• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

AniHawk

rakka said:
not surprising, knowing nintendo. first prime 3 now this

Prime 3 was never going to be a big seller. It's fucking Metroid Prime. And Super Mario Galaxy is continuing in the line of 3D Mario games, where only 2 have broken 1m, and both were Super Mario 64.

rakka

AniHawk said:
Prime 3 was never going to be a big seller. It's fucking Metroid Prime.
that, combined with nintendo's shitty attempt in advertising retro's effort.
maybe if they marketed the game to those who'd actually buy (core gamers, nintendo fans) it it wouldn't have done so bad. it didn't deserve those horrible wii would like to play ads

AniHawk

rakka said:
that, combined with nintendo's shitty attempt in advertising retro's effort.
maybe if they marketed the game to those who'd actually buy (core gamers, nintendo fans) it it wouldn't have done so bad. it didn't deserve those horrible wii would like to play ads
The only hardcore owners of the Wii are Nintendo fans. And Nintendo fans didn't buy many copies of the last two Metroid Primes either. MP3's numbers are pretty much in line with the rest of the series. That's my point.

AniHawk said:
The only hardcore owners of the Wii are Nintendo fans. And Nintendo fans didn't buy many copies of every Metroid game ever. MP3's numbers are pretty much in line with the rest of the series. That's my point.
Fixed.

AniHawk

Magicpaint said:
In Anihawk land, yeah. Thankfully that stays completely in the fantasy realm where it belongs.

I only mean saleswise. For instance, the five Metroid Prime games (1-3, Pinball, Hunters) only have one million seller in the bunch, whereas, out of the five Metroid games (1, 2, Super, Fusion, Zero), there are four million sellers.

I think the only series that actually got a boost or never went down were the 3D Zeldas. They've pretty much stayed as popular as they've always been in WW sales.

wazoo

Metroid Prime was the 2nd best selling of the whole serie. Then, MP2 flops very badly, then you can discuss about the Halo2 effect or the simple fact, that people did not like MP1 AFTER they bought it despite very good reviews. In that case, I do not expect MP3 to change that.

rakka

MP3's numbers are pretty much in line with the rest of the series. That's my point.
it's doing worse atm, and i doubt it'll outsell the first one.

AniHawk said:
The only hardcore owners of the Wii are Nintendo fans.
well in that case, nintendo had a perfect chance to attract more of them, but instead attempted to sell the game to mom and dad, who didn't buy the game in the end anyway

AniHawk said:
I only mean saleswise. For instance, the five Metroid Prime games (1-3, Pinball, Hunters) only have one million seller in the bunch, whereas, out of the five Metroid games (1, 2, Super, Fusion, Zero), there are four million sellers.

I think the only series that actually got a boost or never went down were the 3D Zeldas. They've pretty much stayed as popular as they've always been in WW sales.
So Pinball and Hunters were somehow expected to sell as much as an actual Metroid game? Those do not belong there. Prime 3 is very likely to sell better than Prime 2 (which came close enough to reaching a million), and if it does, that's be 2 out of 3 in the Prime series, which is comparable to the 2D Games.

Prime is also the best selling Metroid game. ;)

AniHawk

rakka said:
it's doing worse atm, and i doubt it'll outsell the first one.

The first one sold 3m WW and was bundled with the GC at one point. So no, MP3 won't beat the first one. It should beat the second one though, and make the series a disappointing one overall with its own disappointing numbers, thus making it sell in line with the rest of the series.

well in that case, nintendo had a perfect chance to attract more of them, but instead attempted to sell the game to mom and dad, who didn't buy the game in the end anyway

There aren't "more of them." In fact, judging by the drop off after Prime for Echoes, and the general indifference towards Hunters, I was a little surprised 370k people cared enough about it to buy it in the first 6 weeks.

It's sorta like expecting Radiant Dawn to signficantly beat Path of Radiance in sales. It's a nice thought, but it's not going to happen.

rakka

AniHawk said:
There aren't "more of them."
by 'more of them', i meant gamers.

and besides, my point is prime 3 would have sold more, had the marketing been better. you're trying to say otherwise?

AniHawk

rakka said:
by 'more of them', i meant gamers.

and besides, my point is prime 3 would have sold more, had the marketing been better. you're trying to say otherwise?

It probably would have sold a little better, but I think the hardcore "gamer" segment is firmly rooted in 360 territory.

You're talking about a game that went up against Bioshock, and then Halo. Anyone who wanted to get a system for a FPS had their choice made for them.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo usually sells well in weekends..

thats why they usually had friday and no thursday releases (i believe they changed that recently.. dunno why) in Japan..

so we have to watch how it does over the weekend

Zelda PH sold about 150k on the first day and its pretty obvious that it will be a million seller by the end of the year

rakka said:
:)

true - and again, no one but nintendo is to blame for that.
Which in turn was the hardcore gamers fault for not buying Nintendo stuff.

If everyone bought thier gamecube, Nintendo wouldn't have thought about the core gamers getting "bored".

:lol

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
tnw said:
I think it would have been fun to have some suits/power ups from earlier games. Feather is my favorite for sure, but a hammer bros. suit, etc from SMB3 would have been pretty awesome.

The thing is, noone takes you seriously because your comments are so non-sensical, as you keep saying stuff like this, that if would be ore fun if.. then state something that is clearly in the game. There ARE suits from earlier games, much more than any other recent Mario game, and a ton of throw-backs in that sense. Basically, you're grasping at straws, and want ALL power-ups from previous games, or something unrealistic and ridiculous like that. Its fantastic that they decided to mix old and new power-ups. And a feather? REALLY? I mean you're pseudo flying almost the entire game, floating, then you also have the bee power-up. A feather would have been redundant as hell. Not like there masses stretches of nothing just to fly over. It just seems as if you're making a huge effort to find things 'wrong' with the game, and coming up with odd crap instead of attempting to take the game at face value and enjoying whats there. Its somewhat pathetic, especially in light of your repeated insistence that the game looked unimpressive before it was even out. One would define it as trolling.

rakka said:
can't blame them for not wanting to buy a console that looked like it did
Nintendo thought otherwise and thus we get Wii Fit.

Anyway, Mario Galaxy should do comparatively better in the States. I'm not sure how big Mario is in PAL land though. IIRC, Both Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 got most of their sales in North America.

ksamedi

AniHawk said:
The first one sold 3m WW and was bundled with the GC at one point. So no, MP3 won't beat the first one. It should beat the second one though, and make the series a disappointing one overall with its own disappointing numbers, thus making it sell in line with the rest of the series.

There aren't "more of them." In fact, judging by the drop off after Prime for Echoes, and the general indifference towards Hunters, I was a little surprised 370k people cared enough about it to buy it in the first 6 weeks.

It's sorta like expecting Radiant Dawn to signficantly beat Path of Radiance in sales. It's a nice thought, but it's not going to happen.

I think 3 being the best in the series has something to do with it, Its much more playeble. I think word of mouth could push it even beyond Prime 1.

Squeak

Enk said:
Dammit Reggie how did you get in here!?!

I swear everytime I turn around he sneaks in to grab a piece of my cheese (I do have some tasty cheese). It's even worse when the Miyamoto crawls into my window at night to plant a mushroom garden under my bed. And don't get me started on J. Allard! Ever wondered where he's been? Did you see Halloween (the original not the rotten remake)? Everytime I look out my window, there he is, staring at me behind my oak tree with those soft, haunting eyes, the light glistening off his head. I blink once and he vanishes occasionally leaving behind copies of Azurik: Rise of Perathia.

Oh the horrible life I live.
Sir, you are a comedy genius and I want to subscribe.

ksamedi said:
I think 3 being the best in the series has something to do with it, Its much more playeble. I think word of mouth could push it even beyond Prime 1.

I certainly hope so. I've just beaten
Gandrayda
and I'm loving it. I'll certainly be recommending it to everyone I know who has a Wii.

I think Mario will do alright in the end, going off the reviews.

Its like best game ever material stuff and I usually only get wowed by hi def next gen games.

The controls are spot on and like how they changed mario to give him more details and animation than before.

gray_fox224

Tieno said:
Mind quoting the post? Not everyone has an account at cheapassgamer...

Oh I'm sorry,

Apparently, you can get a $25 gift card when you buy SMG during the release week. No confirmation yet though. Those without CAG accounts don't fret, I will update it here. I hope it's true=)

Mudhoney

Tieno said:
Mind quoting the post? Not everyone has an account at cheapassgamer...
CAG said:
*****FREE $25 GIFT CARD***** In-Store only.
WITH THE PURCHASE OF SUPER MARIO GALAXY ($49.99) (Wii)

There doesn't appear to be a scan of the promotion yet, so it's not confirmed yet.

kottila

gray_fox224 said:
Oh I'm sorry,

Apparently, you can get a $25 gift card when you buy SMG during the release week. No confirmation yet though. Those without CAG accounts don't fret, I will update it here. I hope it's true=)

So you get Zack and Wiki almost free?

wazoo

ksamedi said:

sales and quality ar not connected. at all. never.

Okay... I've learned too much about the game in this thread... too much... must leave now... I can't keep myself from highlighting spoilers...

Although, if I remember correctly, a fair amount of Super Mario Bros. 3 was spoiled by The Wizard for me, but I still ended up having a good experience... so I guess all hope is not lost...

But yeah, knowing that megaton spoiler from post 4938 has made me sad...

Captain N

anyone else import the game like me? I will still be picking up the same on the 13th/14th. This weekend is Super Mario Weekend for me. I already told my girlfriend to take my credit card and get out of the house.

Mrbob

Looks like I'll be doubling my wii game collection from one to two soon.

Surprised this game comes out on a Monday though.

I thought Nintendo released all their big games on Sundays?

cvxfreak

They actually made Bowser hard this time. This first encounter with him was harder than the final one from SM64 as well as Sunshine's.

33 stars in one sitting yesterday.

It's absolutely amazing. At one moment, where I managed to time a particularly stomach-flipping swoop down from a star with some real goosebump-inducing music, I nearly cried.

Gobsmackingly good. Even my sky-high expectations have been surpassed. It's an absolute masterpiece.

tnw

Banned
Slurpy said:
The thing is, noone takes you seriously because your comments are so non-sensical, as you keep saying stuff like this, that if would be ore fun if.. then state something that is clearly in the game. There ARE suits from earlier games, much more than any other recent Mario game, and a ton of throw-backs in that sense. Basically, you're grasping at straws, and want ALL power-ups from previous games, or something unrealistic and ridiculous like that. Its fantastic that they decided to mix old and new power-ups. And a feather? REALLY? I mean you're pseudo flying almost the entire game, floating, then you also have the bee power-up. A feather would have been redundant as hell. Not like there masses stretches of nothing just to fly over. It just seems as if you're making a huge effort to find things 'wrong' with the game, and coming up with odd crap instead of attempting to take the game at face value and enjoying whats there. Its somewhat pathetic, especially in light of your repeated insistence that the game looked unimpressive before it was even out. One would define it as trolling.

state something clearly in the game. Okay, I don't think the bee suit is cool. It wasn't a good idea in my opinion. it doesn't have to be from a previous game necessarily, but the bee suit isn't really that great. You are NOT pseudo flying most of the game, everything around you is, but not you. You don't actually have any control over mario when you go between planets, so you don't really fly except for when you are a bee.

And me 'making a huge effort' to find what's wrong with the game, you easily ignore everything positive I've said about it, but since it's in uber hype mode at the moment, it's sacrilidge to post anything critical about the game. I don't think not participating in circle jerk means I'm a troll. I tried to make a post where I highlighted things I liked about it and things I didn't like about it, and you in particular zero in on everything negative i said about the game.

....and I usually only get wowed by hi def next gen games.

>_>

tnw said:
state something clearly in the game. Okay, I don't think the bee suit is cool. It wasn't a good idea in my opinion. it doesn't have to be from a previous game necessarily, but the bee suit isn't really that great. You are NOT pseudo flying most of the game, everything around you is, but not you. You don't actually have any control over mario when you go between planets, so you don't really fly except for when you are a bee.

And me 'making a huge effort' to find what's wrong with the game, you easily ignore everything positive I've said about it, but since it's in uber hype mode at the moment, it's sacrilidge to post anything critical about the game. I don't think not participating in circle jerk means I'm a troll. I tried to make a post where I highlighted things I liked about it and things I didn't like about it, and you in particular zero in on everything negative i said about the game.

>_>

Electronic calculator Xing network members debate........? WUT??

Also no one said you fly, and we already know Mario just jumps between planets.

rhino4evr

tnw said:

>_>

I don't mind negative impressions at all. I just find your "nitpicking" to be completely trivial to even register it as an actual fault in the game. It seems more like a fault in your strange expectations.

Top Bottom