• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Rogers: "they've (Nintendo) set us (gaming) back a generation WAAAAAAH"

m14 said:
Bioshock could no longer run on XBOX hardware, but Zelda did run on and was released on Gamecube and SPM most certainly could. Do you see the distinction? 360 Bioshock wasn't possible last gen, all of Nintendo's were.
Every single thing that Bioshock did gameplay-wise was possible last gen. Visually, no. But content-wise and the core gameplay? Absolutely possible last generation.

Sule

PolyGone said:
the last time I checked, Sony priced themselves out of the market and Microsoft is run by a group of trained monkeys fueled by Mountain Dew. Who set us back a generation, Tim? Tim Rogers should go fuck himself with a pair of rusty old scissors.

Incoming thread by Tim Rogers on GAF titled: ''I wrote an article about the Wii, then PolyGone told me to fuck myself with a pair of rusty old scissors.. so I did... AKA the official TimR thread of scissor-but-secks''

M3d10n

Ramenman said:
Wait, this guy is having trouble with connecting a wii to the internet?? WTF? moron confirmed.

Well, lots of people have trouble connecting their HD consoles to their HDTVs using the correct cables, so it should not be that surprising.

Weisheit said:
not-my-problem.bmp

He he exactly. Nintendo made the right move and people are buying their products.

Guess some people are a little unsure if this split of the market was a little too soon and the industry really can support a high-end segment at the same time as a casual-segment. Worst case scenario is that all resources are spread to thin and we get less games for both markets.

Sule said:
Incoming thread by Tim Rogers on GAF titled: ''I wrote an article about the Wii, then PolyGone told me to fuck myself with a pair of rusty old scissors.. so I did... AKA the official TimR thread of scissor-but-secks''
He'll probably just be pissed that the rust jumped ship from the $60 shiny scissors and went for $25 regular scissors.

AndoCalrissian said:
Every single thing that Bioshock did gameplay-wise was possible last gen. Visually, no. But content-wise and the core gameplay? Absolutely possible last generation.

I would say the physics that are involved in gameplay would have been hard to pull off on Xbox.

Also the content is dependable on the great visuals and sound which makes the style os Bioshock so unique.

This thread has the potential to become a playground for the moderators.

If we can just get a few more insightful and [sarcasm]not at all alarmist[/sarcasm] views about the Wii, and have people proceed to argue about it, we'll be set.

X26

Banned
Bu-bu-but Nintendo is expanding the market, they c-c-care about gamers /dudewithnintendoavatar

Eh, not really. They're just taking more of the pie. Nintendo's doing great, and good for them, but when fanboys start trying to position them as some kind of messiah who wants what's best for the industry, gtfo. Nintendo wants what's best for their wallets and theirs alone, just like MS and Sony.

Walshicus

mepaco said:
Yeah, I was so mad when they canceled CSI because Desperate Housewives became popular. There also haven't been any good action films since Titanic came out. All my favorite bands broke up as soon as Backstreet Boys became a hit.

Oh wait, none of that happened. If there is a market for something, companies will continue to make money off of it. Yeah, sometimes resources will temporarily shift to try and ride a fad, but eventually that segment of the market reaches saturation and things level off again. Think about when Lost came out and was huge. Every network starting making similar shows, but it became too much and many of them have since been canceled. It happens in every industry all the time. Deal with it.

Of course there will always be *some* who cater to the non-casual market, but you surely must accept that the ration will be tilted in the direction I loathe for the rest of this generation simply because development houses and new publishers don't spring up overnight.

psy18

So the fact that Sony is troubled to get the installed base large enough to convince the developers is completely irrelevant to this problem?
Nintendo's success is the problem here?

jakershaker said:
I would say the physics that are involved in gameplay would have been hard to pull off on Xbox.

Also the content is dependable on the great visuals and sound which makes the style os Bioshock so unique.
Half Life 2 was on the original Xbox, which negates the physics argument. As for sound, while it was well-executed, didn't do anything particularly out of the norm (i.e. music was triggered at key points, weapons and objects had sound effects, voice over played, and the enemies had different cries and shouts).

Regarding the graphics, I don't think the core experience would suffer too terribly, honestly.

Linkup

X26 said:
Bu-bu-but Nintendo is expanding the market, they c-c-care about gamers /dudewithnintendoavatar

Eh, not really. They're just taking more of the pie. Nintendo's doing great, and good for them, but when fanboys start trying to position them as some kind of messiah who wants what's best for the industry, gtfo. Nintendo wants what's best for their wallets and theirs alone, just like MS and Sony.

Amazing how much people actually care what a fanboy says in the first place.

edit: oh wait it's gaming forum, what was I thinking

Weisheit

jakershaker said:
He he exactly. Nintendo made the right move and people are buying their products.

Guess some people are a little unsure if this split of the market was a little too soon and the industry really can support a high-end segment at the same time as a casual-segment. Worst case scenario is that all resources are spread to thin and we get less games for both markets.
Yup thats the funny thing, all this bitching and for no reason. I'm sure there's plenty of room for both segments to thrive. If that means less content for the HD consoles thats their fault not Nintendo's.

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Of course there will always be *some* who cater to the non-casual market, but you surely must accept that the ration will be tilted in the direction I loathe for the rest of this generation simply because development houses and new publishers don't spring up overnight.
Unless you can rattle off the great HD games that were canceled becuase of wii sports, your argument will continue to be a fucking joke.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
If Nintendo hadn't released DS/Wii we'd probably be wondering "where next" for a troubled industry. Sales of X360 and PS3 are well below what we saw last generation, prices have increased, dev costs have increased, and gameplay ideas have changed very little.

The fact that people are buying DS/Wii, for already or potential software, should be indication enough that many gamers are thirsty for something new and many non-gamers are interested by it.

Ramenman

psy18 said:
So the fact that Sony is troubled to get the installed base large enough to convince the developers is completely irrelevant to this problem?
Nintendo's success is the problem here?
Exactly. Plus the fact that Capcom is developing a game for the wii is also totally because of Nintendo, you know it.

mepaco

Sir Fragula said:

Not completely sure what you are saying, but if you are trying to imply that the bulk of game development will shift to the more 'casual' crowd then I definitely do not agree. Keep buying the games that you like and companies will keep making them. Simple as that. Taking it any further is just paranoid and wrong.

mepaco said:
Not completely sure what you are saying, but if you are trying to imply that the bulk of game development will shift to the more 'casual' crowd then I definitely do not agree. Keep buying the games that you like and companies will keep making them. Simple as that. Taking it any further is just paranoid and wrong.

looks at fallout 1 and 2 boxes, and vampire: bloodlines.

*sobs*

mepaco

ZombieSupaStar said:
looks at fallout 1 and 2 boxes, and vampire: bloodlines.

*sobs*

There is a new Fallout coming ... unfortunately it seems to be a departure from the old ones. It works with types of games and genres, but not necessarily individual titles and IPs, though that can hardly be blamed on the 'casuals' and market expansion.

For those who haven't clicked the article to read Tim's comments in context, basically-

He discusses the announcement of MH3 for Wii. He points out it was initially announced for PS3, and makes many of the same arguments disappointed Monster Hunter fans and Sony fanboys made in the MH3 thread. The sentiment of the whole article is tinged with the bitterness he obviously feels about this whole move. He either wanted it on PS3, or he wanted it on Xbox 360 to give it a chance in Japan. Neither of those happened, and despite noting that Monster Hunter is a "forward thinking" series that can be good whether it's on "PSP or Wii", he's still not happy about it - and seems to blame Nintendo, even though he references Capcom's official line himself in the article: that it was canned for PS3 because of the development costs.

He obviously doesn't believe that and seems to suggest Capcom were money-hatted for it. Fair enough, that's not inconcievable. But his argument that if they're not prepared to spend the money on a HD version, they obviously won't be prepared to make the Wii version good is an absolute load of rubbish... and his comments about Sudoku and such aren't witticism, it's childish.

How he managed to take the news of a 1500 Wii Point Square Enix game and turn that into a reason to complain about how difficult it is to connect a Wii to the Internet is beyond me (does this man even HAVE a Wii?)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shouldn't the topic title be prefaced by "Tim Rogers:" and not "next-gen.biz:" here? I'm pretty sure his wacky mind doesn't represent the site's official views. Was that article supposed to be an editorial?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I seen the title, thought "Ooh, next-gen.biz moaning about Wii, again" and wondered who wrote it, clicked link, Tim Rogers.

Yes, I think thats enough for me.

*exits thread*

jakershaker said:
Pretty easy logic to figure out.

If a dev puts more money into making Wii games = less money being spent on ps3/x360 games. And if Wii gets exclusives and you don't have a Wii then you can't play that game anymore.

Buy a Wii then? If you don't then I guess you just don't like the game enough to buy a Wii for it. Seriously people act like waggle is the spawn of the devil himself. Does it make game more fun? Sometimes. But it certainly doesn't make games any less fun. If you're hardcore enough, as I assume many of you are and can afford a PS3 or 360, I'm quite sure you can afford a Wii too.

k79

Banned
Thinking about the possibilities, it's kind of mildly hilarious how easily Nintendo was able to play the entire world like an accordion -- they've set us back a generation, basically, and no one minds.

Indeed.

Its (imo) disgusting how Nintendo put a $250 console on the market that in overall power doesnt even beat the last-gen xbox.It's an overpriced gamecube with waggle and people applaud them.I loved the NES and SNES growing up, i hated the N64, wished the Gamecube got more love from devs cuz i loved the Cube, and hate the Wii with a passion.

wazoo

BishopLamont said:
Buy a Wii then? If you don't then I guess you just don't like the game enough to buy a Wii for it.

It depends on the game. I would not buy Assassin Creed on the Wii. Zack and Wiki, day 1 purchase for me. I hope editors are clever enough to design game for the system.

mcgarrett

I said a few months back that Monster Hunter is the one game, right now, that could push the Xbox 360 out the door in Japan, and perhaps convince Square-Enix to put Final Fantasy XIII on the Xbox 360 instead, which could possibly result in a landslide victory. Now, with Capcom putting Monster Hunter on the Wii, everything's grown auspicious. Square-Enix is too multi-faceted (well, within one franchise, anyway) to put Final Fantasy XIII on the Wii due to "high development costs"; so the only real "loser" here ends up as the Xbox 360.
I think they should spend less time whining about the Wii and more time on copy editing.

psy18

k79 said:
Indeed.

Its (imo) disgusting how Nintendo put a $250 console on the market that in overall power doesnt even beat the last-gen xbox.It's an overpriced gamecube with waggle and people applaud them.I loved the NES and SNES growing up, i hated the N64, wished the Gamecube got more love from devs cuz i loved the Cube, and hate the Wii with a passion.

Somebody gave them the chance to do it.

Cryect

jakershaker said:

So unique it reminded everyone of System Shock 2. Which means it was fairly unique but it wasn't because of the visuals of Bioshock that remind people of System Shock 2 (which wasn't that good of a looker when it came out). The style is based on its gameplay, story, and structure not on the graphics or physics (which I'm confused what physics did you think could only be done on todays technology there was nothing that special about it really).

k79 said:
Indeed.

With that logic you should love the Wii two times more than the Gamecube, since it's two Gamecubes duct taped together.

just going by the thread title, I think most of us feel this way...I KNOW I DO...but making money is first priority...and when you can get over, you make sure you get over!

Wii is a good platform, hopefully it does more over the next 5 years...because, honestly, if Sony did this, as in release a slighty enhanced PS2...GAF would implode

kurosawa

Let's be honest here. The problem is not the Wii. It's not its lack of potential or waggle. None of this would matter if it wasn't being as successful as it is now. If the Wii was selling much like the Gamecube, everybody would laugh at it and no one would care if it was SD or if you would have to waggle your way through games.

This isn't about games and graphics.

jordan0386 said:
just going by the thread title, I think most of us feel this way...I KNOW I DO...but making money is first priority...and when you can get over, you make sure you get over!

Wii is a good platform, hopefully it does more over the next 5 years...because, honestly, if Sony did this, as in release a slighty enhanced PS2...GAF would implode

On the contrary many wished they did release a slightly beefed up PS2. The price would've been alot cheaper.

kurosawa said:
Let's be honest here. The problem is not the Wii. It's not its lack of potential or waggle. None of this would matter if it wasn't being as successful as it is now. If the Wii was selling much like the Gamecube, everybody would laugh at it and no one would care if it was SD or if you would have to waggle your way through games.

This isn't about games and graphics.

Spot on.

If Nintendo set us back a generation, they were only able to do so because consumers chose it. Assuming Wii sales hold out, this is the general populace telling the games industry to slow down a bit and let its costs catch up so that $400 - $600 consoles don't happen anymore.

mcgarrett

jordan0386 said:
just going by the thread title, I think most of us feel this way...I KNOW I DO.
If anything set the industry back it was Sony and MS relying on HD to sell consoles -- bearing in mind that only about 20% of Americans own one, and even less have them hooked up properly. That and the $10 next-gen tax.

Neomoto said:
The more succesfull Nintendo becomes, the more hate they'll get.

Also: Zelda, Super Paper Mario and others aren't hit pieces with actual substance? Gaming is set back a generation because of lesser graphics but while expanding the entire industrie a great deal? Ok.

I'm still asking myself if this is a trend in the videogame industry or simply a trend of GAF...

mio said:
Is it caturday?

Between Mario Galaxy's thread and this one, I would not say "no".

G4life98

kammy said:
I agree with the Article.

Its just the fanbois that have been peddling this crap all over the net, anyone disagreeing gets the banhammer.

The tides changing. Wii is a decent console, they need to just get off their high horse about this new generation bullshit.

im sorry but the article sounds like it was written by a fanboy overwhelmed by his bitter tears after mh3 was not announced on his system of choice.

and while the wii game will not match the graphical fidelity possible on the ps3, there is no reason to expect an ugly game or even one "not much better" than its ps2 predecessor...unless capcom totally shits the bed.

and i dont get why people are saying so matter of factly that this game will lack downloadables.

its not nintendo's fault that sony overestimated the value of thier big black box and paved thier own path to failure.

mcgarrett

Segata Sanshiro said:
If Nintendo set us back a generation, they were only able to do so because consumers chose it. Assuming Wii sales hold out, this is the general populace telling the games industry to slow down a bit and let its costs catch up so that $400 - $600 consoles don't happen anymore.
Exactly... it's like everyone has forgotten the fates of the 3D0 and Neo-Geo.

Jokeropia

Hahaha, so many tears. :lol

This is karma biting you in the ass for writing off and laughing at the Wii beforehand. :D
jett said:
So far the "waggling" on the wii is just replacing the push of a button with a gesture. The thing isn't even capable of 1:1 motions.
Wii Sports went beyond "just replacing a button press" right from the start. Wii can also do relative 1:1 from a set position, which works pretty much just as well since you don't tend to walk around much when playing videogames.

jett said:
So far the "waggling" on the wii is just replacing the push of a button with a gesture. The thing isn't even capable of 1:1 motions.

...so what is the wii waggling good for?

yep Metroid really shows this.......er wait

HylianTom

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Hahaha, so many tears. :lol
This is karma biting you in the ass for writing off and laughing at the Wii beforehand.

It really is quite entertaining. Nintendo should've included a message on the side of the Wii box advertising bitter online rants as an extra feature of the system. :D

k79

Banned
BishopLamont said:
With that logic you should love the Wii two times more than the Gamecube, since it's two Gamecubes duct taped together.

The Wii is hardly two times more the gamecube ... even 1.5 times more would be a stretch.
And gamecube level of graphics/gameplay was great last-gen, but in 2007 and forward it's unacceptable for a so called next-gen console.Especially for $250 :/

Cryect

Jokeropia said:
Wii can also do relative 1:1 from a set position, which works pretty much just as well since you don't tend to walk around much when playing videogames.

I don't know, I was hoping for the Wii Treadmill accessory.

Top Bottom