that a wrestler picks up an opponent to bodyslam him isn't inherently more fun or exciting than using a standard controller to perform those tasks.
I definitely think there are times where a more kinetic control scheme can make a game more fun and exciting. Would you rather play House of the Dead or Time Crisis with a light gun or a D-pad?

Top Bottom