• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Rogers: "they've (Nintendo) set us (gaming) back a generation WAAAAAAH"

Ulairi

Banned
Amir0x said:
One piece of shallow tech demo fluff is the same as another, I always say.

Of course it's a toy. Let's face it though, Etch-A-Sketch was a lot cooler than other toys.

I just do not understand how some of you think that the Wii is hurting your gaming experience. There are two consoles, dedicated to your gaming tastes. Has the Wii hurt what has been released on the 360? If you like big, epic, expensive games, are they not being released now?

I have never played Monster Hunter, I do not care what platform it is released on. I understand if you're a huge fan of the franchise, that you'll have expectations of what the next game should be. But, from what I've read it sounds like an MMORPG without the MMO and not really big on quests. I'm sure that there are other games that will fill that taste for you.

I guess after writing about games for IGN and working on games, I have lost my hardcore cred. I just don't understand how someone can be so upset over a toy.

Ulairi said:
I just do not understand how some of you think that the Wii is hurting your gaming experience. There are two consoles, dedicated to your gaming tastes. Has the Wii hurt what has been released on the 360? If you like big, epic, expensive games, are they not being released now?
You're saying that in a "Monster Hunter cancelled on the PS3, moved to the Wii" thread?:lol

Tristam

Drinky Crow said:
d&d isn't a game when played in real life. it's the dice-rolling equivalent of locking antlers, where the horns are arbitrary rules and the prize is not the chance to poke a doe's vajayjay but to feel that your multi-apostrophed dark elf avatar -- i.e. the ideal you -- is better than the other idealized avatars in some quasi-objective way. it's about as fun as perforating your foreskin with screwdriver.

also, to the new blue ocean set, sales would seem to indicate that there AREN'T any better games than wii sports and wii play (and mario party 8). hey, you simpering fat fucks invited them; i didn't. i told my wife and daughter to stay the fuck away from my hd kit.

Flat or Phillips head?

And of course I'm disappointed that EAD doesn't make some of the same fucking sweet arcade games like they did on N64 (e.g., F-Zero X, 1080). But if they continue to make the same fucking sweet Mario and Zelda titles I'll continue to buy Nintendo's systems, Drinky Crow of NeoGAF be damned.

ulairi, people like you have made the word "disingenuous" so meaningless as to make me uncomfortable using it.

anyway, i resent it because its ill-understood success is leading publishers to throw money at it and more specifically to throw money -- a finite resource, btw, in case your privileged suburban childhood led you astray -- at it to create games that emulate the successful first-party ones. or, even worse, to throw sequels or clones of franchises i like at it where they will receive no audiovisual upgrade and will have some cumbersome gestural control implementation hacked in. see: monster hunter 3. simple?

Amir0x

Banned
Ulairi said:

I have never played Monster Hunter, I do not care what platform it is released on. I understand if you're a huge fan of the franchise, that you'll have expectations of what the next game should be. But, from what I've read it sounds like an MMORPG without the MMO and not really big on quests. I'm sure that there are other games that will fill that taste for you.

I guess after writing about games for IGN and working on games, I have lost my hardcore cred. I just don't understand how someone can be so upset over a toy.

I don't think you had to stretch very far to see how some would interpret the Wii as a threat to gaming's continued evolution, since this thread is effectively one big answer to your rhetoricals. This thread is partially about how Monster Hunter 3 is now stuck on Wii, so if you're wondering how these things affect people's 'gaming experiences' - for 360 or PS3 or any legitimately next-gen system - there you go.

No, there really aren't any other games I can think of anywhere that fill the role Monster Hunter did. Very few games are like it, outside of the baser qualifications of genre.

Redd

Ulairi said:

Because if you're not with us your against us. Video games are serious business:D

Tristam

I didn't know you guys liked MH, the series even its most diehard fans describe as boring and repetitive.

Oh well. Tough shit.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think you'd be surprised how many people look forward to npd day not because they really care how much any single game system sells, but just that it always seems to stymie the flow of elitists who dictate that only they get to decide what's worth making and what isn't. it's just beautiful.

Tenbatsu

Tristam said:
I didn't know you guys liked MH, the series even its most diehard fans describe as boring and repetitive.

Oh well. Tough shit.

Repetitive it is, but its not boring. Not everyone will appreciate the game.

Ulairi

Banned
Amir0x said:
I don't think you had to stretch very far to see how some would interpret the Wii as a threat to gaming's continued evolution, since this thread is effectively one big answer to your rhetoricals. This thread is partially about how Monster Hunter 3 is now stuck on Wii, so if you're wondering how these things affect people's 'gaming experiences' - for 360 or PS3 or any legitimately next-gen system - there you go.

No, there really aren't any other games I can think of anywhere that fill the role Monster Hunter did. Very few games are like it, outside of the baser qualifications of genre.

If you had to choose between no new entry in the franchise or the game being released on the Wii, which would you choose?

I ask this, because if you would rather the game not be made, then the game being released on the Wii shouldn't hurt your gaming habbits one way or the other. Do you like the older games any less now that the 360 and PS3 have been released? Are they no longer fun? Or is the question of "what might have been" enough to make a game less fun?

Drinky Crow said:
ulairi, people like you have made the word "disingenuous" so meaningless as to make me uncomfortable using it.

anyway, i resent it because its ill-understood success is leading publishers to throw money at it and more specifically to throw money -- a finite resource, btw, in case your priviliged suburban childhood led you astray -- at it to create games that emulate the successful first-party ones. or, even worse, to throw sequels or clones of franchises i like at it where they will receive no audiovisual upgrade and will have some cumbersome gestural control implementation hacked in. see: monster hunter 3. simple?

Thanks for insulting me. If your "hardcore" gaming platforms are great enough, shouldn't you be looking forward to all of the new experiences they offer, rather than a rehash of a game you have already played?

But please, go back to insulting my career and my education.

Speevy

Banned
When a majority of games on the PS3 and Xbox 360 feel sufficiently next generation, the Wii will start selling less than those two consoles.

Ulairi

Banned
Redd said:
Because if you're not with us your against us. Video games are serious business:D

My beliefs are good enough for my co-workers and friends who create games, but not good enough for a forum dedicated to products we make.

Amir0x

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i think you'd be surprised how many people look forward to npd day not because they really care how much any single game system sells, but just that it always seems to stymie the flow of elitists who dictate that only they get to decide what's worth making and what isn't. it's just beautiful.

In this case, I think it's far more amusing that the people who masturbate to the sale of shitty game products because of some perceived "ownage" of elitists are doing so at at the behest of industry erosion.

I guess it goes on to prove the point that once again, these people never played videogames in the first place.

Redd

Tenbatsu said:
Repetitive it is, but its not boring. Not everyone will appreciate the game.

I'm off to gamestop tomorrow to buy the psp and ps2 version of this game to see what all the fuss is about. I always thought games like Resident Evil and DMC were the great games and they're still coming out on 360/PS3. So at the very least this game must be good to get threads like these.

Redd said:
I'm off to gamestop tomorrow to buy the psp and ps2 version of this game to see what all the fuss is about. I always thought games like Resident Evil and DMC were the great games and they're still coming out on 360/PS3. So at the very least this game must be good to get threads like these.
It's not so much that this game is "good", but it's cancellation on the PS3 and becoming a Wii exclusive that rubbed people the wrong way.

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
In this case, I think it's far more amusing that the people who masturbate to the sale of shitty game products because of some perceived "ownage" of elitists are doing so at at the behest of industry erosion.

I guess it goes on to prove the point that once again, these people never played videogames in the first place.
One could call that an opinion.

beelzebozo said:

why would i care about the wii's sales outside of the fact that some publishers are dipshits and see potential for third-party sales where none exists? i don't give a shit that the pico sells well, or that there is apparently a market for those pacman-inna-controller doodads.

if folks would quietly admit that the wii is not a platform for serious gamers, save up their shekels, and buy a 360 or a ps3, we'd be cool. but no, we here in the reeking cesspit of gamerdom are not so lucky: we have defenders who think that a novelty controller tacked on to last-gen hardware is the FUTURE of their hobby, and they are willing to cut and measure their own favorite pastime just to support a corporate label and/or their own regressive sense of nostalgia. mene mene tekel upharsin, fagbags; where we should be united in contempt for an inferior product, we are divided. how quickly we sell our preferences out!

trejo

I like how now everyone is indignated that this franchise has moved to wii when I bet about 80% of you had never even heard of the games prior to this announcement.

Flakster99

*pauses his session of Wii MLB Power Pros*
Ahh, the usual suspects. Doom, gloom, hostile resentment. Back n' forth,
fencing.gif

Good luck with that!

*unpauses his session of Wii MLB Power Pros*

Redd

titiklabingapat said:
It's not so much that this game is "good", but it's cancellation on the PS3 and becoming a Wii exclusive that rubbed people the wrong way.

Wait so is this game good or so hardcore that a fan that likes games like Smash, Resident Evil, MGS, and Final Fantasies wouln't like? Or is this because it's just going to the Wii?

I've been following this thread and the other one here and there and it seems like this game must be somewhat good and not bad (Superman64 bad)to get this kind of reaction. I don't know so I was going to try it out at gamestop.

Drinky Crow said:

::popcorn::

Redd said:
Wait so is this game good or so hardcore that a fan that likes games like Smash, Resident Evil, MGS, and Final Fantasies wouln't like? Or is this because it's just going to the Wii?

I've been following this thread and the other one here and there and it seems like this game must be somewhat good and not bad (Superman64 bad)to get this kind of reaction. I don't know so I was going to try it out at gamestop.

For fans of the series, it's both. For non-fan haters(like Tim Rogers), it's the PS3 cancellation and exclusiveness to the Wii.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
wii - a gaming toy. ps3 - the best companion, lover and confidant to some poor souls. when something as the former threatens the stature of the something as the latter, threads like this happen.

delightful.

ps: i respect the ps3 as a toy and i'm buying a ps3 as soon as it hits a console pricepoint (LBP and GT5 are system sellers for me). but sony fans are unbelievable. i'll make sure to disable any voice chat in any online ps3 games i might be playing 'cause the thought of extensive verbal communication with such individuals is plain scaring.

Deku

Banned
When we've reached a point where subjective gaming experiences are being ruined by an objective success on a thread in a video game forum on the internets. Then the internet has won!

There really isn't much to say here. Of course I'd point out again none of the 3 manufacturers really delivered a genuine next-gen console in the traditional sense of gaming consoles. There was a battle of who had a larger electronic penii on one end and a wii on another, two extremes a happy medium does not make, though I suppose the whole Wii60 movement was part of an attempt to get the best of both.

Whining about lives being wrecked aside, I'm quite happy with the way things are, the market discipline is rather hard but necessary. Perhaps when the manufacturers come to their senses, we'd get a proper console, not consoles pretendting to be PCs or media devices or whatever the heck they plan to shove down our throats.

Redd

Drinky Crow said:
why would i care about the wii's sales outside of the fact that some publishers are dipshits and see potential for third-party sales where none exists? i don't give a shit that the pico sells well, or that there is apparently a market for those pacman-inna-controller doodads.

if folks would quietly admit that the wii is not a platform for serious gamers, save up their shekels, and buy a 360 or a ps3, we'd be cool. but no, we here in the reeking cesspit of gamerdom are not so lucky: we have defenders who think that a novelty controller tacked on to last-gen hardware is the FUTURE of their hobby, and they are willing to cut and measure their own favorite pastime just to support a corporate label and/or their own regressive sense of nostalgia. mene mene tekel upharsin, fagbags; where we should be united in contempt for an inferior product, we are divided. how quickly we sell our preferences out!

FFS Drinky some people buy Wiis for 1st party games, you take things to the extreme to much, chill man

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Drinky would not come here if you guys did not respond to him. Do your part today, for a brighter tomorrow!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the difference is that some people are rational enough to understand that nothing really drastic is going to change here. is the wii remote and any "waggle" functionality the ultimate answer to all future gaming solutions? no, of course not. and it's not applicable to a great number of games. but so many of you want to start hurtling sensationalist, sanctimonious bullshit about how it's going to make your precious nerdgasm games go away. and it's bullshit.

the truth is that some people are enjoying those "shitty" games you are so quick to dismiss on wii. am i one of them? not really. my family couldn't care less, and i play the occasional big release and dabble in virtual console. i own a 360. i love them both. but it's reflexive hardcore weenies that i find much more objectionable than a guy saying, "you know, i play this with my wife and kid, and they love it." meanwhile, your argument is dependent on the fate of hex-based stat grinders? really? they're not going anywhere, but i really wouldn't mind if they did.

ninthings are wholly incapable of not responding to me. to ignore me, they would have to be honest with themselves. there are wounds even the blue ocean cannot balm

Speevy

Banned
140.85 said:
I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Drinky would not come here if you did not respond to him. Do your part today, for a brighter tomorrow!

A thread about whether the Wii is a worthless novelty will always elicit a Drinky Crow response.

Amir0x

Banned
Failing the ability for these people to blame "Sony fans" for all the disgust at this move, they just end up falling back on blaming "Sony fans" anyway... even if the vocal detractors are typically defined by their hatred of Sony, or dislike of the entire PS3 strategy!

Who has not heard of Monster Hunter prior to this? I would think the image of hardcore Nintendo fans finally feeling comfortable enough to dig their way out of the self-imposed prisons, sheltering their eyes from the holy light of actual developer support would be enough to suggest exactly why this is an issue.

These guys spent an entire generation avoiding contact with reality and anything related to why they were involved with this hobby in the first place. Why should anyone be surprised that this ideology extends to being dumbfounded at the idea that some people actually want to see franchises EVOLVE!

Then they fall back and talk of LAPSED GAMERS and how they really didn't play because things were too samey! Years of buttons, ya see.

beelzebozo said:
the truth is that some people are enjoying those "shitty" games you are so quick to dismiss on wii. am i one of them? not really. my family couldn't care less, and i play the occasional big release and dabble in virtual console. i own a 360. i love them both. but it's reflexive hardcore weenies that i find much more objectionable than a guy saying, "you know, i play this with my wife and kid, and they love it." meanwhile, your argument is dependent on the fate of hex-based stat grinders? really? they're not going anywhere, but i really wouldn't mind if they did.

oh no, you are hating because of sales envy or something; i clearly recall you suggesting that the hatred of the wii sprung forth from a similar font

I don't need to point out the greatness of Drinky Crow, but its good time for gamers precisely because there are different and competing ideas of the future of gaming. It hasn't been this completely over the top and dramatic since the ZX days.

For the record, I'm a lapsed console gamer. Was never truly a fan of Nintendo until waggle. Well, you could say I'm a fan of waggle first, Nintendo second.

I do love Pokemon, and never knew they were by Nintendo when during the height of Pokemon fever.

Deku

Banned
A/V upgrades isn't evolution by any stretch of the imagination. I believe there is another thread about this concerning a couple of recent releases.

Tristam

140.85 said:
I just wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Drinky would not come here if you did not respond to him. Do your part today, for a brighter tomorrow!

But pointing out dorky analogies and inconsistencies is fun! I don't disagree with everything Drinky Crow says, but the meltdowns are spectacular. For those who take games so seriously, there really is only one way out:

slash_wrists.jpg

Be warned: somewhere, in the deepest circle of Hell, Iwata will force you and your deceased grandmother to waggle to Mario Party 8 for all eternity.

Duke Togo

blu said:
wii - a gaming toy. ps3 - the best companion, lover and confidant to some poor souls. when something as the former threatens the stature of the something as the latter, threads like this happen.

delightful.

ps: i respect the ps3 as a toy and i'm buying a ps3 as soon as it hits a console pricepoint (LBP and GT5 are system sellers for me). but sony fans are unbelievable. i'll make sure to disable any voice chat in any online ps3 games i might be playing 'cause the thought of extensive verbal communication with such individuals is plain scaring.
PSN will weep when it learns of your absence from voice chat. Its a pity wii doesn't have voice chat, so you can communicate with the intellectuals that are surely playing that console.

lexi

Banned
Wow @ this thread. And who said PC gaming was in trouble? I'm happy to be free of the bullshit politics exhibited here.

*goes back to playing UT3 demo*

Broktune

Banned
I just wish Nintendo would release mo' bettah games. IMO, there's been this trickle of mediocrity in the games dept. from them. I hate Mario. I hate his fucking face. So I'm not looking forward to his game. I AM looking forward to Smash Bros., as I will have the chance to kick his ass all over.

Top Bottom