• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Rogers: "they've (Nintendo) set us (gaming) back a generation WAAAAAAH"

Weisheit

In their "Japan Report". They also go on a rant against Nintendo and Capcom for MH3.:lol

Realistically, the only reasons Capcom would push Monster Hunter 3 over to the Wii have nothing to do with the innovative control schemes or the Wii's emphasis on "fun" over "graphics" and everything to do with easy money.
the Wii has yet to actually produce a hit piece of software with actual substance. For close to a year, people have been buying the Wii as an investment in some vague awesomeness to come.
Is Monster Hunter 3 that awesomeness? I would say "probably not". If "high development costs" were in any way the reason the game was shifted from the PlayStation 3 to the Nintendo Wii -- if the developer isn't willing to pay a lot for their new game -- then what are the chances that they're also willing to think a lot when they make it? Monster Hunter 3 will just be another port-over, most likely with minimal changes to the winning formula, and minimal additions aside from a Wiimote-flapping control scheme and a much more excessively complicated online matchmaking mode.
Was "innovation" just the gateway drug, here? Either way, Nintendo is going to have to start putting their money where their mouth is -- and, on a different scale, they're going to have to put their mouth where their money is.
Hmm -- okay, Nintendo, just include some Sudoku puzzles and thirty-two variations on a minigame where you inflate a balloon by belligerently shaking the controller on a separate disc in the Monster Hunter 3 package, and maybe we can call it even.
On Nintendo's recently announced online call center:
Now, if only connecting the Nintendo Wii to the internet were easier than assembling a custom-made stereo circa 1968 . . .
That Nintendo is opening an old-fashioned call center is more or less a confession that something's wrong, and a glimmering promise that they're going to be concentrating more on online content in the future. What's next? A Nintendo Wii with a hard drive (to store all these downloadables) and 720p HD support? Maybe next year
Thinking about the possibilities, it's kind of mildly hilarious how easily Nintendo was able to play the entire world like an accordion -- they've set us back a generation, basically, and no one minds. I don't even mind, honestly. They've made us think that the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 might be too ahead of their own time, and here we are thinking, man, the Wii would be great if it had a hard drive and HD support.

Hmm -- okay, Nintendo, just include some Sudoku puzzles and thirty-two variations on a minigame where you inflate a balloon by belligerently shaking the controller on a separate disc in the Monster Hunter 3 package, and maybe we can call it even.
:lol

Aeris130

What about those (players) who weren't a part of the (last) generation?

If "high development costs" were in any way the reason the game was shifted from the PlayStation 3 to the Nintendo Wii -- if the developer isn't willing to pay a lot for their new game -- then what are the chances that they're also willing to think a lot when they make it?

If developers don't think they'll make a lot when they sell it, what are the chances they'll spend a lot when they make it?

Rolf NB

Can we get a ban on *.biz?
Gi and ng seem to be locked in a fierce battle for the fastest, extremest stupidity. Spiraling etc.

Before the thread degenerates into a pointless discussion about games which have substance, or Wii's wider effect on the industry and this generation, allow me to just say I think that's a pretty terrible article.

It reads like the ramblings of some of the posters from the MH3 thread.

What's more, is his allegations about a system with no substantial hits wouldn't have held water if he were writing this in a few weeks time. Between now and Spring, Nintendo have one of the best line ups they've ever had.

Acosta

He is right about MH3 (but I have learnt from the other day, so I am not going to discuss this at all, have fun).

psy18

I thought it was 600/500$ launch that set us back a generation.
Also, trying to sell million dollar budget game on low installed-base console seems pretty risky.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
poo.jpg

CTLance

Oh god. :lol

Have a repost of the non-pleased cunny. It manages to express what I am feeling right now after having read this article. The crying is getting obnoxious at times.
1zd42zp.jpg

Aaron

Nothing makes you more reviled in the game's industry than success. Unless of course it's unbelievable success followed by failure.

Until the game comes out and it fucking blows, this is all just premature bitching. Then again, it is Tim Rogers. (Although his interviews are pretty good for GamesTM)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Could people cry a river more about the Wii? I learned with bungie that devs will do what they do for money and a audience. I love how nintendo is getting the blame for something capcom did and sony could've avoided if they weren't so cocky and arrogant about their product pricing gotta love irrational logic. I hope I see more franchises go Wii just to see the whining of some here and on blogs across the web it's a comedy gold mine.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Rogers rant said:
the Wii has yet to actually produce a hit piece of software with actual substance. For close to a year, people have been buying the Wii as an investment in some vague awesomeness to come.
I don't really follow sales all that much but is Metroid a massive bomb or something? I remember fairly low numbers in the very first NPD it was out but wasn't it only out for like a week or something that month?

While I kind of agree with some of his points it is pretty hard to take a guy seriously when his writing conjures up impages of a fanboy so worked up that he has to occasionally take a break between sobs to steady his hands.

Miburou

Nintendo did what it did to make money. If gamers were "duped" then it's their fault. Sony fucked up big-time with the PS3 (they seem to have corrected their ways, hopefully not too late). I prefer my games on the PS3/Xbox 360 rather than the Wii (even though I have access to all 3 of them), but I'm not going to cry about it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
This sort of moaning is going to last until the next generation starts, isn't it.
That and Wii = urine/penis jokes.

Though Nintendo brought that one upon themselves...I mean seriously...

Yeah, he comes off like a crybaby in that article, but his points are valid. Anyway, it's not like he's the only one writing articles just like this.

Neomoto

The more succesfull Nintendo becomes, the more hate they'll get.

Also: Zelda, Super Paper Mario and others aren't hit pieces with actual substance? Gaming is set back a generation because of lesser graphics but while expanding the entire industrie a great deal? Ok.

too funny.. "set us back a generation" what a joke.

ps3 and xbox 360 still exist. No ones saying buy the inferior graphics of the Wii.
if you want the best graphics and that's your main concern then Buy a 360 or ps3.

it's all about the games anyways.

They make it sound like the Wii has no good games.. it has plenty of great software for a system not even a year old.. with lots of AAA titles on the way (Smash Brothers Brawl anyone? Mario Galaxy?) add that with over 100 virtual console games available. a cheaper price tag and the fact it's DIFFERENT and fresh.

I love my 360 too tons of great games and xbox live is done great. but i've seen and done it all before. Better graphics sure but that's far from next generation... i'd say their great implementation of Online is more next gen than graphics.

I like the fact nintendo did something different.. Wii sports is a blast with friends and not possible on the other systems

True next gen would be a mix of all the current consoles.. they all offer something unique .. execpt maybe the ps3.. poor sony

Miburou

Neomoto said:
Gaming is set back a generation because of lesser graphics but while expanding the entire industrie a great deal? Ok.

Saying that the PS3/Xbox 360 only offer better graphics is part of the problem, too.

m14

Neomoto said:
The more succesfull Nintendo becomes, the more hate they'll get.

Also: Zelda, Super Paper Mario.

But weren't those two games initially just for Gamecube? Hence "back a generation".

seb

Banned
people have been buying the Wii as an investment in some vague awesomeness to come.

That applies to every consoles past present and future. Early adopters are investing in promises of things to come, so what ?

M3d10n

Is Monster Hunter 3 that awesomeness? I would say "probably not". If "high development costs" were in any way the reason the game was shifted from the PlayStation 3 to the Nintendo Wii -- if the developer isn't willing to pay a lot for their new game -- then what are the chances that they're also willing to think a lot when they make it? Monster Hunter 3 will just be another port-over, most likely with minimal graphical changes to the winning formula, and minimal additions aside from a Wiimote-flapping control scheme and a much more excessively complicated online matchmaking mode.

Fixed. It's largely known and Capcom themselves confirmed that the only major changes in DMC4, as example, are in the graphics department. What are the chances the now aborted PS3 MH3 would be any different?

I think some companies missed the memo saying the games industry is a non-profit business with the objective of "pushing the technical limits always further" and that as long as they manage to recover the development costs, it's fine to have games selling less copies than their previous incarnations while costing more to develop.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Miburou said:
Saying that the PS3/Xbox 360 only offer better graphics is part of the problem, too.

Personally I find the black and white arguments from both sides like that misleading about what's really going on.

Wii graphics won't match either of those sytems, not as if they could match say crysis or ut3 maxed, but it's not as if devs are pushing the system despite whining about the power. 360 would have more to offer me but the control interface sucks for the bulk of the games I would like to play on it, that and it still breaks like whoa. PS3 is too expensive and I see it software as becoming the worst of the 3 because 3rd parties bolting on it.

Top Bottom