• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

Mudhoney

EktorPR said:
Yeah, why should the Xbots be the only ones allowed to celebrate and be happy when a really good game comes out for their favorite system? Wii fans have been clamoring for one since launch day.
Something tells me this will be the way people talk even after the holidays and SMG. People still hang on to the "no good games" attitude even after MP3, Super Paper Mario (hey I liked it a lot), Zack and Wiki, Trauma Center, and a number of other worthy titles.

E-phonk

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:
Where are you people coming from. And why do all you people have imports and or live in Japan. Spork with his 3d Mario apathy, tnw with whatever hes selling and now you. Why do you you uncleans have this game before me.
Aaarr! All aaarrr aboard the spaceship.

EktorPR

Mudhoney said:
Something tells me this will be the way people talk even after the holidays and SMG. People still hang on to the "no good games" attitude even after MP3, Super Paper Mario (hey I liked it a lot), Zack and Wiki, Trauma Center, and a number of other worthy titles.

Ok, I think I didn't explain myself clearly. All those games you mentioned are indeed, great, but not OMG SYSTEM SELLING great...like Galaxy. I'm the first to defend Zack & Wiki's greatness, but the game has its niche: not everybody is going to like it because it doesn't appeal to them. Mario, on the other hand, has universal appeal. So, to have Galaxy be the first universal-appeal, AAA game is reason enough for celebration and joy. Hopefully that explains things a bit better. : /

Weisheit

Mudhoney said:
Pretty much. They said the same thing before MP3 released and their still saying it after.

EktorPR

Weisheit said:
Pretty much. They said the same thing before MP3 released and their still saying it after.

?

EktorPR said:
Ok, I think I didn't explain myself clearly. All those games you mentioned are indeed, great, but not OMG SYSTEM SELLING great...like Galaxy. I'm the first to defend Zack & Wiki's greatness, but the game has its niche: not everybody is going to like it because it doesn't appeal to them. Mario, on the other hand, has universal appeal. So, to have Galaxy be the first universal-appeal, AAA game is reason enough for celebration and joy. Hopefully that explains things a bit better. : /

?? :/ x 2

MasterAJ22 said:
Not sure if this has been reported, but I work at Toys R Us in the "R Zone" video game section and I saw an early copy of our ad running the week Galaxy comes out, and it said you get a $25 gift card when you buy Galaxy (11th-17th). Knowing the way it works there, the card would be for your next purchase. And a week or two back we ran a promotion where you get a free Wii Controller Slip when you pre-order the game. From how I know that store works, they don't have any way of checking when you pre-ordered so you should be able to still get the slip for free. And obviously, you get the coin if you pre-order upon pickup.

I'm going to preorder tomorrow and upon pick up, get all that free shit, and then probably get guitar hero 3 25 bucks off. sweet.

Wasn't sure if this deserved its own thread, so I just posted it in here. :D

Reposting for those who missed last night.

SantaC

I got 21 stars right now and the game gets better and better. :D

The missions are varied and fun, and the music! THE FUCKING MUSIC! It's the best music OST I heard in a long time from Nintendo.

I am gonna play this baby all weekend!

SantaC

This is what Matt-IGN posted:

Matt-IGN said:
bowing.jpg

Nintendo's Toyko studio, 1,000 bows.

20 stars through and I am blown away. Serious ownage. Game lays the beat down on all who play it.

Matt

KarishBHR

The stingray level (not a spoiler since its been in multiple screens released) made great use of the wii-mote... any more creative wii-mote uses throughout the game?

schuelma said:
I'm guessing no, but does this apply to online orders?

I didn't read the ad that closely, but like you said, I'm guessing no. I'm going to get my paycheck in the next hour or two, so I'll try and get my hands on that ad if it's still laying around. I honestly have no idea where my department supervisor pulled it from, but he's the one who showed it to me in the first place.

SantaC

KarishBHR said:
The stingray level (not a spoiler since its been in multiple screens released) made great use of the wii-mote... any more creative wii-mote uses throughout the game?

Yeah later on you stand on a ball, rolling it a long a path, almost like monkey ball. Very clever use there.

Speevy

Banned
I thought I'd use this awesome thread of joy to share some completely unrelated, yet still completely awesome news.

My mother is perfectly fine! No cancer. Woohoo.

Oh, and Super Mario Galaxy will be awesome.

skip

Speevy said:
I thought I'd use this awesome thread of joy to share some completely unrelated, yet still completely awesome news.

it doesn't seem like the right word for some reason, but congrats.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Speevy said:

Great news

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SantaC said:
Yeah later on you stand on a ball, rolling it a long a path, almost like monkey ball. Very clever use there.

I hated that level! I died like five times trying to go on all of the narrow paths. The wiimote controls did work rather well, though.

EktorPR said:

So....8.8?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As much as I hate getting into the heated debate about synth vs orchestra, I really hope this game is the defining point where Nintendo realise that an orchestral game soundtrack does not mean that it is bad to configure.

beef3483

EktorPR said:

Prime 3 is, if anybody wanted to notice it.

AzerPhire

Just finished the game.

Overall I wouldn't say it is better than SM64 as that brought alot of new and inventive ideas with it for the time and was executed almost flawlessly. It is however the best platrformer to come out since then.

Overall the game took me 7 hours to beat, taking my time to finish each galaxy until I reached the required number of stars to go to the end. Like others the difficulty was the biggest problem for me as I only died if I did something foolish and fell off a platform. As well I was really REALLY dissapointed with the
last fight and ending. Not at all satisfying and mostly a repeat of all the fights beforehand.

I will continue to play and try for more stars to see if the difficulty ramps up but for now after finishing the game I'd give it a solid 9.2.

Tristam

AzerPhire said:
Just finished the game.

Overall I wouldn't say it is better than SM64 as that brought alot of new and inventive ideas with it for the time and was executed almost flawlessly. It is however the best platrformer to come out since then.

Overall the game took me 7 hours to beat, taking my time to finish each galaxy until I reached the required number of stars to go to the end. Like others the difficulty was the biggest problem for me as I only died if I did something foolish and fell off a platform. As well I was really REALLY dissapointed with the
last fight and ending. Not at all satisfying and mostly a repeat of all the fights beforehand.

I will continue to play and try for more stars to see if the difficulty ramps up but for now after finishing the game I'd give it a solid 9.2.

Damn, 7 hours? Did you only get half the stars?

gray_fox224

Speevy said:

I'm happy for me, bro. =)

Koomaster

MasterAJ22 said:
Reposting for those who missed last night.
How does this work? You just go in and buy it when it comes out and they will give you the $25 giftcard?

Or do you have to do something else like pre-order or be a part of some rewards program or something?

Captain N

I love the color and that feeling I get when Mario jumps off the ledge and the camera pans...and he is standing upside down on the planet. Amazing!

If anyone wants my club code PM me

Ok I just went to GS and traded my copy of Halo 3 towards Galaxy. Heres how much I got

Halo 3 ESRP= $65

Traded Halo 3 = $35 in store credit
plus 20% extra in store = $42
plus Mario Galaxy offer 20% more = $49
plus 10% of Edge card subscription = $53.90 for Halo 3 in store credit
paid off Galaxy along with what I paid for preorder and still had left credit and put it towards CoD4

If ya ask me, that deal isnt pretty bad. Specially if you have new games ya dont play, or older games where you can get a pretty good credit on it. Good thing is if ya take $100 in credit add the 50% credit cause you were gonna preorder galaxy, still a $100 is left for you to spend on the store.

Top Bottom